• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Contrary to popular opinion, big multinational corporations don't 'need' any of us.

How about operating systems, like Android? Does it need you?

hwalker said:

Hopefully a sign of good things to come for Nokia:
best_buy_zpscf46bfb9.jpg

SeanR1221

Decided to hold off on a 5 right now. My upgrade isn't till January (I was going to take my sister in laws). Money is tight so I shouldn't be dropping 300.00 on technology.

Now, that makes the 920 more interesting. We'll see by January. I just don't want to make the same mistake as before when I quick returned the phone and missed iOS too much.

Lets see if MS can step up their app game.

Bullza2o

Hopefully a sign of good things to come for Nokia:
best_buy_zpscf46bfb9.jpg

I sure hope this just means they opened the preorder curtains too early and are trying to launch at the same time as AT&T/other stores. I have a $120 BB gift card that I would like to use.

Oh and do you guys think I should wait for Black Friday to maybe get a better discount/deal? Is there a chance?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Decided to hold off on a 5 right now.

My sister picked up an iPhone 5. I don't like how it looks, the screen is way too cramped horizontally, I still don't like iOS, and the maps app (which is horrendous everywhere) is just laughably bad where I live. I'm not impressed with absolutely anything about it. I'll stick with my iPad.

Even on the Android side, I'm not impressed with anything right now. I'm not buying a damn LG phone, the Galaxy Nexus was hobbled with a bad camera, and I'm not doing skins and playing the rooting/waiting game for updates.

Even if I had switched to iOS or Android earlier this year, I'd be wanting a Lumia 920 come next month. No doubt about it. I like you guys, but I'd switch in a heartbeat if there was something as awesome as the 920 elsewhere.

kn1ves24

Bit of a odd question I have. The Lumia 900 users here, how is the actually call quality when you are talking on the phone? I have a Focus Flash at the moment and I don't know if its just my phone or the people I'm talking to but the call quality just seems bad. Lots of crackle and it sounds like its going to drop the call but doesn't.

I'm asking 900 users basically cause I'm going to assume the 920 will be similar.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping on the 29th we finally get more carrier news. Telus has been very quiet. I may pee a little if they announce the cyan 920 in Canada since black is exclusive to Rogers.

SeanR1221

My sister picked up an iPhone 5. I don't like how it looks, the screen is way too cramped horizontally, I still don't like iOS, and the maps app (which is horrendous everywhere) is just laughably bad where I live. I'm not impressed with absolutely anything about it. I'll stick with my iPad.

Even on the Android side, I'm not impressed with anything right now. I'm not buying a damn LG phone, the Galaxy Nexus was hobbled with a bad camera, and I'm not doing skins and playing the rooting/waiting game for updates.

Even if I had switched to iOS or Android earlier this year, I'd be wanting a Lumia 920 come next month. No doubt about it. I like you guys, but I'd switch in a heartbeat if there was something as awesome as the 920 elsewhere.

So lets break this down. I tried a Surround when it launched, moving from a 3GS. My main complaints were lack of multitasking (which I knew would be fixed, but it bothered me a lot), subpar camera, lack of apps, and pretty bad screen resolution. Oh yeah and a terrible battery.

The 920 fixes all of the above, well...except the app part. Here are my most used apps

Facebook- I want timeline integration. I want to be able to like a comment, not just a post. I want to be able to tag a person and a location even in a picture.

Spotify - should be identical

Instagram - not available

Mint - not available

Pandora - not available

YouTube - no official app available

Kik- when I tried this before, I wasn't getting numbered notifications on the tile, just toast notifications which doesn't cut it

Fitocracy - not available

My fitness pal - the same

Dropbox - not available

Reminders - is there something equal to apples app?

Timers - I use these all the time for work. I need something that can run in the background.

Games - I accept there aren't as many games, but common MS, you should be able to get the heavy hitters day one. And the vast majority of games weren't close to the amount of content on ios. For example Angry Birds which never even got fast app switching, let alone the hundreds of levels ios got.

Not to mention I use an iPad and Macs so iCloud is nice.

I WANT to like the 920, but these reasons hold me back.

Commodore

Hey that's a start! Mint is huge for me. I check my budgets before buying things a lot.

There a lots of timer and reminder apps I've used on marketplace. Most of them would probably work fine. You've got XBOX music to use instead of Pandora, baked in integration too. As well as SkyDrive instead of DropBox. Seems like you'll be fine to enjoy the phone you want.

thirty

Banned
there are 2 3rd party apps to access Pandora. there's no kik but whatapp is there. instagram will probably be announced next Monday.

PG2G

Kik has been there a while. It (and whatsapp) are kind of crappy though

There a lots of timer and reminder apps I've used on marketplace. Most of them would probably work fine. You've got XBOX music to use instead of Pandora, baked in integration too. As well as SkyDrive instead of DropBox. Seems like you'll be fine to enjoy the phone you want.

Xbox Music is only free streaming on Windows 8 so not really a good substitute

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Kik has been there a while. It (and whatsapp) are kind of crappy though

This is the other problem with WP7 right now. Even some of the apps we got such as Spotify were just thrown out there. A lot of them aren't up to snuff, and they tend to never be updated like other platforms.

I hope WP8 rectifies this.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's too bad you're so busy being mad that you don't have time to actually understand why I have been personally backing Android. It turns out that none of those reasons have anything to do with Android 'needing' me.

Could you keep your Android backing in the Android thread then. That would be great, thanks.

I think it is your history in this thread that irks people and you admit to starting shit in in the past.

If everyone's going to be living in the past and rehashing ancient grudges for eternity then we might as well all quit posting. There's a lot of shit I'm sure all of us who have been here a long time would like to forget in our posting history.

sm0UZ.png

apparently the everything everywhere 4g plans are:
500mb - £36
1gb - £41
3gb - £46
5gb - £51
8gb - £56

all of which include unlimited calls & texts.

hopefully someone else will get the 920 here in the uk, so i don't have to pay a premium for a service i can't use.

hadareud

The Translator
41 quid for 1 gig of data is an absolute joke, especially considering I'll be outside the 4G areas for 80 or 90 % of the time.

984 pounds for a 2 year contract with very little data. Wankers.

Giffgaff is getting more and more tempting.

it's pathetic that they're offering the fastest service in the uk, then capping you at a measly 500mb. also i don't really understand why i'd need 4g speeds for my phone, i won't be downloading anything that requires that speed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ya'll acting like we don't know the phones will be released in early November. That's really all that matters. Pre orders will happen shortly before that, and since we're in late October, that's pretty much sometime within the next week or so.

Also, thurrott really is a whiny little baby. I finally got around to listening to windows weekly and he rips into MS for RT and rips into Nokia and Elop. All because he wasn't invited to the surface event last week that verge and Engadget went to, plus those other outlets got review units and he didn't. But with his passive aggressive and often irrational ramblings, I don't blame MS for keeping him at arms length.

Mary Jo, on the other hand, should definitely have been invited.

Commodore

Carcassonne is up on the US store. $2.99. Go go go!

E: concerning preorders, seems reality is preorders won't be up till the 29th when everything gets laid out on the table finally. No use bashing up against a wall of no info till then.

Ya'll acting like we don't know the phones will be released in early November. That's really all that matters. Pre orders will happen shortly before that, and since we're in late October, that's pretty much sometime within the next week or so.

Also, thurrott really is a whiny little baby. I finally got around to listening to windows weekly and he rips into MS for RT and rips into Nokia and Elop. All because he wasn't invited to the surface event last week that verge and Engadget went to, plus those other outlets got review units and he didn't. But with his passive aggressive and often irrational ramblings, I don't blame MS for keeping him at arms length.

Mary Jo, on the other hand, should definitely have been invited.

She was pretty vocal against Windows 8 so I am pretty sure she is also blacklisted. I don't understand the reason to silence the critics like Thurrot at least he makes some good points. I rather listen to him than hearing the Verge whine about how lame all Microsoft products are or Lumia would be better running android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom