• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
2) Will happen with Apollo

3) I'm looking forward to Nokia PureView phones

5) Apollo is bringing expandable storage to the mix. So basically the days of storage problems will be over.

1) and 4) are already here, so I wouldn't expect it to change. Actually by the time Apollo hits with its new SoC's, I'd expect the LTE antennas will be fully integrated and not be a major drain on battery life. Actually I'm not sure but that may already be the case for the Lumia 900 - I'd have to look it up (LTE isn't hitting my area until around June, so I can't personally test it right now).

Yeah I know Apollo should fit all I want. I'll just have to see who puts out what phone wise. I'd like a Nokia, but I hope they aren't lagging behind again like they did with Gen 2 handsets. That might make me cave and get another Samsung device. :/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My Next Phone Wish List:

1) 4" - 4.3" : Sweet Spot between being to bulky for my sized hands and being a tad small when wanting to really use the phone for more than a quick glance!

2) 1280 x 720 Screen: It would help with text reading and just give you that extra pop when looking at higher res photos/videos.

3) A camera that takes solid pics in all situations:

4) LTE :

5) 16 Gigs of Storage +: I'm over getting a stock 8 gig phone and having the option to upgrade the storage. 16 gigs or bust with the option for 32 gigs being WINRAR!

1, 3 and 4 should be no problem. We already have phones that achieve those.

For 1, I'd throw 3.7 into the mix, and possibly 4.5 depending on thinness and profile. For 2, I'll agree and insist that my next phone has a high res display. Not cause I think the screen on my current phone is awful or anything, but I saw the Note and some other phones at AT&T and I could definitely go for high dpi displays.

In terms of 5, 16 gb's is not enough, trust me. I have a 16gb phone right now, and with a decent amount of music synced in, some videos I shot with the camera, pics, apps, and podcasts I only have about 3gb's left, and I still have a whole year left on my phone contract. I'm definitely not buying a phone unless it either has 32gb built in or with an option for expandable storage.

Honestly, I see Windows Phone 8 giving us all the kind of hardware we all crave right now. The real question is how they push forward on the software side. Not just with 3rd party apps (I'm actually fine with the current progress), but with the OS itself:

How do they improve on the voice dictation features? How do they evolve Bing? We know Mango gave it a bunch of new features, how do they expand it even more? Is IE10 going to be competitive with the Fall version of Safari and the Android browser? How do they evolve the People, Picture, and Music hubs? Can we get new Hubs? How do they effectively deal with notifications? How do they push the live tile concept forward? Can they be bothered to update the core apps (mail, people, music, picture, bing, etc.) independently of firmware so that we don't get as badly shitted on by the carriers? Skype, are they done dicking around with that? Can we get a badass app out of that or what?

I can do this all day folks.

ElNino

Still no 4G/LTE toggle in the version of WP7 on the 900. Data is either on or off.

To the other person: There is no LTE in Pittsburgh just the renamed 3G network.
There is a 4G/LTE toggle on the Lumia 900 on Rogers. Under the cellular menu there is an option for "Highest connection speed" with the choices E, 3G and 4G.

I have mine set to 3G since I'm not on an LTE plan and it seems to have helped my battery life a bit. On Rogers with 3G set as my maximum, my data will switch between 3G and 4G according to the Lumia, but in this case 4G is really just HSPA+.

PS: On the battery life of the Lumia, I'm very pleased with it. Now that I have settled in with my old apps and I'm more or less just using the Lumia as I did my Focus, I can easily get a full day of moderate use (~16 hours) and have plenty of battery to spare, which wasn't always the case on the Focus. Right now I'm at 1 day, 15 hours since my last charge and my battery is at 25% but that is with light/moderate use as I don't use it as much on the weekend. Even so, that does include some photos/videos, email/SMS receiving and sending, a couple of phone calls, checking ESPN scores/highlights and a bit of YouTube.

PG2G

1) and 4) are already here, so I wouldn't expect it to change. Actually by the time Apollo hits with its new SoC's, I'd expect the LTE antennas will be fully integrated and not be a major drain on battery life. Actually I'm not sure but that may already be the case for the Lumia 900 - I'd have to look it up (LTE isn't hitting my area until around June, so I can't personally test it right now).

Its a separate chip in the Lumia 900. It uses a SoC without a antennae (APQ instead of MSM, I believe). Think only the S4 line has it integrated

bedlamite

According to WMPoweruser, Viber is getting an official WP7 announcement this week.

not sure how big Viber is is in the US, but it's pretty popular here in Asia. Good to see this app coming to the OS.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure about my thoughts on the battery life yet. Maybe I have too many things on, push notifications, etc. Need more time with it.

ChanHuk

Banned
Why LTE/4G disable isn't included is probably because of AT&T. The iPhone 4S doesn't include a 3G/4G disable on AT&T but on Verizon/Sprint it does.

1, 3 and 4 should be no problem. We already have phones that achieve those.

For 1, I'd throw 3.7 into the mix, and possibly 4.5 depending on thinness and profile. For 2, I'll agree and insist that my next phone has a high res display. Not cause I think the screen on my current phone is awful or anything, but I saw the Note and some other phones at AT&T and I could definitely go for high dpi displays.

In terms of 5, 16 gb's is not enough, trust me. I have a 16gb phone right now, and with a decent amount of music synced in, some videos I shot with the camera, pics, apps, and podcasts I only have about 3gb's left, and I still have a whole year left on my phone contract. I'm definitely not buying a phone unless it either has 32gb built in or with an option for expandable storage.

Honestly, I see Windows Phone 8 giving us all the kind of hardware we all crave right now. The real question is how they push forward on the software side. Not just with 3rd party apps (I'm actually fine with the current progress), but with the OS itself:

How do they improve on the voice dictation features? How do they evolve Bing? We know Mango gave it a bunch of new features, how do they expand it even more? Is IE10 going to be competitive with the Fall version of Safari and the Android browser? How do they evolve the People, Picture, and Music hubs? Can we get new Hubs? How do they effectively deal with notifications? How do they push the live tile concept forward? Can they be bothered to update the core apps (mail, people, music, picture, bing, etc.) independently of firmware so that we don't get as badly shitted on by the carriers? Skype, are they done dicking around with that? Can we get a badass app out of that or what?

I can do this all day folks.

Obviously I know as much as you do at this point, but I doubt Microsoft would release a full version revision with anything less than addressing most of everything you said there.

In my opinion, the most important thing to me, is getting the app marketplace more mature. I know currently it has like 75% of the top apps anyway, but still, I'd like to see companies start to take the platform seriously when releasing apps. I'm talking ability to release things like GTA 3, Steam, or other, complex games or apps on WP8 day and date with iOS and Android.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Obviously I know as much as you do at this point, but I doubt Microsoft would release a full version revision with anything less than addressing most of everything you said there.

In my opinion, the most important thing to me, is getting the app marketplace more mature. I know currently it has like 75% of the top apps anyway, but still, I'd like to see companies start to take the platform seriously when releasing apps. I'm talking ability to release things like GTA 3, Steam, or other, complex games or apps on WP8 day and date with iOS and Android.
well windows phone 8 will allow for code like c++ etc... so games support should improve. Then there is the fact that Microsoft is unifying their development platforms. (windows, windows phone, xbox) so pretty soon it will be a no brainier to develop for it considering a lot of the stuff will be transferable between platforms.

well windows phone 8 will allow for code like c++ etc... so games support should improve. Then there is the fact that Microsoft is unifying their development platforms. (windows, windows phone, xbox) so pretty soon it will be a no brainier to develop for it considering a lot of the stuff will be transferable between platforms.

I just wish they would get there faster. I don't want to see another WebOS happen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Bigger problem is even if we have the top apps a lot of them are half baked and/or not kept up with. I don't just want the big name apps, but I want the big name apps done right and kept up with!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I just wish they would get there faster. I don't want to see another WebOS happen.
webOS had no funding and shitty hardware. Funding is not a problem and apollo will allow for much better hardware. i wouldn't worry. Windows Phone won't overtake Andriod or iOS any time soon but it will be comfortable in 3rd place. The phone market is HUGE, it can support 3 players. OSX has 5-6% of a much smaller market and it does just fine. Not to mention that i highly doubt we will see a situaiton where one player controls 90% of the market like in the traditional pc market.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
is it the same battery life as a iphone? also what kind of box did the lumia come in, didn't it come with headphones?

Not sure how it compares to the iPhone. I guess I got through the day without having to charge and thats with going on GAF, playing some of iStunt, checking twitter , etc.

The box is the nice, blue Nokia box teasing me with the white and cyan models on it, lol. And it did come with headphones. I like that the Rogers 900 is unbranded.

Has anyone picked up the purity headphones?

Edit: Also does it really matter if I use a non-Nokia car charger and micro USB cables? I would assume not.

ChanHuk

Banned
My AT&T Lumia 900 did not come with headphones, which is odd, most smartphones nowadays come with headphones don't they? Even crappy hipster white Apple earbuds are included with every iPhone.

I think the batterylife is about the same as the 4S, but not up there with the 4. The 4 is still godly when it comes to batterylife. I used to charge mine every other day or so and thats with moderate usage.

bedlamite

None of the Purity audio gear is worth it, that's hardly surprising since it's overpriced Monster crap. The headphones are terribly creaky and flimsy, they also sound underwhelming. I didn't try the earphones but unless you really need that inline mic I'd just look elsewhere.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
My AT&T Lumia 900 did not come with headphones, which is odd, most smartphones nowadays come with headphones don't they? Even crappy hipster white Apple earbuds are included with every iPhone.

I think the batterylife is about the same as the 4S, but not up there with the 4. The 4 is still godly when it comes to batterylife. I used to charge mine every other day or so and thats with moderate usage.
yea i don't understand why att had to go out of their way and take out head phones and put the lumia in their shitty ass box.
Not sure how it compares to the iPhone. I guess I got through the day without having to charge and thats with going on GAF, playing some of iStunt, checking twitter , etc.

The box is the nice, blue Nokia box teasing me with the white and cyan models on it, lol. And it did come with headphones. I like that the Roger 900 is unbranded.

Edit: Also does it really matter if I use a non-Nokia car charger and micro USB cables? I would assume not.

Fuck yea. guess i am gonna keep on waiting for the white. *crosses fingers* please come by next week Monday.

I really like the screen on the 900. I never have issues reading text or thinking the text looks poor.

I'm not entirely sure about the specs or anything, but I found the screen to be much nicer than my Focus'. I'm with you on never having issues with the screen, but sharper isn't a bad thing, really.

The box is the nice, blue Nokia box teasing me with the white and cyan models on it, lol. And it did come with headphones. I like that the Rogers 900 is unbranded.

Unbranded save for the ugly white Rogers boot splash. Not a big issue, as I rarely restart my phone, but it would be nice to get rid of that.

--

Still waiting on a few things from Nokia on my end, namely that Network Setup app to return to the market, and the latest update for my unlocked Rogers 900.

Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to using SMS? Their pros/cons, how they work etc?

Thanks in advance!

I'd go for Whatsapp, if you don't want to use the included Facebook or Live IM in the messaging hub.

Pros
-free
-push notifications/live tile
-seems to be widely used
-multiplatform, iOS, Android, Blackberry

Cons
-app isn't very smooth compared to the messaging hub
-requires your phone number to register
-requires all your contacts to register and use the app

MCD

Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to using SMS? Their pros/cons, how they work etc?

Thanks in advance!

You know, it's better to see what your friends/family use in real life.

Do they use Whatsapp? Then use that.
Do they use Kik Messenger? Then use that.

For me, it's Whatsapp. I hate how slow and unresponsive it is but it is getting better every month.

Tomcat

I'd go for Whatsapp, if you don't want to use the included Facebook or Live IM in the messaging hub.

Pros
-free
-seems to be widely used

Cons

you have to buy it after the first year

ElNino

Unbranded save for the ugly white Rogers boot splash. Not a big issue, as I rarely restart my phone, but it would be nice to get rid of that.

--

Still waiting on a few things from Nokia on my end, namely that Network Setup app to return to the market, and the latest update for my unlocked Rogers 900.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the Rogers splash screen only because the Focus didn't have one. Oh well, I reboot maybe once a month so I'll almost never see it anyways.

I'm just waiting for the Nokia update now to hopefully fix the Internet Sharing issue. Rogers reps have claimed that the update will fix it.

yea i don't understand why att had to go out of their way and take out head phones and put the lumia in their shitty ass box.
To be honest, I couldn't care less about pack-in headphones that I will never use so I'd be fine if they weren't included. One less thing to clutter up my desk or throw out.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Got an update for the Samsung call blocking app and... it still doesn't work.

can't store numbers, can't block numbers, can't delete numbers.

KageMaru

This is probably old news by now, but does GAF not scale properly for anyone else ever since they added the additional community tabs? The few other sites I visit on my phone look fine, but GAF is uber-small.

ElNino

This is probably old news by now, but does GAF not scale properly for anyone else ever since they added the additional community tabs? The few other sites I visit on my phone look fine, but GAF is uber-small.
Are you using the secondapps version?

PG2G

Anyone else think it'd be nice if there was a gesture to flip a tile over? Sometimes you have to sit there and wait for the tile to flip so you can see what info is on it.

Anyone else think it'd be nice if there was a gesture to flip a tile over? Sometimes you have to sit there and wait for the tile to flip so you can see what info is on it.

Yeah, definitely. I'd like a sort of "hold and flick" (as opposed to the long press to edit your Start screen) to quickly flip it over. In fact, I think MS's argument for not having a notification center would be strengthened if they allowed you to do this.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the Rogers splash screen only because the Focus didn't have one. Oh well, I reboot maybe once a month so I'll almost never see it anyways.

I'm just waiting for the Nokia update now to hopefully fix the Internet Sharing issue. Rogers reps have claimed that the update will fix it.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about pack-in headphones that I will never use so I'd be fine if they weren't included. One less thing to clutter up my desk or throw out.

I hardly ever reboot my phone as well. My 900 has internet sharing, which surprised me since my Focus never had it.

Has anyone checked out the updated Microsoft Translator app? It is pretty sweet. You can use voice, text or your camera to translate a lot of languages. Plus you can download a choice of 6 languages to your phone for offline translation.

PG2G

Has anyone checked out the updated Microsoft Translator app? It is pretty sweet. You can use voice, text or your camera to translate a lot of languages. Plus you can download a choice of 6 languages to your phone for offline translation.

Just downloaded it, should come in handy since I'm going on vacation Friday. Hope it works well!

Just noticed it has a live tile for the word of the day, pretty cool.

derFeef

A little sync/new phone question. I am getting the Lumia tomorrow and I wanted to know how to best migrate to the new phone? Just use my live id on the new phone and plug it into zune?

Raistlin

Pros
-free
-seems to be widely used

Cons

You know, it's better to see what your friends/family use in real life.

Do they use Whatsapp? Then use that.
Do they use Kik Messenger? Then use that.

For me, it's Whatsapp. I hate how slow and unresponsive it is but it is getting better every month.

Thanks, though it looks like most of my friends don't use those.

I anyone familiar with any of the services that assign you a number and allow you to send free SMS's to phones like google voice messaging (govoice) and HeyWire?

Patriots7

webOS had no funding and shitty hardware. Funding is not a problem and apollo will allow for much better hardware. i wouldn't worry. Windows Phone won't overtake Andriod or iOS any time soon but it will be comfortable in 3rd place. The phone market is HUGE, it can support 3 players. OSX has 5-6% of a much smaller market and it does just fine. Not to mention that i highly doubt we will see a situaiton where one player controls 90% of the market like in the traditional pc market.
Reports of RIM's death have been grossly exaggerated. Microsoft still has to somehow overtake Blackberry in order to be comfortably in 3rd place.

hwalker84

A little sync/new phone question. I am getting the Lumia tomorrow and I wanted to know how to best migrate to the new phone? Just use my live id on the new phone and plug it into zune?

Depends on how your current setup is. If all of your contacts are saved in your Live ID then it will happen seamlessly.

You can install Zune now and be ready for tomorrow.

ElNino

I hardly ever reboot my phone as well. My 900 has internet sharing, which surprised me since my Focus never had it.
The Focus didn't have it by default, but you could unlock it you had dev unlocked the phone which is how I had it.

Does your internet sharing work when you enable it?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Focus didn't have it by default, but you could unlock it you had dev unlocked the phone which is how I had it.

Does your internet sharing work when you enable it?

Just gave it a try. I was able to turn it on and connect with my laptop, but it didn't seem to work?

derFeef

Depends on how your current setup is. If all of your contacts are saved in your Live ID then it will happen seamlessly.

You can install Zune now and be ready for tomorrow.

Contacts are stored in google. I am primarily asking because of the apps/games and all the accounts. I don't want every app installed I ever tried and setting up the accounts like email and so on is going to take some time I guess.

frontieruk

Contacts are stored in google. I am primarily asking because of the apps/games and all the accounts. I don't want every app installed I ever tried and setting up the accounts like email and so on is going to take some time I guess.

hmmm Zune won't restore another handset models backup to another model so no worries there, gmail and LIVE are as simple as tapping in your email and password for both, then going and doing something constructive like doodle god, come back a bit later you'll have email and contacts.

actually adding the apps you want is the most time consuming part of setting up a new WP7.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
hmmm Zune won't restore another handset models backup to another model so no worries there, gmail and LIVE are as simple as tapping in your email and password for both, then going and doing something constructive like doodle god, come back a bit later you'll have email and contacts.

actually adding the apps you want is the most time consuming part of setting up a new WP7.

Yeah. Adding my apps again took a bit of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom