• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Are you in the running for a new phone too? What do you currently own?

Probably December due to money reasons. I'm in a contract with Rogers and I'm currently using a 900. I had a Focus before, but had it replaced at Best Buy for the 900. Ideally I want to get a 920, but if Rogers doesn't offer more colours by the time I'm ready to buy I may switch to Bell and get an 8X.

Klocker

Doesn't the Ativ also have a notably bigger battery than the rest.

yes the largest of the WP8 phones I believe

Can someone help me? I set up the 30 day Xbox Music/Zune Pass trial with my father's credit card by accident (was somehow still attached to my account) and I can't find an option to change it on the Xbox website. I don't it to renew on my dad's credit card and if possible I'd want to remove it entirely from the Zune Pass. Is this possible? :S

go to your xbox live account on PC, click "My Account" (top right) then Under "payment and billing" click "manage payment options"

you will need to add a new card and link that to renewal possibly then you can delete dads card

cube444

Probably December due to money reasons. I'm in a contract with Rogers and I'm currently using a 900. I had a Focus before, but had it replaced at Best Buy for the 900. Ideally I want to get a 920, but if Rogers doesn't offer more colours by the time I'm ready to buy I may switch to Bell and get an 8X.

I'm looking at the 920 as I currently own an iPhone 3GS but I'm with Bell and don't even know when or if they'll get it. I know MS has said the 920 will go to "Rogers and others" in Canada, but when?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking at the 920 as I currently own an iPhone 3GS but I'm with Bell and don't even know when or if they'll get it. I know MS has said the 920 will go to "Rogers and others" in Canada, but when?

They already corrected that on the website so it is only Rogers (that could change in a month or two though). I would keep the 8X in mind with Bell though.

cube444

They already corrected that on the website so it is only Rogers (that could change in a month or two though). I would keep the 8X in mind with Bell though.

I don't even see the 8X on Bell's site. They have a horrible set-up there while at least Rogers gives you an OS choice which takes you to the respective phones for each one.

MarkusRJR

I have this diamond with a circle in it by my time. I thought it was just my phone checking my location for an app but I turned off location on my phone and it's still there. What does this symbol mean?

go to your xbox live account on PC, click "My Account" (top right) then Under "payment and billing" click "manage payment options"

you will need to add a new card and link that to renewal possibly then you can delete dads card
Thanks for the help. :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even see the 8X on Bell's site. They have a horrible set-up there while at least Rogers gives you an OS choice which takes you to the respective phones for each one.

They should in the next couple weeks. Rogers still doesn't have the 920 on the site though even though they have announced it. I find Telus gives WP the most respect even though they get the shaft for the high end devices. They are getting the Ativ though.

They should in the next couple weeks. Rogers still doesn't have the 920 on the site though even though they have announced it. I find Telus gives WP the most respect even though they get the shaft for the high end devices. They are getting the Ativ though.

It's true, Telus definitely cares about the platform. Their stores are literally the only ones where I can go in and play with an actual Windows Phone instead of a stupid fake chunk of plastic. It's a shame that they wont have the 920.

Bullza2o

I sure hope AT&T finishes its Halloween party early so they can get back to preparing the 920 announcement on November 1 (or asap). The wait is killing me, and it's also making me consider the Galaxy S3 more everyday.

Troll

Banned
Supposedly it was "near pitch black" in the bus when this was taken.

A6gVVORCAAEOyAl.jpg

What phones are you MS employees using? If you can't talk about it feel free to ignore this. I just want some legit low light pics from the 920 if you could post them.

dLMN8R

I'm using a 2-year-old Samsung Focus :-( I'll be buying a Lumia 920 as soon as it's available for all of you peons!

Does anyone know of any hacks or workarounds to somehow backup text messages from a Samsung Focus? I'm really annoyed that I won't be able to carry those over to my 920.

Troll

Banned
I'm using a 2-year-old Samsung Focus :-( I'll be buying a Lumia 920 as soon as it's available for all of you peons!

Does anyone know of any hacks or workarounds to somehow backup text messages from a Samsung Focus? I'm really annoyed that I won't be able to carry those over to my 920.

Yup. SMS backup is on the 7.8 ROM for the Focus. It's going to be a little counter productive for you just because in order to even do that you're going to have to hard reset your phone. I'm sure someone else can tell you how to get it on your phone without the ROM.

dLMN8R

Wait really? So if I wait for the real 7.8 to come out for my focus I'll be able to back up SMS, and I imagine restore them to WP8 since WP8 natively supports SMS backup/restore?

Troll

Banned
Wait really? So if I wait for the real 7.8 to come out for my focus I'll be able to back up SMS, and I imagine restore them to WP8 since WP8 natively supports SMS backup/restore?

I don't know. It might be something they put on there for beta purposes so whoever is testing it doesn't have to lose all their shit every time they flash a new version.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Got my Lumia 920 from the //build conference. I can't wait to be back in California and activate it.
Hasta la vista Android, I won't miss you.

PS: I won't answer questions, NDA.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Can't believe it is still NDA when some people in Canada already have it. Look forward to your impressions nonetheless.

We got a dev kit phone, not the retail package. I still don't know the differences.

8fZu0.jpg

Better than night vision googles. I literally cannot see anything there, but somehow the Lumia added light where there was none. I thought the camera was all marketing, but forget it, I just became a believer.

Also, my hand was super shaky since I had to extent my arm through a small opening of the window to take this picture. The windows are locked here. Fuck, I almost let my phone free fall 7 stories.

Commodore

Same boat as you. Sammy Focus, no way to backup all these text msgs. I figure we can get any college ruled notebook and just manually copy every text message conversation via pen and paper.

Ugh. If you find out anything that'll allow transfer of text msgs from the focus to the 920, lemme know.

Also am I correct in understanding that if your carrier doesn't have the color of phone they support you can get a version of that phone in any alternate color at any given Microsoft store?

Can someone help me? I set up the 30 day Xbox Music/Zune Pass trial with my father's credit card by accident (was somehow still attached to my account) and I can't find an option to change it on the Xbox website. I don't it to renew on my dad's credit card and if possible I'd want to remove it entirely from the Zune Pass. Is this possible? :S

Log into your Microsoft account (browser) there you should be link to where you can manage all your CC and subscription.

Interesting. Very interesting. windows phone 8 apps can fast resume apps from the start screen after all
And with a one-line change no less.
Very nice.

Yeah at some point (still not sure if I'm going to spring the cash to break my contract this year) I'll need to update my 7.5/7.8, and it would be really nice to not lose at my messages.

Troll

Banned
We got a dev kit phone, not the retail package. I still don't know the differences.

Better than night vision googles. I literally cannot see anything there, but somehow the Lumia added light where there was none. I thought the camera was all marketing, but forget it, I just became a believer.

Also, my hand was super shaky since I had to extent my arm through a small opening of the window to take this picture. The windows are locked here. Fuck, I almost let my phone free fall 7 stories.

I'm really excited to try this out myself. I wonder when we can expect Cnet to do their camera phone comparison with the 920.

Fjolle

Sigh... I just convinced myself that i don't have money for it in november... :(

derFeef

They should back it up with what those benefits would be on the platform if it would be quadcore.
Otherwise it's a lazy-ass comment.

Milchjon

I've read one review (NeoWin?) where the integration of 3rd party apps into TellMe was praised as one of the main advantage, whereas almost none of the others even mention it. What's up with that?

derFeef

I've read one review (NeoWin?) where the integration of 3rd party apps into TellMe was praised as one of the main advantage, whereas almost none of the others even mention it. What's up with that?

Did they mention WP has Facebook integreation? I heard that's pretty swell!

They should back it up with what those benefits would be on the platform if it would be quadcore.
Otherwise it's a lazy-ass comment.

Another one:
Windows Phone 8 can also be operated with voice only through the TellMe - you can dictate, have the phone read out the reply, you can initiate searches and so on. It's what Android's got with Google Voice and Apple with Siri , but sadly the Windows virtual assistant though is still far behind either of those.

It might be true, but I still don't know why.

Really? That's such a cool new feature, it might even cause me to switch from my iPhone!

Welcome to last year, dude. iOS 5 truly revolutionized the market yet again. Doesn't surprise me that it took Microsoft over a year to copy it. What's next? Tweeting from the OS?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So they've released the OS, the phones are out in canada and some other places, released the SDK, given out hundreds of free handsets and KEPT THEM UNDER NDA??

They seriously need to hire someone to sort out their launches, this is a joke. What should have happened is:

In August:
- Announce WP8
- Announce Fall release date
- Release (beta) SDK to developers

September:
- Room for OEMs to do their thing.

This Week
- Show off what developers have come up with, instead of trying to chase the existing top 50 apps, show us things the other platforms can't do.
- Announce Firm release dates, coordinate with major carriers to announce prices at the same time
- Hand out devices AND LET PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THEM.

Also the cool thing about TellMe is that unlike android and iOS, developers can hook into it so I can register protocols with your device and TellMe will open my app when you tell it to do something.

The sad thing about TellMe is that the voice recognition is still shit as far as I can tell.

hwalker84

So they've released the OS, the phones are out in canada and some other places, released the SDK, given out hundreds of free handsets and KEPT THEM UNDER NDA??

They seriously need to hire someone to sort out their launches, this is a joke. What should have happened is:

In August:
- Announce WP8
- Announce Fall release date
- Release (beta) SDK to developers

September:
- Room for OEMs to do their thing.

This Week
- Show off what developers have come up with, instead of trying to chase the existing top 50 apps, show us things the other platforms can't do.
- Announce Firm release dates, coordinate with major carriers to announce prices at the same time
- Hand out devices AND LET PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THEM.
It blows my mind how much this company fails when it comes to windows phone and getting the message out. A fucking NDA for a phone that's on the market?
Ghost. You're 100% correct.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think I finally placed my order for a 920 on EE.
I say THINK because EE sent me an email asking my to call them about my order. I call them and they tell me I now need to call Orange (who they own) and ask them to transfer my details over to them...

I call Orange and they have no idea why EE have asked me to call them but they check their system and can see my order there. Apparently I'll get my phone/sim in the next few days... Hmmmm.
Sounds strange to me.

EE are a complete joke at this point.

toff74

Just called 2 of my local branches of Phones4U (UK) regarding the L920.

I have to call back tomorrow at 1 store and the other is calling me as soon as they get them in.

Both stores had dummy models on the shelf and they will stock Black, White, Yellow and Red, with the Yellow and Red exclusive to Phones4U.

The tariffs sound pretty standard if you don't want 4G with the phone available for free on £31/month , 2 year contract s and up. (quoted for O2)

Happy Days!!!

The toughest choice now is what colour!!

I have to call back tomorrow at 1 store and the other is calling me as soon as they get them in.

Both stores had dummy models on the shelf and they will stock Black, White, Yellow and Red, with the Yellow and Red exclusive to Phones4U.

The tariffs sound pretty standard if you don't want 4G with the phone available for free on £31/month , 2 year contract s and up. (quoted for O2)

Happy Days!!!

i'll pop in to my branch & see what information they give me too. hurrah for mixed messages!

Happy Days!!!

Hmmm - the store I popped into in London advised they can only sell the phones with an EE contract (I'm with O2, but apparently that's a no go.) One of us has been misinformed...I wonder who? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom