• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

toff74

Hmmm - the store I popped into in London advised they can only sell the phones with an EE contract (I'm with O2, but apparently that's a no go.) One of us has been misinformed...I wonder who? :/

Both stores i called said they were available on any network. I got to admit they were just small stores in shopping centres, but they quoted enough to make me think they knew what they were talking about.

I really hope its not just EE.. The missus is sick of me talking about the phone and having to wait another 6 months for it: i would be just intolerable lol

Even though I knew about it, I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of synchronization between IE 10 and IE 10 Mobile.

Windows Phone 8 doesn't support FM radios?

As sad as it may seem, it's probably the most used thing on my phone.

It's not mandatory anymore. Most carrier friendly OS 2.0. Gotta use that data plan!

SeanR1221

Even though I knew about it, I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of synchronization between IE 10 and IE 10 Mobile.

It's not mandatory anymore. Most carrier friendly OS 2.0. Gotta use that data plan!

Really? No not even your favorites?

That's weird because they're obviously linked. When I returned my Acer and got the Lenovo Yoga, all my favorites were there once I put in my Live ID.

Really? No not even your favorites?

That's weird because they're obviously linked. When I returned my Acer and got the Lenovo Yoga, all my favorites were there once I put in my Live ID.

That's the cloud synchronization of your Microsoft account. It saves whatever you have on your start screen and PC settings. Windows Phone 8 doesn't seem to utilize this yet.

goodnewseveryone.jpg

just went into town to discover the orange store in brighton is closed, haha. might be turning into an ee store or something. anyway, went to the phones4u and they already had the 920 and 8x out on display. more importantly, the 920 comes in black, white, red & yellow, the latter two they claim as being exclusive to phones4u. EVEN better than that, the p.o.s stuff clearly claims the 920 is free on £31 & up plans, and that you can get it on ee, orange & o2! they didn't have any in, expecting a delivery tomorrow, so I've booked an appointment with them after work to (hopefully) get my £36 a month 920. woo!

toff74

goodnewseveryone.jpg

just went into town to discover the orange store in brighton is closed, haha. might be turning into an ee store or something. anyway, went to the phones4u and they already had the 920 and 8x out on display. more importantly, the 920 comes in black, white, red & yellow, the latter two they claim as being exclusive to phones4u. EVEN better than that, the p.o.s stuff clearly claims the 920 is free on £31 & up plans, and that you can get it on ee, orange & o2! they didn't have any in, expecting a delivery tomorrow, so I've booked an appointment with them after work to (hopefully) get my £36 a month 920. woo!

Woop! Woop! Confirmed!!

Sent using a Windows 7.5 phone

Sordid

Poo, I've no chance of getting to a Phones4U store anytime soon. Do they usually take long to make new mobiles available on their website?

kharma45

goodnewseveryone.jpg

This will please my gf (and me).

PG2G

Damn, my computer can't run the Windows Phone 8 emulator. Guess I can't really do anything until I get a new PC. I suppose I could work on some Windows 8 stuff.

Lemonte

fuuuck... don't know what to do. I really want cyan lumia 920, but there is only black, white, yellow and red available for pre order here in Finland. And there's no word about cyan even coming any time soon. Don't know should I just take yellow or wait, who knows how long, for cyan. :(

venne

Can anyone comment on how the finish of a white nokia 800/900 hold up over time?

Think of getting the white 920 for my wife.

PG2G

"Xbox Music Store library" is what we already have. That is store only, doesn't contain any new Xbox Music functionality.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey you guys who have bought the 920, or seen it in stores, did you ask about the official accessories like the charging pad and the bluetooth headset?

Gav

Phones4U never got any 920s near me with their delivery this morning.
Manager says it might be Friday now. Bah, was so excited to get it today!

Blackhead

Redarse
This is almost as bad as the GNex LTE launch last year. When will phone manufacturers learn not to leave all their distribution to the carriers? At the very least Nokia should have a webstore stocked and selling by now.

PG2G

Facebook notifications from the app have been pretty much real time for me the last couple days. Anyone else experiencing this?

Milchjon

Facebook notifications from the app have been pretty much real time for me the last couple days. Anyone else experiencing this?

It's weird. I got a huge load of old notifications over the past 2 days, but now that's over and they're coming in as fast as you said.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Went into Phones4U at lunch, they confirmed they have 920s in red exclusively and also that they will be selling them SIM free from either Sunday or Tuesday.

I got to play around with it, feels nice, I kinda wish it was 820 sized though

hwalker84

This is almost as bad as the GNex LTE launch last year. When will phone manufacturers learn not to leave all their distribution to the carriers? At the very least Nokia should have a webstore stocked and selling by now.
Yep. The WP8 launch is comparable to the Sega Saturn launch debacle. I honestly can't believe the smart people at Mircosoft and the other hardware vendors sat down in a meeting and devised this plan of action.

zorbsie

Posted in another thread, but this seems like the right place to discuss this.
I picked up a lumia 920 yesterday. I'm in Canada. I tried to load up some podcasts on it but the store doesn't list any. There is no option to search for them either. Are podcasts not available in Canada or am I just really dense and can't see where I have to go to add them. I've followed this how-to, but when I follow those steps there is no podcast button. Any idea whats going on here? If this is the case I might just go back to my Samsung Focus and zune software.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Posted in another thread, but this seems like the right place to discuss this.
I picked up a lumia 920 yesterday. I'm in Canada. I tried to load up some podcasts on it but the store doesn't list any. There is no option to search for them either. Are podcasts not available in Canada or am I just really dense and can't see where I have to go to add them. I've followed this how-to, but when I follow those steps there is no podcast button. Any idea whats going on here? If this is the case I might just go back to my Samsung Focus and zune software.

I posted in the other thread, but you should be able to download the podcast using Zune, then drag and drop it into your Lumia 920 using the WP8 desktop client.

zorbsie

You can drag and drop, but now the phone thinks the giant bombcast is a music album. I also posted this issue on windows phone canada's facebook page. I was told to download an app that would then download the podcasts. So it would seem I was right. Podcasts aren't available in Canada without 3rd party support. That's just fucked. I downloaded the bombcast again to see if the phone recognizes it as a podcast or not. Or if I'll have to run this 3rd party app to actually listen to it. Just piss poor effort on Microsoft's part. Really is a step back from the windows phone 7 / zune experience.

hwalker84

You can drag and drop, but now the phone thinks the giant bombcast is a music album. I also posted this issue on windows phone canada's facebook page. I was told to download an app that would then download the podcasts. So it would seem I was right. Podcasts aren't available in Canada without 3rd party support. That's just fucked. I downloaded the bombcast again to see if the phone recognizes it as a podcast or not. Or if I'll have to run this 3rd party app to actually listen to it. Just piss poor effort on Microsoft's part. Really is a step back from the windows phone 7 / zune experience.

I think podcast support got dropped with Zune along with FM radio

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
920 vs 8X low-light comparison by Vlad from the Verge.

6804172172.jpg

MCD

OMG

Windows 8 is sooooo much better than Xbox/Windows Phone when it comes to handling Credit Cards.

With WP7, I had to jump through VPN and a lot of luck and fuck just to get my Visa accepted in the US Store.

But in Windows 8, MS accepted my Prepaid Visa without any error whatsoever and just now they took my money.

So I can finally buy away without begging Joe Belfiore for MS Points in every update.

YAY

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
goodnewseveryone.jpg

Did they switch out the POS stuff on the 920? when I was in there it said sim free was £369.99 so I asked the guy and he said 'oh shit, this is the 820 artwork'.

The EE that used to be TMobile is open just outside Churchill Square, I didn't go in there though.

edit: Oh shit, you were in Phones4U before me...hope you still get your deal!

toff74

Um... the Phones4U website has just updated the 920 page with BUY ME, so i pressed the button and was presented with EE only contracts and the Handsets only in Black and White. So i called them on the 0800 number and not a local store number. They confirmed(!?) that the 920 is only available on EE and didnt have dates for any other network. WHATS GOING ON!!!!!

This is confirmed on WMpowerUser

I hope this is an online only thing and stores can do 'deals'

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Um... the Phones4U website has just updated the 920 page with BUY ME, so i pressed the button and was presented with EE only contracts and the Handsets only in Black and White. So i called them on the 0800 number and not a local store number. They confirmed(!?) that the 920 is only available on EE and didnt have dates for any other network. WHATS GOING ON!!!!!

https://twitter.com/nokia_uk/status/263318118837915648

Great news! The Nokia Lumia 920 & 820 will be available on the @Orangeuk & @TMobileUK 3G network, plus @EE - Check your operator for details

https://twitter.com/nokia_uk/status/263353675068628993

Details about phones other operators will be released in the future, but we are unable to comment on when this will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom