• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
All of it is marketing genius. Insert popular game franchise, insert popular brand, insert gimmick and watch what happens. Can't wait to play that on my Apple 5!!

Did they switch out the POS stuff on the 920? when I was in there it said sim free was £369.99 so I asked the guy and he said 'oh shit, this is the 820 artwork'.

The EE that used to be TMobile is open just outside Churchill Square, I didn't go in there though.

edit: Oh shit, you were in Phones4U before me...hope you still get your deal!

well, looks like i won't be getting a phone tomorrow then. fuck you nokia.

freshair

International variant (Rogers) has support for T-Mobile's AWS bands?

p4pb8849111.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
Cancelled my pre-order with digital-phones.co.uk after they told me that they wouldn't get stock early next week after all.

Called Phones4U and they told me I could pick one up unlocked and sim free on Friday.

Hope they aren't talking out of their arse.

Gav

Cancelled my pre-order with digital-phones.co.uk after they told me that they wouldn't get stock early next week after all.

Called Phones4U and they told me I could pick one up unlocked and sim free on Friday.

Hope they aren't talking out of their arse.

Likewise. I will be phoning them first thing in Friday.

Its a strange one. Online, Nokia UK and P4U are insisting that the SIM free phones are locked to EE, Orange and TMobile. But isnt the definition of SIM Free that it is unlocked?

Doesnt make much sense.

Izuna

Banned
I have every damn reason in the world to get a Lumia 920 right now, but they just won't let me buy it. I wish Nokia had an online store, even if they said stock will slowly be pushed out, I want to at least place an order.

Here's the deal

My older brother and I want the Lumia 920. He's upgrading from a Cyan Lumia 800 and me from an Omnia 7. Both of us are at our limits when it comes to upgrading, so we don't care about EE's pricing or whatever.

What stops us is the availability of the colours:

- Glossy Yellow
- Glossy White
- Matte Black
- Glossy Red

I'm keen on waiting for information about when Cyan comes to the UK, but he's not. However he's limited to a Black one because a matte finish is important to us.

The only thing stopping me from getting the Glossy Yellow Lumia 920 on Friday is my girlfriend urging me to wait because I don't look happy to pick it up.

>_<

Why are Nokia doing this? I mean, if the 920 was like the 820 I'd just switch out the case later on, but afaik this is impossible even with the other Lumia phones.

I hope we'll know more about Cyan when it launches for AT&T.

EDIT: Can I get a Live Tile for Neogaf on Windows 8?

hwalker84

I have every damn reason in the world to get a Lumia 920 right now, but they just won't let me buy it. I wish Nokia had an online store, even if they said stock will slowly be pushed out, I want to at least place an order.

Here's the deal

My older brother and I want the Lumia 920. He's upgrading from a Cyan Lumia 800 and me from an Omnia 7. Both of us are at our limits when it comes to upgrading, so we don't care about EE's pricing or whatever.

- Glossy Yellow
- Glossy White
- Matte Black
- Glossy Red

I'm keen on waiting for information about when Cyan comes to the UK, but he's not. However he's limited to a Black one because a matte finish is important to us.

The only thing stopping me from getting the Glossy Yellow Lumia 920 on Friday is my girlfriend urging me to wait because I don't look happy to pick it up.

>_<

Why are Nokia doing this? I mean, if the 920 was like the 820 I'd just switch out the case later on, but afaik this is impossible even with the other Lumia phones.

At least you have the ability to get one. In America Nokia and AT&T are dropping the ball something awful.

cube444

I think it got eliminated for Cyan when people complained.

Ugh.

Got this from another forum:

Another 920 Rogers user on xda is claiming the phone is FACTORY UNLOCKED and he put a WIND sim card in it and it worked.

If the phone is indeed factory unlocked, this will be the best purchase I have ever made.

I will try with a Fido sim card when I get home as everyone I know here is on Rogers.

Would be awesome if true.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Likewise. I will be phoning them first thing in Friday.

Its a strange one. Online, Nokia UK and P4U are insisting that the SIM free phones are locked to EE, Orange and TMobile. But isnt the definition of SIM Free that it is unlocked?

Doesnt make much sense.

That's a good point, I thought it did, but they are suggesting otherwise.

Back to phones4u tomorrow I guess.

Gav

That's a good point, I thought it did, but they are suggesting otherwise.

Back to phones4u tomorrow I guess.

Post how you get one, my P4U doesnt think they will have any until Friday.

I cant see why it would be locked to 3 networks, but not work at all on any others.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would take any colour other than black at this point. I have a feeling when December comes and I'm ready to get a phone I will probably have to get black...unless I go with an 8X.

Firestorm

I would take any colour other than black at this point. I have a feeling when December comes and I'm ready to get a phone I will probably have to get black...unless I go with an 8X.
I'll probably be in Seattle at some point in December so if Rogers hasn't got their shit together by then I might see if the Microsoft Store down there has what I want. It's hard to justify paying $675 for something I'm not 100% happy with.

Also I thought it was supposed to be $550. Why the hell is it $600?

Edit: nvm. The XDA forum guy said it was $600+tax but Rogers says $550?

RogersNicolas says: October 30th, 2012 a 9:21pm

Hi,

The pricing is $99.00 on a three year term or $549.00 outright.

Edit 2:
Joe says: October 30th, 2012 a 11:52am

hey just want to mention that I called the Microsoft Holiday store at Eaton Centre Toronto and they will be getting white, red and black.
Reply to this comment
http://redboard.rogers.com/2012/rog...okia-lumia-920/comment-page-1/#comment-110941

:O :O :O

Cj70

Went into a Phones4U store and tried holding both the 8X and 920 Dummy. Found the 920 way too big :( I have big hands but it just didn't feel good and I couldn't reach the whole screen with one hand comfortably. I'll be going with the 8X which is not what I expected to be getting.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably be in Seattle at some point in December so if Rogers hasn't got their shit together by then I might see if the Microsoft Store down there has what I want. It's hard to justify paying $675 for something I'm not 100% happy with.

Also I thought it was supposed to be $550. Why the hell is it $600?

Edit: nvm. The XDA forum guy said it was $600+tax but Rogers says $550?

Edit 2:
http://redboard.rogers.com/2012/rog...okia-lumia-920/comment-page-1/#comment-110941

:O :O :O

Cool. I would be happy with red or white. My next issue is I live nowhere near a MS store and I need to do it as an upgrade under contract :p

Hopefully it is true nonetheless.

Here's the deal

- Glossy Yellow
- Glossy White
- Matte Black
- Glossy Red

>_<

You're in the UK, right?

Matte cyan and grey are coming later. Probably not before December.

f0lken

Wait, let me get this straight: The Lumia 920 is being sold officially in Canada and Nokia is still enforcing NDAs on people? My god they are really incompetent, is like they are stuck in the times qhen they could announce a phone and release it a year and half later (nokia n8, n97, xpress mucis 5800 and many more)

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^^
OMG thank you PG2G for that link .

Wait, let me get this straight: The Lumia 920 is being sold officially in Canada and Nokia is still enforcing NDAs on people? My god they are really incompetent, is like they are stuck in the times qhen they could announce a phone and release it a year and half later (nokia n8, n97, xpress mucis 5800 and many more)
MICROSOFT not Nokia has dev units still under NDA. No different really from Apple who always keeps all their iOS stuff and come phone stuff (e.g. accessories program) under NDA.

So the reviews, I think they elected for HTC to go first

frontieruk

that does help thanks, but still leaves the question, is Sim Free the same as unlocked...

I'm imagining not in this case, even Nokia uk has tweeted the handsets are EE locked guess someone will find out tomorrow, the store I was in weren't expecting stock till Saturday but they are calling to let me know and said they'd hold an 8x and 920 for me, so I think they are expecting slow sales.

For the more technical folks among us, this link is extremely useful: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/What's_new_in_Windows_Phone_8

I'm at work so I can't dig in too much. But, of note, are the sections on File associations (apps can register for certain extensions and when a file of that type is selected in the email, office, or browser apps, the app can be launched) and Custom protocols (the ability for an app to deep link into other apps)

Excellent link there. I'm going to start on a WP8 app in the near future, probably this weekend, after I digest some of this information.

I've got a couple of ideas here and there, so we'll see which one I want to flesh out.

hwalker84

^^^^
OMG thank you PG2G for that link .

MICROSOFT not Nokia has dev units still under NDA. No different really from Apple who always keeps all their iOS stuff and come phone stuff (e.g. accessories program) under NDA.

So the reviews, I think they elected for HTC to go first
Yeah sorry but these "Dev" units come in retail AT&T boxes. An NDA is absolutely ridiculous.

Milchjon

For the more technical folks among us, this link is extremely useful: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/What's_new_in_Windows_Phone_8

I'm at work so I can't dig in too much. But, of note, are the sections on File associations (apps can register for certain extensions and when a file of that type is selected in the email, office, or browser apps, the app can be launched) and Custom protocols (the ability for an app to deep link into other apps)

I'm gonna fall asleep tonight to that sample of "Hello world" in all the different languages.

thirty

Banned
dammit, hearing about the 920 launching this week in Canada and Europe is really pissing me off. still no word from ATT, not even my ATT regional retail manager contact is responding to me about the 920.

PG2G

For those of us waiting on AT&T... the funny part is we're going to be going through this same thing when WP8.1 and WP8.5 come out :p

Bullza2o

For those of us waiting on AT&T... the funny part is we're going to be going through this same thing when WP8.1 and WP8.5 come out :p

Yeah the wait is killing me. However, we're getting close to Black Friday, so I hope I'll have the strength to keep waiting until then.

And I never even received the Tango update for my original Focus.

Firestorm

Stopped by Oakridge. Microsoft Holiday Stores will be carrying phones but they don't know which or when. The guy seemed to only expect they'd get Black for the Lumia 920 though. Hope he's wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom