• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Here's another review for the Lumia 920 with the main criticism being the camera:

Link

Amazingly, most reviews almost seem to be the opposite of what I expected: Awesome phone, disappointing camera (apart from video and low light).

Although I think it's a trade off I'm willing to accept for those low light capabilities.

So I guess that's another point you can give the Ativ if you want. Best battery, best camera, SD card, removable battery.

But samsung build quality.

hwalker84

Amazingly, most reviews almost seem to be the opposite of what I expected: Awesome phone, disappointing camera (apart from video and low light).

Although I think it's a trade off I'm willing to accept for those low light capabilities.

Doesn't make any sense. All of the pictures we've seen so far have been absolutely spectacular.

Milchjon

Doesn't make any sense. All of the pictures we've seen so far have been absolutely spectacular.

I've read in at least three different places that the actual quality of the pictures in daylight looked worse than the iPhone 5's and the 8X's.

Still waiting for an in-depth review, of course. And even if it wasn't the best of the best in every condition, that wouldn't be a dealbreaker to me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I guess that's another point you can give the Ativ if you want. Best battery, best camera, SD card, removable battery.

But samsung build quality.

No way the Ativ S has a better camera than the 8X. And if its anything like the shooter on my Focus S (I bet its the exact same 8mp module or very similar), it's pretty crap.

Troll

Banned
Here are some comparison shots for you guys. via Laptopmag

The review gave it 4/5 stars and said:
Pros: Slick and colorful design; Superb camera; Eye-popping HD screen; Integrated wireless charging; Useful Nokia apps

Cons: Relatively heavy; App selection still limited compared to Android and iOS; NFC sharing could be easier;

The Verdict: The Nokia Lumia 920 is the ultimate Windows Phone, thanks to its jaw-dropping HD screen, fantastic PureView camera and wireless charging capability.

Lumia%20920%20front%20camera%20comparison.jpg

comparison%20with%20iPhone%205.jpg

car%20comparisons.jpg

PG2G

Sucks for you. I'm like 6 miles away from one and I don't even like their food.

Love the burgers, the fries are terrible though.

Xbox Music has turned my Zune Pass to shit. All of the tracks from an album that just came out yesterday are Buy only. This better not be a trend, this was almost never an issue with Zune Pass.

Izuna

Banned
Love the burgers, the fries are terrible though.

Xbox Music has turned my Zune Pass to shit. All of the tracks from an album that just came out yesterday are Buy only. This better not be a trend, this was almost never an issue with Zune Pass.

Actually it seems some songs were never meant to be free with Zune Pass. I can't get The Rollin' Stones stuff as well as Taylor Swift's Red on either Zune or Xbox Music.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know someone had already quoted the engadget 8x review where Myriam types out her port begging for an 8x with android, but I just noticed she says the exact same thing during the video review: "if you're listening HTC, we want a 8x running android". Unbelievable.

cube444

Battery is a bummer. First thing that deflates my hype.

I think we need to give the battery issue more time with people offering up what they're finding. Here's a guy from another forum who owns the 920:

"I charged the phone at 7:00 A.M.

It's 4:00 P.M. right now, all day on LTE, watched some videos on Metrotube, recorded some videos and took some pictures for you guys and read some feeds on the phone, along with 15 minutes of GPS. Battery is at 52% right.

Not bad at all for a first day use!"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly most of these reviews are nonsense. The only impressions I care about are the people in this thread. I don't need to hear how they wish it ran android or lament the lack of apps, etc.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Does the 920 have a larger aperture on the camera than the iPhone? It looks to capture a lot more of the city.

The iPhone 5 has an f/2.4 aperture where the Nokia has f/2, I think that's about 1/3rd? More light already for the Nokia wide open. Then there's the larger sensor. I think they're both 28mm equivalent lenses.

So it looks more like complaints about 920's "dull color"="lower default saturation"...which is technically a good thing. It seems to vary from shot to shot, though.

cube444

So it looks more like complaints about 920's "dull color"="lower default saturation"...which is technically a good thing. It seems to vary from shot to shot, though.

I wonder if there are camera settings that you can play around with in order to fine tune it.

Also, here's a full list of the 32 MS pop-up holiday stores for N.America:

Aventura Mall – Aventura, FL
Beachwood Place – Beachwood, OH
Cherry Creek Shopping Center – Denver, CO
Dadeland Mall – Miami, FL
Eaton Centre – Toronto, Ontario
Fashion Mall at Keystone – Indianapolis, IN
Fashion Show Mall– Las Vegas, NV
Glendale Galleria – Glendale, CA
Mall at Green Hills – Nashville, TN
Mall in Columbia – Columbia, MD
Metropolis at Metrotown – Burnaby, BC
Montgomery Mall – Bethesda, MD
Natick Collection – Natick, MA
North Star Mall – San Antonio, TX
Oakridge Centre – Vancouver, BC
Penn Square Mall – Oklahoma City, OK
Perimeter Mall – Atlanta, GA
Roosevelt Field Mall – Garden, City, NY
Ross Park Mall – Pittsburgh, PA
Saint Louis Galleria – St. Louis, MO
San Francisco Centre – San Francisco, CA
South Shore Plaza – Braintree, MA
Southpark Mall – Charlotte, NC
Stonebriar Centre Mall – Frisco, TX
Streets at Southpoint – Durham, NC
Time Warner Center – The Shops at Columbus Circle – New York, NY
Washington Square– Portland, OR
West Edmonton Mall – Edmonton, Alberta
Westfarms Mall – West Hartford, CT
Westfield Garden State Plaza – Paramus, NJ
Woodland Hills Mall – Tulsa, OK
Woodlands Mall – Woodlands, TX

Anyone know if the Toronto one is open yet?

List

Here is another review of the 920 from CNET in the UK:

Link

Although it packs in a capacious 2,000mAh cell, I found with pretty heavy use (downloading apps, using maps and tracking, sending numerous texts and emails) for around 4 hours it had gone from fully charged to around 25 per cent remaining. It certainly won't last an entire working day.

iKredmumvujX3.gif

Fucking seriously? That sounds worse than my 900.

PG2G

When asked if it gets a day of battery life, Daniel Rubino said "Of course."

I don't believe there is a phone on earth that gets a full day of use unless it sits there idle half the time. Well,maybe the RAZR MAXX

I must listen to music too much or something. I have chargers at home, work,and in my car :p

I haven't found too many detailed one on one comparisons that state that the s3 is "easily better than the OneX" in the camera department, maybe you have?
I've read a bunch of 8x reviews. I've read a bunch of S3 reviews. If the S3 camera is in the Ativ, which it likely is since it's basically a windows S3, it does seem plenty better!

Check out dem reviewzzzz.

Klocker

I've read a bunch of 8x reviews. I've read a bunch of S3 reviews. If the S3 camera is in the Ativ, which it likely is since it's basically a windows S3, it does seem plenty better!

Check out dem reviewzzzz.

DO WANT that big screen in a reasonable size chassis

I'm hoping it is just being held back as a Thanksgiving day release at ATT or something. :(

bedlamite

Batteries take a few charging cycles before they perform at their best, I'd think making any judgements from the first day of use is jumping the gun a little

Also, WMPoweruser just put up a video which shows the 920 to have OS-level custom EQ. Megaton for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom