• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusRJR

I'm absolutely loving Xbox Music so far. I'm discovering a ton of new bands. What a great service.

Any of you guys here have the Nokia 710? I need to get cheap smart phone for my daughter. She is no stranger to Windows Phone, though she mostly prefer using Apple product (yes Microsoft you already lost the next gen people) but I just want something cheap since she is not the most responsible.

Groupon has a deal with 710 for $159.00 unlock off contract and I thought it was pretty decent. I have been looking at Focus Flash for her on eBay but all the "new" one still around $200.00 and used one just look kinda beat up.
From what I hear the Lumia 710 is pretty decent but has kinda bad battery life. Probably the best phone you can get for the price though.

hwalker84

At&t ... what else. When you have shitty mindshare like Windows Phone and Nokia you are just at the mercy of the carrier.

It's pretty sad the state of things:

The Oct 29th event was pathetic
Still no word on an AT&T release date
Canada and Europe release has been a cluster
Build attendees are under NDA for a device that came in a retail AT&T package and is available in other countries
Reviews showing the camera is bad under normal conditions
Reviews claiming the battery life is awful

I may be the most bitter and upset I've ever been with any product launch. Complete disaster!

I'm not asking for much. I'll take a announcement from AT&T that says the phone is coming out on "blank" date and preorders are "blank" date. Prices are "blank". Thats all i'm asking.

hwalker84

I'm on the same page right now. I'm getting pretty disenfranchised, they need to launch this thing ASAP and end the pain.

I usually jump ship when things are handled this poorly. Unfortunately i've had my fill of Android and iOS. So now I have to be patient as I'm treated like shit. First world problems!

Izuna

Banned
I can't stand this. They should have made sure the launch was better.

Nokia wanted to win people over with viral marketing, and there's just no information about what's going on in too many places.

I have to be patient for the Lumia 920 -- I just installed a giffgaff Sim in my Omnia 7 because I was waiting with no credit/contract.

Now I need an unlocked device. Even if I had to import the phone I wouldn't mind waiting.

=[ Please do something Nokia.

I'm absolutely loving Xbox Music so far. I'm discovering a ton of new bands. What a great service.

From what I hear the Lumia 710 is pretty decent but has kinda bad battery life. Probably the best phone you can get for the price though.

I enjoy Xbox Music also...not sure if I will pay for sub after free trial end on my Windows 8.

Thanks for the info, I found a decent looking used Samsung Focus Flash for $70 on eBay so I think I am going with that. (Apparently many people are selling Windows Phone after they got a free one from Microsoft during Build.

My daughter like the Flash when we saw it at At&t last year because it's small and she can slip it into her jean pocket. It's also a 2nd gen Windows Phone support At&t fake 4G, with only downside being the 8gb storage but she doesn't need much it's mostly going to be for text and taking random pictures of her cat.

hadareud

The Translator
It being locked shouldn't be too much of a problem though, should it?

Usually Nokia phones can be quite easily and relatively cheaply unlocked. Previous Lumias were around 15 dollars to unlock and I already came across a site that offers the unlock of the 920 on Orange too.

It's a bloody nuisance, but it shouldn't be a major obstacle, right?

edit: btw, the site was http://cellunlocker.net/nokia-unlock.php, reviews seem to be quite ok.

thirty

Banned
where is the htc 8S news? i'm curious to hear about pricing from the US carriers. i may go for the 8S and wait for a large sensor pureview with OIS.

I enjoy Xbox Music also...not sure if I will pay for sub after free trial end on my Windows 8.

Thanks for the info, I found a decent looking used Samsung Focus Flash for $70 on eBay so I think I am going with that. (Apparently many people are selling Windows Phone after they got a free one from Microsoft during Build.

My daughter like the Flash when we saw it at At&t last year because it's small and she can slip it into her jean pocket. It's also a 2nd gen Windows Phone support At&t fake 4G, with only downside being the 8gb storage but she doesn't need much it's mostly going to be for text and taking random pictures of her cat.

Aw man, I want a cat. Not enough to pay the bajillion dollars to allow one in my apartment :(

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
well I gotta say this is pretty dissapointing. About a year ago (before Mango) I made a suggestion on the WP feedback site about allowing sites to use some metadata on their site to create live tiles (in the same way Apple use apple-touch-icon for icons).

Well, it looks like it's not in WP8... but it is in Windows 8. maybe next time.

kharma45

What an absolute disaster.

Both Nokia and P4U are making a point of telling everybody that the SIM-free 920's are locked to EE/Tmobile/Orange.
Well, thats not SIM-Free then is it?

So. The question is. Can we buy this phone SIM-Free and use Voda/3/O2/Virgin etc?

It really doesnt look good.

EDIT: Ah, here we go
http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-and-ee-clarify-nokia-lumia-920820-availability-in-uk

No sale then. Well done Nokia.

Looks like I may get the Nexus 4 then, although the HTC 8X does still tempt me.

toff74

What an absolute disaster.

Both Nokia and P4U are making a point of telling everybody that the SIM-free 920's are locked to EE/Tmobile/Orange.
Well, thats not SIM-Free then is it?

So. The question is. Can we buy this phone SIM-Free and use Voda/3/O2/Virgin etc?

It really doesnt look good.

EDIT: Ah, here we go
http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-and-ee-clarify-nokia-lumia-920820-availability-in-uk

No sale then. Well done Nokia.

With every phone call i make to P4U i get different information.. Sim Free, all carriers, Locked down to EE..

If what Neowin says is true (which i have NO reason to disbelieve) this is a complete disaster for Nokia.... Actually financially, it must be good enough for them for them to decide screwing all of us after their flagship phone with a brand new OS who aew not on EE!!!

Boo and Hiss to Nokia from me!!!! (Disgruntled O2 phone owner)

off to phones4u. probably should call ahead to see if the 920s arrived yet but i like living on the edge/getting myself all set up for disappointment. my final fantasy/amano book that i ordered from amazon.co.uk was cancelled today as well, so looks like this might be a Pretty Crappy Day. :p

cube444

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here but when should we realistically expect new 2013 versions of WP? My current contract is up this month and I plan to most likely go month to month for a bit as it is.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have read a couple more impressions regarding the 920 battery from people who have got it in Canada. One guy said it was better than his Nexus running Jelly Bean and the other said it was doing better than his 900 would be at the same point in the day. Sounds good enough to me.

kharma45

Pocket-Lint review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6042/nokia-lumia-920-windows-phone-review
The Nokia Lumia 920 is the best smartphone for taking pictures in low light. It features one of the best smartphone experiences when it comes to the core software. Rooms, Maps, People Hub, Kids Corner, and customisable Lock Screens all make this a cracking phone.

The 920 also has one of the best displays in the industry. Images are vivid and you can use it with your gloves on.

But…

It's is so heavy it will hamper you wanting to use it single-handed. It's so big and slab-like that it carries little kudos or cool factor. No-one we've shown it too liked the look or design of the phone. It won't have many of the apps you probably want, or already use, if you're switching from another OS.

We had high hopes for this phone, and while It delivers in so many places - including those that the HTC 8X doesn't - until the moment you pick it up and hold it in your hand.

As a core operating system against the iPhone and Android, Windows Phone 8 is not only a breath of fresh air, but one that offers plenty of nice features that you'll want to show off to your mates over and over again. The problem is, they might laugh at your giganta-phone, and humiliating lack of apps.

This isn't an iPhone or Android killer, and given the choice over this or the HTC 8X we would have to pick HTC. Surprising we know. What's even more annoying is the 8X has a poorer camera and fewer apps, but it is nicer in the hand, and our pocket, and that although sounding superficial, is important.

We had high hopes for the 920, and while individual elements are great, we have come away bitterly disappointed with the overall package.

Score
3/5

PG2G

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here but when should we realistically expect new 2013 versions of WP? My current contract is up this month and I plan to most likely go month to month for a bit as it is.

I'm expecting Spring 2013. We'll probably see support for Snapdragon S4 Pro (the quad core) and potentially support for non-Qualcomm SoCs (like NVIDIA's Tegra 4 and ST-Ericsson's NovaThor).

Milchjon

So his only issue is the weight? And no one liked the design?

Apps. But yeah, it doesn't really seem like his conclusion fits the rest of the review.

And every single review, no matter what their gripes are, convinces me that the 920 is exactly what I'm looking for.

toff74

off to phones4u. probably should call ahead to see if the 920s arrived yet but i like living on the edge/getting myself all set up for disappointment. my final fantasy/amano book that i ordered from amazon.co.uk was cancelled today as well, so looks like this might be a Pretty Crappy Day. :p

One thing that ALL P4U could agree on is that they weren't getting stock till Saturday.. so maybe hold of the 'journey of disappointment' and make it one of 'potential' happiness' on Saturday.

Troll

Banned
ebay%20pricing1.png

November 9th for ATT.

so unsurprisingly phones4u didn't have the 920 in stock just yet. they took my details and told me they're getting them on the 6th, which goes against what others (the operators) have been saying. not sure if they'll actually call me as they didn't today despite making an appointment. when i get over my halo 4-fest on tuesday i'll give them a bell & see if they made good on their estimation.

frontieruk

Any of you guys here have the Nokia 710? I need to get cheap smart phone for my daughter. She is no stranger to Windows Phone, though she mostly prefer using Apple product (yes Microsoft you already lost the next gen people) but I just want something cheap since she is not the most responsible.

Groupon has a deal with 710 for $159.00 unlock off contract and I thought it was pretty decent. I have been looking at Focus Flash for her on eBay but all the "new" one still around $200.00 and used one just look kinda beat up.

Seems ok, mines battery lasts longer than my titans and hd7 ever did, call quality is a bit poor or it could just be the ear piece.

so unsurprisingly phones4u didn't have the 920 in stock just yet. they took my details and told me they're getting them on the 6th, which goes against what others (the operators) have been saying. not sure if they'll actually call me as they didn't today despite making an appointment. when i get over my halo 4-fest on tuesday i'll give them a bell & see if they made good on their estimation.

My stores supposedly calling on Saturday regarding the 920/8x guess we'll see but with the 920 being EE locked I'm going htc again.

Sordid

If the 920 'sim free' is locked to EE/Orange/T-Mobile it looks like I'm out, I definitely want to stay with Three. Not sure whether to go for the 8X or wait for WP8.5 handsets next year :/

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Gonna take a look.

EDIT: Only for preorder it seems.

Yeah, that's why I said pre-order ;)

Have you ever cancelled a contract with a carrier? If I choose the 8X I may switch to Bell. Would I just have to pay Rogers the remaining value of my device/contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom