• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cube444

So does anyone know if the MS store in the Eaton Centre is open yet? I feel that the 920 is a tad overpriced at $549-599 when you consider that Nokia and MS are both trying to get the ball rolling here.

Batteries take a few charging cycles before they perform at their best, I'd think making any judgements from the first day of use is jumping the gun a little

Also, WMPoweruser just put up a video which shows the 920 to have OS-level custom EQ. Megaton for me

Can you please explain/elaborate upon this? Thanks.

cube444

Jessica Alba is on board with the 920!

www-bruce-juice-com_1351117873.jpg

dLMN8R

I really can't believe that CNET review. If I was reviewing a phone and saw it at ~20% battery life after ~4 hours, I'd immediately think something was wrong. I'd use it until the battery died, recharge it overnight, and use it again just to be sure.

And if it still happened, I'd call Nokia immediately to make sure my device wasn't defective.

Firestorm

So does anyone know if the MS store in the Eaton Centre is open yet? I feel that the 920 is a tad overpriced at $549-599 when you consider that Nokia and MS are both trying to get the ball rolling here.
Yes. They've all been open since the launch of Windows 8. None have phones yet.

This reminds me of the HTC DEsire HD I had. Battery life was pretty shitty when I first got it. I could only manage like 4/5 hours a day with heavy use.

And then after a week it went up to 7/8 hours. Also software updates help alot.

The reviewer from CNET says lumia 900 had the same low battery, but was fixed in an update.

SO CHILL OUT GUYS FUCKKK

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You do forget after a while how terrible the lumias battery life is, surprised they launched another one that's just as bad, maybe its the price you pay for doubling the screen refresh rate.

venne

I think we need to give the battery issue more time with people offering up what they're finding. Here's a guy from another forum who owns the 920:

This is what that expertreviews.co.uk said:

"The phone managed a reasonable six hours and 56 minutes of video playback in our battery test, which is significantly better than the HTC 8X's meagre five and a half hours."

Fjolle

I think I asked this before but I have a diamond with a circle in it beside my time at the top of my screen. What does the symbol represent? I'm actually really curious because I can't find the answer anywhere.
It's probably something really obvious and I'm just too stupid to realize...

Terrible review. :/

It's location.

I've been waiting for the 920..but some of the first impression reviews of the camera is getting me worried..I think I might just get the pureview 808..

So wait, Rogers Canada already have the 920 in stock? How did the other gaffer get his hands on a Rogers device, I thought it was releasing next month.

Milchjon

I've been waiting for the 920..but some of the first impression reviews of the camera is getting me worried..I think I might just get the pureview 808..

Wait for some more in depth stuff.

The 808 also isn't all that great a phone, being on Symbian and all that. And you have to decide if a bit of extra detail in daylight is worth losing the low ight capabilities.

Wait for some more in depth stuff.

The 808 also isn't all that great a phone, being on Symbian and all that. And you have to decide if a bit of extra detail in daylight is worth losing the low ight capabilities.

I already have an one x and sg3...so I got the great phone part covered ..

I was planning on swapping sim card when I know I'll be going somewhere that a camera will be handy..ex clubbing with the ladies =D......errr or a concert where cameras are not allowed ...

JimiNutz

Banned
Has anyone actually managed to get a 920 in the UK yet?
I spoke to EE today and they said that my order wouldn't get to me until the 9th! Apparently they had Nokia in their offices today and the phone won't be available before the 9th :(

Tempted to cancel the order and try my luck at Phones 4 U.

Tomcat

the camera on the 808 is the best
if you care the most about photos or video go for it
but if you care about apps good browser(its crap) and social integration dont even think of it

sammich

So wait, Rogers Canada already have the 920 in stock? How did the other gaffer get his hands on a Rogers device, I thought it was releasing next month.

Some rogers stores had a few for sale. There are a couple for sale on Kijiji right now in the Toronto area for 550 and one for 850.

ElNino

Some Rogers retail stores received 920 stock on Tuesday. I believe they have also shipped out to pre-order customers as well.

Milchjon

I already have an one x and sg3...so I got the great phone part covered ..

I was planning on swapping sim card when I know I'll be going somewhere that a camera will be handy..ex clubbing with the ladies =D......errr or a concert where cameras are not allowed ...

In those cases, the Lumia 920 seems like the better option, doesn't it? IOS for filming and better pictures in dark places?

I'd love to have amateur youtube concert bootlegs that aren't shaky as hell.

Has anyone actually managed to get a 920 in the UK yet?
I spoke to EE today and they said that my order wouldn't get to me until the 9th! Apparently they had Nokia in their offices today and the phone won't be available before the 9th :(

Tempted to cancel the order and try my luck at Phones 4 U.

I'll see how far i get today when i go to phones4u after work. doubt they'll have anything, as orange are saying it'll be available on the 9th too.

hadareud

The Translator
Spoke to Phones4u again this morning and they told me that they'd probably get it in at lunch time.

Called again and now they're saying that they won't have it until the 7th of November. Called a few more in the area and they are all saying the same.

:(

the camera on the 808 is the best
if you care the most about photos or video go for it
but if you care about apps good browser(its crap) and social integration dont even think of it

I got android phones for apps..

In those cases, the Lumia 920 seems like the better option, doesn't it? IOS for filming and better pictures in dark places?

I'd love to have amateur youtube concert bootlegs that aren't shaky as hell.

The 808 have image stabilizer on videos plus rich audio stereo recording (920 will have mono)

The 808 ain't too shabby on low lights too...

So pretty difficult choice... Because so far all the 920 camera early reviews seems sub par...

Tomcat

The 808 have image stabilizer on videos plus rich audio stereo recording (920 will have mono)

So pretty difficult choice... Because so far all the 920 camera early reviews seems sub par...

if you gonna carry two phones to do the job of one then why dont you buy a camera
one last annoying thing is that the screen of the 808 is low res. its has vivid colours amazing black but you can count the pixels and if you got used to high res screens it may annoy you

if you gonna carry two phones to do the job of one then why dont you buy a camera
one last annoying thing is that the screen of the 808 is low res. its has vivid colours amazing black but you can count the pixels and if you got used to high res screens it may annoy you

He probably doesn´t need the app when going to a concert. So something that calls, texts and takes good pictures is enough?

He probably doesn´t need the app when going to a concert. So something that calls, texts and takes good pictures is enough?

Exactly! You know where I'm getting at..

There are time that I'm actually doing social stuff with people in real life.. So I don't need too be starring at my phone and messing with social apps....

That's what got me interest on the 920, people also say windows 8 lacks apps, but I'm more interested on the camera aspect of it...

I haven't see any review that wait it subpar, they all rated just as good as iPhone. From all the pic so far it look pretty good none of the bluish tint I usually see in picture with mobile phone. Lumia color is warm and bright.

I think someone posted it 1 Page back.

Sample shot compared with the 8x and Iphone 4s....

Really? Those are subpar? I though sample picture looks good for Lumia, it certainly better than 8X and the one against iPhone is a toss up. You said all the reviews so which other one have you seen? I try to find more comparison but they are all night which Lumia 920 win.

Also I think the OIS is probably going to be more important when you are taking those impromptu shots which people usually do with phone camera. My biggest problem with using my phone now as substitute for my point and click is that the picture blurs when I have to take picture quickly.

Tomcat

Really? Those are subpar? I though sample picture looks good for Lumia, it certainly better than 8X and the one against iPhone is a toss up. You said all the reviews so which other one have you seen? I try to find more comparison but they are all night which Lumia 920 win.

Also I think the OIS is probably going to be more important when you are taking those impromptu shots which people usually do with phone camera. My biggest problem with using my phone now as substitute for my point and click is that the picture blurs when I have to take picture quickly.
exactly that. Even the 808 is not immune to blurry pics. Sometime you will get those and its a bit annoying. I hope ois solves this.

kazinova

exactly that. Even the 808 is not immune to blurry pics. Sometime you will get those and its a bit annoying. I hope ois solves this.

Me too, I'm kind of shocked by some of the pictures being taken on the rinky dink reviews.

Sidenote: I've seen a ton of people trying to pimp the Optical Image Stabilization feature of the 920 in acronym form; and fat finger it to accidentally imply that the iPhone OS is responsible for the insane low-light performance of the 920 Camera.

Moral of the story: make sure you type OIS, not IOS.

That's pretty much it... Maybe my expecting were too high, because the image sample of the pureview 808 weren't even comparable to other smartphones.

For a phone that's suppose to have the "pureview" tech, why won't nokia show more image sample(not fake ones using a dslr)

I think someone posted it 1 Page back.

Sample shot compared with the 8x and Iphone 4s....

Really? The review that those shots are from tells otherwise:

Referred to as "the best camera on any smartphone," the rear-facing 8.7-MP shooter on the back of the Lumia 920 does, indeed, take some great photos and videos.

When compared to the iPhone 4S, a photo of an In-N-Out Burger (animal style, of course) looked equally mouth-watering, but the iPhone picked up a bit more detail, such as the edge of a tomato sticking out from underneath the patty. A shot of a blue Studebaker also looked good on both devices. However, the iPhone 4S' was a bit grainier and exhibited slightly cooler colors, where the Lumia 920 picked up more of the warmth of the late afternoon sun.

So vs the 4S, it's somewhat of a tossup.

One area where the Lumia 920 trumped the iPhone was in taking photos in the dark without a flash. In a side-by side comparison of a few objects in a darkened room, a photo taken from an iPhone 4S was much darker and grainier than the Lumia 920.

Another cool feature on the Lumia 920 is optical image stabilization, especially helpful while you're taking video while moving around. While it's not going to make an earthquake look like a smooth ride, it will help eliminate small bumps and shakes. We shot some footage while taking a cable car ride through San Francisco, and the Lumia 920 was able to mitigate some of the bumpiness.

Not surprisingly, 920 wins in low light/video.

The front-facing camera takes photos at resolutions up to 1280 x 720. By comparison, the HTC 8X's front-facing camera, on account of its wider field of view, can shoot stills up to 1632 x 918. In general, we preferred the 8X's images, as they were sharper and displayed colors more accurately.

Here is where they say the 8X's front-facing camera is better, which is understandable. Still, there is noticeably more grain in the 8X's shot:

Lumia%20920%20front%20camera%20comparison.jpg

EDIT:

For a phone that's suppose to have the "pureview" tech, why won't nokia show more image sample(not fake ones using a dslr)

There are plenty of comparisons where the 920 absolutely destroys the competition in low light. I think you need to remember that Pureview is a brand, not just a technology.

Any of you guys here have the Nokia 710? I need to get cheap smart phone for my daughter. She is no stranger to Windows Phone, though she mostly prefer using Apple product (yes Microsoft you already lost the next gen people) but I just want something cheap since she is not the most responsible.

Groupon has a deal with 710 for $159.00 unlock off contract and I thought it was pretty decent. I have been looking at Focus Flash for her on eBay but all the "new" one still around $200.00 and used one just look kinda beat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom