• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

Yeah. Adding my apps again took a bit of time.

you know what would be nice? an option to remote install from your purchase history either from the windowsphone website or Zune or what ever they replace it with. Once you sign in on a new handset with your live ID you can select which handset to send an app to from the website so it'd work.

you know what would be nice? an option to remote install from your purchase history either from the windowsphone website or Zune or what ever they replace it with. Once you sign in on a new handset with your live ID you can select which handset to send an app to from the website so it'd work.

www.windowsphone.com/marketplace

sign in
click on the arrow next to your name
click on "account"

See your purchase history and the option to reinstall previous purchased apps
bctIq.jpg

ElNino

yeah, I had it changed to LTE. Haven't got to use LTE yet or 4G though, waiting for the update.
I think that makes a difference then. LTE seems to allow Internet Sharing to work on Rogers where as almost everyone with a non-LTE data plan is having issues. Rogers claims the Nokia update will address this, but we'll see.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
On another topic the metal on the back is already scratched on my 900.

Yep, I read about those complaints from lumia 800 owners, so I made sure to warn my wife about it and she is very careful plus she put a case on it. Makes no sense for Nokia to put such an easily scratched metal back there, especially when that metal makes direct contact with whatever surface you put the phone down on.

PG2G

I read this and decided it wasn't worth continuing. If you're going to do an article like this, at least do so for actual issues

Every time you go to sync your files, store your music—or do anything that requires your phone to perform a prolonged operation—you have to keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't crap its pants in the middle of the mall.

frontieruk

Agree on the people app, but Zune layout? he needs to STFU because I find it better than androids stock and iphones player, I find it hard to grasp why people have issues with the zune player how is the design 'a mess'?

I read this and decided it wasn't worth continuing. If you're going to do an article like this, at least do so for actual issues

Hmmm my new music seems to of added ok to the phone while it's been on charge, I only looked because this FUD had me worried.

hwalker84

Well, in theory at least: Right now, using Windows Phone makes you think too much, ironic for a platform whose ad campaign stresses a quick in-and-out experience. You feel uneasy and unsure about tasks that you should be confident are happening flawlessly. Every time you go to sync your files, store your music—or do anything that requires your phone to perform a prolonged operation—you have to keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't crap its pants in the middle of the mall. This simply doesn't happen when using an iPhone or a decent Android handset.

What the fuck is Gizmodo talking about here?

Fjolle

I tried a HTC one X this weekend, and i must admit that while it was a delicious handset, i'd prefer my broken WP over any phone with that os every day.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That article is pretty dumb. If I want to check my "facebook Wall", thats what the ME tile is for.

Edit: Most of these "tech" bloggers don't know shit.

JaggedSac

They must have seen the numbers that The Verge pulled in.

Why would your facebook wall be in the hub where other people's updates are presented? As opposed to the hub where your updates are presented?

wow, what did Nokia do to end the love affair between bloggers and WP7?!?

sounds confusing.

It's not really confusing, though.

The device is designed to be people centric.. all of your social notifications (someone replies to a post you make, someone mentions you in a tweet, etc.) are all in a central location under the "me" tile. By default, this is pinned to the first screen on the phone after you add your accounts to the device and it updates with new notifications.

I keep mine pinned at the very top of my start page.. I can go there and see all of my social notifications, update my status on facebook, see everything I've posted recently to any of the supported social networks, etc. For me, that stuff is a tap and a couple of swipes away.

If you want to see what other people have been up to, you look at their contact entry and the "what's new" section.

It's no more confusing than opening the facebook application and looking at your own wall or a friends' wall from there.

This is simply a case of not knowing how to use the device properly.

frontieruk

... or you can just use the facebook app. like on iOS and Android...

woah woah woah, that's like unpossible

Edit***

Gizmodo author

@kylenw: @frontieruk Syncing, Rdio is constantly dropping all of my songs. Syncing through Mac client skips stuff sometimes. PC Zune behaves, mostly.

Razdek

Banned

I agree that that the People hub and that apps from developers are not as polished for WP7 as they are for IOS or Android. I do believe that Microsoft needs to check the quality of these apps but they seem more concerned in getting the numbers up in the Marketplace as quickly as possible.

I don't think it's as bad as the article makes it out and hopefully Apollo addresses a lot of these issues but Microsoft needs to better teach/force developers to understand the Metro design language better and how to make better apps.

Razdek

Banned
They should've used this commercial for Windows Phone instead of IE9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYRbYzgAvSA

Whenever I see that commercial I know that it's one for IE because it stands out and the music. I still don't think Microsoft knows how to properly advertise WP but it should be something similar to this that shows you all the features that WP has. At least I can't remember any off the top of my head except the "Really" and "Xbox Live" ads.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
well, to be fair, its Windows Phone next gen, which means that its been available on another platform 2 generations ago

I remember Google Goggles blowing me away in early 2010 when I got my Nexus One. Even then, it was as fully featured as Bing vision on mango phones.

Korey

The advert is very slick, something the wp7 adverts bar the Euro Nokia ads haven't been

Whenever I see that commercial I know that it's one for IE because it stands out and the music. I still don't think Microsoft knows how to properly advertise WP but it should be something similar to this that shows you all the features that WP has. At least I can't remember any off the top of my head except the "Really" and "Xbox Live" ads.

Yea. I have my tv running in the background sometimes and this commercial makes me turn my head and watch it every time.

Too bad they wasted it on a browser. It would've sold many Windows Phones I'm sure.

Commodore

It's not really confusing, though.

The device is designed to be people centric.. all of your social notifications (someone replies to a post you make, someone mentions you in a tweet, etc.) are all in a central location under the "me" tile. By default, this is pinned to the first screen on the phone after you add your accounts to the device and it updates with new notifications.

I keep mine pinned at the very top of my start page.. I can go there and see all of my social notifications, update my status on facebook, see everything I've posted recently to any of the supported social networks, etc. For me, that stuff is a tap and a couple of swipes away.

If you want to see what other people have been up to, you look at their contact entry and the "what's new" section.

It's no more confusing than opening the facebook application and looking at your own wall or a friends' wall from there.

This is simply a case of not knowing how to use the device properly.

It took me awhile personally of always loading up the Facebook app to check out my feed or having notification settings on on various twitter applications when I realized I was just being redundant when I already had my ME tile alerting me fairly well of twitter DMs/retweets, and facebook notifications. It's quicker to use the ME tile by far than opening up to each individual app. I rarely use the Facebook app anymore, but if I need any sort of deeper functionality that I'm not getting on the ME tile, I'll pop it open. But for 99% of the time with the functionality I need, the ME tile works perfectly. Anyone who is simply messing around with the phone for a review or just testing it out, without any intention of keeping it as their main driver, especially coming from iPhone/Android, could easily skip over using the ME tile and going with the methods they're used to, opening up each app up to do whatever each app does, and in so doing, misses out on one of the things that make Windows Phones very very good at social networking.

I feel like the platform is sort of becoming, for better lack of a term, teenager in its evolution. Still young, still growing, sort of quirky, still learning how its going to make it, and when compared to more mature platforms, lacking. Seems there's at least enough early adopters for WP that bloggers can give it a hard time and score some nice hits. Just wish they'd actually learn the platform well enough to know its quirks and what the best methods of using the phone and its apps on a daily basis are, so that when they level a complaint, that it's well reasoned, and knowledgeable enough not come off as completely ignorant, as well as finely tuned enough to actually put some heat on MS to highlight areas they can honestly do better.

The one complaint the Giz editorial gave that was more or less legitimate was how many Windows Phone apps often pale in comparison to their iOS/Android cousins. The only real way to improve that situation is either money-hatting devs, or gaining marketshare and...APOLLO. Though then again, the devs that have really tackled the metro design language in their WP7 apps ended up with apps that in many ways exceed their iPhone/Android cousins. Depends on the devs, but with more pull, and more users, MS can have better leverage to pull and move devs in line with the latest features available in the OS/dev tools.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ever since Josh's stupid reviewtorial on the 900 and the increased traffic/engagement it drew, I'm not surprised to see more tech blogs shitting on the OS.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm one of those people that still has a dumb phone. But with telemarketers forcing my phone into silence 100% of the time and donotcall being a joke, I want to get a smart phone for the ability to block calls. I want to get Apollo because Metro's GUI shits over Droid's and Apple's, but I'm not finding call blocking apps. That's more important...even if Droid and Apple's GUI looks like a sea of Windows XP desktop icons.

So are there call blocking apps? Ideally I would like the ability to load a wiki style file that black lists ALL telemarketer numbers and blocks ALL of them. Really tired of these fuckers.

But if that's not possible, something like not getting a ring for unknown numbers and the ability to tap a block button when receiving a call.

If no such feature or app exists, I'm probably going Droid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom