• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

They didn't mention how the display works in the sun, either. If outside readability on the Lumia is significantly better than outside readability on competing phones, that alone should be a major usability plus.

Milchjon

They didn't mention how the display works in the sun, either. If outside readability on the Lumia is significantly better than outside readability on competing phones, that alone should be a major usability plus.

Those fancy filters are a gimmick too, read the review.

Edit: OK, I take that one back too. He only mentions their (non-)impact on blacks, though.

f0lken

The review was fair, and if you are into conspiracy theories what do you think it should score then?, surely no more than an 8 (which IMO is what they think it deserve reading the review but a 7.9 gives more clicks) because the lack of apps is really hurting the overall state of WP. And until WP has the 1000 (yes, 1000, not the top 50 they like to tout and they even got that 50 incomplete) most used apps it will never have a score of 8.5 and up

Tomcat

another day another joke review from the verge
too many inconsistencies
incredible camera yet it scores an 8
design the 920 gets an 8 where the bulkier and with no curved screen 900 got a 10
and not lets get on the ecosystem bullshit

Milchjon

too many inconsistencies
design the 920 gets an 8 where the bulkier and with no curved screen 900 got a 10

Weight?

+ worn off novelty
+ iPhone 5's weight and thickness (920 still looks better, as do the 4/4S)

I'm only guessing, though

too many inconsistencies

Why not? It's 100% true.

I suppose you've read the comparison piece further up the thread?

The Verge always manages to make rather awesome looking video reviews. This one makes the 920 look so hot again. Dat screen, dat camera, dat industrial design.

like in this tread everyone is saying the camera is top notch....

then some one will mention that the iphone take better picture on normal condition....

frontieruk

It really is. When I load up my iPad, it's really obvious. I guess it might be the case of you don't know what you're missing around here though.

Pfft you windows 7 owners don't know what you've got, try browsing the store on a Surface RT, then you'll know what sparse means.

and is it wrong I only ever installed 5 apps on my ipad??

hadareud

The Translator
Why not? It's 100% true.

It is obviously true, what's questionable is the weighting of it though.

People love their apps, obviously - but I suspect I'm not alone in that hundreds of thousands of apps don't actually make all that much of a difference in what you are getting out of a phone.

I have around 70 apps installed on my Desire HD having tried out and uninstalled countless more (many of which I've bought in one of the promotions and got rid of almost immediately). How many of them am I actually using on a regular basis? 30, or so. How many of those are not available on WP? 4, with on of them being Flash and that's no longer available on Android either.

Now, the ones that aren't there in my case are important to me (Sky+, Sky Go and iPlayer) and I'm sure for other people there's the odd other app that isn't available and it's definitely worth mentioning in a review - but the extent to which they all seem to hammer on about it is exaggerated imo.

Milchjon

It really is. When I load up my iPad, it's really obvious. I guess it might be the case of you don't know what you're missing around here though.

Maybe.

I'm looking forward to trying it at a store on monday. And to Anandtech's and Pocketnow's reviews.

The main thing those last few weeks have done to me is making me question whether I even need a new phone. I've always been focused on the 920, nothing else appeals to me enough to get me away from my 800. Even though I'd kinda like Google Now. The rest, I don't give a shit about. But the way Nokia/MS/carriers are bungling the launch, I might just wait a while longer.

Tomcat

I have a high end android phone and I can tell you that I don't miss nothing. Is the app situation worst than android iPhone? Yes undoubtedly but not so as to score a 5. (Lumia 800 got a 6 and a few months later the score fell to 5 even if the app numbers skyrocketed. The inconsistencies I was talking). For me when we are talking about ecosystems the apps is one side of the coin. SkyDrive, office, smartglass, maps etc are part of the ecosystem too and i value them more important than any instagram app that may missing from the store.

They mentiond on the podcast that ecosystem doesn't just refer to apps. It refers to apps (which do play a large role), but also to other services (which they said ecosystem score would have been lower if nokia/MS didn't offer the services they did), as well as things you can buy for it hardware wise whether it's cases, docks, cables, etc....when they say ecosystem they mean literally EVERYTHING. What's available for it in every category.

derFeef

They mentiond on the podcast that ecosystem doesn't just refer to apps. It refers to apps (which do play a large role), but also to other services (which they said ecosystem score would have been lower if nokia/MS didn't offer the services they did), as well as things you can buy for it hardware wise whether it's cases, docks, cables, etc....when they say ecosystem they mean literally EVERYTHING. What's available for it in every category.

So that I have to buy cable adapters is a good thing. Got it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

If that's the case, the 920 should definitely score higher in that category.

maeh2k

What's sad about that is that a lot of people just pay attention to the final score (or top lists) even if they have different priorities. For someone who doesn't use many apps, values the integrated experiences in Windows Phone, and doesn't care about the size of the phone, the 920 is probably the best choice.

f0lken

I have a high end android phone and I can tell you that I don't miss nothing. Is the app situation worst than android iPhone? Yes undoubtedly but not so as to score a 5. (Lumia 800 got a 6 and a few months later the score fell to 5 even if the app numbers skyrocketed. The inconsistencies I was talking). For me when we are talking about ecosystems the apps is one side of the coin. SkyDrive, office, smartglass, maps etc are part of the ecosystem too and i value them more important than any instagram app that may missing from the store.

Its not an inconsistency because the number of apps don't tell all the story rather what apps are there, one example is Draw Something, earlier this year it was THE app to get, everyone was talking about it and everyone was enjoying in Android and iOS, but then the fad was over and everyone moved to other apps or games, and its just now (or more accurately very soon) that WP will have it, an app that no one even cares about anymore, it may not matter to you, or me or other people but app matters, and its not only about having the main and top apps, you need even those small apps that some people enjoy and suddenly become a big hit, being momentary like Draw something, or a phenomenon that is here to stay like Instagram.

once again, apps/services are most of it still. They were saying the score could be lower if not for the other things, lol.

?

I don't understand what is there to lol about the bolded, are they saying that if other things weren't good it would score lower??? Then they deserve the nicolascagememe.jpg pic

hadareud

The Translator
once again, apps/services are most of it still. They were saying the score could be lower if not for the other things, lol.

They gave the 8X a 5 too.

I stick with my initial assessment that they are full of shit.

Don't get me wrong, I honestly don't mind what they score it. I'd prefer it if they didn't come up with phony bollocksy reasoning for it though.

It's not the amount of apps that are important, but the developers of quality apps that are drawn to the ecosystem.

I use about 3 apps on my phone.

Browser
Google Reader
Weather

So apps on phones are not important to me, though it seems very hard to code a quick and simple Google Reader.

The problem is another one, that someone here already mentioned.

Whenever there's something new, cool and exciting, it's never on Windows Phone. And when it comes, it's months later, when no one else cares about it anymore (hello Draw Something). This is important for the market. No one wants to be left out when friends are all doing cool shit with their phones. "Well, yeah, but I have resizable Live Tiles now" won't cut it.

I don't understand what is there to lol about the bolded, are they saying that if other things weren't good it would score lower??? Then they deserve the nicolascagememe.jpg pic
it's amusing because you guys are saying then the score should be higher if they take those other things into account, and I'm telling you that those other things are the reason the score isn't lower. Meaning they have taken them into account.

But yeah apps and services are the most of the score.

f0lken

What's sad about that is that a lot of people just pay attention to the final score (or top lists) even if they have different priorities. For someone who doesn't use many apps, values the integrated experiences in Windows Phone, and doesn't care about the size of the phone, the 920 is probably the best choice.

Of course, and for my needs is like WP was created exclusively for me and that's the reason I like it so much and is still my favorite OS for the things I do and how it does the things it does, is truly a wonderful experience that my Galaxy Note with Jelly Bean and my previous iPhone 4 can't match for me.

But WP needs to do more than to appeal to a specific kind of person to be succesful

hadareud

The Translator
Whenever there's something new, cool and exciting, it's never on Windows Phone. And when it comes, it's months later, when no one else cares about it anymore (hello Draw Something). This is important for the market. No one wants to be left out when friends are all doing cool shit with their phones. "Well, yeah, but I have resizable Live Tiles now" won't cut it.

That's very true and something I wanted to mention in my earlier post.

That is obviously a minus and it's also why it should be scored down. It's the extent to which they do that I question, though.

derFeef

For the record I think scores are dumb, but sadly it matters to people and it's a thing to show off for the hardcore. Also sadly is that it's handled in an unfair way by The Verge and in a pretty obvious way too - but the majority of people will look at the score, base their opinion on that, point fingers and walk off.

It sucks.

venne

It's not the amount of apps that are important, but the developers of quality apps that are drawn to the ecosystem.

I use about 3 apps on my phone.

Browser
Google Reader
Weather

So apps on phones are not important to me, though it seems very hard to code a quick and simple Google Reader.

The problem is another one, that someone here already mentioned.

Meh, I think Wordament was something new, cool, and exciting. Windows Phone just doesn't have the critical mass to push something into the public consciousness.

Reminds me of the PS2 and Xbox generation. No matter what the Xbox had, people could point to GTA, Final Fantasy, and the much larger library and dismiss it.

maeh2k

Of course, and for my needs is like WP was created exclusively for me and that's the reason I like it so much and is still my favorite OS for the things I do and how it does the things it does, is truly a wonderful experience that my Galaxy Note with Jelly Bean and my previous iPhone 4 can't match for me.

But WP needs to do more than to appeal to a specific kind of person to be succesful

It's not appealing only to a niche audience. To me it feels like it would be appealing to half of the population (and 0% of reviewers).

Totakeke

Sounds like the Verge wasn't ticked by 920's list of laundry list of improvements that are covered by gimmicks, marketing doublespeak, and too accurate camera tones.

Can anyone not argue if some of the features was on an Apple device they would be ten times more enthusiastic about it? You guys are giving them too much credit.

derFeef

Sounds like the Verge wasn't ticked by 920's list of laundry list of improvements that are covered by gimmicks, marketing doublespeak, and too accurate camera tones.

Can anyone not argue if some of the features was on an Apple device they would be ten times more enthusiastic about it? You guys are giving them too much credit.

This. Sadly... it's laughable.

Totakeke

Also for the small amount of user base this platform has, it has tons of apps and plenty of high quality ones. The problem is there are no notable exclusives, hardly any games, and Google hates Windows Phones.

We already went through this plenty of times though, if you want a robust app ecosystem WP isn't the one for you right now, but the UI is still much modern than the competition which is only catching up. The Verge can give the ecosystem what they want, but that's usually not the only thing they have against Microsoft based devices.

f0lken

It's not appealing only to a niche audience. To me it feels like it would be appealing to half of the population (and 0% of reviewers).

Yup, but that was only until now with the release of Windows 8 and everything that comes with it that WP has increased its appeal and target market, but Windows 8 is still a newborn paradigm and the ways it will benefit WP in more things that what MS itself can do for it (like Xbox Music) remain to be seen, thats why this 7.9 score is fair to me (good to very good hardware save for the weight and good software that is being kept trapped in the bottom for the lack of apps).

cube444

Very true. There are apps that you use daily or a few times a week and I can see the importance of those to someone. I also see the vast majority of apps to any OS being useless and nothing but cash grabs.

Its not an inconsistency because the number of apps don't tell all the story rather what apps are there, one example is Draw Something, earlier this year it was THE app to get, everyone was talking about it and everyone was enjoying in Android and iOS, but then the fad was over and everyone moved to other apps or games, and its just now (or more accurately very soon) that WP will have it, an app that no one even cares about anymore, it may not matter to you, or me or other people but app matters, and its not only about having the main and top apps, you need even those small apps that some people enjoy and suddenly become a big hit, being momentary like Draw something, or a phenomenon that is here to stay like Instagram.

Good point but this is also something that comes with time and as the install base increases and developers take notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom