• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw man, I want a cat. Not enough to pay the bajillion dollars to allow one in my apartment :(

When we used to live in an apartment many moons ago we hid one in our room for the longest time along with a small dog (a pom). Good thing we don't have anyone next to us and the people below us are two drunken old couples so they never noticed the pets.

On topic ... why does the price for At&t said from $149.99? Is there a various model or the price vary depends on contract?

Also it seems 8S are destined for small carrier....probably along with the Ativ since it doesn't have LTE. I am thinking Ativ will be off contract phone and probably sold at Microsoft store (didn't Ballmer said something along the line that all the phone will be available at Microsoft Store?).

cube444

Yeah, that's why I said pre-order ;)

Have you ever cancelled a contract with a carrier? If I choose the 8X I may switch to Bell. Would I just have to pay Rogers the remaining value of my device/contract?

Yes I'm pretty sure it's what's left of the contract at $20 per month.

How many months do you have left?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I'm pretty sure it's what's left of the contract at $20 per month.

How many months do you have left?

How has Bell been for you? I'm in western Canada and their coverage looks pretty solid.

Edit: Apparently Gretzky is going to be at the grand opening of the MS store in Toronto.

zedge

How has Bell been for you? I'm in western Canada and their coverage looks pretty solid.

Edit: Apparently Gretzky is going to be at the grand opening of the MS store in Toronto.
Bell coverage is so much better than Rogers. Also their lte coverage is much better.

JaggedSac

Pocket-Lint 920 review said:
It's is so heavy it will hamper you wanting to use it single-handed. It's so big and slab-like that it carries little kudos or cool factor. No-one we've shown it too liked the look or design of the phone. It won't have many of the apps you probably want, or already use, if you're switching from another OS.

Say What!?!?!?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bell coverage is so much better than Rogers. Also their lte coverage is much better.

Good to know. I'm just outside Calgary and 4G can be hit or miss. And if u go back to Saskatchewan Rogers is terrible there.

Edit: opening is 16th-17th

Yeah, someone's dog got run over this morning. From their Galaxy Note II review:

We've travelled around a fair bit with the Note. We've been asked a lot about the size, and honestly, it's not a problem. It will fit in your jeans pocket, assuming your jeans aren't too tight, and you won't really notice its extra weight.

Strangely, it's not really any harder to use with one hand than a phone such as the Samsung Galaxy S III. As Apple points out, there is a ratio that allows for single-handed use, and most modern Android phones ignore it. So while the Note is hard to use single-handed, it's not any more difficult than any other Android phone.

It's a bit heavier though, which might bother some, but it has a nice weight, and a great overall balance.

Q49Ij.png

The 920, which is .01 pounds heavier, is suddenly a giant, unwieldy, ugly phone? It's also thinner than the 900, though wider/taller.

Meh. I'll decide once I have one in hand, but I feel like if it were a problem, all of the hands-on up to this point would have mentioned it.

MarkusRJR

So do we know if the WP8 marketplace has PayPal support like the Xbox and W8 stores? Someone has to know this by now; I mean Rogers is already selling the 920 right?

Dead

well not really...yet
Those shot comparisons are stunning. 920 is simply in a league of its own as far as the camera goes. Wow.

Nice camera comparison between the Lumia 920, Nokia 808, Lumia 900, and HTC One X

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/16087_PureView_shootout_Nokia_808_vs.php

And wow, the Lumia 900 is terrible hahah

Nice:

Conclusion

Scores aren't everything, though for anyone totting them up during the piece, the totals (each out of 70) are:

1. Nokia 808 PureView 61 pts
  2. Nokia Lumia 920 PureView 57pts
  3. HTC One X 34 pts
  4. Nokia Lumia 900 28 pts

We'll obviously have a lot more on the Lumia 920's camera as part of our formal review coverage on All About Windows Phone, but I'm already able to come to a few conclusions:

• In terms of all round still photography, the 1/1.2"-sensored Nokia 808 PureView, running Symbian, is still the best camera phone in the world - by a small margin. Though add in real world shots of people indoors and at events, where the Xenon flash freezes motion so much better, and the 808 draws further ahead.
  • Given the constraints on phone thickness, the camera in the new 1/3"-sensored Lumia 920 PureView does astonishingly well with the benefit of the OIS. With a sensor that's barely bigger than that in the Android and iOS competition, it produces shots that are often close to the 808's and occasionally better. Given that the humped Nokia 808, running a smartphone OS which is now facing an End Of Life, isn't for everybody, the sleek Lumia 920 running a 2013 operating system may well be the better option for users who love taking photos. The next-gen LED flash does need more testing and, as with all LED-equipped phones, there will still be issues in low light when shooting people. Watch this space for real world pub tests!
  • Even used with care, photos from the likes of the 1/3.2"-sensored HTC One X (and, by inference, the iPhone 4S/5 and SGS III) are almost always going to be inferior to those from the similarly sized Lumia 920 - the optical image stablisation did well here - it'll do even better in terms of difference in quality when used by novice users.
  • The previous generation of 1/3.2" camera units used by Nokia, even with Carl Zeiss optics, are worlds apart from the 920's camera. Worlds. Partly down to the previous Windows Phone 7 software, partly the average hardware, partly the lack of OIS. A side issue, for AAS readers, is whether the two year old 1/1.8"-sensored Nokia N8 has a better camera than the Lumia 920. The physicist in me says yes, but the OIS on the latter would make it a very close match to call. One for me to test another day!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I wish Nokia would explore the big image sensor in smartphone approach. But why? They'd probably take AT&T's offer of exclusivity for 6 months.

Milchjon

I have no complaints whatsoever about battery life. Even running LTE full-bore, I was able to get a full day's use out of the Lumia 920. It's not in the same class as the Droid RAZR Maxx HD, but it's a small step above most LTE phones I've used. It has a 2,000mAh battery, 200mAh more than the 8X, and that relatively small bump makes a big difference in terms of my peace of mind.

That's good.

And a nitpick again, but it's bugging me to no end that once again they're illustrating the review with a cyan phone and a magenta accent color. It's like it's done on purpose, 900 was the same.

Just need to ignore the ecosystem score. Everything else is pretty solid.

Pretty much, although I don't know why the camera scored an 8. Is this the only real dig they had against it?

A legitimate criticism of Nokia’s 808 PureView camera is that while it can take amazing shots, it really requires the hands of a very knowledgeable user to pull them off. That same complaint applies to the Lumia 920’s camera as well. To most eyes, the images look a little washed out and don’t "pop," with not enough warm tones. A studied pro might say that they’re more accurate and true to life, but the vast majority of smartphone users don’t want to think about the nuances of optical imaging stabilization, they just want to take photos.

Seems similar to some other "complaints", saying the shots look more washed out, where they're actually more accurate.

maeh2k

I can't say I didn't see that coming.
With constant OS criticisms and the ecosystem score dragging the overall score down Windows Phones just won't get better scores than that.

Verge Review isn't that bad, 7.9. If you ignore the Ecosystem score it gets even higher. Although if you keep it in, it still ranks as "Very good. Excellent. A superb product with minor flaws." Based on what the numbers mean to them.

Can't wait to pick up the 920 myself ^-^

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Verge Review isn't that bad, 7.9. If you ignore the Ecosystem score it gets even higher. Although if you keep it in, it still ranks as "Very good. Excellent. A superb product with minor flaws." Based on what the numbers mean to them.

Yeah. It is on par with the other superphones imo, as is the 8X.

Milchjon

They're based in NYC, you'd think they'd mention a technology that let's you use the phone with gloves at least once. But... nope, nowhere.

They also gloss over wireless charging.

Once again I'm disappointed with the lack of depth in this review.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
They're based in NYC, you'd think they'd mention a technology that let's you use the phone with gloves at least once. But... nope, nowhere.

Those are good points.

Troll

Banned

I sort of wish Josh did the 920 review.

kazinova

I'm definitely getting a 920 still, I just can't figure out how they assign ecosystem scores. How does any ecosystem without Office get a perfect 10. It's mind boggling. Unless you realize it's "The Verge"!

What? Read again. It's a gimmick.

It won’t work with thick, winter gloves, but touches through thinner material register on the device — it’s a bit of a gimmick, but it’s one that works as advertised.

Also, who wants nice and responsive displays, right?

swiping around in Windows Phone 8's various screens yields sharp transitions with crisp motion. If you're basing your smartphone buying decision on such things, the 920 is your phone. Also, I'm really, genuinely curious as to what makes you tick.

Milchjon

That's what I'm afraid of.... Dayam this is too confusing.

I suppose you've read the comparison piece further up the thread?

The Verge always manages to make rather awesome looking video reviews. This one makes the 920 look so hot again. Dat screen, dat camera, dat industrial design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom