• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If they are not already MS just needs to put more effort into moneyhatting devs.

A lot of smaller devs just don't give a shit about the MS platform. More and more kids in CS departments or indie garage developers are running OSX or Linux environments these days for coding. Now I'm not saying this is true across the board, but it's definitely a shift I've seen over the last decade or so from friends/family/colleagues as well as campuses around me.

If they are not already MS just needs to put more effort into moneyhatting devs.

They're doing that, but it doesn't help much. Most of the popular apps are done by smaller teams and they don't have the resources. Microsoft and Nokia might help out with money and man power initially, but once the app is out of the door, the devs need to take care of it on their own. This leads to big name apps that are there, but treated as the red headed stepchild, that is always behind when it comes to updates and new features.

Developers need to do it on their own and it's not worth it, unless the market share is over 10%.

f0lken

A notification center should be available from any point in the OS.

What about something like this (with the lockscreen notification icons besides your name)

wDlkg.jpg

Into this:

Milchjon

A lot of smaller devs just don't give a shit about the MS platform. More and more kids in CS departments or indie garage developers are running OSX or Linux environments these days for coding. Now I'm not saying this is true across the board, but it's definitely a shift I've seen over the last decade or so from friends/family/colleagues as well as campuses around me.

Yeah, I just started University (again), and I was surprised how much more people were on Linux or OSX than I expected.

Totakeke

Regardless of whether Windows 8 store will be a success, it has definitely increased the number of potential developers by a huge amount. Just look at how the same developers for apps on WP has done a good job of making equally or better apps for Win8, the vice versa should be true. While it's sad that at this point the answer is still wait for the future, that's still the answer for the apps situation.

Comparatively what could drive the increase of tablet apps for Android-based tablets? Very little on the horizon compared to the Windows platforms. Unfortunately we're stuck with hope and hope also breeds disappointment.

cube444

So how future proof are these new Windows 8 phones? When Windows 9 is released would they be able to handle the update or would we be looking at new phones altogether again?

Saw this on another site as a notification centre idea:

home_new_00000_00000_medium.png

Milchjon

So how future proof are these new Windows 8 phones? When Windows 9 is released would they be able to handle the update or would be looking at new phones altogether again?

Saw this on another site as a notification centre idea:

home_new_00000_00000_medium.png

They should be futureproof. But who knows.

Totakeke

Yeah, no one knows. But they don't have a kernel to switch this time so it's far less likely it'll oboslete within three years.

cube444

Thanks guys. That would help with attracting potential consumers who might be wary of jumping aboard if they're uncertain about how long their phone is meaningful.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just give me some more asynchronous boardgames. For the most part i have the apps i want and the phone OS itself is great.

Edit: regarding notifications, somebody on twitter mentioned why not just swipe to the left. Apps on the right, notifications on the left. Simple.

So how future proof are these new Windows 8 phones? When Windows 9 is released would they be able to handle the update or would we be looking at new phones altogether again?

The problem with Windows Phone 7 was the very old and dated code base they used for the OS (Windows CE 6 R3, released in 2006). That limited the hardware support massively (no multi-core support, max 512 MB RAM). Technically, Windows Phone 8 is a completely new OS, that shares code base and kernel with Windows 8/RT. With that change, OEMs would need to write new drivers for the old chipsets and carriers would have to test this massive update again and that's somethings no one wanted to spend money on, considering the tiny user base.

f0lken

Edit: regarding notifications, somebody on twitter mentioned why not just swipe to the left. Apps on the right, notifications on the left. Simple.

But it doesn't work if you are inside of an app, a notification center should be accessible from everywhere, otherwise you wouldn't need it because looking at the live tiles would be even better than to scroll to the left in the start screen

venne

But it doesn't work if you are inside of an app, a notification center should be accessible from everywhere, otherwise you wouldn't need it because looking at the live tiles would be even better than to scroll to the left in the start screen

Hold the back button.

The current layout screams for something more.

Troll

Banned

What if you hold down the back button trigger multitasking view, hit volume down while shaking your phone? That should do the trick, right?

What if you hold down the back button trigger multitasking view, hit volume down while shaking your phone? That should do the trick, right?

I got a better idea: Replace Bing with the notification center, making the center available with just one press on the search button.

No one uses Bing anyway.

Totakeke

Bing is still awful outside US. Did I mention the big G hates Windows Phones?

The Verge said:
A legitimate criticism of Nokia’s 808 PureView camera is that while it can take amazing shots, it really requires the hands of a very knowledgeable user to pull them off. That same complaint applies to the Lumia 920’s camera as well.

Alright, this still bugs me to hell so someone explain how that works to me. Isn't OIS supposed to make it easier to take good photos? How exactly do you have to be "very knowledgeable" to take photos with OIS?

f0lken

I got a better idea: Replace Bing with the notification center, making the center available with just one press on the search button.

No one uses Bing anyway.

I use it =(

Alright, someone explain how that works to me. Isn't OIS supposed to make it easier to take good photos? How exactly do you have to be "very knowledgeable" to take photos with OIS?

From what I understand the Lumia takes photos "as it is" and not like Galaxys or iPhones where the phones do some post processing to enhance the final photo. Think of it like RAW files that need to be post-processed to achieve the results you want, I am sure that with a good lens app you could achieve stunning results

Milchjon

Why is The Verge always the first major site to push out their review? Looking at their scores of MS products, I don't suppose anyone would lift their NDAs earlier than those on other sites.

Totakeke

From what I understand the Lumia takes photos "as it is" and not like Galaxys or iPhones where the phones do some post processing to enhance the final photo. Think of it like RAW files that need to be post-processed to achieve the results you want, I am sure that with a good lens app you could achieve stunning results

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and that is not what they meant. That would be extremely dumb. Good photos =/= photos that pop up to my eyes.

Bullza2o

No one uses Bing anyway.

I like to use the vision section of Bing, and the nearby places feature. That's all though.
How about holding down Windows button? Does anyone even use the voice command?

I like to use the vision section of Bing, and the nearby places feature. That's all though.
How about holding down Windows button? Does anyone even use the voice command?

I was kidding. Bing on Windows Phone is pretty great. I love Bing Music. It was usually faster and more accurate than Shazam for me. Shame another unannounced feature didn't make it for this release (another reason why they should decouple app updates from the OS, like Google).

Yeah, someone's dog got run over this morning. From their Galaxy Note II review:

Q49Ij.png

The 920, which is .01 pounds heavier, is suddenly a giant, unwieldy, ugly phone? It's also thinner than the 900, though wider/taller.

Meh. I'll decide once I have one in hand, but I feel like if it were a problem, all of the hands-on up to this point would have mentioned it.

whoa, the Lumia is thicker and heavier than the Galaxy Note II??? i mean, i knew it was big boned, but wow...

Dead

well not really...yet
Verge keep on delivering with their review

"Camera is too good, consumers want overly saturated photo quality. 8/10"

Its too funny.

A great camera for pros, but what about the rest of us
lol

Sounds like the Verge wasn't ticked by 920's list of laundry list of improvements that are covered by gimmicks, marketing doublespeak, and too accurate camera tones.

Can anyone not argue if some of the features was on an Apple device they would be ten times more enthusiastic about it? You guys are giving them too much credit.

"The screen refresh is great, if you're A NERD."

"The colors are actually more accurate but they don't have the 'pop' that your average user will like."

bedlamite

not to add to the Verge hate, and maybe I've just overthinking this, but brown tiles on a black phone? Could the Verge have made the phone look any more drab?

Firestorm

I really couldn't care less about reviews right now. For anyone who has the Lumia 920 on Rogers: Can you use it as a wireless hotspot or at least do a wired tether with it on a MacBook?

Also, anyone on Windows Phone 8, could you take a screenshot of http://nuggetbridge.com/forums and either post it here or PM me? I'm interested to know if IE10 renders it like it's supposed to look or if it still looks like crap. iOS and Android seem to render it fine but my phone can't -.-

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I really couldn't care less about reviews right now. For anyone who has the Lumia 920 on Rogers: Can you use it as a wireless hotspot or at least do a wired tether with it on a MacBook?

Also, anyone on Windows Phone 8, could you take a screenshot of http://nuggetbridge.com/forums and either post it here or PM me? I'm interested to know if IE10 renders it like it's supposed to look or if it still looks like crap. iOS and Android seem to render it fine but my phone can't -.-

I can use my 900 as a hotspot so I see no reason why 920 can't.

zedge

Yeah. I have been here for year and only just went this summer. Great place, a lot to see.

I haven't been yet.. really need to go.

I really want to get my hands on an a WP8 phone though. Jeez. I'm a big Android fanboy but I really like WP 8 too.. loving Windows 8 on my pc, haha, such a nerd.

Magni

Does the EBSAVE25 code not work for off contract phones? :(

edit: only for 24 month contracts, wow the US really does hate freedom when it comes to cell phones! Also, $650 for an 8X? How much is the 920 gonna cost unlocked, $800? Holy crap.

Why not? It's 100% true.

They just weight eco-system on Windows Phone 8 more than other I suppose that way they can tweak the overall score down to reflect the fact that its Microsoft products.

"More times than not, the Verge score is based on the average of the subscores below. However, since this is a non-weighted average, we reserve the right to tweak the overall score if we feel it doesn't reflect our overall assessment and price of the product."

I am just curious to see what score they give Nexus 4 with lack of LTE, 8gb of memory ... I am sure it will get 8+ because LTE is not needed and 8gb memory is enough since everything are on the cloud.

Also Nexus 7 got 8.8 and that eco-system is just as shit. Unless of course you count all the phone App as Tablet app which apparently is OK to do when it come to Google products.

MiniIpad with shitty low res screen at $329 get a 9 ... because it's Apple Product. If it was Google then it would get an 8 (Apple get bonus 2+ while Google get 1+ to overall score.

Call tin foil hat or conspiracy bull shit all you want, it's pretty obvious the press are pretty bias against Microsoft products. All the pro are brush aside while the con are highlight to be something worst.

I remember listening to Twit about what they want from iPhone 5 and they all mention thing like wireless charging, NFC support etc. iPhone 5 came out not support any of that ...suddenly those thing are not needed. Lumia 920 have all that but simply get gloss over because they rather talk about "fake" advertisement.

And you guys think I am nut when I said the next age of PC is already set and the players are in place it will be Apple and Google at the top for the next 10 years. Microsoft have no chance, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 Metro will never get any serious exposure when you have media that already heavily invest in Apple and Google ecosystem. Now let just hope someone not Google buy up Nokia next year.

Totakeke

They just weight eco-system on Windows Phone 8 more than other I suppose that way they can tweak the overall score down to reflect the fact that its Microsoft products.

I am just curious to see what score they give Nexus 4 with lack of LTE, 8gb of memory ... I am sure it will get 8+ because LTE is not needed and 8gb memory is enough since everything are on the cloud.

Also Nexus 7 got 8.8 and that eco-system is just as shit. Unless of course you count all the phone App as Tablet app which apparently is OK to do when it come to Google products.

MiniIpad with shitty low res screen at $329 get a 9 ... because it's Apple Product. If it was Google then it would get an 8 (Apple get bonus 2+ while Google get 1+ to overall score.

Call tin foil hat or conspiracy bull shit all you want, it's pretty obvious the press are pretty bias against Microsoft products. All the pro are brush aside while the con are highlight to be something worst.

I remember listening to Twit about what they want from iPhone 5 and they all mention thing like wireless charging, NFC support etc. iPhone 5 came out not support any of that ...suddenly those thing are not needed. Lumia 920 have all that but simply get gloss over because they rather talk about "fake" advertisement.

And you guys think I am nut when I said the next age of PC is already set and the players are in place it will be Apple and Google at the top for the next 10 years. Microsoft have no chance, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 Metro will never get any serious exposure when you have media that already heavily invest in Apple and Google ecosystem. Now let just hope someone not Google buy up Nokia next year.

You give too much credit to the media. Content is still king.

Magni

Does anyone know when Microsoft Stores are gonna have WP8's in stock? Their website doesn't even acknowledge their existence and is still touting the greatness of the Lumia 900 lol

PG2G

Does anyone know when Microsoft Stores are gonna have WP8's in stock? Their website doesn't even acknowledge their existence and is still touting the greatness of the Lumia 900 lol

I wouldn't expect them any time before the carriers release them. So...

T-Mobile - 11/14
Verizon - soon
AT&T - soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom