• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullza2o

I sure hope Best Buy will have the 920 in-stock day one. I'm scared of preordering from them, now that twice their listing for it disappeared/went OOS. I want to use my $120 BB gift card.

About that brown color Verge video, if you watch that you would think the phone would score a 9 or something. Camera is awesome, low light blah, blah, blah , picture true to life color etc... best camera blah blah. Video is great, check out the image stabilizing on the camera etc... so awesome.

Then I guess reality set in that it's not Android or iDevices, so they have to weight the score down accordingly so it can't score higher than their favorite phone.

Camera better than iPhone ... let give it the same score as iPhone because people rather have bold, fault color photo. Night time camera picture ... It's too good, let give it the same as iPhone because no one use iPhone at night to take picture. Low light, just turn on the light you don't need low light camera (until iPhone does it then it will be god send, best camera ever). Video probably the best on any smartphone due to OIS but you know it's not needed feature because no one move when take video (until Apple implement image stabilizer next year, then it will be god tier phone).

And people saying the Verge review is fair ... seriously. May be they are scoring it to get hit as someone suggest because they know how crazy Windows Phone fanboys are.

The Verge is very obviously corrupt, those reviews are full on spin and intellectual dishonesty. "A great camera for pros, but what about the rest of us" Us? What the hell does that mean, he should be a professional critic, he should know how to use a camera...

So I have a question for the Canadians here. Did any of you buy the 900 off contact to bring to another carrier? And if you did, did you run into any problems with any Nokia apps or updating the phone itself?

I'm asking because I'm looking at getting the 920 off contract from Rogers and possibly bring it over to either Telus or Wind. I have been looking to see if there were any problems form other people on the webs, although I'm coming up short. I did manage to see at least a few people talk about problems getting updates or using Wireless Internet Sharing. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experiences to share so I know what I may be getting into if I chose that route.

Troll

Banned
Cnet has the 8x vs 920 vs Apple 5 camera battle up. Some pics are extremely questionable.

Example.

Lumia920_vegatation_610x385.png

a WTF is this 8x pic
HTC8X_vegetation_1_610x462.png

iPhone
iPhone5_vegetation_610x381.png

after looking at more camera comparison...

the "pureview" of the 920 should have been called nightview instead..under normal condition it doesn't come close to the pureview 808.

Fjolle

You guys should use your energy on actually getting your hands on a phone instead of discussing reviews. Maybe get MS to send the top *checks shame list* 20 posters here a new phone :)
Complaining here won't get you better reviews. And we have established by now that they are bullshit.

http://www.wpcentral.com/sneak-peek-metrotube-windows-phone-8

Why is MetroTube not the official Youtube app by now? Shit is darn beautiful.

I wonder if it has something to do with MS/Nokia suing everybody that thinks of making an android phone...

Troll

Banned
You guys should use your energy on actually getting your hands on a phone instead of discussing reviews. Maybe get MS to send the top *checks shame list* 20 posters here a new phone :)
Complaining here won't get you better reviews. And we have established by now that they are bullshit.

I wonder if it has something to do with MS/Nokia suing everybody that thinks of making an android phone...

Top 20 posters? Where did you get that number from? *Checks list. Sees Fjolle at 19*

bedlamite

The pics taken from "professional" reviews are shockingly poor, I'm just going to disregard them all and stick to user reviews from the 'net.

frontieruk

Complaining here won't get you better reviews. And we have established by now that they are bullshit...

I can get down with that.

I don't have to check that list (not sure if I want to), but I wouldn't mind getting another phone.

Wait, WP8 has emoji like iPhone? Will they be able to see each other's icons? It sounds silly, but this is a major feature for me.

Emoji were implemented in 7.5, but the coding of the ones in 8 seem to be based on standards.

Emoji_ss_20121028_0008.gif

Those are the same emoji as Windows 8 uses, I know the people who work on that feature - they are in Japan believe it or not. Emoji on phones is harder than you can imagine to make work right because of the way all the different carriers in Japan use different mapping systems especially with legacy phones.

Cnet has the 8x vs 920 vs Apple 5 camera battle up. Some pics are extremely questionable.

Example.

Lumia920_vegatation_610x385.png

a WTF is this 8x pic
HTC8X_vegetation_1_610x462.png

iPhone
iPhone5_vegetation_610x381.png

What's up with this cabbage comparison?

Nokia 920
Lumia920_cabbage_Closeups.png

iPhone 5
iPhone5_Cabbage_CloseUp_610x341.png

Am I nuts, or is there some kind of light source with the iPhone 5? They look completely different.

Overall, I still don't really know what to think. 920 still seems to add a green shade, something my 900 has done (in addition to other colors).

I trust Nokia to update their camera firmware, but the daylight shots aren't terribly impressive.

SeanR1221

Honestly? Id just be happy if the 920 is better than my iPhone 4 camera, which already takes some really good shots (in the right lighting).

What's up with this cabbage comparison?

Am I nuts, or is there some kind of light source with the iPhone 5? They look completely different.

Overall, I still don't really know what to think. 920 still seems to add a green shade, something my 900 has done (in addition to other colors).

I trust Nokia to update their camera firmware, but the daylight shots aren't terribly impressive.

Are these 920 photos taken with OIS off? What's the point? The results seem to be very strange compared to this test for example:
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/16087_PureView_shootout_Nokia_808_vs.php

Blackhead

Redarse
The pics taken from "professional" reviews are shockingly poor, I'm just going to disregard them all and stick to user reviews from the 'net.

Er, I'll just wait for a shootout by dpreview. They are even more fastidious the Anandtech when it comes to the camera details and don't have any of the slant.

PG2G

Saw a Windows Phone 8 story on the news this morning while I was at the gym. It looks like they recorded it at the event the other day, they talked to some guy from Microsoft, Gizmodo, and... Jessica Alba <3

I'm kind of hoping this means the marketing blitz is going to begin, and hopefully bring some release info with it.

wow im poster #43 in this thread and I already feel like im in here all the time. I thought I'd easily be in the top 20 :D

whatevs Microsoft, I've been rocking a Windows Phone avatar for years, if anyone deserves a free phone <- thats damon

wow im poster #43 in this thread and I already feel like im in here all the time. I thought I'd easily be in the top 20 :D

whatevs Microsoft, I've been rocking a Windows Phone avatar for years, if anyone deserves a free phone <- thats damon

And yet you didn't bother to update your avatar with the new logo. Psh.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Brot should be embarrassed about his post count in this thread.

Seriously, who cares that much about windows phone?

Also, if MS would like to give me a free phone, I'd be much obliged. I'm still like $200 short of the 920 and my ps3 isn't fetching much on eBay. My trusty old Nexus One is next on the auction block.

Blackhead

Redarse
Last time I checked there's hardly any buzz about the 920 on their site.

Just because dpreview doesn't have 920 buzz doesn't mean they won't give it a fair review. In past years dpreview only evaluated the new iPhones but the Nokia 808 this year got a lot of buzz from them leading to more reporting on cameraphones including reviews of the HTC One X and Galaxy SIII in recent weeks. I'm expecting a good review of the 920 too. At the very least you can expect professional comparisons shots

JaggedSac

Lol, The Verge busting Nokia's balls for using marketing speak on their screen tech.

And I had no idea I was slumming around in this thread so much.

Gav

Im in the UK. If I ordered the 920 SIM-free from Germany, would there be any duty/tax to pay upon delivery?
Not sure how it all works when sending within the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom