• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

So when we updating the OP/getting a new OT for Windows Phone 8?

If only it were more magical and thinnovative :(

Resolutionary! Retina!

Edit: Retina is one of the smartest and most useful marketing words in recent history. No one knows about PPI, and no one knows what PPI number is good enough.

JaggedSac

"Retina display" sounds a lot better than "PureMotion HD+". Everyone says retina display now and you won't see anyone calling other displays "PureMotion HD+ class display".

Very true, but their criticism, at least how it came across to me, was more along the lines of putting names to things that should not have names. I agree they should have went with PureMotion by itself though. Now they just need to come up with PureThin, and PureLite, to make the perfect phone. Although, apparently PureView in this one is a bit of a brand diminishment. Should have called it PureLight or something.

Totakeke

Oh no, don't you guys go forgiving The Verge for making PureMotion HD+ a marketing thing Nokia only does. Does it sound stupid? Yeah we all said that during the unveiling event. But the way they made it sound like it was the first time someone ever disguised an existing tech spec under another term for marketing.

Dock the name for sounding stupid sure, but instead it was like "we're smart that we didn't get fooled by those Nokia marketing terms". Pure bullshit.

Izuna

Banned
Went to Wimbledon EE stores. 4G demo wasn't working (lol) and one didn't know what the 920 or 8X was; the other, said it'll take a "few days".

Haha, I can't even get the 8X from their empty stores. I don't think EE or Nokia are very smart, I just see Note II all over the place and iPhone 5 posters.

I'm kinda leaning on the side that believes the verge blatantly trolls the MS Tribe crowd with their reviews. The GS3 camera scored higher than the Lumia 920 camera review. Durrrr.

What's funny is I find myself going back to Engadget more often these days.

JaggedSac

Oh no, don't you guys go forgiving The Verge for making PureMotion HD+ a marketing thing Nokia only does. Does it sound stupid? Yeah we all said that during the unveiling event. But they way they made it sound like it was the first time someone ever disguised an existing tech spec under another term for marketing.

Dock the name for sounding stupid sure, but instead it was like "we're smart that we didn't get fooled by those Nokia marketing terms". PureBullshit Verge+.

Fixed

venne

Very true, but their criticism, at least how it came across to me, was more along the lines of putting names to things that should not have names. I agree they should have went with PureMotion by itself though. Now they just need to come up with PureThin, and PureLite, to make the perfect phone. Although, apparently PureView in this one is a bit of a brand diminishment. Should have called it PureLight or something.

Nah, I think it fits the PureView moniker. The low light stuff is ridiculous and it should be tops for video. All Nokia needs is a bunch of attention whores to use them for mirror shots to show the difference.

920 OIS plus the 808 sensor would (will?) be tremendous.

Milchjon

Nah, I think it fits the PureView moniker. The low light stuff is ridiculous and it should be tops for video. All Nokia needs is a bunch of attention whores to use them for mirror shots to show the difference.

920 OIS plus the 808 sensor would (will?) be tremendous.

PureSensor Phone 8+

A bit far fetched, but I was just reading about the Rosenthal effect and it struck me that something similar seems to happen in some of these reviews.

venne

Almost exactly one year away.

Can't wait for that review.

Professional Photographers need only apply, trying too hard, etc. etc. etc.

It makes me sad that tabloid tech is more profitable and visible than true tech journalism. I suppose that's true for 'proper' journalism, too.

/sadface

Google nexus 4 scores a 8.3.. A premium phone that lacks LTE going into 2013 and scores higher than the Lumia 920.

Ahahaha... Verge.

it feels less fresh than something like the bold Lumia 920
though not a quantum lead forward (as Nokia's new Lumia 920 is).
After testing phones like the Lumia 920 it's nearly impossible to imagine myself sticking with slower speeds.

Scores higher than Lumia 920.

PG2G

I can't hate on the Nexus 4 too much. It is probably deserving of a higher score when you consider its price. Its off contract pricing is less than the Lumia 820, isn't it?

Google nexus 4 scores a 8.3.. A premium phone that lacks LTE going into 2013 and scores higher than the Lumia 920.

Ahahaha... Verge.

Scores higher than Lumia 920.

Not enough emotions for this.

iQPViviTJ9VnM.gif

iblF2d5Rcz7icb.gif

Mostly though:

ibn8T02ri3A04m.gif

How integrated Bing music and Xbox Music are?

Meaning, if I tag a music with Bing, would I be able to immediately play it or add to my music straight from there?

PG2G

How integrated Bing music and Xbox Music are?

Meaning, if I tag a music with Bing, would I be able to immediately play it or add to my music straight from there?

In WP 7.5, when it tagged a song there was a marketplace button that would take you to the song in the Marketplace. From there you could download it. I haven't read anything about this changing.

Totakeke

Nexus 4 had an ecosystem score of 9 though. And we know their weighting of the ecosystem is like 90%. So a 7.9 score for 920 is fair.

zorbsie

I've been playing around with my 920 since Tuesday. I have to say battery life is fine. I'm not watching movies while I'm at work but form 8am to 6:30pm it was still at 74%. I usually charge my phones over night. For me that's fine.

Also pics seem to vary depending on situation. I have just kept all the setting at auto. Low light images are great.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You sign into your account and it's automatically sync'ed. You sign into Windows 8 and it's all there.

Not only do I not have windows 8, I can't buy it because MS' payment system will not accept credit cards from the USVI, a huge glitch that their twitter account says they are "aware of and working on".

So, with that said, how do I sync my Zune pass songs to my 920 when I buy it?

Totakeke

Not only do I not have windows 8, I can't buy it because MS' payment system will not accept credit cards from the USVI, a huge glitch that their twitter account says they are "aware of and working on".

So, with that said, how do I sync my Zune pass songs to my 920 when I buy it?

You sign into your account and it's all there.

Edit: Basically that means you just have to use your phone with the same account and it's already there.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There is a Win7 client available.

So the client will pick up the Zune pass songs I have on my PC and sync them to my phone? Remember, these aren't DRM free songs and these aren't Xbox music songs, they are Zune pass DRM files that I've downloaded over the years I've owned the service.

Totakeke

Oh, I thought you were talking about Zune pass music you were still using with the service. Since they already stopped the "get a few songs" every month service, guess that's kind of hard to say.

Has anyone heard about how the transition of the Zune Pass with ten free songs a month will work? I'm scared I'll lose it when I start using Xbox Music D:

Totakeke

Hopefully they'll give you guys another $100 credit for a random screwup they will make for all your troubles getting the 920 so far.

PG2G

Has anyone heard about how the transition of the Zune Pass with ten free songs a month will work? I'm scared I'll lose it when I start using Xbox Music D:

It won't work in the Xbox Music app. You should be able to continue to use the Zune app to download the songs though

ermagerd that the verge review is so embarrassing. Fremdschaemen.

"The camera is actually fantastic, but people are used to over saturated pictures so the colors are a minus. also: nobody knows what image stabilisation does, so nobody curr"

JaggedSac

So the client will pick up the Zune pass songs I have on my PC and sync them to my phone? Remember, these aren't DRM free songs and these aren't Xbox music songs, they are Zune pass DRM files that I've downloaded over the years I've owned the service.

I ran into this when I tried playing my Zune Pass content in Xbox Music in Windows 8. I hadn't logged into the Zune client for a while so the rights had expired, XBox Music will not renew the expired rights to Zune Pass songs. Once I logged into the Zune client it refreshed the rights and when I went back into XBox Music, I was able to play them. That was just my experience, not sure if that is how it is for everyone or how that will work with WP8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom