• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

I ran into this when I tried playing my Zune Pass content in Xbox Music in Windows 8. I hadn't logged into the Zune client for a while so the rights had expired, XBox Music will not renew the expired rights to Zune Pass songs. Once I logged into the Zune client it refreshed the rights and when I went back into XBox Music, I was able to play them. That was just my experience, not sure if that is how it is for everyone or how that will work with WP8.

That's probably how it works. I sync'ed Zune Pass songs (that I didn't own) onto my Sansa Clip (amazingly it works, best hidden feature ever?), but I do have to refresh the license every two weeks or so.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Troll, any 8X impressions yet?

Also, have we heard if when you back your app settings with WP8 it also saves your game data??

Milchjon

I've been playing around with my 920 since Tuesday. I have to say battery life is fine. I'm not watching movies while I'm at work but form 8am to 6:30pm it was still at 74%. I usually charge my phones over night. For me that's fine.

Also pics seem to vary depending on situation. I have just kept all the setting at auto. Low light images are great.

That's great news for me.

Also, pics pls (Of the phone)

Troll

Banned
Troll, any 8X impressions yet?

Also, have we heard if when you back your app settings with WP8 it also saves your game data??

He really likes it. Relly really likes it. He lives over an hour away from me so it's not easy for me to get a hands on with work during the week. But it he was handed a 920, I honestly probably would have by now.

kharma45

Anyone heard anything much about the 8S? My gf seems to be quite taken by it and it's priced pretty decently over here at £230 or so SIM free.

Izuna

Banned
Phones 4U in Wimbledon says either tomorrow or (definitely) Tuesday. Free wireless charger too. They also have the 8X there.

My girlfriend says 920 is too big (not too heavy, just small Japanese hands) and says yellow is a little feminine. She loves to look of the pink Lumia 800.

Unfortunately they didn't have 820 or 8S for her. She's worried that AU won't let her use it in Japan. This gives Nokia and Fujitsu until Spring (when we go on holiday to Tokyo) to makes us a Japanese Lumia 920 or Fujitsu WP8 device. She has a 4S and thinks 5 is a silly upgrade.

For me... It's been a long ride, but I'll settle for Yellow. It's beautiful in person.

... Now to watch Skyfall a second time.

Milchjon

Phones 4U in Wimbledon says either tomorrow or (definitely) Tuesday. Free wireless charger too. They also have the 8X there.

My girlfriend says 920 is too big (not too heavy, just small Japanese hands) and says yellow is a little feminine. She loves to look of the pink Lumia 800.

Unfortunately they didn't have 820 or 8S for her. She's worried that AU won't let her use it in Japan. This gives Nokia and Fujitsu until Spring (when we go on holiday to Tokyo) to makes us a Japanese Lumia 920 or Fujitsu WP8 device. She has a 4S and thinks 5 is a silly upgrade.

For me... It's been a long ride, but I'll settle for Yellow. It's beautiful in person.

... Now to watch Skyfall a second time.

You've seen it?

I also feel the urge to say congratulations :lol

In WP 7.5, when it tagged a song there was a marketplace button that would take you to the song in the Marketplace. From there you could download it. I haven't read anything about this changing.

Great, that already would do for me if i switch from mog to xbox music.

Thank you!

Izuna

Banned
You've seen it?

I also feel the urge to say congratulations :lol

They had those demo things. I was referring to the glossy shell of it, even as a demo it looks nice.

I hope Nokia release Magenta and Cyan for their next upgrade, it's important for couples.

Can't wait 'til Tuesday! =)

odoRb.png
lololololololol
ATT Rumou:r http://www.wpcentral.com/att-nokia-lumia-920-coming-nov-9th-free-charge

Free Charge pad with every 920

Hope its true

That would be sweet.

Dammit, not in the top 20 in this thread. Actually, not even close.

Milchjon

I wish some websites would improve their support for WP IE.

Google is the obvious thing, they won't let me access stuff that's perfectly usable on my 5 year old iPod Touch. But they may have a reason at least.

What pissed me off today is finding out, after months of being redirected to a godawful WAP version of NFL.com, that there is a rather nice mobile version that seems to work nicely on IE. The thing is, even when entering m.nfl.com, I get redirected to wap.nfl.com. Only direct links to specific parts of the site, as for instance news stories, let me use it.

BULLSHIT

I wish some websites would improve their support for WP IE.

Google is the obvious thing, they won't let me access stuff that's perfectly usable on my 5 year old iPod Touch. But they may have a reason at least.

What pissed me off today is finding out, after months of being redirected to a godawful WAP version of NFL.com, that there is a rather nice mobile version that seems to work nicely on IE. The thing is, even when entering m.nfl.com, I get redirected to wap.nfl.com. Only direct links to specific parts of the site, as for instance news stories, let me use it.

BULLSHIT

Wait until 10% marketshare(tm)

At least devs are getting the message. I've seen sites going good all of a sudden...

I was trying to upgrade my wifes phone as she wants my L800. So I was speaking to a Vodafone UK rep online who informs me that they won't be stocking ANY WP8 until Jan next year. Unbelievable.

Dead

well not really...yet
Nice review of 920

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/review/2222115/nokia-lumia-920-review

Can someone quite the summary from it? It's not easy on WP7.

A great smartphone, ideal for business users thanks to its in-built security and Microsoft service integration features

Pros:

Great camera, security features, fast performance, crisp and bright screen

Cons:

Weight and size could put off some users

also re: the battery:

Testing the device streaming movies over Netflix on a Wi-Fi connection we found the 920 fell slightly short of Nokia's promised hours, with it generally puttering out at around seven to eight hours. With regular day-to-day use, periodically checking Facebook, listening to music and making the odd call, we found the 920 would just about last a full day off one charge.

Milchjon

also re: the battery:

Also interesting:

That said, Nokia has told us that the lower-than-reported battery life we recorded is due to a software issue on our pre-production review unit that has already been patched on retail copies, so we're going to have to reserve judgement for the moment.

And the summary:

Overall
Summing up, while the 920's weight and lack of apps may put off some consumer customers, its security and Microsoft service integration features make it one of the best devices currently available for business users. Add to this its amazing camera, 4G connectivity and speedy performance, and we really can't recommend the device highly enough.

Edit: Just a few paragraphs in yet:

The 920's unibody polycarbonate chassis can take plenty of wear and tear: dropping it on the pavement outside V3's office caused no damage, not even a scratch.
:-D

Commodore

Peeking my head in after a long night. Verge's 7.9 920 review seemed to basically say if you're fine with the size and weight, and happy with the app selection, the phone offers one of the best screens and best low light camera on the market. I'll definitely look forward to finally holding it in my hands, also good to hear about more than a few battery assessments, sounds like it'll do for a day. I'd love a smart phone that'll make it through two days on a charge, but with my use, I've yet to meet one that can do it and I doubt there will be one for a while still.

Concerning the launch, really really sucks we don't know all the details yet. Everything seems so last second by most of the carriers getting things ready, and considering the hype for a few of us, to corner down firm details on the very second phones are available, it looks like more than a few of us are are at the point of figuratively(perhaps literally) hitting our heads against a wall. I don't see the point of working myself up into a lather about it though. We know November is the month, let them figure out their launch and tell us when they're actually ready. Its never soon enough, and that's the damn reality.

Van:

Not only do I not have windows 8, I can't buy it because MS' payment system will not accept credit cards from the USVI, a huge glitch that their twitter account says they are "aware of and working on".

So, with that said, how do I sync my Zune pass songs to my 920 when I buy it?

Can't you just forgo software this time and simply drag and drop files? I swore I've read that somewhere but I'm too lazy/tired to track it down.

e: I'm in 8th in the thread. Windows 8. Windows Phone 8. 8 is so hot right now. 888! Means I'm the most thematically relevant to...winning? Right? RIGHT??

Not only do I not have windows 8, I can't buy it because MS' payment system will not accept credit cards from the USVI, a huge glitch that their twitter account says they are "aware of and working on".

So, with that said, how do I sync my Zune pass songs to my 920 when I buy it?

Not sure how it will work on Windows Phone 8 ... since well I don't have one yet. But if the Xbox Music on Windows Phone is the same as their Windows RT app, then all the Zune music will just show up for streaming. All the one I got when I briefly have the Zune all show up even the one I forgot about. There is an option to download the Zune Pass song in Windows 8 Xbox Music App, I am thinking it will just be the same for Windows Phone 8.

frontieruk

What can i say, its windows phone with more tiles, its quicker, flows more smoothly with new animations, you can turn on tap to send if Bluetooth is on.

audio is strong, no eq though not even HTCs old app.

any requests?

Izuna

Banned
Ugh, buzz kill.

My GF made a good point, the Surface doesn't have a Yellow Touch Cover.

But to be fair, having a Yellow Phone and Cyan Surface would look nice.

Maybe I can think about selling the Yellow Lumia for Cyan later. How much money do you think I'll lose?

51304.png

See that Galaxy S3 and One X at the bottom?

That's represents every Windows Phone 8 for now. :)

51306.png

The Galaxy S3 with the Mali400 GPU at the bottom? Yeah, that's the same GPU Nokia is going to use in their later models, when they switch to ST-Ericsson SoCs.

Milchjon

51304.png

See that Galaxy S3 and One X at the bottom?

That's represents every Windows Phone 8 for now. :)

51306.png

The Galaxy S3 with the Mali400 GPU at the bottom? Yeah, that's the same GPU Nokia is going to use in their later models, when they switch to ST-Ericsson SoCs.

You're scoring very high on my proprietary Buzzkill test.

Also, if I'm not playing 3D games, does this even affect me in any way?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What can i say, its windows phone with more tiles, its quicker, flows more smoothly with new animations, you can turn on tap to send if Bluetooth is on.

audio is strong, no eq though not even HTCs old app.

any requests?

How does the hardware feel, what colour did you get, camera impressions..

Does any one know why a phone would lock itself to flight mode? I have a HTC Mozart & it won't let me make any calls/texts etc. What is strange about it is, if I power down it works for about 10 minutes & then goes back into flight mode.

Does any one know why a phone would lock itself to flight mode? I have a HTC Mozart & it won't let me make any calls/texts etc. What is strange about it is, if I power down it works for about 10 minutes & then goes back into flight mode.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally turn on flight mode? Maybe the cell antenna is broken.

EDIT: I just discovered that I can fast forward and rewind music and video by holding on the previous/next buttons.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally turn on flight mode? Maybe the cell antenna is broken.

EDIT: I just discovered that I can fast forward and rewind music and video by holding on the previous/next buttons.

Nah, the slider won't stay off(& it now thinks it is the 29th of September, stupid fucking phone), I don't really want to factory reset it but I think it might be my only option.

Must try the Lumia in my hands. Most review say its heavy.

I just put 200 grams (I know lumia is 185) of rice in a plastic bag and hold it in my hands. It's actually not that heavy. And a phone is more comfortable to hold.

I tried the Lumia 920 earlier today. It's pretty heavy and bulky feeling. My hands aren't that big though so there's that. They aren't SMALL, just not big. Not sure why it's like that to begin with. Anyway it's pretty fast. What else is there to say? It's a windows phone. Just like the old ones, but faster. I like the materials it's made out of, dat polycarbonate.

edit: I read my post, I make it sound bigger than it is, it's not THAT big, it just FEELS kind of big. It's hard to explain.

I tried the Lumia 920 earlier today. It's pretty heavy and bulky feeling. My hands aren't that big though so there's that. They aren't SMALL, just not big. Not sure why it's like that to begin with. Anyway it's pretty fast. What else is there to say? It's a windows phone. Just like the old ones, but faster. I like the materials it's made out of, dat polycarbonate.

Is it uncomfortable heavy, or just heavy for a phone?

Is it uncomfortable heavy, or just heavy for a phone?
I edited my post. It's really not THAT big it just seems like it for some reason. Maybe it's just the shape of it. Has this heavy-ish/bulky-ish feeling.

It's not BAD though, but it's a thing. Once again, not the biggest hands here. It's thick though. Noticeably so. Maybe that's what makes it seem bigger than it is.

frontieruk

What about Zune pass songs you haven't purchased.

I don't know we never had that option here in the UK, we never got the 10 free songs (you know being in Europe we get screwed yaday yada yada) but the free offer songs I had downloaded appeared so I guess they tally as a purchase as you own them.

guessing you don't have an xbox/win8 PC to see if they appear in my music?

UraMallas

I'm going to pre-order the phone from Amazon.com when it comes up. I currently have Verizon but will be switching to AT&T. If I pre-order the phone from Amazon can I keep my same phone number I have now? How does something like that work? Will I keep my current phone going until I get the Lumia in the mail and then activate the Lumia through a phone number? I've never changed carriers with a phone I ordered over the internet before.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
This pumps me up about the 8x.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/htc-windows-phone-8x-144722

As soon as I saw the HTC Windows Phone 8X back in September, I knew. I tried to be pragmatic, talk myself into the possibility that the Nokia Lumia 920 was a viable competitor, but it’s not. Let me just be clear here: There is the HTC Windows Phone 8X, and then there is everything else. And this handset isn’t just better than the Windows Phone competition. It’s better than all smart phones. And it will be my day-to-day phone going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom