• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Not really worried about the size/weight of the 920. I mean, Im 6'5, and my hands though not huge, aren't small either. I dont think I will have a problem with it.

I see you in the Android thread. Which phone are you leaning towards?
I'm always in dilemma mode until the day I actually get my phone. I'm at like 10% going to the iphone 5, but after the 4S I want a break, so that's low. 80% sure on Nexus 4. 10% on windows phone just to try something new.

So yeah leaning toward Nex4. I just think windows phone seems a bit incomplete for me at this point. Notification centre + more apps and then I'll try it probably.

venne

Poor Nokia. I have a feeling the 8X will sell much better than the 920.

There is no reason why the 8X shouldn't sell more; it's available basically everywhere.

If it doesn't, HTC is screwed.

Can't hack it with Android, can't hack it with Windows Phone.

Maybe they can try Mozilla's mobile OS next.

As sexy as the 8X might be for you (not my cup of tea), are you all forgetting the (time) exclusive Nokia apps?

People were already calling bullshit on the 6 month exclusivity of the ESPN app. Can already feel your rage, when it comes to more important apps, especially with all the capabilities developers finally have on OS 8.

frontieruk

As sexy as the 8X might be for you (not my cup of tea), are you all forgetting the (time) exclusive Nokia apps?

People were already calling bullshit on the 6 month exclusivity of the ESPN app. Can already feel your rage, when it comes to more important apps, especially with all the capabilities developers finally have on OS 8.

tbh I care not for apps, only thing nokia has I was really interested in was the camera, but locking out early adopters by locking phones to a network is bs and Nokia needs to learn that shit doesn't fly over here unless you're apple who seem to do what ever they want.

ooooooooh last months data usage

1lFPc.png

lets see how next months holds up

This, 32 GB, the camera (well, this is less of a reason, given the comparisons--still awesome in low light and video, though), and the new fun tech to try out all push me to the 920.

cube444

I'm always in dilemma mode until the day I actually get my phone. I'm at like 10% going to the iphone 5, but after the 4S I want a break, so that's low. 80% sure on Nexus 4. 10% on windows phone just to try something new.

So yeah leaning toward Nex4. I just think windows phone seems a bit incomplete for me at this point. Notification centre + more apps and then I'll try it probably.

I like the fact that you're open minded about the whole thing. I too need a break from Apple so it'll either be Google or Windows for me. No LTE on the N4 was a big letdown for me though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The other phones will have the basic Nokia Drive so that's good. Plus a lot of the Nokia apps I can't even get in Canada anyways.

Cloud integration solves a lot of my 16GB issues as well. Can't believe I'm probably going to get the 8X either. If Rogers doesn't get a cyan 920 that will pretty much cement by decision.

I like the fact that you're open minded about the whole thing. I too need a break from Apple so it'll either be Google or Windows for me. No LTE on the N4 was a big letdown for me though.
indeed. If I wasn't with a carrier that was compatable with DC-HSPA+ (42.2mbps) I would not even consider the nex4. It's no LTE but it's a lot better than 3G so I know I'll be fine.

And yeah I pretty much have no biases when it comes to phones and tablets. They all have their different merits. I prefer some stuff more than others like anyone but I'm willing to try anything. It helps that I have yearly upgrades though, so I'm allowed to be experimental :p

Klocker

4.3" on my 900 is perfect.

no man I type on it all the time and I need the big type space and thumb room

I had a Titan for a while 4.7 and the messaging and emailing typing was so easy almost never missed a letter... on my FS I miss-type all the time.

I'm holdong out for an Ativ size device unless 4.5 920 does the trick

Commodore

Poor Nokia. I have a feeling the 8X will sell much better than the 920.

I just love the back and forth between the two, just having two viable options for Windows Phones feels good. For me, it's still 920. 8X can't overcome a better screen, 32 GB, and better camera according to my personal use needs.

aaaaaannnnndddddddd

An impromptu camera test pitting the 8X against an iPhone 5 on Tuesday was inconclusive: The shots were nearly identical, which I take as a good sign. But I’ll be doing a more detailed comparison of the cameras in the 8X, the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920. You can stay tuned for that, but it doesn’t matter. The 8X’s 8 megapixel camera is absolutely good enough for me, and when you combine it with the form factor advantages, the argument is simply moot. The 8x is the best overall Windows Phone 8 handset. And the best smart phone, period.

yep, "good enough" camera.

cube444

Brotkasten, I'm aware of that and I'd say 4.5 would be the absolute largest screen size for my preference. Love both phones.

Milchjon

Since I get too irrational about tech, feeling like I've done my part in trying to help Nokia survive is something that actually weighs into a potential decision about 920 vs 8X. I don't care much about HTC.

Apart from the fact that the 8X seems to be inferior in every single category except weight/thickness.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Songs from your Zune Pass subscription will show up in XBox Music.

I don't have Xbox music. I can't get windows 8. So I'm wondering if, on windows 7, I can sync my Zune pass DRM songs to a wp8 device using the new sync client.

Edit: sigh, between this and my twitter war with MS support, it feels like I'm speaking Vulcan.

Izuna

Banned
Apart from the fact that the 8X seems to be inferior in every single category except weight/thickness.

Basically this for me.

Personally, I can get HTC 8X instantly in any colour, for cheaper, and I'm used to it's shape more (since I have Omnia 7 since release); however, the sheer thought of doing good to the makers of my first phone, 3210/3310 during their hardest times, draws me to the 920.

Btw I have to express just how much better 8X is in your hands. 8S too. 920 takes sone getting used to (it's like a Note II, it feels wide).

To make my post complete, there was a huge (2 pages) feature and large ad for 8X, nothing fir Lumia 920. EE printed 920 as having 8 mega-pixel camera, nothing about OIS or pureview.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I can't import my google reader account into weave?

Also, the 920 would have to be straight up unwieldy for me to skip out on it. Better specs in everything aside from dimensions. Granted, that's important to many people.

Troll

Banned
So to everyone currently with 900s and the like, how is the polycarbonate? Do scratches show in it really easily if you don't use a cover? I like my devices without jackets on.

Raistlin

I kind of wish the 920 went with a 720p screen. Would be slightly less wide, and more importantly ... show a bit more data.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So to everyone currently with 900s and the like, how is the polycarbonate? Do scratches show in it really easily if you don't use a cover? I like my devices without jackets on.

I have had mine since launch (black) and I don't use a cover. No scratches and no chipping. I'm generally pretty careful though. I haven't dropped it onto a hard surface or put in the same pocket as keys.

Milchjon

11 months of 800 without any cover or even sleeve, zero scratches outside of the chrome that Nokia seems to have taken care of with the 920.

The matte finish seems to flake off on some edges, but it's barely noticeable (and I really hope Nokia did something about that.)

Edit: I also dropped it from about 3 feet dirctly onto a corner on marble floor. Slight dent, zero issues. It's REALLY sturdy.
Not to mention several other, lighter drops that left no trace.

thirty

Banned
920's video capabilities alone give it the edge over the 8X for me, not to mention the lack of a 32gb option for the 8X.

Commodore

So I can't import my google reader account into weave?

Also, the 920 would have to be straight up unwieldy for me to skip out on it. Better specs in everything aside from dimensions. Granted, that's important to many people.

I believe so, saw it. Go to the Sources pivot, hit the manage icon at the bottom, and then hit the plus icon to add a source. Then pivot to the import tab, should be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom