• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaaaaannnnndddddddd

yep, "good enough" camera.

I guess it's depends what you want from your phone for some people LTE is a non-factor because they don't have LTE service or 8gb storage is good enough because they don't feel the need to lug around all their pictures and music. For some weight and size is a deal breaker ... it used to be fore me, but after owning 900 for last 2 months and that gigantic Titan previously I have come to like a nice hefty phone if the benefit is a better camera especially low light setting. I find that I used my phone camera at dinner party, in door event family gathering, convention etc.

I have been looking for something to replace my iPad (my wife took possession of it), and come to conclusion that I really don't need a tablet. I look at Nexus 7 but most of my apps are on iPad, iPad mini sound good but pricey for low res display and then there's Surface that is about $100 over price and lacking in software. I love my laptop and I only need something I can read in bed so I figure something like 920 is perfect, screen is good, (900 is too small coming from Titan but 4.7 Titan was a little big for one hand use). 920 will be my Tablet/Phone replacement.

Milchjon

Conversely, the Lumia 920's outdoor performance is a true selling point. While the Lumia 900 was no slouch in outdoor performance, the Windows Phone 8 sequel boosts contrast, brightness and color composition, meaning photos and websites are noticeably clearer -- and games and apps are easier to pilot under bright lights. Nokia has also improved its ambient light sensor, and we found the screen not only adjusted faster to lighting changes, but noticeably cranked up both color and contrast settings to improve viewing depending on whatever environment we were in. While November isn't the best time to test a phone's screen against full sunlight, we had no problems with the screen outdoors or under harsh show floor spotlights. These winter months, however, did prove ideal for steering the Synaptics-powered capacitive screen while wearing gloves, and the phone performed just as well as it did when it was first unveiled. The surface even picks up nails and some pens -- something we had no fear of test ourselves thanks to the protection offered by a coating of Gorilla Glass.

Nice

Milchjon

Sadly, the way Engadget is describing the daylight performance is consistent with my experiences with the 800 where it seems perfectly focused in the viewfinder, only to go slightly blurry in the pics. It's weird.

Otherwise, seems like a very positive review.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
MobileSyrup has confirmed that the 8X will be launching with Bell on the 15th with LTE support. I really hope they have blue, from the sounds of it blue is the main colour for the device so I would be shocked if they didn't have blue.

Now to convince the wife to let me get it :)

cube444

At least you will be getting colour options. Rogers blows. unless there is some announcement coming, like Telus getting the 920 in exclusive colours is the reason they can't comment on other colours that makes sense.

I heard Bell will only get the 8X and ATIV S.

Milchjon

The one thing that confuses me in the Engadget review is the "limited ways to share your photos" bit. In WP7 there's the share function, and I'm not a heavy app user, but I still have like 30 options in there. I don't suppose they took that out in WP8.

Milchjon

Clicking through the 920 photo gallery on Engadget I don't see anything that would put me off. The daylight photos look good to great, the night photos look unparalleled and the videos look damn great.

Sadly, the way Engadget is describing the daylight performance is consistent with my experiences with the 800 where it seems perfectly focused in the viewfinder, only to go slightly blurry in the pics. It's weird.

Same. That's gotta just be a firmware issue though, right?

The one thing that confuses me in the Engadget review is the "limited ways to share your photos" bit. In WP7 there's the share function, and I'm not a heavy app user, but I still have like 30 options in there. I don't suppose they took that out in WP8.

Yeah, not sure what that was about. Pretty sure there is a pic where the sharing option list is huge. They did take out the "default Share to" option though, which sucks.

Microsoft really need to step it up with their Skydrive ... Google implementation of their cloud is light year ahead on Android. I think that was what she was talking about when it come to sharing, storing photo on the cloud.

UraMallas

How is the camera oriented on the back? Can I hold the phone in it's normal vertical position and the pictures will be wider than higher? I would like that, I think.

PG2G

Microsoft really need to step it up with their Skydrive ... Google implementation of their cloud is light year ahead on Android. I think that was what she was talking about when it come to sharing, storing photo on the cloud.

What does Google do that is so different? Just curious because I haven't used or read up on it too much.

giga

odoRb.png
How can you fault them? It's an impressive camera.

n4_cam19_verge_super_wide.jpg

Milchjon

How can you fault them? It's an impressive camera.

n4_cam19_verge_super_wide.jpg

That looks like the worst stuff my Lumia 800 without a gyroscope produces in panorama mode. My guess would be an incompetent user.

Edit:

n4_cam18_verge_super_wide.jpg

Wow, I was wong. They're just going for the art crowd.

Funny, they criticized the daylight performance of the camera, but looking at the galleries, other than a few cases i though the 920 pictures were the best of the bunch... There were some pictures were the colors do see too muted, but for me it was overall the clear winner.

The one thing that i didn't liked, was the constant white balancing switch when recording... That night video was completely incredible, though.

My hype for this phone gets higher by the minute, OMG XD

Milchjon

Those are photosphere pics no? Why would you compare those?

It's a highly touted new feature, and they're from a photo gallery in a review that says the camera is just as good as the 920's, at least as a score. It's mainly due to the context of those pics.

Also because they're pretty damn hilarious.

At the end of the Engadget video review they just had to ask for Android on it.

They did?

Raistlin

Am I the only one pissed about the lack of grey 920's on AT&T?

I have half a mind to order an unlocked grey international SKU, but it's kind of hard to convince myself it's worth losing LTE. That said, I think I'm gonna wait a bit to see how the T-Mobile 1900MHz conversion goes. Unfortunately that haven't published their schedule, but it sounds like they plan is to transition most of it within the next quarter or so. Giving up LTE is worth cutting my phone bill in half.

Given the clarity of the nighttime pics, I suspect this is a SW issue. They did a decent job improving the 900's picture capabilities via updates, so hopefully the same will hold true here.

Weirdly though, I have not really seen this complaint in other reviews that did in-depth comparisons.

zedge

I thought those were just panoramas, you can only view Photosphere pics on G+ afaik.

Those look like photosphere to me, very poorly done ones mind you. You can see three rows of pictures stitched together, panorama would be a single row stitched together.

But still. Not saying the 920 is not better cause I am sure it is.

frontieruk

ok windows rt winpho8 app works. not very useful but it works.

the desktop app is a bit swish, not Zune but efficient in a utilitarian way, i.e. too lazy to drag and drop but not bulky like Zune, just efficient.

just took some video of my degu being a lush, just about to have a look at it. looks very good on screen though

thirty

Banned
i'll probably go with the 8S. I really don't think a true large sensor wp8 pureview and the HTC zenith are too far off, maybe spring. the cheap 8S will more than likely hold me over. if att and others start giving away charging pads and xbox music subs it's gonna be hard to resist.

Izuna

Banned
I'm scared about Phones 4U not giving me an unlocked device. I know they keep saying Sim-Free will still be locked to EE but...

Well, I honestly wouldn't mind taking out a 12-month contract on their prices, but it seems not only did EE ninja-edit their prices (+£5 than a couple of days ago) but Phones 4U are refusing to sell 12-month contracts.

So... There's a possibility me compromising for Yellow won't happen on Tuesday. I hope I can pay £10 or something to unlock it.

frontieruk

hmmm the 30 second limit for ringtones has been lifted, and in the app it's a simple case of ticking the tracks you want and then click add when the phones connected :)

frontieruk

I'm scared about Phones 4U not giving me an unlocked device. I know they keep saying Sim-Free will still be locked to EE but...

Well, I honestly wouldn't mind taking out a 12-month contract on their prices, but it seems not only did EE ninja-edit their prices (+£5 than a couple of days ago) but Phones 4U are refusing to sell 12-month contracts.

So... There's a possibility me compromising for Yellow won't happen on Tuesday. I hope I can pay £10 or something to unlock it.

everything that Phones4U have been saying is the phone will be locked to EE, even the sim free handset.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
hmmm the 30 second limit for ringtones has been lifted, and in the app it's a simple case of ticking the tracks you want and then click add when the phones connected :)

Reminds me how damn convoluted making a custom ringtone on WP7.5 is. I have the theme from Drwgon Quesst on mine and creating it was an adventure.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
ok windows rt winpho8 app works. not very useful but it works.

the desktop app is a bit swish, not Zune but efficient in a utilitarian way, i.e. too lazy to drag and drop but not bulky like Zune, just efficient.

just took some video of my degu being a lush, just about to have a look at it. looks very good on screen though

I don't understand a single thing you've said here.

you can still do it that way (well just change the mp3 genre to ringtone then drag it into the ringtone folder)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=X_fncfLjlqY

video from the 8x under a 50w fluorescent bulb

Ok, you're drunk aren't you? That video is you stroking that hamster under the chin for a minute.

thirty

Banned

frontieruk

I don't understand a single thing you've said here.

OK was typing quickly but here's a VanMardigan break down

The Windows RT app running on surface is basically pointless, it will auto sync the music/pictures/video on your handset to the Surface and vice versa, it allows access to the Store and use provides quick access to find my phone.

The Desktop app is more fully fleshed but not as encompassing as zune, the app is a 3mb download which gives you access to these screens

y0QD3.png

Lup82.png

l0L0q.png

sC0ij.png

hqhGX.png

as you can see there's no wireless sync no option to play or view from within the app it's just a means to an end of syncing all or selected content to your handset when plugged in.

VanMardigan said:
Ok, you're drunk aren't you? That video is you stroking that hamster under the chin for a minute.

What else am I going to video at 1am in the morning???

frontieruk

yuck, the 8X has that same video focus issue my HD7 has where when it's focusing the zoom jumps in and out briefly. it's a minor thing but it annoys the F out of me.

*runs from HTC and into Nokia's arms*

the 800 and 900 both do it in certain situations too as did the 710, with the 920 being locked to EE I wasn't encouraging that sort of behaviour so can't test the 920... yet

but its basically adjusting to movement of the phone, to keep it as sharp as possible rather than have a blurred but consistent focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom