• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

It only lets you drill down to the album, not specific song?

one sec...

*swaps usb from the surface to laptop*

Yup, can't go any deeper, as I mentioned in the original post it's utilitarian not a complete solution, it does it's job.

you can of course just drag and drop you music on to the phone through windows explorer

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It only lets you drill down to the album, not specific song?

Also, will it pick up my Zune playlists? The press conference demo I saw showed it pulling in data from iTunes but I'll be damned if I have to use that piece of shit software to manage my music.

cube444

Not sure if posted but here's the Engadget 920 review:

Nokia arguably offered up the best hardware for the last iteration of Windows Phone. Does it repeat that success here? Yes, but it ties with the HTC 8X for that honor. The Lumia 920 feels substantially chunkier, despite having similar by-the-number dimensions, but it remains another glorious piece of hardware from Nokia. That large shell has afforded more space for the latest PureView camera, which delivers superb low-light performance and effective optical stabilization across stills and video. While these features worked as well as we'd hoped, well-lit shots lacked the clarity and detail we saw during earlier test sessions. Overall, results were a little too smoothed out (and many smartphones have a tendency to over-sharpen), and fell short of our expectations for Nokia's latest PureView phone.

All your incredible shots of that great night out will also be tinged by SkyDrive frustrations and limited ways to share them -- something that Microsoft's mobile OS is going to have to deal with if they really want to become the third choice in smartphone operating systems. Meanwhile, alongside its imaging advances, Nokia has pushed forward on its screen hardware, besting the outdoor visibility of the Lumia 900 and adding color and contrast tweaks from a new ambient light sensor -- this is all on a capacitive touchscreen you can now handle with gloves on. Nokia may crown it the most innovative smartphone, and alongside embedded wireless charging, there's plenty here to demonstrate that. But, for all that Windows Phone 8 does right (superb maps, zippy browser, simplicity), those holes in the app selection remain something that needs to be plugged.

zyDad.jpg

Link

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So your drunk ass did a search on Zune for cock and made a playlist for me?

Alright, I appreciate the response anyway. You have Zune pass, right? Can you download an album on Zune and then sync it on your 8x? Last request, honest.

At least for tonight.

frontieruk

So your drunk ass did a search on Zune for cock and made a playlist for me?

Alright, I appreciate the response anyway. You have Zune pass, right? Can you download an album on Zune and then sync it on your 8x? Last request, honest.

At least for tonight.

none of those songs in that playlist are owned by myself they are all Zune pass songs, as are the ticked albums on the sync side so yup they are compatible.

frontieruk

ok I've got to be up in 5hrs, so I'm calling it a night, obviously that means it'll be day light next time I view this page so anything you want testing, can you do x/y/z leave a msg and I'll try and oblige by tomorrow night.

Commodore

I don't know about you guys, but sitting here feeding my kid a bottle and reading frontieuk meticulously (rumored, drunkenly, but that's heresay) answer VanMardigan's questions (I actually have the same questions) has been not only entertaining but informative. :p

frontieruk

I don't know about you guys, but sitting here feeding my kid a bottle and reading frontieuk meticulously (rumored, drunkenly, but that's heresay) answer VanMardigan's questions (I actually have the same questions) has been not only entertaining but informative. :p

Sorry I have to ask is there a gaf conspiracy to eradicate the second r in my nick? Jintor misses it in his Lets play Xcom (if you're not following it do it's just starting to get dangerous).

but on a serious note any questions feel free to ask, I should complete my windows quadfecta with installing Windows 8 on my gaming rig so I'm completely invested in the ecosystem (god I feel like an apple fan boy, but don't feel superior just happy in my choices) so should be able to answer questions across the board.

Nite guys... btw Van it was a joke don't take it to heart ;)

hwalker84

OK was typing quickly but here's a VanMardigan break down

The Windows RT app running on surface is basically pointless, it will auto sync the music/pictures/video on your handset to the Surface and vice versa, it allows access to the Store and use provides quick access to find my phone.

The Desktop app is more fully fleshed but not as encompassing as zune, the app is a 3mb download which gives you access to these screens

y0QD3.png

Lup82.png

l0L0q.png

sC0ij.png

hqhGX.png

as you can see there's no wireless sync no option to play or view from within the app it's just a means to an end of syncing all or selected content to your handset when plugged in.

What else am I going to video at 1am in the morning???

App looks like shit compared to Zune.

Alright, you early owning douchebags. Why don't we see any of your WP8 Start screens in the latest Desktop/Phone screen thread? I KNOW you can take screenshots.

zorbsie

Will that app let you copy over podcast too? I didn't see a tab for that. Also how do you take screenshots with the 920?

Edit: Did a google search for the screen shots question.

wp_ss_20121103_0002pmq68.jpg

MCD

App looks like shit compared to Zune.

Zune was pretty but fuck using music players for syncing everything.

This is easy for newcomers plus it isn't even mandatory. Use the USB mass storage option if you want.

Win-win situation if you ask me.

Commodore

Sorry I have to ask is there a gaf conspiracy to eradicate the second r in my nick? Jintor misses it in his Lets play Xcom (if you're not following it do it's just starting to get dangerous).

but on a serious note any questions feel free to ask, I should complete my windows quadfecta with installing Windows 8 on my gaming rig so I'm completely invested in the ecosystem (god I feel like an apple fan boy, but don't feel superior just happy in my choices) so should be able to answer questions across the board.

Nite guys... btw Van it was a joke don't take it to heart ;)

I don't know if it's a conspiracy, but I do know I was typing with one hand.

Unrelated note, I really like the guy that headed up the start screen's...start screen. Really nice layout. More so the top third, from the music tile and up.

duGDa.png

Heretic

So for someone who knows nothing about towers, and bands and the such, what would the 920 need in order the be able to use it with T-Mobile?

So for someone who knows nothing about towers, and bands and the such, what would the 920 need in order the be able to use it with T-Mobile?
the lumia is pentaband isn't it? At least the rogers one is I believe. Pentaband means it would run on all carriers. Or is is it just pentaband LTE while you still need an hspa+ specific variant for t-mobile.

I have no clue.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
51304.png

See that Galaxy S3 and One X at the bottom?

That's represents every Windows Phone 8 for now. :)

51306.png

The Galaxy S3 with the Mali400 GPU at the bottom? Yeah, that's the same GPU Nokia is going to use in their later models, when they switch to ST-Ericsson SoCs.

No, you cannot possibly assume that the Nokia Lumia 920 will have the same scores as Android phones just because they share the same GPU, and the graphic is irrelevant in trying to convey any information regarding the quality of the 3D gaming experience WP8 users will have in relation to users of other mobile platforms with more powerful hardware.

First of all, that benchmark has no place in this thread as GL doesn't run on WP8. Microsoft has a thigh control over what APIs run on WP8. If you are developing a new 3D game for WP8, you use Direct 3D, the API that Microsoft has spent over a year optimizing for the current crop of WP8 GPUs. If you have an existing codebase on GL, you use an SDK such as Marmalade, which ends up mapping GL calls to Direct 3D.

Second, even though Android keeps getting better at allowing developers to get the most out of the hardware, it still has not reached the performance level of Microsoft's mobile platform. You can see evidence of this by looking at the quality of the 3D titles that ran on the ancient single core WP7 devices; plenty of them matched the graphical capabilities of what was possible with the Tegra 2 processor (dual core) on the Android platform.

Third, there is a high degree of hardware disparity in the Android user base, and developers still have to target the medium common denominator and not the most powerful hardware. The S4 is a step above the hardware that the majority of iPhone and Android users carry. WP8 is a fresh start and the S4 is it's lowest common denominator.

As a side note, while I was at //Build, I saw some impressive 3D real-time rendering demos running on WP8 prototype hardware (Lumia 920 betas from 6 months ago) displayed on the Havok and Marmalade booths. There is a lot of potential for 3D games on WP8 IMHO.

MarkusRJR

So how do WP7 apps look on the 920/8X? Please tell me they're rendered in a higher resolution ala Android and not upscaled and gross.

Izuna

Banned
Ew the Windows Phone app looks nasty. I much prefer Zune. I hope Xbox Music will let us sync from there.

So how do WP7 apps look on the 920/8X? Please tell me they're rendered in a higher resolution ala Android and not upscaled and gross.

AFAIK every WP7.5 App is automatically run under the new resolutions (720/768p) with no aspect ratio issues. So no "Retina makes everything look horrible" problem.

frontieruk

Ew the Windows Phone app looks nasty. I much prefer Zune. I hope Xbox Music will let us sync from there.

AFAIK every WP7.5 App is automatically run under the new resolutions (720/768p) with no aspect ratio issues. So no "Retina makes everything look horrible" problem.

Sorry to disappoint but on windows 7 zune won't recognise the windows 8 handset.

*note... those with large zune pass collections don't be surprised if the collection takes a while to work on your handset, it seems to have to update the license for winpho8 handsets so you'll see a load of sorry can't play this right now try later.

MarkusRJR

So I'm just going to post a few questions before I go looking for a Rogers 920 when they're available. I might have asked these questions before here or on another site but because I don't have a computer atm (I ordered a Surface but it isn't here yet) it'll take a millennia to find the answers again.

1. If I buy a Rogers 920 will the "Rogers" on the phone app change once I unlock it and put it on my carrier (Koodo)?

2. Are there any confirmed unlocking sites that work atm?

3. Is there still the scaping noise issues like on the 900 when it vibrated? The designs seem similar so it makes me a bit worried.

4. Are you able to turn off LTE and make it just use HSPA?

5. Does the new marketplace on WP8 support PayPal? They have PayPal support on the Windows 8 Store so it'd be stupid to not include it.

6. How do updates work for unlocked phones? Will I be waiting on Rogers for an update or will I be waiting for Koodo to get an update (which would never come)? Or does it work like iOS where everyone gets the updates at the same time?

Cj70

Will that app let you copy over podcast too?

I would also like to know how the syncing apps handle podcasts and the phones themselves. I know we have been screwed over in the UK before regarding podcasts (never got that podcast marketplace) so I'm keen to know how things have worked out this time.

Totakeke

Watching some of the build videos,

1. You can add payment options to the Wallet hub and the hub also functions as a payment processing center for the phone. Every purchase you make will let you choose a payment option which you've already added in the wallet hub which can include carrier billing, credit cards, microsoft account which you can load credits onto, paypal account etc. Don't think developers can extend the payment options though. The second page accumulates deals and other apps can send deals there. Groupon and Local Scout for example can show you deals and let you save to the wallet hub.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2012/2-020

2. Cross-windows platform games is only available to approved Xbox Live publishers so developers who are not can't make games that talk across the platforms.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2012/3-054

3. There's now no limit for push notifications on live tiles but you can turn things off with Data Sense.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2012/2-019

4. In case you missed it, location tracking apps can now run in the background.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2012/2-017

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
5. Does the new marketplace on WP8 support PayPal? They have PayPal support on the Windows 8 Store so it'd be stupid to not include it.
Yes. You can add your paypal account as a payment option in the Wallet application.

So with the new software how do you add album art to your music?

No way on the phone. You can use the Win 8 application for that and wait until things sync.

MarkusRJR

What happened to Sonic 4: Episode 2 for WP7? I can find the first episode easily enough, but the second one is no where to be found.

strata8

51304.png

See that Galaxy S3 and One X at the bottom?

That's represents every Windows Phone 8 for now. :)

51306.png

The Galaxy S3 with the Mali400 GPU at the bottom? Yeah, that's the same GPU Nokia is going to use in their later models, when they switch to ST-Ericsson SoCs.

I thought you were better than this, brot. Fill and triangle tests aren't representative of actual game performance:

51313.png

The new GPUs are all twice as fast, but we knew that already.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ok, no more secrets left (outside of specific device availability), so here are my biggest disappointments with Apollo:

-Worse sync experience. I remember one of the things I hated about Android was the lack of a good PC sync experience. I even downloaded 3rd party software to mimic the experience, and now WP8 takes a step backward by adding a new crappy sync software. Call me old school, but I prefer to manage my collection, podcasts, playlists, etc. on the PC and then sync it to the phone. I guess I can technically still manage my collection through Zune, but then I still have to work through that crap new sync client. I don't know how the sync client manages podcasts, specifically video podcasts, and removing them when you're done with it.

-Lack of a no-compromises hero device. The Lumia 920 is the closest thing, but its fat, heavy, and doesn't seem to have knockout daylight photo capabilities to match its incredible low-light performance. No SD slot sucks too, I've been saving a 32gb card for Apollo phones.

-No new stand-out software feature. Kids Corner is nice, so is rooms. Data sense is useful. But I wish there was a feature that stood out as much as hubs and live tiles stood out when I first saw Windows Phone.

-Tell Me was not significantly improved. With Siri and Google Now on the market, Tell Me seems significantly underwhelming. Now, I don't want to go around in a crowd talking to my phone, but I use tell me every single day in my car for texts. It's inaccurate, it doesn't do natural language, and it lacks functionality. Apollo barely improves it, and its a very important feature for me. I would like to tell it to start playing a specific podcast, to tell me the weather forecast, to play a specific playlist, to set a reminder, a calendar appointment, etc. while I'm on my commute.

PG2G

Tell Me was not significantly improved. With Siri and Google Now on the market, Tell Me seems significantly underwhelming. Now, I don't want to go around in a crowd talking to my phone, but I use tell me every single day in my car for texts. It's inaccurate, it doesn't do natural language, and it lacks functionality. Apollo barely improves it, and its a very important feature for me. I would like to tell it to start playing a specific podcast, to tell me the weather forecast, to play a specific playlist, to set a reminder, a calendar appointment, etc. while I'm on my commute.

I agree except for this one. Tell Me definitely could use some upgrades in terms of natural language and overall recognition, but I think making APIs available to developers is a major step forward. All of what you asked for is possible

Milchjon

Ok, no more secrets left (outside of specific device availability), so here are my biggest disappointments with Apollo:

-Worse sync experience. I remember one of the things I hated about Android was the lack of a good PC sync experience. I even downloaded 3rd party software to mimic the experience, and now WP8 takes a step backward by adding a new crappy sync software. Call me old school, but I prefer to manage my collection, podcasts, playlists, etc. on the PC and then sync it to the phone. I guess I can technically still manage my collection through Zune, but then I still have to work through that crap new sync client. I don't know how the sync client manages podcasts, specifically video podcasts, and removing them when you're done with it.

-Lack of a no-compromises hero device. The Lumia 920 is the closest thing, but its fat, heavy, and doesn't seem to have knockout daylight photo capabilities to match its incredible low-light performance. No SD slot sucks too, I've been saving a 32gb card for Apollo phones.

-No new stand-out software feature. Kids Corner is nice, so is rooms. Data sense is useful. But I wish there was a feature that stood out as much as hubs and live tiles stood out when I first saw Windows Phone.

-Tell Me was not significantly improved. With Siri and Google Now on the market, Tell Me seems significantly underwhelming. Now, I don't want to go around in a crowd talking to my phone, but I use tell me every single day in my car for texts. It's inaccurate, it doesn't do natural language, and it lacks functionality. Apollo barely improves it, and its a very important feature for me. I would like to tell it to start playing a specific podcast, to tell me the weather forecast, to play a specific playlist, to set a reminder, a calendar appointment, etc. while I'm on my commute.

I'll give you the others, but IMO the Lumia 920 is as close to a hero device as you can get these days. It has innovative, relevant improvements over other high end phones in several categories, all without significant tradeoffs (LTE, NFC, Battery life, etc.) apart from the weight. Everything I could hold against it is WP8's "fault".

But I guess others feel differently/care more about that weight thing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'll give you the others, but IMO the Lumia 920 is as close to a hero device as you can get these days. It has innovative, relevant improvements over other high end phones in several categories, all without significant tradeoffs (LTE, NFC, Battery life, etc.) apart from the weight. Everything I could hold against it is WP8's "fault".

But I guess others feel differently/care more about that weight thing.

If I could buy any phone in the world, right now, it would be the Lumia 920. That said, it's not just the dimensions on paper, which as brot pointed out is actually not that dissimilar from the 8X, but every review I've read says it FEELS bigger and fatter than it should given the dimensions. I know that's subjective, but it's pretty surprising that the phone just feels unwieldy and big, and that could be a big issue as you use the phone day-to-day.

I'll obviously have to hold it in my hand to be sure. It may not matter anyway for me, since depending on the off contract price, I may not buy it.

Izuna

Banned
If the Lumia 920 was less wide with a better front-facing camera (minus the heavy wireless charging) it's definitely be my Hero. However what we have is a device that compromises to give us unique features, such as wireless charging, that separates it from the other devices.

Personally I couldn't care less for wireless charging.

Milchjon

If the Lumia 920 was less wide with a better front-facing camera (minus the heavy wireless charging) it's definitely be my Hero. However what we have is a device that compromises to give us unique features, such as wireless charging, that separates it from the other devices.

Personally I couldn't care less for wireless charging.

Wait, weren't you hell bent on getting one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom