• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Wait, weren't you hell bent on getting one?

I am, there's no way I'm opting for 8X, but it's definitely not a Hero device. I think getting used to how wide it feels is worthwhile.

EDIT: Technically if it has everything I stated in my previous - minus wireless charging and amazing low-light performance, it would still be Hero.

EDIT2: So I think I should head off to Wimbledon now and see if Phones 4U have it in today. They said themselves it's a low chance but finger's crossed! My brother will pick up a black one too if it's available. I'm prepared to do a lot of 4S photo comparisons.

Tomcat

If I could buy any phone in the world, right now, it would be the Lumia 920. That said, it's not just the dimensions on paper, which as brot pointed out is actually not that dissimilar from the 8X, but every review I've read says it FEELS bigger and fatter than it should given the dimensions. I know that's subjective, but it's pretty surprising that the phone just feels unwieldy and big, and that could be a big issue as you use the phone day-to-day.

I'll obviously have to hold it in my hand to be sure. It may not matter anyway for me, since depending on the off contract price, I may not buy it.

dont let the reviews judge this for you. all reviews have to point some negatives and the weight is the easy target for an all around great phone. for some it may be a problem for others it wont. there is no ultimate phone. you have to do some compromises whether you buy a 920 or a iphone or a gs3 or whatever is out there.

Totakeke

Wait, why are we calling the wireless charging heavy?

They really should have kept and updated the Zune Software. Even if you don't care about the front of the dashboard for the Xbox Music app in Win8 being more of a music store than a music player, the navigation for your own music sucks for kb+mouse. Probably isn't that much better for Touch either.

Wait, why are we calling the wireless charging heavy?

Because the wireless charging coil is big.

L0kzk.png

I don't understand the hype over the 920 or HTC 8X when the Ativ S will have 32gbs internal and micro SD expandable. I understand the generic design of the Ativ but a phone without expandable memory in this day and age is a hype killer for me.

Totakeke

I don't understand the hype over the 920 or HTC 8X when the Ativ S will have 32gbs internal and micro SD expandable. I understand the generic design of the Ativ but a phone without expandable memory in this day and age is a hype killer for me.

Sounds like you understand perfectly why. If you don't understand why people don't care that much about expandable storage, for me because I don't find phones to be good music players anyway and I have no desire to watch shows or movies on them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

We all want everything, but picking a platform and a phone is all about what YOU prioritize. For you, it's the storage size. For someone else, the camera. Others, apps. Others, price. Others, design. Others, battery life. It's good to have choice as well.

Izuna

Banned

I'm an idiot, I drop my phone a lot, so I don't want a removeable battery. My Omnia 7 looks fine despite being dropped almost every day for nearly 2 years, but the battery keeps falling out. If the Ativ S looked like the Bond phone I choose that though.

Extra storage doesn't really matter to me. I am barely maxing out 8 on my phone. Our music is technically on the cloud anyway.

EDIT: Wimbledon Phones 4U don't have it. I suppose I have to wait until Tuesday.

Sounds like you understand perfectly why. If you don't understand why people don't care that much about expandable storage, for me because I don't find phones to be good music players anyway and I have no desire to watch shows or movies on them.

The Ativ beats the 8X in every way, it also has a better battery than the 920 (Which seems to be the second hype killer looking at these endurance tests) the 920 only has that Camera and the Nokia apps will apparently be available for all the other phones through the marketplace.

I dunno, the Ativ seems like the better phone outside of Nokia's new camera and yet I see no discussion of it. Is there something drastically wrong with it?

venne

The Ativ beats the 8X in every way, it also has a better battery than the 920 (Which seems to be the second hype killer looking at these endurance tests) the 920 only has that Camera and the Nokia apps will apparently be available for all the other phones through the marketplace.

I dunno, the Ativ seems like the better phone outside of Nokia's new camera and yet I see no discussion of it. Is there something drastically wrong with it?

Aesthetics.

Nokia and now HTC are making distinct devices.

Samsung design is simply boring in comparison.

Izuna

Banned
If someone wants the Ativ S, they should think about if they want Android or Windows Phone 8. I think that filters down a lot of why we choose to have Windows Phone 8 in the first place.

Aesthetics in and out.

Firestorm

Because 32GB is more than enough for me and we find Samsung's build quality is lacking. Not to mention the industrial design of a product I'm going to use constantly for the next 2 years is still important to me.

Firestorm

So I'm just going to post a few questions before I go looking for a Rogers 920 when they're available. I might have asked these questions before here or on another site but because I don't have a computer atm (I ordered a Surface but it isn't here yet) it'll take a millennia to find the answers again.

1. If I buy a Rogers 920 will the "Rogers" on the phone app change once I unlock it and put it on my carrier (Koodo)?

2. Are there any confirmed unlocking sites that work atm?

3. Is there still the scaping noise issues like on the 900 when it vibrated? The designs seem similar so it makes me a bit worried.

4. Are you able to turn off LTE and make it just use HSPA?

5. Does the new marketplace on WP8 support PayPal? They have PayPal support on the Windows 8 Store so it'd be stupid to not include it.

6. How do updates work for unlocked phones? Will I be waiting on Rogers for an update or will I be waiting for Koodo to get an update (which would never come)? Or does it work like iOS where everyone gets the updates at the same time?
1. Yes.
2. I am not sure, but apparently the Rogers Lumia 920 comes unlocked out of the box.

Dunno the rest aside from #6. I don't know if they're from Rogers but even if they are, Rogers seems to do updates pretty quickly. I got Tango pretty quickly on my unlocked Focus (but I'm also still on Rogers, I just unlocked for when I was in Europe / US).

Magni

The Innards are arguably better than the other devices, boring on the outside, sure. But on the inside it seems to have the upper hand in everything but Nokia's camera

The thing is, a phone is as much a fashion accessory as it is a consumer electronics gadget.

Nokia/HTC outside >>>>>>>> Samsung outside
Samsung inside > (debatabe) Nokia/HTC inside

cube444

We all want everything, but picking a platform and a phone is all about what YOU prioritize. For you, it's the storage size. For someone else, the camera. Others, apps. Others, price. Others, design. Others, battery life. It's good to have choice as well.

Well put.

Totakeke

Wait a minute. 920 should also have a better screen. It also has wireless charging whether you care about it or not. And it also has the synpatics touch screen which you can use with non-conductive surfaces.

So I guess Ativ has the better processor, sd card slot, better battery and larger screen?

Because 32GB is more than enough for me and we find Samsung's build quality is lacking. Not to mention the industrial design of a product I'm going to use constantly for the next 2 years is still important to me.

If there's a Lumia 822 with expandable memory, why isn't there a Lumia 922? Or have I missed some rumors?

PG2G

If there's a Lumia 822 with expandable memory, why isn't there a Lumia 922? Or have I missed some rumors?

The 822 isn't an 820 with expandable memory, it is just a Verizon exclusive 820. Every 820 variant has expandable memory.

I believe part of the reason for the lack of expandable memory and replaceable batteries on the 920 and 8X is the unibody design.

The 822 isn't an 820 with expandable memory, it is just a Verizon exclusive 820. Every 820 variant has expandable memory.

I believe part of the reason for the lack of expandable memory and replaceable batteries on the 920 and 8X is the unibisy design.

AH okay, the google search I had only put the 822 with an SD Card slot which looked weird to me and kinda scammy.

Still beats the everliving shit out of the HTC, which shouldn't happen given that HTC usually tries to atleast put expandable memory in their phones.

I'll give you the battery life, but why can't you accept that not everyone cares about expandable memory? I have a 16 GB Galaxy Nexus, with 13.33 GB total storage and and still 10.29 GB free. I stream my music from Spotify, I don't need to store my entire collection on my phone. Deal with it.

PG2G

Isn't Samsung the only one putting Micro SD in their flagship phones nowadays? HTC One X doesn't have it, the Nexus phones don't have it.

Everyone is sacrificing functionality in the name of design in order to better compete with Apple.

It's just nice to have space, Coming from the small broom closet that is the 8gb Omnia 7 makes me sad and the Pandora app on Windows Phone is buggy and drops out constantly. This round, fuck waiting for people to come out with competent music cloud apps for this OS, I'd rather store it all locally, thanks. Also catching up on TV Shows is another thing that sounds like a good idea. Maybe expanding my Kindle collection and making use of that bigger screen. Sounds good to me.

I'll give you the battery life, but why can't you accept that not everyone cares about expandable memory? I have a 16 GB Galaxy Nexus, with 13.33 GB total storage and and still 10.29 GB free. I stream my music from Spotify, I don't need to store my entire collection on my phone. Deal with it.

And Xbox Music offers a good solution for being able to stream your catalog/anything else, but some of us are not on legacy unlimited data plans, so streaming music for a couple hours a day isn't ideal.

SeanR1221

Yeah I'd be more than happy with 32gb on a 920. I use spotify. Speaking of spotify how does Xbox music measure up?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have been pretty happy with 16gb on my 900. I have no desire to watch movies or TV on my phone. That's what my big screen and surround sound system is for. I will put my favorite music on my phone and stream the rest via Xbox Music.

MarkusRJR

And Xbox Music offers a good solution for being able to stream your catalog/anything else, but some of us are not on legacy unlimited data plans, so streaming music for a couple hours a day isn't ideal.
Speaking of Xbox Music, can you download and store unlimited songs to your phone (for offline listening) ala the Zune Pass? And if so can you store them in a microsd card? I'm not sure how the Xbox Music DRM works.

I'm still deciding between the 920, 820, and 8S and if I can't locally store music on a microsd card I'm getting the 920 for sure.

PG2G

Gav

Picked up an 8X today. Love it already.

Couple of questions about XBox Music, if anyone can help.

Firstly, it has synced some of my music over XBox Music Cloud Collection. Not much of it though. How do i get the rest synced?

Secondly, when i try to play any of this music, it either gives me an error on " were having trouble playing this at the moment" or an error telling me it is unsure about being unsure about the rights.

Finally. On Windows 8, i can go through the music app and listen to whatever i want with the XBox Music Pass. Just streaming like Spotify. I cant seem to find this option on the phone?

EDIT: Ok, i found the option for listening through the store. But i get an 'unable to confirm media usage rights' error for any song i try to play.

frontieruk

I never get the I want to carry my whole collection with me mentality, once upon a time we were happy with a 90 minute cassette, you can't tell me you really need to carry near on 18 daysof back to back music to survive a couple of days of not changing what's on the device...

but if I don't have too... fair enough but it's not really a major thing in the scheme of things.

i really thought I was going to regret the 8x, but as a device it is stunning, call quality is clear music is vibrant if maybe a bit bass heavy, it's quick and feels so thin due to the tapered edges it scares me as it is in fact slightly thicker than the titan!

what do I think I'll miss on not being on a nokia? their app support, but I'll probably be going to a nokia in Spring when the quad cores hit hopefully they'll of learnt that this exclusive BS doesn't cut it in the UK else it'll be a HTC for me again unless Samsung steps up it's game.

Firstly, it has synced some of my music over XBox Music Cloud Collection. Not much of it though. How do i get the rest synced?

Secondly, when i try to play any of this music, it either gives me an error on " were having trouble playing this at the moment" or an error telling me it is unsure about being unsure about the rights.

Finally. On Windows 8, i can go through the music app and listen to whatever i want with the XBox Music Pass. Just streaming like Spotify. I cant seem to find this option on the phone?

The sync'd stuff is music it considers you own, or is on a playlist on xbox music, use zune to create a playlist and then sync it to the phone (better yet use the windows 8 music app and sync to the cloud)

could take upto 48hrs for the drm to sync up, personally I'd just search the store and re-add it

it's via the music store in the music tile, if you get an arrow with ))) after it it will generate a playlist of other artists that other people who have listened to that album have also listened too.

PG2G

I believe that the current version of Xbox Music Cloud Collection supports purchases you do through Zune/Xbox Music. The "matching" functionality has not been deployed yet.

Windows 8 has free ad-supported music streaming. Windows Phone (and Xbox) only work if you have a paid subscription. You have a paid Xbox Music Pass and it isn't working?

Gav

I believe that the current version of Xbox Music Cloud Collection supports purchases you do through Zune/Xbox Music. The "matching" functionality has not been deployed yet.

Windows 8 has free ad-supported music streaming. Windows Phone (and Xbox) only work if you have a paid subscription. You have a paid Xbox Music Pass and it isn't working?

Fair enough re the first point. Although the music that has synced/matched wasnt purchased through Zune/XBox music! Strange.

Im on the 30 day free trial. Only one song has played so far. Otherwise its been one of the two errors for everything else.

PG2G

Fair enough re the first point. Although the music that has synced/matched wasnt purchased through Zune/XBox music! Strange.

Im on the 30 day free trial. Only one song has played so far. Otherwise its been one of the two errors for everything else.

Oh, haha. Maybe im wrong. I wish they would go ahead and release this thing to everyone already. Its weird how it seems like its just trickling out

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
8X question. Are WP7.5 apps using the full screen? Also has anyone tested backing up games and if it retains your save?

Hmm... I've been thinking of making my mum join the smartphone camp. What's a good starter smartphone for her? I think she would probably be making light use of her data plan (she doesn't have any data on her cell now), but Skype and Facebook (neither signed up) could come in very handy for her.

What Windows Phone? (Preferably something that is free on contract)

frontieruk

Hmm... I've been thinking of making my mum join the smartphone camp. What's a good starter smartphone for her? I think she would probably be making light use of her data plan (she doesn't have any data on her cell now), but Skype and Facebook (neither signed up) could come in very handy for her.

What Windows Phone? (Preferably something that is free on contract)

900 is the most fleshed out handset, but the 820 being windows 8 may have a bit more life in it, skype will definitely be better on it/

MarkusRJR

So what phone is everyone here looking at getting? A bit curious what everyone is interested it.

Also, last page someone replied to me saying that Windows Phone 7 apps run at whatever resolution you Windows Phone 8 device is. Does that apply to games too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom