• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

venne

So what phone is everyone here looking at getting? A bit curious what everyone is interested it.

Also, last page someone replied to me saying that Windows Phone 7 apps run at whatever resolution you Windows Phone 8 device is. Does that apply to games too?

Getting my wife a white 920. It's the classy option. She's tempted by cyan, but worries she'll get tired of it.

I'll keep rocking my 2330 until someone blows me away with a smartphone or releases a small tablet with a stylus and LTE.

Samsung came really close with the Note 2, but Android and dat Samsung build quality kills it for me.

Gav

tried rebooting the phone?

you could also check your device management and account settings via xbox.com just to make sure everythings sync'd up their end.

I had rebooted it a number of times.

My phone was on the list on xbox.com so i deleted it, and could see it was gone, both on there and in the Windows 8 Music App.
Now i have no idea how to get it back on the list, as any time i try to play music now on the phone i get the error "we're having trouble playing this at the moment".

Edit: Got it back on the list but still getting the "we are having trouble" error.

frontieruk

I had rebooted it a number of times.

My phone was on the list on xbox.com so i deleted it, and could see it was gone, both on there and in the Windows 8 Music App.
Now i have no idea how to get it back on the list, as any time i try to play music now on the phone i get the error "we're having trouble playing this at the moment".

sync it with http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop

it add it back in, the service has started being a bit flaky for me, I wonder if more than the 20 top posters in here are trying to use it...

hwalker84

Held the dummy Lumia 920. Indistinguishable size and weight from the 900. Total non issue if you're fine with the size of the 900. I didn't like the yellow as much as I though. AT&T people think Friday.

maeh2k

Hmm... I've been thinking of making my mum join the smartphone camp. What's a good starter smartphone for her? I think she would probably be making light use of her data plan (she doesn't have any data on her cell now), but Skype and Facebook (neither signed up) could come in very handy for her.

What Windows Phone? (Preferably something that is free on contract)

Right now there aren't that many options yet. Most new devices don't come cheap. The best devices (HTC 8X, Lumia 920, Samsung Ativ S) probably aren't free on contract (depending on the contract).
The Lumia 820 is also rather expensive, but you should look into how much it would be on the specific contract. It's a bit cheaper than the other high-end devices and still really nice. It may note have the high resolution display or the best camera, but the other internals (CPU, GPU, RAM) are the same as in the high-end models. The exchangeable shells are really neat and it gets all the exclusive Nokia apps.
The HTC 8S is the only really affordable WP8 device for now. While slower than the more expensive phones, the hardware should still be fine for a great WP8 experience. There haven't been any reviews yet, but I think it'll definitely be a recommendable device for a starter smart phone. Doesn't have a front facing camera for Skype though. The back camera and voice should still work fine for Skype.
In the not too distant future the 8S will get competition from the Huawei W1 which seems to be similar in specs (and does have a front facing camera).
Other WP8 devices (such as lower-end Nokias will probably follow early next year).

For some people looking for a starter smart phone the old Windows Phone 7 devices can still be an option. Phones like the Lumia 800 can be found rather cheap and also offer all the Nokia location apps (and the hardware design is great). However the facebook and skype experience isn't as good as on the 8S. Facebook is slower whereas Skype loses most of its usefulness since it can't stay connected at all times.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So what phone is everyone here looking at getting? A bit curious what everyone is interested it.

Also, last page someone replied to me saying that Windows Phone 7 apps run at whatever resolution you Windows Phone 8 device is. Does that apply to games too?

Pretty sure I'm going to get an 8X with Bell in December unless Rogers 920 color selection changes.

Klocker

The Ativ beats the 8X in every way, it also has a better battery than the 920 (Which seems to be the second hype killer looking at these endurance tests) the 920 only has that Camera and the Nokia apps will apparently be available for all the other phones through the marketplace.

I dunno, the Ativ seems like the better phone outside of Nokia's new camera and yet I see no discussion of it. Is there something drastically wrong with it?

I am waiting or ATIV (unles hands on with 920 wows me) and with ATT promoting the ATIV tablets I am holding out hope the AtivS shows up there too this year.. by holidays

Izuna

Banned
*takes some photos in total darkness with his 900*

Wait a second, why is my desk evenly lit and relatively noise-free?

Oh you got the Nokia firmware update last time you connected it to your computer.

It makes your 900 use PureView Lite technology, which isn't as good as 920.

*cough*

Milchjon

Went to a store (just before it closed, sadly) to see if they already had the 920. The shop assistant was nice enough to get one out of the vault for me to try.

WHAT THE HELL IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT???

I have rather small hands, and I was expecting it to be bulky and heavy, but it's a very, very awesome, if substantial device. After everything I've read, I was pretty damn surprised by how great it felt. Definitely not too heavy for me. Sadly I only got to see a black one, but I liked its looks a lot.

Awesome, awesome device. Definitely want it even more now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
thurrott said:
Preliminary results are in on the 8X vs. Lumia 920 camera comparison. It's a toss-up. This was unexpected. I'll do more tests.

Yeah, I don't trust anything you say camera-related, Thurrott!!

SeanR1221

Wait, I just watched the Engadget review.

They say Spotify isn't on it, but that's a WP7 app. So if all WP7 apps work on WP8, what gives?

Gav

The only things that will stream in XBox music are the 30 second previews of songs which aren't on there.
Everything else gives me this same cannot play right now error. Has anyone else had this?

Milchjon

Apparently the BUILD 920 is an exclusive version that can use more bands from all over the world.

Lumia920Devs.jpg

frontieruk

Picked up a 8x and loving it so far! Anyone know how to add podcasts or skype? :)

depends where you are in the world with podcasts, if outside of USA you manually have to import them if in US you can do it from the store.

Skype isn't available for winphon8 yet.

*you could try setting your phone region to USA to see if podcasts get added to the store... the fiancee is using mine to chat to my mate atm so can't check

Went to a store (just before it closed, sadly) to see if they already had the 920. The shop assistant was nice enough to get one out of the vault for me to try.

I have rather small hands, and I was expecting it to be bulky and heavy, but it's a very, very awesome, if substantial device. After everything I've read, I was pretty damn surprised by how great it felt. Definitely not too heavy for me. Sadly I only got to see a black one, but I liked its looks a lot.

where did you go that already had one?! :0

Commodore

This post makes me feel good.

Black-Box

The only problem is because it isn't an iPhone

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How do your wife's low light capabilities stack up to the competition? Might be worth the trade off :p

:lol. I just need to make a convincing case. Having to buy out my old contract sucks, but u will also get ~$100 for my 900 at Bell. I will try to hold off until December.

First of all, you don't have a problem with the size and weight, because you're a MAN.

The other reason would be, because you're obviously biased and a rabid Microsoft fanboy. Now please leave Joshua Topolsky and Nilay Patel alone.

kn1ves24

Held the dummy Lumia 920. Indistinguishable size and weight from the 900. Total non issue if you're fine with the size of the 900. I didn't like the yellow as much as I though. AT&T people think Friday.

Sweet, that's good to hear. You are in the Pittsburgh region right? I'm in PA too

Cipherr

Ernct.gif

The silliness behind phone size has to stop. Everyone acting like a few meager measurements here or there turn a device from 'beautiful' to a freaking 20 pound block of concrete annoys me.

hwalker84

Ernct.gif

The silliness behind phone size has to stop. Everyone acting like a few meager measurements here or there turn a device from 'beautiful' to a freaking 20 pound block of concrete annoys me.

Yeah man its absurd. I picked it up and said to myself "WTF are people talking about?" I put my 900 up against it and it was literally the same size.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah man its absurd. I picked it up and said to myself "WTF are people talking about?" I put my 900 up against it and it was literally the same size.

Nice. I have no issue with the size of the 900.

Edit: Also for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/3/3594522/josh-late-night-jimmy-fallon-surface-lumia-nexus-ipad-mini-video

MS products look great compared to the competition other than the absurd background they chose to put on the Surface start screen. That person (Josh?) needs to be slapped.

That's generally the reaction if you've been talking about decimal millimeters for months as if it actually meant anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom