• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Is that the AT&T version or something? Or the Build conference one?

It's the build conference one.

The weight of this phone is a non issue for me. I carried my iPhone 5 around without a case, and adjusted to the weight of the 920 right away.

The Microsoft ecosystem, Zune Pass, Xbox 360, Windows 8, Windows Phone 7.

But my main concern was about Windows Phone 8's success. Say if Windows 8 is successful would some of that buzz shift to Windows Phone 8 and make that successful causing marketshare growth?

I'm loving that integration. Skydrive is great, and future apps will be able to sync data between the desktop and phone version. (ex: the dev of parcel tracker is working on a sync feature)

cube444

Wireless charging for HTC 8X?:

We’re currently reviewing the Windows Phone 8X by HTC and, until our full review is up –hint, soon– you can check out the unboxing just to get a feel for what you’ll find in the box. We’ve recently seen some Verizon training documents and today’s leak seems to bring confirmation of wireless charging on the 8X, something the Lumia 920 was considered to have as an advantage over the Taiwanese phone.

As you can see in the screenshot below, you will be able to charge this phone wirelessly with the help of a wireless charging pad which will be sold separately. The all-but-confirmed price tag will be $199 with a two-year contract but as far as availability is concerned there are mixed reports: some indicate November 8, others seem to believe the week of November 18-24 is the one to watch out for. Is this last bit of information decisive in making your decision to get the 8X?

Link

SeanR1221

The Microsoft ecosystem, Zune Pass, Xbox 360, Windows 8, Windows Phone 7.

But my main concern was about Windows Phone 8's success. Say if Windows 8 is successful would some of that buzz shift to Windows Phone 8 and make that successful causing marketshare growth?

Microsoft will always be in the mobile space no matter what. I think they're headed in the right direction to feed off of Windows 8 which all people will have when buying a computer from here on out.

Now their marketshare is a different story. I'd be happy with a very solid third place.

Izuna

Banned
Microsoft will always be in the mobile space no matter what. I think they're headed in the right direction to feed off of Windows 8 which all people will have when buying a computer from here on out.

Now their marketshare is a different story. I'd be happy with a very solid third place.

Well I think everything will be a huge boost as I expect. Walked into a Sony Centre a couple of days ago and everything had Windows 8 Startscreen on it with everything touch-compatible.

Once Windows RT takes off, Windows Phone 8 will get a great lift. The whole "there's no Apps" thing won't last by the time everyone upgrades next year I hope.

MarkusRJR

For anyone with a WP8 device already could you tell me how WP7 games look on the screen? I'm kind of horrified games with 2D art like Angry Birds or Plants vs Zombies will look disgusting upscaled, similarly to how 2D DS games look on the 3DS. I'm also kind of curious how 3D games look on it too, if possible.

I use my phone for portable gaming and I don't want my games to look like ass.

frontieruk

For anyone with a WP8 device already could you tell me how WP7 games look on the screen? I'm kind of horrified games with 2D art like Angry Birds or Plants vs Zombies will look disgusting upscaled, similarly to how 2D DS games look on the 3DS. I'm also kind of curious how 3D games look on it too, if possible.

I use my phone for portable gaming and I don't want my games to look like ass.

niNEb.jpg

lWNBw.jpg

iI24w.jpg

IsIPa.jpg

xfhET.jpg

cgQ1O.png

yo7OP.png

quoted for scale

quoted for scale

Looks like what happens to a DS game, huh? Still, with the effective apparent size around the same, it may or may not matter, depending on viewing distances and whether the game was already not running at native resolution (Hydro Thunder GO! seems to run in half res even on WP7)

frontieruk

Looks like what happens to a DS game, huh? Still, with the effective apparent size around the same, it may or may not matter, depending on viewing distances and whether the game was already not running at native resolution (Hydro Thunder GO! seems to run in half res even on WP7)

when viewed at full size then yes, it's not pretty but you have to remember you are still looking at 720p on a 4' display I don't think the images look to bad at the quoted size which is roughly the same size as the X8 screen on my laptop which is 1366x768, but then I don't really game that much on my device so downloaded those just to get the screens.

MarkusRJR

So my brother just offered me a brand new unlocked Rogers cyan Lumia 900 for $300 after I asked for his opinion on what WP8 device to get. I was planning to buy a 920/820/8X (mainly for more storage for music + larger screen) and he just told me he had a spare phone and offered it to me. He wants to get rid of it because he develops phone apps and is buying a 920 tomorrow aso he wouldn't mind some money to pay for it. Is this a good deal or no?

Are there any major flaws with the device apart from the fact it's stuck with 7.5/7.8? I might just buy it off him and use it until a second/third generation WP8 device I like comes out.

PG2G

So my brother just offered me a brand new unlocked Rogers cyan Lumia 900 for $300 after I asked for his opinion on what WP8 device to get. I was planning to buy a 920/820/8X (mainly for more storage for music + larger screen) and he just told me he had a spare phone and offered it to me. He wants to get rid of it because he develops phone apps and is buying a 920 tomorrow aso he wouldn't mind some money to pay for it. Is this a good deal or no?

Are there any major flaws with the device apart from the fact it's stuck with 7.5/7.8? I might just buy it off him and use it until a second/third generation WP8 device I like comes out.

Couldn't you get a low end 8.x for slightly more? How much does something like a 8S run off contract?

Raistlin

The Ativ beats the 8X in every way, it also has a better battery than the 920 (Which seems to be the second hype killer looking at these endurance tests) the 920 only has that Camera and the Nokia apps will apparently be available for all the other phones through the marketplace.

I dunno, the Ativ seems like the better phone outside of Nokia's new camera and yet I see no discussion of it. Is there something drastically wrong with it?

The Innards are arguably better than the other devices, boring on the outside, sure. But on the inside it seems to have the upper hand in everything but Nokia's camera

Obviously aesthetics play a part here. It's not simply that people prefer the 'prettier' phones, but the fact that Nokia and HTC offerings simply better match the Metro design language. I'd actually argue the ATIV looks better to me than Samsung's recent Android designs in a general sense, but it simply doesn't fit the design motif. This engenders some negative reactions to it (both consciously and subconsciously). It makes it feel like it was simply an Android phone with WP8 thrown on - not a ground-up offering for the new OS like the others.

Moreover there's also the question of build quality. While Samsung has nice tech, there's always lingering doubts regarding durability due to the materials and design. Many of there offerings simply feels lower quality and have real issues in terms of construction. While my Focus has taken a beating and still works, I did have to replace the chintzy back plate. After a drop the back plate flew off and the battery shot out. The second time it happened the plate would no longer snap on properly.

That said, you are incorrect in stating the camera is the only thing the 920 has going for it over the ATIV:

Inductive Charging - self explanatory

Screen - while the ATIV does have the advantage of blacks that essentially melt into the bezel (though 920's ClearBlack helps bring it closer than most LCD's), in all other metrics the screen tech of the 920 trounces what Samsung is offering.
  • 60 Hz refresh means smoother scrolling and less blur.
  • Synaptics touch tech means you can still scroll/tap without using your finger. Be it your nails, gloves, whatever.
  • Optically bonded screen
  • Combination of techs make this the best overall outdoor screen. ClearBlack uses polarization to reject glare ... it's one of the brightest smartphone screens when in High-luminescence mode (600 nits) ... Nokia custom software not only auto-adjusts brightness based on the ambient light sensor, but also contrast and even the CLUT (color look-up table). Combined, this yields great outdoor readability versus other phones.

Nokia Software - While yes, some of Nokia's software will be shared with other OEM's or at least only be timed exclusive ... that's not true of all. Stuff like Nokia Drive is still exclusive, and it is on another level versus other turn-by-turn solutions. Nokia's software and services expertise cannot be understated. It is an area they clearly differentiate themselves from competitors, and logically they'll only continue to offer more and more to further this divide.

Rich Recording - A combination of an incredibly high dynamic range mics and other technologies allow full range, low distortion recording. This allows audio from clubs, concerts, etc. to be recording without the clipping normally present in essentially all other phones.

Price - It appears the ATIV will be coming in at $200 on contact. The 920 is not only hitting at $150, but now appears to actually come with a charging pad to further sweeten the pot (at least in the US).

Raistlin

Held the dummy Lumia 920. Indistinguishable size and weight from the 900. Total non issue if you're fine with the size of the 900. I didn't like the yellow as much as I though. AT&T people think Friday.
That's great to hear. I have no issue with the 900.

even the CLUT (color look-up table).

Pretty sure all Windows Phone devices use at least 15-bit direct colour, with all the latest ones using 24/32-bit colour depth. Maybe it's more of a gamma ramp thing, but it's mostly the same idea - tweak the output image before it gets to the screen.

Raistlin

Pretty sure all Windows Phone devices use at least 15-bit direct colour, with all the latest ones using 24/32-bit colour depth. Maybe it's more of a gamma ramp thing, but it's mostly the same idea - tweak the output image before it gets to the screen.
You might be right about the gamma ... I was speculating on the actual mech for altering the color. Just pointing out they have some custom tech to improve readability in high light situations.

Thanks for confirming the 24/32-bit color depth. I had assumed WP8 was doing this but hadn't seen a confirmation. WP7's 15-bit dithering is pretty asstacular.

Nice. Too bad it's mono though.
While obviously stereo would be awesome, I'll take high quality mono over unusable clipped stereo.

Hey guys, if you have a Windows Phone 8 handset, could you check if WiFi shuts down when the phone is in stand-by? If so, is there a legit option to keep it on?

Commodore

BmGUk.jpg

Pretty happy to report WP8 is capable of having an app that has a live tile that displays battery percentage. Been wanting this for two years. via Tom Warren.

Link to app

e: That rich recording mono sample + dark video capture looks fantastic. Very pleased right now. I WANT THE PHONE NOW.

frontieruk

Random_sigh.gif

Has any of these tech blogs ever asked Microsoft what their reason is to not include an OPTION to turn that shit off?

I may be mistaken, but I've watched the wifi restart when I've woken then phone up, that's not saying it doesn't use wifi when its asleep just seems odd they'd restart the connection rather than keep it live.

Commodore

That's Tom Warren's homescreen? Jesus it's an ugly mess.

Heh, dude likes an efficient home screen. Ugly, but useful. He tweeted last night that he was really pleased with WP8, says its possible to finally use it as his daily driver. WP8/7.8 at least gives us a more versatile home screen, to be ugly or useful, or visually more appealing. Its all good, looking forward to mapping out my personal screen,

I may be mistaken, but I've watched the wifi restart when I've woken then phone up, that's not saying it doesn't use wifi when its asleep just seems odd they'd restart the connection rather than keep it live.

It is odd. Even if your phone is in standby and you glance at your lockscreen, the WiFi will restart. I don't know if Phone 8 uses the same alorithm for restarting WiFi and Windows 8 does, but restarting wifi should take around 1 second in Windows 8.

That said, It's still weird that there is no option to keep it alive.

Cj70

Anyone able to check what goes in the 'PodcastSeries' folder on Windows Phone 8 devices when you subscribe to a podcast? Wondering if it's possible to add them manually as the folder is there when you plug your phone into the PC but just sticking mp3 files in there doesn't work.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'm stuck with Rogers for now. It will be too expensive to get out of my contract unfortunately. So if I really want a new phone I will have to do the early upgrade.

Cj70

So if you download a track off of Xbox Music on your phone then share by email it attaches and emails the wma file.

Don't remember wp7 doing that...

Edit: Friend gets a usage rights error when he tries to open them =/

giga

So bratwurst…I'm contemplating getting a Nexus 4. Tell me you've found a reeder and tweetbot alternative?

MCD

I was able to add my Visa plus Paypal to Windows 8 store and account.

Were Xbox and Windows Phone just broken and bitchy when it comes to accepting credit cards?

giga

I needed a thread where he's active. Plus, you could use the info too since you're also contemplating switching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom