• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
It's people like unknown soldier who are absolutely shitty ambassadors for the platforms. Such fanboyish bullshit every time they open their mouths. I feel like not buying an N4 just so I don't have any links to such stupidity.
Not calling anyone out, but in my experience Android fans have been more obnoxious than they claim iOS fans to be.

frontieruk

It's people like unknown soldier who are absolutely shitty ambassadors for the platforms. Such fanboyish bullshit every time they open their mouths. I feel like not buying an N4 just so I don't have any links to such stupidity.

I don't know, he's A LOT better than he used to be, and most of what he said is true, but making claims as if they are gospel is a bit grating but hey I'm sure we've all done stupid shit in our time.

Not calling anyone out, but in my experience Android fans have been more obnoxious than they claim iOS fans to be.

Bad MS fans are the same. Look at a lot of the comments on Verge articles. There is no excuse for some of the comments and complexes that some commenters publish. That being said, I <3 my fellow fans. I was a deep admirer of the design language before I was even committed to CS as a profession. Would have almost been a music journalist, had I decided to pursue an internship at the Houston Chronicle that was offered to me.

it's weird watching the community move to Android :(

that's what i said a few years ago. it was just before WP7's release and i had a WM6 handset and was watching XDA convert at an amazing pace from Windows Mobile to Android.

What's so weird about it? Even The iVerge admits that today's Android is the most advanced mobile operating system you can get. If you haven't used Android since before ICS, you really haven't used Android in forever.
even iVerge was forced to lean back </fatjoe>

Erm lets see... £75 for 2 Win pro 8 licenses (one DL, one DVD upgrade), £479 for a surface with touch cover and £379 on a 8x whats that add up too?

£933 or $1494 us am I invested in a platform or not?? as I don't seem to of purchased any apps :-S

sounds like yo invested £379 into the platform to me. maybe i'm bad at math...

xJavonta

Banned
Hahaha forgot about that video. It's actually kind of true though lol.

Bad MS fans are the same. Look at a lot of the comments on Verge articles. There is no excuse for some of the comments and complexes that some commenters publish. That being said, I <3 my fellow fans. I was a deep admirer of the design language before I was even committed to CS as a profession. Would have almost been a music journalist, had I decided to pursue an internship at the Houston Chronicle that was offered to me.
True. Fanboys in general are just terrible. I tend to stay away from the comments section on websites and especially tech blogs. Forums like NeoGAF and Overclock.net are the closest I'll get to active discussion with random people on the internet.

frontieruk

that's what i said a few years ago. it was just before WP7's release and i had a WM6 handset and was watching XDA convert at an amazing pace from Windows Mobile to Android.

MS really dropped the ball, I'm wondering if the enterprise powerplay they are taking with Win8 devices is going to show any signs of life for the mobile platform, I know my company is looking at win8 Pro tablets as RT doesn't seem to offer what they want (personally I think the guys looking at it aren't looking at how to configure them, they just want AD control) and instructions how to add the works email to windows phone just went up recently...

frontieruk

The Faceless Master said:
sounds like yo invested £379 into the platform to me. maybe i'm bad at math...

so my music doesn't sync across all devices via my xbox account? my documents don't sync across all my devices? my photos aren't accessible on all of them either? yes there are other services to achieve that but the way it's done across windows 8 platforms is just easier and well implemented thus I invested into the windows platform which I believe has a common code base now right?

so my music doesn't sync across all devices via my xbox account? my documents don't sync across all my devices? my photos aren't accessible on all of them either? yes there are other services to achieve that but the way it's done across windows 8 platforms is just easier and well implemented thus I invested into the windows platform which I believe has a common code base now right?
bold words.

Razdek

Banned
We all know why WM6 people move to Android is because they love their shitty UI.

Don't hurt me.

I think it's more about getting the shaft from MS for no upgrade path. WM 6.5 users were ditched for WP7 and now WP7 is getting ditched for WP8. Plus restricting the OS and taking away functionality that users had of course they'll move onto something more similar.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Texts no but I'd think Facebook chats would be in sync.

Yup those sync, along with windows messenger.

Took a few more pics with my 920. What do you guys think?

oaYjp.jpg

zJq2I.jpg

qNFNB.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'd have to work really hard to get my Focus S to take shots like that. Camera goes crazy with too much sunlight and the sky just ends up going all white, or the shadows get crushed.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yup those sync, along with windows messenger.

Took a few more pics with my 920. What do you guys think?

I think they look pretty good for a Cellphone. Looks like they could use a bit of a curve adjust to raise raise the contrast a bit but other than that, great shadow performance!

Quick curve adjust in Photoshop and Smart Sharpening applied...

What I like about those Nokia files is just how unobtrusive (or nonexistent) the post processing in camera is in regards to sharpening. I'd rather have a slightly soft image instead of an oversharpened one (from the camera).

frontieruk

frontieruk said:

bolded words.

Erm lets see... £75 for 2 Win pro 8 licenses (one DL, one DVD upgrade), £479 for a surface with touch cover and £379 on a 8x whats that add up too?

£933 or $1494 us am I invested in a platform or not?? as I don't seem to of purchased any apps :-S

I only consider apps because it's easy to replace hardware. It's apps which really lock you into an ecosystem, once you've found an app that's a must-have for you that no other platform has, well then that's when they own you. Hardware on the other hand, you can just throw it in the garbage and buy something else.

Anyways, in your case. I don't know precisely why you bought a Surface but it's less than 30 days since it launched, so you could return it. Same with the 8X. Buying desktop Windows 8 has little to do with the Surface RT and 8X, which can't run x86 apps, so I don't regard buying Windows as any kind of investment in whatever 'ecosystem' MS is trying to create by putting the Metro UI everywhere. So really what I see here is that you haven't invested anything at all yet since you are within the return period and you bought Windows 8, whoopty doo so did I though I'm not planning on installing it on my laptop anytime soon.

"these days no one even talks about iOS anymore compared to Windows" ? Sorry I followed every and agreed with everything up to this and then got lost :( it's late, these guys had me up late Friday answering questions and I've not caught up :( (cry me a river I know)

Oh, I failed to replace one word in my copy-paste job. Gimme a break Frontie, you should be glad I have Medpacs for you and I can remember how to use them when you need one!

But why you gotta be so mad? There's nothing that was non-factual about what I said. If you don't like the tone, that's not my problem. Concern yourself only with the facts and you wouldn't be so mad all the time.

That's actually a sequel to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhjDX-DUew&feature=youtu.be

I can't wait for the Windows Phone one.

Razdek

Banned

I think that Nokia fans are getting to be pretty bad lately. Whenever one criticizes the camera for not being as good as advertised they go off on a tangent defending it like crazy but Nokia does have a lot to lose if this doesn't work out so I can see why.

hwalker84

I think that Nokia fans are getting to be pretty bad lately. Whenever one criticizes the camera for not being as good as advertised they go off on a tangent defending it like crazy but Nokia does have a lot to lose if this doesn't work out so I can see why.
We've been through so much because everytime we think we'll get a release date we let down.

Also the people in the countries which are able to get the phone are having problems because they where unprepared.

Basically we're extremely loyal and bitter at the same time.

Totakeke

Here? I'm not sure how it can be not as good as advertised when they haven't even been advertising it much after the launch apology fiasco.

frontieruk

I only consider apps because it's easy to replace hardware. It's apps which really lock you into an ecosystem, once you've found an app that's a must-have for you that no other platform has, well then that's when they own you. Hardware on the other hand, you can just throw it in the garbage and buy something else.

Anyways, in your case. I don't know precisely why you bought a Surface but it's less than 30 days since it launched, so you could return it. Same with the 8X. Buying desktop Windows 8 has little to do with the Surface RT and 8X, which can't run x86 apps, so I don't regard buying Windows as any kind of investment in whatever 'ecosystem' MS is trying to create by putting the Metro UI everywhere. So really what I see here is that you haven't invested anything at all yet since you are within the return period and you bought Windows 8, whoopty doo so did I though I'm not planning on installing it on my laptop anytime soon.

See that's where you and I differ, you must of missed the whole list of android devices I own plus the iPad which I've not mentioned, so I have a big investment in apps, but no where near the cost of the hardware to run it on, a collection of $0.99 apps though the cost adds up, nothing is irreplaceable on another platform something I've already mentioned in my choice of Windows, you say RT will fail as it won't run x86 only metro apps, I see it being successful due to that ease of access is the name of the game and the MS store is visible on all the windows 8 devices, and part of being in that store is being RT compliant so expect the support to grow as people upgrade PC hardware you know like the android market grew when devices started selling to the mainstream not just geeks who wanted a open toy.

Unknown Soldier said:
Oh, I failed to replace one word in my copy-paste job. Gimme a break Frontie, you should be glad I have Medpacs for you and I can remember how to use them when you need one!

Why is it when faceless turns up you act up? I was asking a serious question did you mean android instead of windows? That quote really gave me no clues which is why I asked. :-(

Unknown Soldier said:
But why you gotta be so mad? There's nothing that was non-factual about what I said. If you don't like the tone, that's not my problem. Concern yourself only with the facts and you wouldn't be so mad all the time.

Most advanced OS is a bit subjective tbh its not fact its your opinion, most flexible doesn't make it the most advanced.

That's actually a sequel to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhjDX-DUew&feature=youtu.be

I can't wait for the Windows Phone one.[/QUOTE]

That's easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee925OTFBCA

Razdek

Banned
Here? I'm not sure how it can be not as good as advertised when they haven't even been advertising it much after the launch apology fiasco.

No not here, it's mostly at the tech sites and the windows phone sites where any criticism s towards the camera or weight is automatically labelled as bias or unfair. Even when comparing photos between the iPhone 5, lumia 920 and others the difference in daylight photos are negligible but low light is more apparent.

I'm looking to get a lumia 920 myself but I'm not going in expecting it to be the perfect phone and I think the knock against it regarding weight, size, and camera quality is justifiable. When you compare the best of the best there's advantages and disadvantages to each phone.

xJavonta

Banned
Ugh, the time to choose a new carrier is coming soon and AT&T is probably going to be our choice. However the new Nokia phones STILL aren't here, which means I'll probably end up getting an iPhone...

hwalker84

Ugh, the time to choose a new carrier is coming soon and AT&T is probably going to be our choice. However the new Nokia phones STILL aren't here, which means I'll probably end up getting an iPhone...
Hopefully we'll get something this week. Local AT&T store is telling me its got to be this Friday. I mean they have dummy phones in the store.

See that's where you and I differ, you must of missed the whole list of android devices I own plus the iPad which I've not mentioned, so I have a big investment in apps, but no where near the cost of the hardware to run it on, a collection of $0.99 apps though the cost adds up, nothing is irreplaceable on another platform something I've already mentioned in my choice of Windows, you say RT will fail as it won't run x86 only metro apps, I see it being successful due to that ease of access is the name of the game and the MS store is visible on all the windows 8 devices, and part of being in that store is being RT compliant so expect the support to grow as people upgrade PC hardware you know like the android market grew when devices started selling to the mainstream not just geeks who wanted a open toy.

I learned many years ago to buy products on what they offer now, not what they may offer someday down the road. It's a hard lesson to learn, and if you had to deal with the days when Android really wasn't good, it's understandable that you don't want to go back. But you should know that Android and iOS took a very long road to get where they are today. I wish you luck with your scenario. Seriously. Because MS is now so late that they made Palm and webOS look fashionably on time to the party.

Why is it when faceless turns up you act up? I was asking a serious question did you mean android instead of windows? That quote really gave me no clues which is why I asked. :-(

Don't get mad too, you're better than Madmartigan. My answer was a serious one, go read it again. Like I said, I did mean Android in the last sentence, it was a bad replace job on my copy-pasta.

Most advanced OS is a bit subjective tbh its not fact its your opinion, most flexible doesn't make it the most advanced.

True multitasking with all apps running simultaneously on demand.
Ability to define which app is default for everything.
Can share anything with any app at any time from any other app.
Choice of stock browser, Chrome, Firefox, and several others. All of which let you have more than 6 tabs at once!
Widgets are more powerful and flexible than Live Tiles.
Can replace stock app launcher with anything you want.

Say what you will about the UI, it's hard to argue that Android isn't objectively the most advanced smartphone OS. You can try, but it's unlikely you will succeed. Android has been evolving an order of magnitude faster than iOS and Windows Phone have and that's not even counting the development work that the Android OEMs are doing on their own. I mean, there's an Android device where you can do this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43954461&postcount=854

Show me the iPhone or Windows Phone where you can do that!

D'awwww. You know I love you Frontie. I wouldn't ever purposely not heal you during a fight with X-Rays, you know that right?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Why can't you just stay in the Android thread then and enjoy you most advanced smartphone over there. You have no interest in the WP platform and most likely never will so why do you come in here. That goes for anyone who just comes in here to pimp Android and slag WP.

I thought I was going to finally be able to upgrade from my ole Trophy 7 to the Lumina 922....NOPE! No 922 anywhere in site. Yes, yes, I know everyone says to get the 8X but meh...

If you have waited this long, what's another five days?

If I do get an upgrade...it wont be till the week of Thanksgiving or around mid-December. Hoping the 922 shows its face by then.

Also, the buzz about a quad-core phone in testing is making think I should wait. I mean, I already have a Nokia 7.8 rom running on my phone. I just hate the camera on this thing lol

cube444

Why can't you just stay in the Android thread then and enjoy you most advanced smartphone over there. You have no interest in the WP platform and most likely never will so why do you come in here. That goes for anyone who just comes in here to pimp Android and slag WP.

I agree and this should hold true for any fanboy/lover of one OS going into a rival one and doing the same thing.

cube444

If I do get an upgrade...it wont be till the week of Thanksgiving or around mid-December. Hoping the 922 shows its face by then.

Also, the buzz about a quad-core phone in testing is making think I should wait. I mean, I already have a Nokia 7.8 rom running on my phone. I just hate the camera on this thing lol

Do you have any links to this?

PG2G

don't pull me into this!

http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-boasting-weight-8x-compared-other-windows-phone
htclighterpennies.jpeg

"Don’t get weighed down. The HTC 8X is more than 20 pennies lighter than that 'other' Windows Phone."
dayum

High Tech Computer Corporation

Yet another Lumia 920 review:

Link

Nice!

In my tests, I was able to squeeze two full days out of the Lumia 920 on more than one occasion. This was with minimal calls and texts and an emphasis on app and web use. However, you’re easily going to get a full day out of this device with sustained use.

All of my initial fears (size, battery, camera) have basically been put to rest. GIVE ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom