• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone with an actual windows 8 phone, you must answer me this: does the time/notifications on the lock screen appear instantly, like they used to, or fade in like they do now for no god damn good reason?

Razdek

Banned
Any news on led notifications for missed phone calls/voice mails/text messages or other notifications? Hated that o actually have to wake up the phone to see if there are any pending notifications.

PG2G

So if you download a track off of Xbox Music on your phone then share by email it attaches and emails the wma file.

Don't remember wp7 doing that...

Edit: Friend gets a usage rights error when he tries to open them =/

Does your friend have an Xbox Music Pass?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Android does nothing for me. One X is the only appealing looking hardware for me. The Nexus 4 is not a good looking phone, it is cheap though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Android does nothing for me. One X is the only appealing looking hardware for me. The Nexus 4 is not a good looking phone, it is cheap though.

Cheap and powerful is the key. I'm still holding out hope that the 920 will NOT be $650 off-contract, because I am not willing to pay that. And since I doubt my Focus S will get 7.8, or that I would even be satisfied with that update, I'm considering the N4.

IF I get the N4 (not guaranteed), I'll be back. In other words, I'll be pulling a brotkasten, not a brettison. :)

giga

it's weird watching the community move to Android :(
$300 is really hard to pass up for top of the line specs. (I'm a huge spec whore.) I was going to get the iPhone 5, but it's twice the price and the bastards won't let me buy it unlocked so they're forcing my hand…

kharma45

$300 is really hard to pass up for top of the line specs. (I'm a huge spec whore.) I was going to get the iPhone 5, but it's twice the price and the bastards won't let me buy it unlocked so they're forcing my hand…

Yep the specs are incredible for the price, and Jelly Bean is a pretty nice iteration of Android to use all things being said. It's no Windows Phone but it's a shit ton better than the 2.x versions.

frontieruk

Yep the specs are incredible for the price, and Jelly Bean is a pretty nice iteration of Android to use all things being said. It's no Windows Phone but it's a shit ton better than the 2.x versions.

thus android is the windows of the mobile world, not the best but it'll do and that's how we ended up with IE being forced down our throats on the desktop ;)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
there used to be price wars here, now there's just a shed load of contracts that don't really suit modern usage and extortionate prices :(

Yeah. I'm surprised they don't do things to help get you off your existing contract. So they can get those monthly money instead.

xJavonta

Banned
Can't find a WP8 thread so I figured this is the approrpriate thread to ask

Does the Messaging app in WP8 sync with W8? Or do we not know yet? Also, when do WP8 devices go on sale?

frontieruk

Yeah. I'm surprised they don't do things to help get you off your existing contract. So they can get those monthly money instead.

there used to be all sorts of price matching going on here, Orange would actually recreate a competitors tariff if it was a standard tariff for the competitor to keep customers, now prices are all set, and the idea seems to be retain customers by offering crap upgrade choices come upgrade time, wait for you to call up to cancel then offer you a better contract, if you don't agree they add a better handset, if you don't agree again they drop the price or add data.

Razdek

Banned
thus android is the windows of the mobile world, not the best but it'll do and that's how we ended up with IE being forced down our throats on the desktop ;)

kinda ironic that android pretty much did the same thing to mobile that Microsoft did to desktop. It's like they out Microsofted Microsoft.

frontieruk

Can't find a WP8 thread so I figured this is the approrpriate thread to ask

Does the Messaging app in WP8 sync with W8? Or do we not know yet? Also, when do WP8 devices go on sale?

no it doesn't, I don't think I've seen my texts on my surface... one sec... No and some of us are rolling WP8 devices ;)

xJavonta

Banned
no it doesn't, I don't think I've seen my texts on my surface... one sec... No and some of us are rolling WP8 devices ;)

Ahh that's disappointing. That alone would have been enough for me to get a WP8 device instead of an iPhone.

Also, how!?!?! I'm on a plan with my parents that ends soon, so were thinking of switching carriers and I can't find any WP8 phones on any carriers in the US.

kn1ves24

I thought the Nexus 4 didn't have LTE? If I was buying a new phone the one feature it would have is LTE and I don't even have LTE where I live. Just a personal observation. I've been tempted by Android devices but what always holds me back is the hardware. None of the current devices really suite me.

xJavonta

Banned
Texts no but I'd think Facebook chats would be in sync.

I would assume it does, since it syncs with the facebook webpage and the WP8 messaging app. Haven't tried the iOS and Android apps to see if they sync. Texts are more important to me than FB chats though and even if they had plans to add that it would win me over.

They will be coming soon.
Okay, thanks! They don't have a set date though, right? And I'm assuiming WP8 isn't like Android where you can just flash a ROM to your phone if you want the latest iteration of it?

I thought the Nexus 4 didn't have LTE? If I was buying a new phone the one feature it would have is LTE and I don't even have LTE where I live. Just a personal observation. I've been tempted by Android devices but what always holds me back is the hardware. None of the current devices really suite me.
Android phones don't have the options to suit you? That's the first I've ever heard that lol, the best thing about Android is that there's a surplus of different devices with different features to suit different people.

Milchjon

Yup, no LTE.

Glitter on the back, tho

PG2G

How would that work? Even if they synced them you wouldn't be able to respond from W8. I guess it's be possible, depending on how much of Skype they want to give away for free.

frontieruk

I would assume it does, since it syncs with the facebook webpage and the WP8 messaging app. Haven't tried the iOS and Android apps to see if they sync. Texts are more important to me than FB chats though and even if they had plans to add that it would win me over.

Okay, thanks! They don't have a set date though, right? And I'm assuiming WP8 isn't like Android where you can just flash a ROM to your phone if you want the latest iteration of it?

Android phones don't have the options to suit you? That's the first I've ever heard that lol, the best thing about Android is that there's a surplus of different devices with different features to suit different people.

can confirm facebook does sync between devices, will try texts tomorrow when people I know on facebook are up so I can start a facebook chat and switch to text to see if it keeps sync

I don't see why they couldn't though as long as users have the sync texts to skydrive enabled...

How would that work? Even if they synced them you wouldn't be able to respond from W8. I guess it's be possible, depending on how much of Skype they want to give away for free.

I could see the advantage of being able to just check a text from a PC / tablet as you'd left the mobile somewhere else, but replying by text would be a bother

xJavonta

Banned

iOS does it with OS X. I did it on my computer with Google Voice from Chrome and Google Voice as the messaging app on my Nexus S 4G. I don't see why it couldn't work lol.

kn1ves24

Android the OS is fine, its great if you like to tinker/customize and I like tinkering/customizing. I just don't care for many of the handsets. I'm sure I could find one but as of right now the 920, 820, 8X, and 8S are much more appealing.

xJavonta

Banned
Android the OS is fine, its great if you like to tinker/customize and I like tinkering/customizing. I just don't care for many of the handsets. I'm sure I could find one but as of right now the 920, 820, 8X, and 8S are much more appealing.

Ahh like the way they look? I see what you mean now

it's weird watching the community move to Android :(

What's so weird about it? Even The iVerge admits that today's Android is the most advanced mobile operating system you can get. If you haven't used Android since before ICS, you really haven't used Android in forever.

yeah if I didn't completely buy into the windows eco system this month I'd of ordered one just to play with

This part I don't get. How much have you actually spent on Windows Phone which you aren't willing to replace on Android? There aren't even that many apps you could have paid for!

The evolution of Windows and Android are very similar in this way.

There was a time when Windows was really awful, during the Win95-98-Me years. Then Windows XP came out and erased all traces of the old terribadness. WinXP was still a bit clunky but it actually just worked for the first time ever. Windows 7 only served to refine and improve on XP and these days no one even talks about Mac OS X anymore compared to Windows.

There was a time when Android was really awful, during the 2.0-2.3 (Eclair-Froyo-Gingerbread) years. Then Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) came out and erased all traces of the old terribadness. 4.0 was still a bit clunky but it actually just worked for the first time ever. Android 4.1-4.2 (Jelly Bean) only served to refine and improve on 4.0 and these days no one even talks about iOS anymore compared to Windows.

Totakeke

What's so weird about it? Even The iVerge admits that today's Android is the most advanced mobile operating system you can get. If you haven't used Android since before ICS, you really haven't used Android in forever.

Not that many people care about their platform being the most advanced ever.

frontieruk

I had a galaxy nexus until about a month ago, I don't like the flow of the OS it's too iOS for me, even with the extra's the openness brings and I had a G1, G2, Hero, Desire and GN so I went through the worst of it it just never got better to how I want my phone to work, the OS is so much more than the early promise ever showed it's just not for me, can you understand that?

Unknown Soldier said:
This part I don't get. How much have you actually spent on Windows Phone which you aren't willing to replace on Android? There aren't even that many apps you could have paid for!

Erm lets see... £75 for 2 Win pro 8 licenses (one DL, one DVD upgrade), £479 for a surface with touch cover and £379 on a 8x whats that add up too?

£933 or $1494 us am I invested in a platform or not?? as I don't seem to of purchased any apps :-S

Unknown Soldier said:
The evolution of Windows and Android are very similar in this way.

There was a time when Windows was really awful, during the Win95-98-Me years. Then Windows XP came out and erased all traces of the old terribadness. WinXP was still a bit clunky but it actually just worked for the first time ever. Windows 7 only served to refine and improve on XP and these days no one even talks about Mac OS X anymore compared to Windows.

There was a time when Android was really awful, during the 2.0-2.3 (Eclair-Froyo-Gingerbread) years. Then Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) came out and erased all traces of the old terribadness. 4.0 was still a bit clunky but it actually just worked for the first time ever. Android 4.1-4.2 (Jelly Bean) only served to refine and improve on 4.0 and these days no one even talks about iOS anymore compared to Windows.

"these days no one even talks about iOS anymore compared to Windows" ? Sorry I followed every and agreed with everything up to this and then got lost :( it's late, these guys had me up late Friday answering questions and I've not caught up :( (cry me a river I know)

Totakeke

I'm assuming that on NeoGAF most people will care. Which is why so many people in this thread have moved to Android.

Hey guys, how many of you moved because Android is the most advanced mobile OS ever?

I'm guessing zero. There's plenty of reasons to move, being the most advanced mobile OS ever which means what exactly is far from the primary reason.

frontieruk

Hey guys, how many of you moved because Android is the most advanced mobile OS ever?

I'm guessing zero. There's plenty of reasons to move, being the most advanced mobile OS ever which means what exactly is far from the primary reason.

if he said most advanced hardware, we wouldn't nitpick admit it ;)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's people like unknown soldier who are absolutely shitty ambassadors for the platforms. Such fanboyish bullshit every time they open their mouths. I feel like not buying an N4 just so I don't have any links to such stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom