• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Hah, thanks, did not search on youtube :D
It's really big :/

edit: T-Mobile Austria - HTC 8X 0€ with new contract from today on.

Haha, yeah, I'm kinda wondering if I'd have to change my habit of just putting my phone in my pocket. The 920 probably won't fit in my hipster pants :-D

SeanR1221

Nice!

All of my initial fears (size, battery, camera) have basically been put to rest. GIVE ME

Yup same here. It's got the hardware that's for sure. Now real question is will the ecosystem jive with my life.

I had posted a list of my most used apps before in this tread to see how WP compares. I'll post an updated list and see how things turn out around my upgrade time 2 months from now. I think a couple months in the mobile space is long enough for developers to get their shit together.

My fear is always the little things Id miss. It's not hyperbole to say iOS has an app for almost everything.

Good example is black Friday. Every year my friends go out to buy movies and games. iOS has a nice app where you can make lists of what youre going to buy and what stores have what deals...will WP8 have simple apps like these? I know it sounds silly, but its those little things that can add up.

kazinova

Good example is black Friday. Every year my friends go out to buy movies and games. iOS has a nice app where you can make lists of what youre going to buy and what stores have what deals...will WP8 have simple apps like these? I know it sounds silly, but its those little things that can add up.

I use OneNote for that, you could also use Evernote, that's crossplatform. In fact, I keep a OneNote grocery list that I shared to my girlfriend so we both can see anything that's been added to it. You could do the same thing with your friends.

MarkusRJR

So I saw pictures of the WP8 home screen with black tiles. It looked so good. I couldn't find the option on my brother's 920. I'm confused, did they remove the option somewhere down the line or something? It looked so good. :(

Milchjon

So I saw pictures of the WP8 home screen with black tiles. It looked so good. I couldn't find the option on my brother's 920. I'm confused, did they remove the option somewhere down the line or something? It looked so good. :(

Try the high contrast option, that might be what you were looking for.

I'm guessing it's somewhere in the accessability options.

My god this whole ordeal has felt like forever... It's the first week of November and still no news of when I'll be able to purchase an unlocked CYAN Lumia 920 on the Rogers network.

I'ts like ordering pizza and not having it arrive within the 30 minutes, you continue waiting only for it to arrive 2 hours in... At that point I would be fed up and tired of waiting.

Cj70

So I found out how non US Windows Phone 8 users can get Podcasts to show up on their phones...

You install ITunes and use the desktop syncing app to sync them to the phone.

I haven't found any other way to do it.

Thanks Apple I guess.

Milchjon

Wait, accessibility options? Does turning it on do anything else beyond changing the theme on the home screen?

Yup:

WP8%2BSDK%2BLeak%2B-%2B22%2B-%2BPlaffo%2BAccessibility.jpg

And I don't think black is an accent color:

wp8guide80.jpg

This is what you were referring to, right?

MarkusRJR

Yup:

And I don't think black is an accent color:

wp8guide80.jpg

This is what you were referring to, right?
Yeah. I've finally decided to get the 8S after some thinking. I was now trying to decide on getting either the black/white one or the blue one. That picture looks so fucking good but if it does stuff beyond just being a theme, I dunno. I can't imagine any of the colored themes to look all that great with the black/white model.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Simply unbelievable. So I would have to manually delete podcasts after I listen to them? This is just so bad. One of the main reasons I left android, besides the UI and bugginess, was the lack of a competent desktop sync client.

And one of the reasons I wouldn't go back to iPhone, besides the stale interface, is iTunes. This is a slap in the face. How hard is it to re-skin Zune to say Xbox music? They did it on the Xbox!

hwalker84

Simply unbelievable. So I would have to manually delete podcasts after I listen to them? This is just so bad. One of the main reasons I left android, besides the UI and bugginess, was the lack of a competent desktop sync client.

And one of the reasons I wouldn't go back to iPhone, besides the stale interface, is iTunes. This is a slap in the face. How hard is it to re-skin Zune to say Xbox music? They did it on the Xbox!

Zune should've been reskinned as the Windows Phone Client. Remove all the other garbage out of it.

Cj70

You can setup podcast subscriptions on the phone that keep them up to date without a pc (if you're in a supported region/US)

bananas

Banned

Are there any third party podcasting apps? On my iPhone I don't even bother with iTunes anymore. I thought MS was moving WP8 in that cloud syncing, no client direction too?

Cj70

Are there any third party podcasting apps? On my iPhone I don't even bother with iTunes anymore. I thought MS was moving WP8 in that cloud syncing, no client direction too?

Recently discovered slapdash which has a win8 app too and keeps everything synced between them.

Bringcast and Podcasts! Seem to work fine too

Razdek

Banned
My god this whole ordeal has felt like forever... It's the first week of November and still no news of when I'll be able to purchase an unlocked CYAN Lumia 920 on the Rogers network.

I'ts like ordering pizza and not having it arrive within the 30 minutes, you continue waiting only for it to arrive 2 hours in... At that point I would be fed up and tired of waiting.

Good luck on waiting for the cyan. That was my plan as well but who knows when Rogers is going to get more colors in so I'm thinking just going with the black or else the blue HTC 8X. It's been a botched up launch for sure.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I said it in the previous page, I prefer to have the desktop client handle my podcast subscriptions. I don't want to use my data on them, and my desktop has them all downloaded and ready for me when I get home. Also, I have video podcasts I subscribe to.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
You can setup podcast subscriptions on the phone that keep them up to date without a pc (if you're in a supported region/US)

That's definitely the best solution in the US. It works great for me.

I said it in the previous page, I prefer to have the desktop client handle my podcast subscriptions. I don't want to use my data on them, and my desktop has them all downloaded and ready for me when I get home. Also, I have video podcasts I subscribe to.

You can tell the phone to only download on wifi.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
For half a heartbeat I thought about giving up TMobile and going with AT&T just for the Cyan Lumia 920 but then I was like naaaa

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So it matches (and sometimes outperforms) the iPhone 5 in daylight. Then it destroys every other phone in low light.

This is a bad time to lack an upgrade. :(

Raistlin

Anyone know if the dev phone does have the correct frequencies for AT&T LTE?

Any real pics of Lumia 800 near a 920? I need to get a feel of how bis this would be.
From all accounts, you can just grab a 900 to get a general idea (though the 920 is curved better for your hand).

Raistlin

So I found out how non US Windows Phone 8 users can get Podcasts to show up on their phones...

You install ITunes and use the desktop syncing app to sync them to the phone.

I haven't found any other way to do it.

Thanks Apple I guess.
Thank MS.

The iTunes support is new.

Just do your podcast management on the phone itself.

It doesn't use your data if you don't want it to. It downloads them in the background over WiFi.

SeanR1221

A few things

If I add something to a calendar on WP8 will it automatically show on the Windows RT calendar app?

What about contacts?

Any easy way to get my contacts off of my iPhone 4?

hwalker84

A few things

If I add something to a calendar on WP8 will it automatically show on the Windows RT calendar app?

What about contacts?

As long as the Calendar you added the the event to is also added to the Mail app in W8/RT then Yes

Same

Where are they actually? Gmail? Hotmail? Yahoo? Apple Mail?

kharma45

A few things

What about contacts?

1 and 2 - Don't see any reason why they shouldn't, providing you're using something like Google to sync your contacts.

3 - Google Contacts is what I've been using to move mine from phone to phone.

SeanR1221

Hwalker, what do you mean as long as it's added to the mail app?

Right now I keep my contacts and calendar events stored just on iCloud. Troll, your solution sounds like it would work.

This would be a big feature for me. I love how when I add something to my phone, it shows up on everything with iCloud. I would want to add a contact or calendar event to the 920 and have it show up on my Yoga.

venne

Right now I keep my contacts and calendar events stored just on iCloud. Troll, your solution sounds like it would work.

This would be a big feature for me. I love how when I add something to my phone, it shows up on everything with iCloud. I would want to add a contact or calendar event to the 920 and have it show up on my Yoga.

I believe by default contacts and calendar events are saved to your Microsoft account.

As long as the accounts are the same on both machines, you're golden.

Raistlin

As long as all your devices are synced to the same calendars (you can set up to use hotmail/outlook, google, etc) ... they'll all see the same data regardless of where you add the event from ... be it phone, computer, website, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom