• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia is already planning a fix for daylight pictures according to a Nokia rep in France.

920 in Cyan is my main choice, but due to Rogers and Nokia in Canada I will probably be getting a 8X in December.

Troll

Banned
On Friday I'll be picking up a white 920 and a cyan 920. I hope that the free wireless charging station is extended to the online store.

Nokia is already planning a fix for daylight pictures according to a Nokia rep in France.

920 in Cyan is my main choice, but due to Rogers and Nokia in Canada I will probably be getting a 8X in December.

I'm not really worried about the daytime pics. Engadget said the pics that they took on their field trip to Nokia HQ didn't suffer from the lack of sharpness everyone is talking about.

Engadget

It's as if the lens mechanism isn't quite focusing correctly. We spoke with Nokia at length about this and were told it's at least in part thanks to some pending software tweaks to increase sharpness -- but that doesn't explain why we didn't see any such aberrations when we visited Finland to test a 920 last month.

Given the shittiness of the new WP sync app, and the relative "open-ness" of WP8 as far as syncing goes (able to use Windows Media Player, can access it as a storage device, etc.), couldn't a developer just create a third-party sync app? One that isn't shitty?

I squat like 400lbs, bro.

e: My traps are like ridiculous, yo.

Wait, has ATT given official launch info? I want dat Cyan 920.

Commodore

Given the barebones of the new WP8 sync app, what I'm more concerned with is loosing smart playlist management capabilities. I can get podcasts, but like vanmardigan I prefer a decent software to manage it automatically. So this new revision is disheartening. But loosing an easy way to manage autoplaylists on my device makes me mad. I use auto playlists to easily sync new music and to keep music I like with me so i don't have to take my whole library with me. If i have to use windows media center or iTunes to set up autoplaylists that's definitely a step back. Plus that's also got me thinking what happens when i plug in my new WP8 device into my computer if i also have the Zune software installed? Will it sync try to sync with both? I still have a Zune HD, and I'm assuming we'd still new the Zune software to sync it. Seems like it's going to be a bad syncing experience when I'm first setting up my phone to get the content i want on it. Hope they plan on making it more robust.

Commodore

No, nothing official as far as launch date. We have known for a while that cyan would be an online exclusive for a while.

But I do have a feeling that WPCentral is right this time about the Lumia launching this Friday.

I really really hope they're right. Getting a new phone and seeing SKYFALL later that night will make for a great day.

UraMallas

Any word on 8X pre-orders? I keep going back and forth between staying with Verizon and getting a blue 8X or switching to AT&T for the Cyan 920. It might come down to who gives me a pre-order option first because I'm so wishy-washy on the decision.

Bullza2o

Anybody having trouble with Adobe Reader? I'm trying to open a pdf from dropbox and it keeps saying that the file is invalid. There have been multiple times when I needed to do this for class (including today), and my laptop lasts 10 minutes max on battery. I'm quite upset right now.

kharma45

Anybody having trouble with Adobe Reader? I'm trying to open a pdf from dropbox and it keeps saying that the file is invalid. There have been multiple times when I needed to do this for class (including today), and my laptop lasts 10 minutes max on battery. I'm quite upset right now.

Edit - nm, it's wp8 only.

frontieruk

didn't they just launch a new one? ah wp8 only

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I find when taking photo's with my 900 is that depending on where you press on the screen to take the photo it can have a big impact on the lighting in the picture.

Milchjon

One thing I find when taking photo's with my 900 is that depending on where you press on the screen to take the photo it can have a big impact on the lighting in the picture.

That's the way it's supposed to be, you choose where to focus with your press.

For photos that are closest to what you see on the screen, you have to use the shutter button.

Milchjon

the gizmodo 920 review is just...lol

It can't be stated enough how annoyingly heavy and bloated the Lumia 920 is.

Should You Buy It?

It kills me to say this, because I wanted to own this instead of an iPhone 5, but no. No you shouldn't. It's too big and heavy. It's not fun to own. It's not enjoyable to use. If you want a Windows Phone, check out the very good HTC 8X. But this? No, not this.

I wanna slap them til they lie in the corner crying like the little bit.. I mean babies they are.

I held another one today, they are just going all out with their trolling.

But at least there's this:

Battery life is fantastic, even with both LTE and Wi-Fi enabled—more than enough to last you for an entire day.

Dead

well not really...yet
I wanna slap them til they lie in the corner crying like the little bit.. I mean babies they are.

I held another one today, they are just going all out with their trolling.

But at least there's this:
I picked up my HTC sensation that has a bumper case on it, weighed it and it came in at 180g. After holding that and reading their review, I could have fallen over laughing. Totally absurd.

SeanR1221

Thanks Walker.

Btw I noticed on my calendar app on RT one of the accounts was my MS account. I see what you mean now how they're linked.

Milchjon

I'm seriously starting to get livid about this weight thing. Am I supposed to stop trusting my own senses here? After holding it for the first time on Saturday and then reading about it again, I thought "hey, maybe I was just too distracted by the screen and stuff", but after holding it again today, I just hate hate hate reading about it again.

The problem is, once you start complaining, you're part of the problem for a publication that's based on clicks.

The battery life is such a joke, my dumbphone lasts for atleast a week. That one of the major reasons that I still haven´t upgraded to a smartphone. But the yellow 920 is going to be mine for sure, hopefully before Christmas.

Milchjon

The battery life is such a joke, my dumbphone lasts for atleast a week. That one of the major reasons that I still haven´t upgraded to a smartphone. But the yellow 920 is going to be mine for sure, hopefully before Christmas.

It has the power of your laptop from like two years ago in a device that fits into the palm of your hand. And I bet your laptop didn't last a day. What do you expect to happen?

cube444

I'm seriously starting to get livid about this weight thing. Am I supposed to stop trusting my own senses here? After holding it for the first time on Saturday and then reading about it again, I thought "hey, maybe I was just too distracted by the screen and stuff", but after holding it again today, I just hate hate hate reading about it again.

The problem is, once you start complaining, you're part of the problem for a publication that's based on clicks.

These sites all seem to have an affinity (hidden or otherwise) to anything Apple so I'm sure they're comparing it (hidden or otherwise) to the iPhone 5 when they bring up the "too heavy" angle.

That's the way it's supposed to be, you choose where to focus with your press.

For photos that are closest to what you see on the screen, you have to use the shutter button.

I wish it work like that as far as shutter button is concern. Every time I take picture with Lumia 900 it just frustrate me to no end. The image on the screen would be perfect just like what I see but as soon as I press the shutter it would add all kind of weird blue-green tint to the image. I thought I was seeing thing but even my daughter said the same thing when we were out and about this weekend taking random pictures together. Her comment to me was "Dad, why does your phone change the color of your picture!?"

I hope that is not what going on with 920 (which could be why everyone is giving it a horrible day-light picture review).

I have found that the saturation and contrast are just way too high, the problem is, if I adjust them down then that green-blue tint became even worst. Lately I just set the camera to default (which take gaudy bright orange color picture if you are in door) and then use "auto-fix" and that seems to get the picture closest to what I see.

Still I think the 900 has the worst camera of all the 3 Windows Phone I use, Focus is by far the best at point and shoot.

Milchjon

I wish it work like that as far as shutter button is concern. Every time I take picture with Lumia 900 it just frustrate me to no end. The image on the screen would be perfect just like what I see but as soon as I press the shutter it would add all kind of weird blue-green tint to the image. I thought I was seeing thing but even my daughter said the same thing when we were out and about this weekend taking random pictures together. Her comment to me was "Dad, why does your phone change the color of your picture!?"

I hope that is not what going on with 920 (which could be why everyone is giving it a horrible day-light picture review).

I have found that the saturation and contrast are just way too high, the problem is, if I adjust them down then that green-blue tint became even worst. Lately I just set the camera to default (which take gaudy bright orange color picture if you are in door) and then use "auto-fix" and that seems to get the picture closest to what I see.

Still I think the 900 has the worst camera of all the 3 Windows Phone I use, Focus is by far the best at point and shoot.

Yeah, the 800 camera isn't too great either.

I was mostly referring to the lighting.

It has the power of your laptop from like two years ago in a device that fits into the palm of your hand. And I bet your laptop didn't last a day. What do you expect to happen?
It´s not like I expected it to be better, but since it is supposed to replace the functions of my dumbphone it has made the move tougher for me. But I guess that I´ll just have to keep my dumbphone for going camping, fishing, going abroad for a weekend and stuff like that.

Sadly the only way to get decent battery life with current gen technology is to put ungodly sized batteries on the thing. Although since everyone seems to have such a hard time making new battery tech; we would be much better of if someone just funded the spray on Solar Panels that some university was flaunting around a few months ago.

Yeah, the 800 camera isn't too great either.

I was mostly referring to the lighting.

It was really the single most disappoint thing about the Lumia 900. I have such high hope for the camera since it's Nokia but it turn out to be the worst part. The camera is really weird sometimes it would take absolutely beautiful picture and then same exact shot it would go crazy and doesn't seem to know where to set white balance. I am hoping that they work out whatever problem they are having with 920 software. Engadget said the 920 took great picture when she was preview it some months ago but during review they said the day time picture is just about the same as 8X and barely good enough against iPhone 5.

As for weight of the Lumia, I don't think they are being overly critical, it is a heavy phone no two way about it. When I first pick up the Lumia I was surprise that it is just as heavy as my gigantic Titan (then it was big, now it's like a dwarf next to the like of GS3 and Note). The thing is you adjust to it real quick and while I would like it to be may be a tad lighter it is no longer a deal breaker for me. (It used to be, one of the reason I went with Focus beside that Amoled screen was because it was so light).

The live tile on the Facebook app changed, without the app updating on the user's (my) end. Didn't know that was possible. The notifications actually pop when they happen now.

It´s not like I expected it to be better, but since it is supposed to replace the functions of my dumbphone it has made the move tougher for me. But I guess that I´ll just have to keep my dumbphone for going camping, fishing, going abroad for a weekend and stuff like that.

My kids and I kept our dumb phone around for camping or even going to convention. Their feature phone would last 3-4 days on one charge but then again, they have small TFT screen with no features beside sending message and take picture. There is no way you are going to get that kind of battery life with smartphone, at least not with current tech.

My kids and I kept our dumb phone around for camping or even going to convention. Their feature phone would last 3-4 days on one charge but then again, they have small TFT screen with no features beside sending message and take picture. There is no way you are going to get that kind of battery life with smartphone, at least not with current tech.
Me complaining about the battery has nothing to do with 920 being especially bad(no idea if it is) just that it sucks, and it is the 920 that are forcing me to do the jump to smartphone, since it is so sexy.

Milchjon

As for weight of the Lumia, I don't think they are being overly critical, it is a heavy phone no two way about it. When I first pick up the Lumia I was surprise that it is just as heavy as my gigantic Titan (then it was big, now it's like a dwarf next to the like of GS3 and Note). The thing is you adjust to it real quick and while I would like it to be may be a tad lighter it is no longer a deal breaker for me. (It used to be, one of the reason I went with Focus beside that Amoled screen was because it was so light).

They absolutely are overly critical, because they're turning a minor annoyance into a dealbreaker. I'd never argue the 920 is perfect, but the weight wouldn't even be in my top 10 of issues with it.

They make it sound like a brick, and they are turning people who are interested off. Not even in the age of the iPhone 5 should this weight thing get blown out of proportion like this.

I've held an iPhone 5. I've held several GS3s. It's a non-issue.

I mean, this thing is fucking huge. If people don't like 4.5" phones, who am I to tell them otherwise. But get the hell out with the phone being too heavy. (Edit: Not talking about you, I'm talking about Gizmodo&Co.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom