• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally someone has called Microsoft out on this bullshit! I just don't understand why Zune wasn't repackaged. Do you know how many casual users have no clue where their media is stored? Xbox Music sucks balls to manage your music as the Windows Phone App looks worse.

Not that I don't agree with you but I think they just want people to just manage their collection off the cloud. That is what my kids and my wife do, they hate having to sync their phone to the computer and rather just download/stream whatever to their phones and keep or delete whatever they done or do not want. I don't think I ever see my daughter sync her iPod or my wife sync her iPad in the last 6 months.

I am going to miss my Wi-Fi sync...especially photo. I like having them just show up on my computer and back them up to proper folder as I please. Now with Windows 8 I will have to take extra step of getting them off the cloud or sync them by wire daily (that if there's still photo function in the new Windows 8 app).

These sites all seem to have an affinity (hidden or otherwise) to anything Apple so I'm sure they're comparing it (hidden or otherwise) to the iPhone 5 when they bring up the "too heavy" angle.

When you're going up against shit like this, how can you expect to win?

That’s because, in all other ways, the iPhone 5 is the best phone ever to grace the earth. It beats every single rival on just about every metric you can think of, including speed, battery life, and especially beauty and workmanship.

I’ll go even further: When I pick up the iPhone 5 and examine it closely, I find it difficult to believe that this device actually exists.

Milchjon

From the same Sam Biddle (I'm so passive-aggressive, I won't even link the article):

After waiting in line to buy and spending seven days with the iPhone 5, living with it, owning it, I can say confidently that it's the best smartphone you can buy.

So, yeah, I'm not expecting someone who actually stands in line for a competing device to be objective about it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Most of these journalists use iPhones as their daily drivers. That's their choice, obviously, but it does put in perspective any complaint they have about the weight of the 920. If you use the 5 as your daily phone, and you are used to that form factor, the 920 WILL seem like a brick.

It also explains why its so difficult to find an in depth Apollo review. If you don't use windows phone 7.5 every day, you can't fully appreciate the minute but meaningful changes to the stability, speed, and tempo of the OS.

Meanwhile, ios6 reviews are painstakingly detailed because tech journalists who own iPhones actually notice even the smallest changes apple makes, like an extra row of icons. I joked about that change, but I'm sure hardcore iPhone users felt that it made a difference day to day.

venne

It also explains why its so difficult to find an in depth Apollo review. If you don't use windows phone 7.5 every day, you can't fully appreciate the minute but meaningful changes to the stability, speed, and tempo of the OS.

I heard Microsoft finally added Facebook to the OS.

Took them long enough.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I heard Microsoft finally added Facebook to the OS.

Took them long enough.

Or copy/paste from an email.
Edit: beaten

Its why reviews from those sites have embarrassing statements.

Its also why I value a review from someone like thurrott, or more importantly, people from this forum. You get a much better feel from a group like this, and nobody here sugarcoats anything either.

PG2G

Not that I don't agree with you but I think they just want people to just manage their collection off the cloud. That is what my kids and my wife do, they hate having to sync their phone to the computer and rather just download/stream whatever to their phones and keep or delete whatever they done or do not want. I don't think I ever see my daughter sync her iPod or my wife sync her iPad in the last 6 months.

I am going to miss my Wi-Fi sync...especially photo. I like having them just show up on my computer and back them up to proper folder as I please. Now with Windows 8 I will have to take extra step of getting them off the cloud or sync them by wire daily (that if there's still photo function in the new Windows 8 app).

I guess when you consider that Xbox Music Match is free (unlike iTunes Match), the cloud is a much more useful for that sort of thing.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can any HTC 8X owners please chime in with how they are finding the battery life so far.

Thanks.

Regarding the 8X it should be out late next week with Rogers and Bell. A rep at Rogers said it should be $100 (16gb model) on a 3 year contract. Not sure about the full retail price.

Dead

well not really...yet
xaytD.jpg

Priced whenever, pre-order never, waiting forever

Milchjon

http://gafmodo.tumblr.com/

My passive aggressive outlet!

PM for login data if you wanna help fighting the good fight! GAF speaks up for the truth!

No, I'm not fully serious. It's also late and I had too much coffee, so you're all witnessing my breakdown.

Dammit, I'm actually pissed now. These are the products of global companies that are making billions, competing against other huge corporations, and yet I'm seriously salty.

May the Lord have mercy on my soul.

cube444

Regarding the 8X it should be out late next week with Rogers and Bell. A rep at Rogers said it should be $100 (16gb model) on a 3 year contract. Not sure about the full retail price.

Thanks dude. I'm hearing November 15th but I don't want any 3 year deals. How much for one year? (Even though I doubt such contracts even exist)

Dead

well not really...yet
Several people at the WPcentral forums are saying ATT reps are telling them the 920 will be $99 on contract + a free black charging pad on Friday

Awesome if true.

cube444

Yeah. I would like to as well. Maybe down the road I will try to get out of the cycle of getting into contracts.

I'd be fine with a 1 year contract of the HTC 8X. Gives me a break from Apple and a chance to get into the Win 8 OS. What are the chances that they'd offer it in a 1 year deal?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

PM for login data if you wanna help fighting the good fight! GAF speaks up for the truth!

No, I'm not fully serious. It's also late and I had too much coffee, so you're all witnessing my breakdown.

Dammit, I'm actually pissed now. These are the products of global companies that are making billions, competing against other huge corporations, and yet I'm seriously salty.

Damn, dude. Lol. But I know what you mean, some of those reviews are so embarrassing.

Commodore

Heh, nice. I'll give ya an honest review when I get my 920.

cube444

So I've been reading that some people say that HTC has held back on releasing their Win 8 flagship model until next year. Why would they do this and what info do you guys know about it?

Thanks.

Firestorm

There are 1 years contracts, but it is the same as month to month. Fuck carriers are annoying.
Even better, I have a year left on my contract and am a Rogers customer but I have to pay the outright price ($599.99) on the phone rather than month-to-month ($549.99).

cube444

Here's a review on the HTC 8X. Sorry if its already been posted:

By all means, the Windows Phone 8X is the best Windows Phone 8 device I’ve ever used at length. But that’s also because it’s the first one I’ve come across. Nokia and Samsung also have compelling devices coming down the pipeline.

The experience isn’t all that much different than before. It’s just much faster and you can customize it a bit more. That’s fine, however, because I already love Windows Phone and think it’s a compelling and attractive third platform with iOS and Android. It’s just missing a few compelling apps and games at this point, but I have no doubt Microsoft will continue to deliver on that front soon.

I showed the Windows Phone 8X to a few people, including my fiancé, who absolutely loved the phone’s design. It’s thin, powerful and attractive. The colors at launch from HTC are also unlike any smartphone in recent memory, which is a total win for HTC on store shelves. Seriously, try going into a store and not picking up a neon yellow smartphone just to look at it.

There’s no doubt the Windows Phone 8X is a win for HTC. It’s a stellar device that does everything I expect from a Windows Phone, and more, and it gives me a ton of confidence for the future of Windows Phone overall.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/htc/htc-windows-phone-8x-review/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom