• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazinova

I'm having flashbacks to when the Focus was getting bad comments because it was too light. The lightness made it feel cheap, granted the iPhone 5 is made of nicer materials but the weight is almost the same as the Focus. Now that weight is perfect and anything heavier is a tank. You just can't win with these people.

(BTW, the onscreen keyboard on the surface is pretty damned good.)

Commodore

I'm having flashbacks to when the Focus was getting bad comments because it was too light. The lightness made it feel cheap, granted the iPhone 5 is made of nicer materials but the weight is almost the same as the Focus. Now that weight is perfect and anything heavier is a tank. You just can't win with these people.

(BTW, the onscreen keyboard on the surface is pretty damned good.)

Man, I'm worried going from a "too light" Focus to a "too heavy" Lumia 920 that my arm will break off.

toff74

Spoke to P4U twice again yesterday.

The first chap said they had red and yellow 920s in stock and would call me back to once he had all my contract information in front of him... He didn't call back.

The second, after telling him about the first just laughed and said he was on another planet as they aren't actually getting stock until the 19th. At the moment they're EE only, but once in stock there's a good chance we'd be able to get the 920 on any carrier.

My alarm is set!

Spoke to P4U twice again yesterday.

The first chap said they had red and yellow 920s in stock and would call me back to once he had all my contract information in front of him... He didn't call back.

The second, after telling him about the first just laughed and said he was on another planet as they aren't actually getting stock until the 19th. At the moment they're EE only, but once in stock there's a good chance we'd be able to get the 920 on any carrier.

My alarm is set!

ha, they're meant to call me as they thought they'd get them in stock today, so we'll see how that goes. i'm pretty sure i'll be calling them at about 4ish only to be disappointed.
i swear if my halo 4 delivery doesn't arrive today i'm just going to do a sad ;__;

Izuna

Banned
No =[

Nooooooooo

"I was wondering if you have the 920 in stock today?"

"Naw, we only have the 820."

I've never obsessed over an item so much in my life. I call conspiracy, the HTC 8X is so easy to get.

EDIT: One-click ordering the 8X from Amazon for delivery tomorrow is so tempting.

lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFvSxCZZtKQ

i like how Wired decided that some apps are "Not relevant"

I think they are just talking about app that are specific to iPhone. I think it was pretty decent article and highlight how far Microsoft still has to go to get just the top apps. Game is pretty lacking on Windows Phone which is a dam shame since they after all have Xbox Live.

After playing with Surface, mini-iPad and Nexus 7, I am leaning getting iPad mini if I am not happy using my Lumia 920 as mini tablet and if we don't get more game ... especially SHUMPS and boardgame. I am going to hold out until Retina Mini if I can.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
wish they'd send some instructional videos to phones4u, there are 3 stores in Brighton, I got different answers on EE locking, which colours they'd have and sim free availability from each one.

Seems like they all know fuck all and the only difference is that some sales people will try and sell you before they know if they can actually do what you want, and others want you to fuck off so they can sell some phones.

Come to think of it, this isn't at all a shocking revelation, but still would be nice to get a single line of communication.

wish they'd send some instructional videos to phones4u, there are 3 stores in Brighton, I got different answers on EE locking, which colours they'd have and sim free availability from each one.

Seems like they all know fuck all and the only difference is that some sales people will try and sell you before they know if they can actually do what you want, and others want you to fuck off so they can sell some phones.

Come to think of it, this isn't at all a shocking revelation, but still would be nice to get a single line of communication.

god knows how many people interested in windows phone they'll push over to android or iphone based on how little they know about the phones/operating system.

meh, don't have my hopes up for anything today. boooooo.

oh and orange uk said that the phone will be available on them on friday the 9th, so there's that.

kazinova

Seiously, I need to find out how much my parent's otterboxed iPhones weigh. Because it's gotta be close to the 920. Plus the screen is recessed a .250" behind the front face. It's seriously the worst looking, worst feeling way to carry a phone.

venne

Seiously, I need to find out how much my parent's otterboxed iPhones weigh. Because it's gotta be close to the 920. Plus the screen is recessed a .250" behind the front face. It's seriously the worst looking, worst feeling way to carry a phone.

The defender for the Apple 5 comes in at over 100g according to their website:

Weight & Dimensions
Weight (with holster): 4 oz / 114 g (iPhone 5 is another 112g)
Dimensions (with holster): 5.42 in x 3.15 in x 1.36 in / 137.67 mm x 79.88 x 34.47 mm
Dimensions (without holster): 5.32 in x 2.75 in x 0.64 in / 135.12 mm x 69.9 mm x 16.18 mm

Compared to the 920:

180g 130.3 mm x 70.8 mm x 10.7 mm

ElNino

Cases seem to be way more common in the US than over here. Especially those thick ones.
I don't know a single person with an iPhone who doesn't use a case, and several use the Otterbox Defender.

Really the only smartphones I see regularly which don't have cases are BlackBerrys, although they do usually have them holstered when not using them.

kazinova

Man, I can only hope my pants pockets hold, or else the 920 will drop out and start boring a hole to the center of the earth. We can only hope that much mass doesn't stop the rotation of core.

Totakeke

Finally, nice.

It'll be nice to stop hearing stupid BoM arguments for a while.

WPCentral said:
The Nokia Lumia 920 will be available this Friday, November 9th for just $99—a full $50 less than what Best Buy was pricing the device at just a week ago. In addition, AT&T will be offering a free wireless charging plate with each purchase of the Lumia 920 while supplies last. Windows Phone Central accurately brough you that news a few days ago. Preorders start tomorrow, November 7th.

Milchjon

Wow, those prices are crazy. $99 with a charging pad?

While the 8X is $199?

Also, BlueTsunami, AT&T seems to offer a blue variant of the 8X (8GB only):

AT&T will stock exclusive Limelight Yellow and California Blue color variants of the 8X with 8GB of storage for $99.99.

thirty

Banned
free charging plate and low price almost make all the lack of info all worth it. what sucks is I'll be leaving on vacation Thursday night so I can't take my new 920 with me. at least I can pre-order tomorrow.

I'm also looking to break the contract and just pay the ETF and go with Straight Talk. I hope ATT doesn't try to charge me for the wireless plate when I do that.

also, a WP8 WiFi question. do you know if you can set WiFi to automatically turn on while near your designated WiFi locations like your home or office? I hate having to manually turn WiFi on for my WP7 device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom