• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
I was looking at pricing and I was wondering why would anybody go for the 5 GB for $50 over the 3GB for $30. There is no penalty for going over, really. In the months you use less than 4GB but are paying the 5GB price you get screwed, though. Wait. Isn't the 1GB plan $10? Why would I not go with that plan and just add extra GB as needed in "overage" fees since it's the same price?

300MB is $20, which is the lowest plan.

You do make a good point about the 3GB vs 5GB plan though. I do think the 5GB includes free wireless tether however.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Posted this in the Lumia thread:

3IWdv.png

'Brick' must be code for 'better build quality'

frontieruk

Why can't we just have a windows 8 thread? we've managed with one for WP7 with at least 11 handsets Windows 8 has what 5 so far?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Why can't we just have a windows 8 thread? we've managed with one for WP7 with at least 11 handsets Windows 8 has what 5 so far?

Yeah, this probably a better idea. The Lumia thread is off and running already however. We do need to combat Android with all of their threads though.

frontieruk

Yeah, this probably a better idea. The Lumia thread is off and running already however. We do need to combat Android with all of their threads though.

except they do have things to discuss with all the custom roms for each handset, the WP differentiate with a few apps which tbh could be dealt with in a windows thread.

We need to make a list of WP8 positives and negatives for the new OT.

Positives
  • Facebook integration
  • Can copy/paste from e-mail (unconfirmed)

Negatives
  • Not Android
  • Received less applications than the Conservative Feminists Club

Samsung S3 vs Nokia Lumia 920?

I heard Nokia has a better camera, any other big positives? Which one is faster?

I'm a light user, although I do like customising the display.

Milchjon

Samsung S3 vs Nokia Lumia 920?

I heard Nokia has a better camera, any other big positives? Which one is faster?

I'm a light user, although I do like customising the display.

Making a complete list for comparing these two is a pretty big undertaking, they're both rather different and have their advantages.

GS3 is the safe bet, with Android and everything that comes with it. I think there's a reason why it's among the best-selling phones, although I personally can't stand the design. It also has a huge screen and is pretty light and slim.

The 900 has several nice features, like one of the best, if not the best screen on the market (faster refresh rate, better sunlight readability, higher PPI than Retina etc., works with gloves), a great camera, wireless charging, Office, all that jazz. And of course WP8, the most beautiful UI ;-)

I don't know which is "faster", but all WP phones are incredibly smooth.

Certainly won't dump on the S3 since I don't have any experience with it, but I'd say, objectively, the 920 has:

-Best low light performance of any smartphone camera
-Best stabilize camera video
-Rich audio recording
-Fastest phone refresh rate
-One of the highest screen DPI
-Super-sensitive touchscreen (works with gloves)

All Windows Phones are going to be "smooth", as the OS is optimized to run at 60 fps, but 920 is supposedly buttery.

kn1ves24

So I stopped by my ATT store today because I saw the news of the release date. I talked to the guy there and he couldn't even promise me that they would have _ANY_ 920's there on Friday. He also knew nothing of a pre-order. Nobody at the store did.

So I might be SOL come Friday as far as getting one. Does anyone here know how the online pre-order works? Can I pre-order online and get it shipped to my house? or do I pick it up at a store? I really want to have the device in my hand come Friday...with a charge plate.

Hmm, that's not really a fair comparison, considering that article came out before the 920 was even released.

Quad core basically means faster, yes, but again, you have to consider the OS. The Android OS is "bigger" and more taxing than WP. Even single core WP7 devices were very smooth.

It might be best for you to just go try them out and see which you like more.

what's the joke here?

I can copy and paste in email since WP7... is it a reviewer meme?

Yes. The Verge/Josh said (in a podcast, I believe) that he couldn't copy/paste from e-mail. I think he was using a Lumia 900?

toff74

My P4U drama continues..

I got another phone call this evening asking about the upgrade to my phone. We went through the usual questions and answers, then the chap said this

'If you upgrade your O2 contract now i can give you a black Nokia Lumia 920 with a free charge pad. 24 months, 600 texts and 600 minutes minimum. It can be posted out this evening and you'll have it for the weekend.'

Id set my heart in the yellow one but having the phone for the weekend was just too much so i caved..

'Ill have it!!!!'

'Good choice.. I'll sort it out for you. Just got to put you on hold for a minute'

I could just feel the weighty mass in my hands as he was pushing his buttons on the other end of the phone.

'Mr G@@@@@@@t. I have some news. You can have your lumia 920 by the weekend if you start a new contract wit EE. I've been informed that its going to be on EE exclusively for the foreseeable future so it would be a good idea to change now if you really want the phone!! If not and you want to change at a later date just call us back.. Shall i proceed with the order?'

That was it.. With a heavy heart (heavier than even the lumia 920) i declined his offer and placed the phone back in the receiver..

This really is a complete P4U joke. How many more times are they going to call me only to have me crying by the be of the conversation?

nobody really knows. i've been into phones4u three times so far & despite all the p.o.s stuff being up, they've no idea when they're getting it.
saying that:
  • everythingeverywhere are getting the 4g versions. white will be exclusive to them.
  • phones4u should be getting the 3g versions. it seems like you can get these on orange & t-mobile. red & yellow are exclusive to phones4u.
  • orange has confirmed via twitter that they'll be available on the 9th. this probably means that the phones will arrive in all the various stores (orange, t-mobile, ee, phones4u) on/just after the 9th, despite what i & others have been told in store at the various phones4u.
  • it will be sold sim-free/unlocked, though many places are claiming it will still be locked to an ee/ee-partner sim, despite how utterly ridiculous that seems. so in other words, you can go contract-free as long as you then use an ee/orange/t-mobile pay as you go sim.

so yeah. i just called my local phones4u & the girl had no idea when they were getting the 920s in, which i think has been the best answer so far, rather than the vague 'give this random day a try' responses i've received so far. ah well, can't blame them, whilst i don't think they particularly care, nokia and/or microsoft haven't made the whole thing transparent.
Thanks for the info.

except they do have things to discuss with all the custom roms for each handset, the WP differentiate with a few apps which tbh could be dealt with in a windows thread.

The biggest Android phone thread is currently the Samsung Galaxy S III thread, which isn't a phone most people would associate with custom ROMs. And the biggest phone thread period on GAF is the iPhone 5 thread, a phone which will never have a custom ROM. Believe it not, when a phone is big, there's lots to talk about besides custom ROMs.

I don't even inhabit the GSIII or iP5 threads, I just see them on the front page of OT all the time.

RBH

Currently an iPhone 4 user (since July 2010), but now considering getting the Lumia 920.

My main concern is the app selection (U.S.) as well as the maps functionality for Windows phones, so I was just curious to get some impressions. I only really use a few "major" apps on a daily basis (Pandora, Netflix, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom