• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

Currently an iPhone 4 user (since July 2010), but now considering getting the Lumia 920.

My main concern is the app selection (U.S.) as well as the maps functionality for Windows phones, so I was just curious to get some impressions. I only really use a few "major" apps on a daily basis (Pandora, Netflix, etc.).

Maps is nothing you have to worry about.

Troll

Banned
Currently an iPhone 4 user (since July 2010), but now considering getting the Lumia 920.

My main concern is the app selection (U.S.) as well as the maps functionality for Windows phones, so I was just curious to get some impressions. I only really use a few "major" apps on a daily basis (Pandora, Netflix, etc.).

Nokia maps are really good. As far as apps, Pandora and Netflix are on WP8 so it really depends on what else you use.

RBH

Nokia maps are really good. As far as apps, Pandora and Netflix are on WP8 so it really depends on what else you use.

I'm just curious if there's any notable apps that are currently absent from the WP app store that are present on iPhones and Androids. I know WatchESPN is currently not on WP, but I was wondering if there's any others.

PG2G

I'm just curious if there's any notable apps that are currently absent from the WP app store that are present on iPhones and Androids. I know WatchESPN is currently not on WP, but I was wondering if there's any others.

Instagram is the major one. Lots of games are missing. We only have unofficial apps for Pandora (though that is coming to Win8 so I'd be surprised if it didn't make its way to wp8).

No Google+ app, no Path. Can't think of what else at the moment

Bullza2o

I am sad to give my Focus away, yet excited to get a Lumia 920. I can't believe that was a year and a half ago.

Now it really looks bad seeing that I cannot upgrade until 6/2014 lol.

TylerD

Dat sweet sweet unlimited data grandfather plan.

Cyan 920 with black wireless charging plate preordered. Looks like it will be here in time for my trip to Austin. How lovely.

MarkusRJR

Does anyone know which Windows Phone 8 device has the best audio quality? I want to retire my Cowon MP3 player but no phone I've owned/tried has had good enough audio quality.
There has been no indication that there are any limitations as far as I know
Someone linked me this. It says that some apps and features will be unavailable for devices with less than 1gb.

Commodore

why can't i preorder from the att site?

Talked to a chat rep, said the phone is still being updated on the site. Said to check back in an hour or in the morning I suppose. But I'm so doped up with election results, and speeches and new phones that I can't think about sleeping right now.

Troll

Banned
Talked to a chat rep, said the phone is still being updated on the site. Said to check back in an hour or in the morning I suppose. But I so doped up with election results, and speeches and new phones that I can't think about sleeping right now.

Fine, I'll try when I wake up then.

frontieruk

The biggest Android phone thread is currently the Samsung Galaxy S III thread, which isn't a phone most people would associate with custom ROMs. And the biggest phone thread period on GAF is the iPhone 5 thread, a phone which will never have a custom ROM. Believe it not, when a phone is big, there's lots to talk about besides custom ROMs.

I don't even inhabit the GSIII or iP5 threads, I just see them on the front page of OT all the time.

you're forgetting that iOS generally gets all the coolest apps first thus keeping discussion going, they probably use the latest phone thread to chat about them as gaf is full of early adopters and why repost the same chat about an app in threads for the 4/4s/5 when theyll all run them, keep an active community you'll get noticed.

as to the gs3 they were probably happy with the UK ruling about copying Apple which stands euro wide.

Does anyone know which Windows Phone 8 device has the best audio quality? I want to retire my Cowon MP3 player but no phone I've owned/tried has had good enough audio quality.

no info on the DACs in the handsets, i believe the Nokia's has a system wide EQ where the HTC's has Beats audio with the 8x also having an extra amp to drive higher quality earphones to their potential, which can actually be a deafening experience :-(

Commodore

THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOO!

Finally got through! Strangely had to stop trying on Chrome after being told to clear cookies, and not getting through, to jumping to Internet Explorer of all things and it steered me clear to pre-order a cyan 920. Shipping on the 8th. Didn't see an option online during checkout to snag the free charging pad, anyone know how that's supposed to go down?

e: guessing I'll go here http://nokiafreecharger.com/pages/holding on the 16th to redeem my order. Ok, now I can rest easy.

DgzYo.gif

I wonder if the Microsoft online store will be carrying the 920 soon. I have a $25 gift certificate from buying Halo 4 from them.

OT: I am curious, did you already get that Gift Cert? I am pretty piss off at them right now, I preorder couple game last week and never got the gift card nor the discount coupon. I called several times and keep getting run around, so I told them this morning I am going to return them and give me back my money.

The customer service was like "well how about I send it to you now", I told him to go take a hike at this point, it was my third or forth call to them. I told him you just told me it will take another week for the "electronic coupon" but then suddenly after I told him I want refund it was going to be send now. WTF!@!! Microsoft.

I am going to get up early and go to At&t store.

I heard if you are able to choose both black and white options at the same time, you get the secret grey color.
Ugh, I hate that it's going to take a while. Not that I'm going to buy one. Probably whatever comes after the 920. Should Nokia be still around. lol

I don't.

Maybe I could use Kickstarter for my $770 "Photography Project".

Or maybe I'll just get drunk and do silly dances in the street for some change.

Totally worth it. Don't forget to put the video up on youtube. "Milchjon doin' the Lumia 920 dance!".

I can't decide what color to pre-order ... I like cyan on 900 but would like difference color. I think I will go with that glossy red (yellow not shipping until 11/14)!

edit: bah, preorder buttons still not working. Going to stop by the store in the morning.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My email confirmation says I should get the cyan by the 9th. I'm not holding my breath, I'd guess next Monday since I had to have it shipped to my job.

Bullza2o

Looking at the order page on my account, it says I ordered a Nokia Lumia 920 and a "replacement microSIM card for iPad." Also, it's backordered. Hopefully this just means they haven't updated their inventory numbers. Delivery is still estimated for 11/9 when I got the order confirmation email.

PG2G

Looking at the order page on my account, it says I ordered a Nokia Lumia 920 and a "replacement microSIM card for iPad." Also, it's backordered. Hopefully this just means they haven't updated their inventory numbers. Delivery is still estimated for 11/9 when I got the order confirmation email.

Same here. I'll give them some time to actually get going before I start throwing chairs :D

Edit: Damn, one of my female coworkers posted on FB that she can't wait for it to be Friday so she can get her new Windows Phone. Amazing, I didn't even have to do any promoting. Maybe things will do all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom