• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazinova

Went to the Microsoft Pop Up where I got my Surface and while picking up Halo 4 I asked about the 920. They say they'll have everycolor in the store, so I told them to hold a Cyan and a Red for me and the lady. They claim I'll be able to waltz in on Friday and snag them whenever, we shall see. I don't trust fate that much.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Where is this 450$?

On the att website.

Welcome back aboard the hype train. I am glad we don't have to leave another one of our comrade behind.

Thanks. I hope you get the red or the rare yellow so we can have some variety in colors for the thread.

Excellent!

I'm so excited, its crazy that I was dreading the decision to buy a N4, now I won't have to do it. My wife's 900 is amazing to look at and hold, now I get to have my own Lumia. Nothing against Android, but I wasn't ready to switch platforms.

It wouldn't be the same without you.

Yeah, this is my favorite thread on gaf and the regulars here are amazing, would've sucked to leave. Although I could've pulled a brotkasten and just hung around anyway, its not the same.

Speaking of brot: is that wp8 OT ready yet?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So the Verge has confirmed what we already know that iOS and Android will be getting Office. Now they can be even harder on the WP ecosystem :p

Blackhead

Redarse
So the Verge has confirmed what we already know that iOS and Android will be getting Office. Now they can be even harder on the WP ecosystem :p
:/
the Verge didn't mention Office at all in their Lumia 920 review, despite the improvements made to that suite, so it would be even more hypocritical if they use the iOS/Android ports as a cudgel to beat up the WP ecosystem in future reviews.

The timing of this leak from the Microsoft camp is unfortunate; comments in theVerge article are already claiming this is a reason not to buy a WP8 device

Milchjon

The Verge never cared about Office on WP because they use Google Docs.

Ironically, those shots of Office look better already than what Apple has done in recent months :-D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
the Verge didn't mention Office at all in their Lumia 920 review, despite the improvements made to that suite, so it would be even more hypocritical if they use the iOS/Android ports as a cudgel to beat up the WP ecosystem in future reviews.

The timing of this leak from the Microsoft camp is unfortunate; comments in theVerge article are already claiming this is a reason not to buy a WP8 device

:lol those same people surely didn't give a shit before imagine. Like it was said above, if it requires a 365 sub, not a big deal.

MarkusRJR

I just noticed something as I was browsing the marketplace... There's no Peggle for WP. Get on that shit, Popcap. It's probably by favorite mobile game. It's available on pretty much every device ever so I was surprised to not see it on the store.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

To be fair though a lot of the stuff you'd assume MS would push their device with like Smart Glass or Office are all getting ported to Android or iOS. What are people suppose to say or think? A lot of the stuff MS could leverage the platform on just ends up getting ported in some shape or fashion.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So do you not get the free wireless charging plate if you are buying off contract/no-commitment? Bummer.

I think you can still get it from Nokia. At least, that's what I'm going to be attempting next week when I get my phone. Someone posted a link in the last page.

Edit: brettison, the same can be said for Google and that hasn't hurt them. I prefer that open and cross platform approach rather than the apple philosophy. As long as MS leads on windows phone and we get a better version, either through exclusive features or better integration because it's native, a la google on android, I'm fine with it.

Izuna

Banned
no phones4u, i do not want an 820 :(

best be in on friday, i swear!

I'm ordering mine from AT&T to a friend and he'll send it via air mail. I dunno if it'll work exactly but, apparently you can buy an unlock code for about $99 (so roughly £50).

Americans get this phone so cheap, and in ALL colours. Grr. Grr. Grr.

Grr.

scently

So if I buy this phone can I use it on a network outside the USA? I ask because I don't live in th US but would like to buy it from AT&T as it is much cheaper than in Europe.

Went to the Microsoft Pop Up where I got my Surface and while picking up Halo 4 I asked about the 920. They say they'll have everycolor in the store, so I told them to hold a Cyan and a Red for me and the lady. They claim I'll be able to waltz in on Friday and snag them whenever, we shall see. I don't trust fate that much.

You will be fine, this is not Apple's products. By the way went by one of the pop up store last week ... was kind of disappointing. All they have are bunch of Surface....

Raistlin

I posted this in the Nokia thread, but figured I should share here as well.

I stopped at an AT&T store this morning, and there seems to be a lot of confusion about how this is going to work. They expect to know more Friday, but this is what I gleaned:

• They are not taking pre-orders at the store - it must be done online

• He thinks that the free charger deal is actually if you purchase the phone on the 9th or later. So pre-ordering may actually screw you from getting one.

• He's not actually sure how the free charger is redeemed, particularly for online orders

• It sounds like the charger is black

• They weren't actually sure what colors will be stocked on Friday. The press seems to indicate cyan and yellow are online-only, but they have no idea. Essentially they'll know more on Friday

As far as the clerks are concerned, AT&T/Nokia have been very 'secretive' about this. In other words, it's been a clusterfuck in terms of organization. That's especially lame given how long the product has been ready. They really seem to have dropped the ball in terms of coordination here.

thirty

Banned
pre-ordered a cyan. $450 was too hard to resist. it is a non committal price so that means you still have to sign up for a plan, one month minimum. then you can cancel and go with straight talk wireless.

Troll

Banned
pre-ordered a cyan. $450 was too hard to resist. it is a non committal price so that means you still have to sign up for a plan, one month minimum. then you can cancel and go with straight talk wireless.

What phone are you coming from?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think you can still get it from Nokia. At least, that's what I'm going to be attempting next week when I get my phone. Someone posted a link in the last page.

Edit: brettison, the same can be said for Google and that hasn't hurt them. I prefer that open and cross platform approach rather than the apple philosophy. As long as MS leads on windows phone and we get a better version, either through exclusive features or better integration because it's native, a la google on android, I'm fine with it.

Google needs people to be tied into their services as they still are at their core an ad revenue company. Plus while they have put stuff on iOS they have't ported everything to iOS, and they are still leaving WP out in the cold (at least until now).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google needs people to be tied into their services as they still are at their core an ad revenue company. Plus while they have put stuff on iOS they have't ported everything to iOS, and they are still leaving WP out in the cold (at least until now).

MS is transitioning into an ecosystem-peddling services and devices company. I think you are being hypocritical by giving Google a free pass here. Two of Google's main services are Gmail and the calendar, and they integrate beautiflly on any platform. They also put a lot of effort on their web apps to expand their usability cross platform. Everything just works slightly better on android.

I think that's a good model for MS. We all agreed that Zune needed to be cross platform, I feel the same way for office. It'll be better on WP because it's native and seamless.

If MS' phone markets share grows, we will get the dedicated Google apps, its not some weird scheme against MS. They already have a nice app on win8.

Firestorm

Are you in the US or Canada?

To be fair though a lot of the stuff you'd assume MS would push their device with like Smart Glass or Office are all getting ported to Android or iOS. What are people suppose to say or think? A lot of the stuff MS could leverage the platform on just ends up getting ported in some shape or fashion.

Making those (paid) services exclusive to Windows Phone would mean they'd have to ignore pretty much 95% of the mobile market (and I'm being generous here). It makes no sense at all. You also shouldn't forget that those services are mostly just nice, but nothing to be excited about. Xbox Music? One of many services. Office? Those whims at the Verge swear at Google Docs and they're not alone. SmartGlass? Neat, but I've never, ever buy a Windows tablet for that. 7 GB of SkyDrive? Please, everyone got a Dropbox. Xbox Live Games? More like "2 year old iOS ports".

None of the things I mentioned would move any units.

so what the general consensus?

is the 8X just as good as the 920 or does the 920 blow it out of the water. I'm trying to wrap my mind around all these reviews and its getting real hard to follow.

derFeef

I guess if you do like the 8X design, do not care about Nokia software (Maps 3.0) and features (camera, charging, screen, resolution, etc.), and do not mind the smaller internal memory, then why not go with the 8X?

venne

is the 8X just as good as the 920 or does the 920 blow it out of the water. I'm trying to wrap my mind around all these reviews and its getting real hard to follow.

The 8X is just as good as the 920 if you're still butthurt that Nokia went with Windows Phone.

Otherwise, the 920 smokes it.

TylerD

So just buy them on the ATT website and the wireless chargers are automatically included?

For me it was after selecting a cyan 920 there was a popup in between pages explaining that you add a black wireless charging plate on the accessory page. When I checked out the only thing that was charged for was the phone and activation.

$99 for a 920 with charging plate is a sick deal. If they dont sell a ton of them (a lot more) than other WPs so far then they might as well give up.

OT: I am curious, did you already get that Gift Cert? I am pretty piss off at them right now, I preorder couple game last week and never got the gift card nor the discount coupon. I called several times and keep getting run around, so I told them this morning I am going to return them and give me back my money.

The customer service was like "well how about I send it to you now", I told him to go take a hike at this point, it was my third or forth call to them. I told him you just told me it will take another week for the "electronic coupon" but then suddenly after I told him I want refund it was going to be send now. WTF!@!! Microsoft.

I am going to get up early and go to At&t store.

When I ordered Halo 4, they were pretty clear that the $25 coupon would be coming by email on 11/9. So I'd wait a bit before freaking out, if we are indeed talking about the same deal.

Commodore

For me it was after selecting a cyan 920 there was a popup in between pages explaining that you add a black wireless charging plate on the accessory page. When I checked out the only thing that was charged for was the phone and activation.

$99 for a 920 with charging plate is a sick deal. If they dont sell a ton of them (a lot more) than other WPs so far then they might as well give up.

Wat. That didn't happen to me. Better get one.

frontieruk

Depends where in the world you are, if you're in the USA if you don't take a 920 you're making a mistake as its aggressively priced, if you're in Europe not so much and if you're in the UK get the 8x or wait it out, EE can't have it as an exclusive for long and not be pushing the device.

The 8X is just as good as the 920 if you're still butthurt that Nokia went with Windows Phone.

Otherwise, the 920 smokes it.

Did I just walk in to an android thread???

venne

duhhh...what?

Nokia tried too hard by having a better camera than the 8X.

And a better screen.

And better build quality.

And better battery life.

And more internal storage.

And better software.

To be fair, the 8X seems to have a better FFC and it's great that it has headphone amp. But that's about it.

If the price is the close where you live, it's not a contest.

Depends where in the world you are, if you're in the USA if you don't take a 920 you're making a mistake as its aggressively priced, if you're in Europe not so much and if you're in the UK get the 8x or wait it out, EE can't have it as an exclusive for long and not be pushing the device.

Did I just walk in to an android thread???

yea but my carrier does not support the 920 unless its a dev one and those are going for $800+...im not looking to change carriers cause im still on contract and i got a good deal on my plan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom