• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

venne

I see my wife's Data Pro 2 GB plan has been replaced with Data Pro 2 GB for 4G LTE when I go through the upgrade stuff. They have a SKU# listed as 118190042 for this plan.

Is it possible to get AT&T to use that SKU to add that plan to a different line?

If that's the case, anyone have the SKU for unlimited data?

NeOak

Quoting myself for the second time. Pleeeasee GAF HELP.

Yes, it works. Europe uses 3G on 2100 Mhz. No LTE though.

I see my wife's Data Pro 2 GB plan has been replaced with Data Pro 2 GB for 4G LTE when I go through the upgrade stuff. They have a SKU# listed as 118190042 for this plan.

Is it possible to get AT&T to use that SKU to add that plan to a different line?

If that's the case, anyone have the SKU for unlimited data?

You can't add unlimited. The system doesn't allow it unless its overridden with an authorization by a supervisor.

zatara

it boggles my mind that att is charging $450 for the 920 off contract, and Verizon has the gall to charge $550 for the 822 off contract, if I didn't have unlimited data i'd jump off Verizon asap.

f0lken

I assume the 920 unsubsidized on AT&Ts site isnt unlocked?

Eh. How do you figure?

I'd say is an even deal

Nexus 4 8GB = $300
Nexus 4 16GB = $350

Lumia 920 32GB plus LTE and a camera with OIS = $450

Talking only about hardware you are getting more with the Lumia so it makes sense it is more expensive, the Nexus is one hell of a deal tough.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Nokia's handling of the 920 release here in the UK is a joke. Poor form

Anyway, I'm currently using a Lumia 800, does anyone know if it's possible to reduce the size of the "Time, day & Date" font on the wallpaper (lock) screen?

If anyone's a fan of TMNT 1, I have a nice wallpaper :)

giga

I'd say is an even deal

Nexus 4 8GB = $300
Nexus 4 16GB = $350

Lumia 920 32GB plus LTE and a camera with OIS = $450

Talking only about hardware you are getting more with the Lumia so it makes sense it is more expensive, the Nexus is one hell of a deal tough.
I would agree with the first if the 920 was unlocked.

Hardware I would call an even trade off since the N4 does have an APQ8064 and not the 8960.

Totakeke

Meh processors.

16GB -> 32GB = $50 extra
LTE = $50-100 extra
Laundry list of improvements = Trying too hard
Best low light camera in the world = Priceless

f0lken

One thing is true tough, from now on every phone that is the usual $600 or even more unsubsidized will be more a ripoff than ever before

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The iPhone is one of the best phones to buy value-wise if you upgrade every year tbh. One year later, it retains its value much better than any other phone.

This is true, good point. I was shocked by how much I got for my wife's 3gs on Ebay two years ago.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That said, I don't think you save much in the long run with the high price. So, let's say that I can only get $200 for my Lumia 920 next year. So I lost more than half its value in a year, $250. If the next Lumia is priced at $450, then I have to make up a $250 difference. (BTW, I'm doing the value thing based on how much I'm getting for my Focus S, maybe the Nokia will retain value slightly better).

Then suppose I pay $700 for the iPhone 5, and it retains MOST of its value, so it's worth $400 a year for now, it's more of an out of pocket cost for next year's iPhone. And I was being generous with the iPhone value and punitive with the Lumia 920 value.

So, I take it back, I disagree that for yearly upgrade people, iPhone is best.

Commodore

Whoa whoa whoa, the wireless charging pads are sold out? Hearing reports all over the place, some say the pad is included automatically with purchase, others that you have to track the pad down in the accessories section when ordering, I looked and couldn't find it. Not cool if I've missed a chance to snag one for free and I ordered late last night right when they were available.

http://www.zdnet.com/at-and-t-nokia...ave-sold-out-in-less-than-6-hours-7000007045/

thirty

Banned
Whoa whoa whoa, the wireless charging pads are sold out? Hearing reports all over the place, some say the pad is included automatically with purchase, others that you have to track the pad down in the accessories section when ordering, I looked and couldn't find it. Not cool if I've missed a chance to snag one for free and I ordered late last night right when they were available.

http://www.zdnet.com/at-and-t-nokia...ave-sold-out-in-less-than-6-hours-7000007045/
u didn't want that witch craft on your desk anyway

Commodore

u didn't want that witch craft on your desk anyway

Hell yes, I love me some good desktop witchcraft. AT&T chat rep just said it was included automatically with an order, and it will come with the phone if there were inventory still in stock. I snagged it as soon as the phone was on the site, might have a good chance then. Time to play the wait and see game. fingers and toes crossed!

thirty

Banned
Hell yes, I love me some good desktop witchcraft. AT&T chat rep just said it was included automatically with an order, and it will come with the phone if there were inventory still in stock. I snagged it as soon as the phone was on the site, might have a good chance then. Time to play the wait and see game. fingers and toes crossed!
yeah I'm in the boat, wait and see. I ordered this morning though. while placing the order I searched for the charger but found nothing. if att includes it that means it won't be on the receipt which will mean I also qualify for the nokia offer. if the charger isn't sent automatically i could call att and say I spoke to a rep who said they'd be mailed out automatically and boom, a free charger. then use my receipt that shows just the phone and use that for the nokia deal, double boom.

Izuna

Banned
Okay, finally.

I have some answers.

I was about to order an AT&T Matte Cyan Lumia 920 with my friend who is in the USA to ship it to the UK, but I noticed a problem. GSM is Petaband, but AT&T's Lumia 920 only supports 4G/LTE at the frequencies "700MHz" (Band 17) and "2100/1700MHz" (Band 4).

Okay fair enough, I thought.

EE in the UK dish out their 4G/LTE signal on an old TV frequency "1800MHz" (Band 3) and later carriers will offer 4G/LTE signal at "800MHz" (Band 20).

Now obviously, the AT&T Lumia 920 will not work with UK 4G/LTE networks but it will work with 3G (which isn't the end of the world).

I got curious and popped in my girlfriend's au (Japanese CDMA network) phone's IMEI number and, with a long time searching, found out that Japan dishes out LTE with the popular frequency "2100MHz" (Band 1).

--

EE's boring Black & White Lumia 920s are supposed to be Petaband (all GSM) as well as offer compatibility with the following frequencies: "800 / 1800 / 2600 / 2100 / 900"

^ -- in other words, with the exception of the USA and Canada, the phone EE was supposed to be offering was supposed to be absolutely amazing as it would work in the UK and Japan on LTE. Pretty badarse, and if I had known I would say "worth the wait".

There's now only one problem with waiting.

Where is Matte Cyan in the UK?

=/ pfft, I don't mind waiting another month (2 would be stretching it) if I got a very convenient phone.

cube444

Can't wait for iPhone 6 "The cheapest thing that happenned to the iPhone since the iPhone"

It won't happen

You may recall that I paid $820 for a 32GB iPhone 5 and when you look at my non-subsidized price of $497 (with taxes) you see that Nokia is pricing their device very competitively to try to gain customers. At $99.99 for a 2-year contract price, I hope Nokia is getting a good carrier subsidy or else they won't make money and will have a tougher time staying competitive. Then again, they need mind share to gain market share so that may be a risk they are willing to take.

Link

cube444

nJYy1.jpg

Magni

Okay, finally.

I have some answers.

I was about to order an AT&T Matte Cyan Lumia 920 with my friend who is in the USA to ship it to the UK, but I noticed a problem. GSM is Petaband, but AT&T's Lumia 920 only supports 4G/LTE at the frequencies "700MHz" (Band 17) and "2100/1700MHz" (Band 4).

EE in the UK dish out their 4G/LTE signal on an old TV frequency "1800MHz" (Band 3) and later carriers will offer 4G/LTE signal at "800MHz" (Band 20).

Now obviously, the AT&T Lumia 920 will not work with UK 4G/LTE networks but it will work with 3G (which isn't the end of the world).

I got curious and popped in my girlfriend's au (Japanese CDMA network) phone's IMEI number and, with a long time searching, found out that Japan dishes out LTE with the popular frequency "2100MHz" (Band 1).

--

EE's boring Black & White Lumia 920s are supposed to be Petaband (all GSM) as well as offer compatibility with the following frequencies: "800 / 1800 / 2600 / 2100 / 900"

^ -- in other words, with the exception of the USA and Canada, the phone EE was supposed to be offering was supposed to be absolutely amazing as it would work in the UK and Japan on LTE. Pretty badarse, and if I had known I would say "worth the wait".

=/ pfft, I don't mind waiting another month (2 would be stretching it) if I got a very convenient phone.

So the US one won't work in Europe or Japan? I'm in the US now, moving back to France in a couple months until the end of the summer, and then I'm supposed to spend six months in SK followed by six months in Japan before coming back to the US after that. I want a phone that works at least on 3G in all those countries :(

Stop by At&t store, ask about 920, sale manager pull out his 900 and tell me he can't wait. They are not sure what color they are getting but he told me not to worry it's Windows Phone no one wants it so should be plenty for me to choose from. :-/

maeh2k

Okay, finally.

I have some answers.

--

I don't think comparing the bands alone is enough. When it's locked to AT&T, it's locked to AT&T and not just the bands AT&T uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom