• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

One of the biggest German news sites, spiegel.de, also complains about the weight and basically says it would be hard for iOS/Android users to get used to the logic of WP8. Apart from that, it's rather positive.

To add to shipping notification worries: I ordered my Cyan lumia around 10 AM CST yesterday. I get a company discount, so the order went through ATT Premier.

The Premier order status page said "Status: Attention" immediately after ordering it. Worried, I called ATT Premier, gave them the order info, and they said that it can take 24-48 hours after ordering for the status to update/give shipping notifications. She assured me there was nothing wrong with the order.

Still wish I could get a shipping notification, but someone else on GAF said they didn't get a shipping notification until the day it arrived.

Troll

Banned
I received my shipping notification about an hour ago. Should have it by 4:30 CST tomorrow afternoon.

It did say that they shipped part of the order and the rest would be shipped later. Box that it is coming in is 11x12x7 though so I am going to assume that both the plate and the phone will be in there and the shipped later stuff is related to my plan and doesn't really mean anything since I didn't have any issue with adding a plate from accessories and checking out.

I hope the part that ships later isn't your new micro sim, that would suck.

another exciting episode of scott's uk 920 hunt: phoned another phones4u in brighton today, said they'd have them in saturday. let's see. interestingly/another sign of absolutely no attention being put into this launch, the guy said it'd only be on vodaphone. first i've heard of that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really torn between the 8X and 920. I want colour, but Rogers is fucking me with a black only 920, whereas I can get the 8X in blue. Getting it from the states isn't an option. Think I need more impressions/comparisons between the devices.

Troll

Banned
I'm really torn between the 8X and 920. I want colour, but Rogers is fucking me with a black only 920, whereas I can get the 8X in blue. Getting it from the states isn't an option. Think I need more impressions/comparisons between the devices.

Then you can ask a mod to change your name to SCHUEY 8X

Am I going to be that one super-satisfied WP7 user in the thread? It doesn't look like I'm actually missing anything with this phone after four months. It doesn't look like I'm getting any upgrades anytime soon. Hmm...

Better hope 7.8 delivers.

TylerD

Am I going to be that one super-satisfied WP7 user in the thread? It doesn't look like I'm actually missing anything with this phone after four months. It doesn't look like I'm getting any upgrades anytime soon. Hmm...

I am very satisfied with WP7 but my contract is up and it is time to upgrade to something better than my Focus. It just so happens that the 920 release timing is pretty much perfect.

Heretic

I think i'm going to break down and switch to AT&T... I'm currently in a family plan and I pay just under $200 for 4 lines. 2 lines have unlimited talk, 4 lines have unlimited text, and 2 lines have unlimited data. I'm thinking of leaving the family plan and going solo. The t-mobile account is under my name so I might just leave it as it and have my family manage that while I switch.

Are the rumors of AT&T having the worst coverage true? I live in southern california. LA County to be exact so I'm thinking I'll be fine.

Oh and I also get a 24% discount every month because of my work if I went to AT&T

frontieruk

i was happy with wp7 i still have the hd7, titan and 710 and could quite happily swap back apart from the audio is hella better and the camera is so fricking quick on the 8x id miss it

I think i'm going to break down and switch to AT&T... I'm currently in a family plan and I pay just under $200 for 4 lines. 2 lines have unlimited talk, 4 lines have unlimited text, and 2 lines have unlimited data. I'm thinking of leaving the family plan and going solo. The t-mobile account is under my name so I might just leave it as it and have my family manage that while I switch.

Are the rumors of AT&T having the worst coverage true? I live in southern california. LA County to be exact so I'm thinking I'll be fine.

Oh and I also get a 24% discount every month because of my work if I went to AT&T

I have a family plan with At&t , four phones, all smartphone. All with unlimited talk and text (trust me you want this if you have teenage kids) with 6GB plan. I also get 24% discount and the total bill come out to around $235.00 a month for us. I am not sure how important unlimited data is to your family but it might be something to consider to move all to At&t. In my area the coverage is better than T-Mobile, plus they just put up LTE.

edit: I just saw that you mention that you live in So. Cal, I am not sure about LA area, my sister live in San Fernando Valley and she said At&t is pretty bad. I used to live north of LA (Palmdale / Lancaster) but back then we were Cingular (remember them?) You might want to see if you can try it out or ask co-worker that have At&t.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
To add to shipping notification worries: I ordered my Cyan lumia around 10 AM CST yesterday. I get a company discount, so the order went through ATT Premier.

The Premier order status page said "Status: Attention" immediately after ordering it. Worried, I called ATT Premier, gave them the order info, and they said that it can take 24-48 hours after ordering for the status to update/give shipping notifications. She assured me there was nothing wrong with the order.

Still wish I could get a shipping notification, but someone else on GAF said they didn't get a shipping notification until the day it arrived.

My order is through At&t premier as well and I have gotten the confirmation email saying I placed the order and the money has been taken from my account. I still don't have the shipping confirmation email though :(

edit: my order status is "preorder processing.

Can someone photoshop a bench press with 920s instead of weights on it?

1JTxA.jpg

Heretic

I have a family plan with At&t , four phones, all smartphone. All with unlimited talk and text (trust me you want this if you have teenage kids) with 6GB plan. I also get 24% discount and the total bill come out to around $235.00 a month for us. I am not sure how important unlimited data is to your family but it might be something to consider to move all to At&t. In my area the coverage is better than T-Mobile, plus they just put up LTE.

edit: I just saw that you mention that you live in So. Cal, I am not sure about LA area, my sister live in San Fernando Valley and she said At&t is pretty bad. I used to live north of LA (Palmdale / Lancaster) but back then we were Cingular (remember them?) You might want to see if you can try it out or ask co-worker that have At&t.

Problem is, we just renewed our 2 year contract because we got a really good deal (compared to what we had). I'm the only one with heavy data usage but I've been cutting back by using wifi as much as possible. At times we pay around $230 because of international calls so that price point is not that bad.

Just called t-mobile and they're charging us a cancellation fee of $200 per line haha. Looks like the 8x is in my future or if I can convince someone to take my line and I'll get a whole new number.

Milchjon

Idiotic phone behavior alert:

WMPoweruser said:
Want to stream some music from your Xbox Music cloud collection to your Windows Phone 8 device, over WiFi? Not so fast. You might end up eating through your data plan, like I just did.
The fundamental problem here is that Xbox Music is unable to switch to a different connection once it starts streaming – so if you start streaming via mobile data and then connect to WiFi later, it’ll continue to use the mobile data connection. But I’m at home, so my phone should be connected to my WiFi network already, right?

Wrong. One langstanding bug/annoyance in Windows Phone is that it turns off WiFi when the screen is locked. Which means that if you start streaming Xbox Music during those several seconds that it takes the phone to reconnect to the WiFi network, it will use the mobile data connection. And ignore the WiFi connection.

Now, this might sound like an edge case, and it may well be; all I know is that I already encountered this edge case twice: yesterday, just after I received my HTC 8X, and today. Thanks to this behavior, I’ve already used up my monthly data allotment of 200MB, which usually lasts me for at least half of the month.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix this issue (and add an option to keep WiFi alive when the screen is locked), but in the meantime, always make sure that your WP8 phone is already connected to a WiFi network before hitting that “play” button to stream music from the cloud.

frontieruk

frontieruk, how well does the Wordflow text prediction work? Does it increase your typing speed?

to be honest I've bot noticed any deference to wp7 it behaves the same way, the text selecting is a bit more temperamental but other than that if you've used wp7 you wont really notice much difference

Milchjon

to be honest I've bot noticed any deference to wp7 it behaves the same way, the text selecting is a bit more temperamental but other than that if you've used wp7 you wont really notice much difference

Weird, some Belfiore video showed some advanced prediction that didn't just rely on the letters you were typing, but also on the words you typed before.

Edit: here it is.

frontieruk

Ok I've honestly not noticed any difference, but if you guys want me to test it I'll borrow the iPhone 5 and video me typing a sentence of your choice on the titan and the 8x so you can watch for differences

Milchjon

Ok I've honestly not noticed any difference, but if you guys want me to test it I'll borrow the iPhone 5 and video me typing a sentence of your choice on the titan and the 8x so you can watch for differences

Haha, I don't think it's worth the hassle. Thanks anyway.

Or just enable Cellular data when you really need it. That's what I do.

I'd rather not have to think about that all the time.

maeh2k

frontieruk, how well does the Wordflow text prediction work? Does it increase your typing speed?

With this type of prediction system it's possible that it first has to learn how the user usually writes. I've read that SwiftKey (similar prediction for Android) isn't that great at the beginning but then you can let it learn from your facebook messages and other sources and it gets better.

frontieruk

With this type of prediction system it's possible that it first has to learn how the user usually writes. I've read that SwiftKey (similar prediction for Android) isn't that great at the beginning but then you can let it learn from your facebook messages and other sources and it gets better.

that could explain why I feel it's the same as wp7

Commodore

My order is through At&t premier as well and I have gotten the confirmation email saying I placed the order and the money has been taken from my account. I still don't have the shipping confirmation email though :(

edit: my order status is "preorder processing.

Mine's at shipment pending. Still one step ahead! Been expecting the shipment status notification all day and nada. Also just got part time job working at a local retailer selling small electronics. Looks like I'll be selling some Verizon phones over the holidays given the selection they are bringing in. I'll be sure to let customers know how much I wish Verizons Windows Phones had Android as well as informing them of an app store that only has like a hundred apps.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mine's at shipment pending. Still one step ahead! Been expecting the shipment status notification all day and nada. Also just got part time job working at a local retailer selling small electronics. Looks like I'll be selling some Verizon phones over the holidays given the selection they are bringing in. I'll be sure to let customers know how much I wish Verizons Windows Phones had Android as well as informing them of an app store that only has like a hundred apps.

Be sure to let the customers know that the Droid Razor Maxx HD doesn't try too hard, cause its laid back and cool, unlike Nokia windows phones.

Commodore

Make sure they know that they'll take better pictures on Androids and iPhones if they're really dumb.

"How smart are you sir?"

"I'm pretty smart"

"Well this HTC 8X's camera is too easy to use, and you won't find an app that will complicate it up on Windows Phone app store."

Gav

Long shot, but does anyone in the UK know the Vodafone MMS apn settings?
Anything i find online doesnt have the right data for the input boxes on WP8.

frontieruk

Long shot, but does anyone in the UK know the Vodafone MMS apn settings?
Anything i find online doesnt have the right data for the input boxes on WP8.

if you've got a HTC use the HTC Connection thing it'll pull the settings from the SIM

if not my best guess is

APN
If you're on a pay monthly price plan:
Key in wap.vodafone.co.uk
If you're on a pay as you go price plan:
Key in pp.vodafone.co.uk

Username
wap

Password
wap

MMSC (url) http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMSC Port 8799

I'd leave the IP setting as it looks like it chooses the right setting by default

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How is your 8X holding up so far. On the WP Central forum some people were complaining about the polycarbonate body not holding up and light leakage from the screen?

Gav

How is your 8X holding up so far. On the WP Central forum some people were complaining about the polycarbonate body not holding up and light leakage from the screen?

Not had any issues like that with my 8X. The screen is great, and i havent noticed any light leakage anywhere.
No issues with the body not holding up either. Its either been sat on a desk or in my pocket when walking around - and sometimes when climbing around a building site, still seems rock solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom