• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

I don't think comparing the bands alone is enough. When it's locked to AT&T, it's locked to AT&T and not just the bands AT&T uses.

at&t use Sims right? As long as they do the phone can be unlocked from the network to be used on others, its why we swap and change networks so freely in Europe

at&t use Sims right? As long as they do the phone can be unlocked from the network to be used on others, its why we swap and change networks so freely in Europe

The rumors go that the AT&T 920s are shipping unlocked. Don't quote me on this. Most of the time AT&T phones ship SIM-locked and you have to wait some time before they'll give you the unlock code.

Izuna

Banned
So the US one won't work in Europe or Japan? I'm in the US now, moving back to France in a couple months until the end of the summer, and then I'm supposed to spend six months in SK followed by six months in Japan before coming back to the US after that. I want a phone that works at least on 3G in all those countries :(

3G should be okay because its GSM is quad-band. When you go to Japan you should try your best to get a Softbank sim (you might have to get a friend with a Softbank phone to ask for a sim or buy a cheap one and take it out). The problem is I think ONLY Softbank will work, not au (which is what my girlfriend uses, CDMA).

I don't think comparing the bands alone is enough. When it's locked to AT&T, it's locked to AT&T and not just the bands AT&T uses.

If the phone is locked to AT&T sims it's not much of a problem. We can already pay to unlock the phone online and even then, we have the choice of using those unlock sim thingies.

The rumors go that the AT&T 920s are shipping unlocked. Don't quote me on this. Most of the time AT&T phones ship SIM-locked and you have to wait some time before they'll give you the unlock code.

I wonder if all of the phones being unlocked is part of the problem with it shipping? What if they're all petaband?

EDIT: have to be careful typing quad-band instead of petaband... totally different terms

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Did a test run of what I would pay monthly and what id actually have to pay tomorrow for the Lumia and its $70 a month for 450 minutes and 3gb data, $135 for the phone. Not bad. And I think I'll get better coverage here with ATT vs Tmobile. I am excite.

SeanR1221

Heh, I was just going to ask if MS had a find my phone feature and there it is on the webpage.

So, here is my long breakdown of what I use the 4 for, and how the 920 will compare.

PHONE
- Haven't heard any complaints about the 920's call quality, so I should be good.

MAIL
- I use two gmail accounts on the stock apple mail app. Once again, I should be fine here

TEXT
- Emoji was my main concern and it's there :)

INTERNET
- Haven't heard any complaints about IE 10. And IE 10 on my Yoga works great.

SPOTIFY
- Might have a problem here. Some of you guys were saying it's on WP7 but doesn't work on WP8? Odd. I use Spotify every day while driving to clients.

CAMERA
- The 920 will beat my 4 in every way

CALENDAR
- As long as it syncs to my Yoga we're good

PULSE
- It looks like they got rid of the App in favor of the web app? Odd, but I'll pin it to the start

FACEBOOK
- My main concerns were tagging a person and location in a status and liking comments within comments (INCEPTION), not just an initial comment made. You guys cleared that up for me.

TWITTER
- Is the official app still kind of bad?

YouTube
- Metrotube it is

KIK
- Taking a chance here. I hope the notification system was fixed from WP7. On WP7 I'd get the toast but wouldn't have any number notification on the tile

MAPS
- No contest lol

4SQUARE
- I heard 4th and mayor is better than the official app

INSTAGRAM, FITOCRACY, MINT, DROPBOX
- I'll miss you guys :( At least Mint is coming soon and I'm sure the same can be said for Dropbox. Fitocracy isn't on Android and who knows with Instagram.

GAMES
- Yes, there are less games, but I'm spinning this as a positive. As long as WP8 gets the big releases I'm happy. Having achievements is a huge plus for me, and I will get out of that iOS mentality of own tons of games and barely play them.

UI FEATURES
- Take screen shots (check)
- Cloud backup and restore (check)
- Over the air updates (check)

I think I got everything.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I use kickbox as my dropbox client and it works fine, but honestly, I have started to migrate my files to SkyDrive.

Fantastic phone integration, windows 8 integration, and the iPad app and win7 desktop apps are good too. Dropbox seems redundant now.

I use kickbox as my dropbox client and it works fine, but honestly, I have started to migrate my files to SkyDrive.

Fantastic phone integration, windows 8 integration, and the iPad app and win7 desktop apps are good too. Dropbox seems redundant now.

I need Dropbox for work, so I just put my Dropbox folder into my Skydrive folder.

frontieruk

Heh, I was just going to ask if MS had a find my phone feature and there it is on the webpage.

So, here is my long breakdown of what I use the 4 for, and how the 920 will compare.

PHONE
- Haven't heard any complaints about the 920's call quality, so I should be good.

MAIL
- I use two gmail accounts on the stock apple mail app. Once again, I should be fine here

TEXT
- Emoji was my main concern and it's there :)

INTERNET
- Haven't heard any complaints about IE 10. And IE 10 on my Yoga works great.

SPOTIFY
- Might have a problem here. Some of you guys were saying it's on WP7 but doesn't work on WP8? Odd. I use Spotify every day while driving to clients.

CAMERA
- The 920 will beat my 4 in every way

CALENDAR
- As long as it syncs to my Yoga we're good

PULSE
- It looks like they got rid of the App in favor of the web app? Odd, but I'll pin it to the start

FACEBOOK
- My main concerns were tagging a person and location in a status and liking comments within comments (INCEPTION), not just an initial comment made. You guys cleared that up for me.

TWITTER
- Is the official app still kind of bad?

YouTube
- Metrotube it is

KIK
- Taking a chance here. I hope the notification system was fixed from WP7. On WP7 I'd get the toast but wouldn't have any number notification on the tile

MAPS
- No contest lol

4SQUARE
- I heard 4th and mayor is better than the official app

INSTAGRAM, FITOCRACY, MINT, DROPBOX
- I'll miss you guys :( At least Mint is coming soon and I'm sure the same can be said for Dropbox. Fitocracy isn't on Android and who knows with Instagram.

GAMES
- Yes, there are less games, but I'm spinning this as a positive. As long as WP8 gets the big releases I'm happy. Having achievements is a huge plus for me, and I will get out of that iOS mentality of own tons of games and barely play them.

UI FEATURES
- Take screen shots (check)
- Cloud backup and restore (check)
- Over the air updates (check)

I think I got everything.

TWITTER
- Is the official app still kind of bad? yup mehdoh/rowi/ some other twitter app will own it hard

KIK
- Taking a chance here. I hope the notification system was fixed from WP7. On WP7 I'd get the toast but wouldn't have any number notification on the tile :- can't say but I'm sure the notifications are working better on wp8 on whatsapp

NSTAGRAM, FITOCRACY, MINT, DROPBOX

Well there is always skydrive or BOX both have desktop clients and work well on the handset

MarkusRJR

Are there any memory utilities for WP7 which will tell me where my memory is going? I'm trying to figure out if I can live with the 8S only having 4gb (probably 2 or 3 gigs actually available). I'm using a Lumia 610 right now and I've gone through all 6.5 or so available gigs but I'm not sure what amount I'd be using minus the music from my Zune Pass and Nokia's offline maps. I might be able to deal with the 4gb in the 8S since I'll be tossing all of the Xbox Music songs onto my 32gb microSD card.

I really want a breakdown of what's on my device. :p

Are there any memory utilities for WP7 which will tell me where my memory is going? I'm trying to figure out if I can live with the 8S only having 4gb (probably 2 or 3 gigs actually available). I'm using a Lumia 610 right now and I've gone through all 6.5 or so available gigs but I'm not sure what amount I'd be using minus the music from my Zune Pass and Nokia's offline maps. I might be able to deal with the 4gb in the 8S since I'll be tossing all of the Xbox Music songs onto my 32gb microSD card.

Plug it into your PC, open Zune, click on the phone in the lower left corner and should see a breakdown.

I am pretty sure 8S has SD card support (up to 32GB). Though I am not sure how SD Card work in Windows Phone 8. (If it get format and merge with onboard memory or if it's like Surface where it's essentially like an external drive).

MarkusRJR

I am pretty sure 8S has SD card support (up to 32GB). Though I am not sure how SD Card work in Windows Phone 8. (If it get format and merge with onboard memory or if it's like Surface where it's essentially like an external drive).
From what I've heard it just holds media and you can't have apps on a microSD card.

I'd be all over the 8S if it had 8gb like the Lumia 820. I'm planning to buy a ton of WP7 games I couldn't play on my 610 (Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birda, Hydro Thunder, etc) so I wanted to make sure I'd have enough room.

PG2G

From what I've heard it just holds media and you can't have apps on a microSD card.

I'd be all over the 8S if it had 8gb like the Lumia 820. I'm planning to buy a ton of WP7 games I couldn't play on my 610 (Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birda, Hydro Thunder, etc) so I wanted to make sure I'd have enough room.

If you plan on buying a lot of games, I'd probably be wary of having such limited memory. Games are, by far, the largest apps. With the platform having more modern specs (HD res, better CPU/GPU) we'll probably only see them get larger.

Infinity Blade 2 on iOS is.. 1.03 gigs, for example. That supports an even higher resolution though.

MCD

http://www.wpcentral.com/angry-birds-star-wars-arrives-xbox-windows-phone-8-timely-fashion

Today Windows Phone Angry Birds fans discovered even better news. Angry Birds Star Wars, first announced for Windows Phone alongside every other version on October 8, has just launched for Xbox on Windows Phone 8. That’s right, day and date with the iOS and Android versions! That’s a far cry from the days when Rovio almost couldn’t be bothered to even announce a WP version, let alone support WP7 Angry Birds with the same updates as the other platforms.

Guys...GUYS

We are being noticed...

UberTag

5% market share or less sounds like a good excuse, if you ask me.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, really.
5% market share (which actually sounds high to me) won't get any bigger if you're always playing catch up to the Android & iOS marketplaces.
Be it for apps or games.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, really.
5% market share (which actually sounds high to me) won't get any bigger if you're always playing catch up to the Android & iOS marketplaces.
Be it for apps or games.

maybe they should release the sdk before the phones next time.

zorbsie

Anyone know what folder I have to create to manually put podcasts on my 920? I live in Canada so the podcasts button doesn't show up on my marketplace. I've used the podcasts! app to download podcasts to the phone but they don't appear under the podcast section of xbox music. I have to run the app to listen to podcast. I was fine with the app solution, until I tried to play a game while listening to a podcast. The podcast stops when the game starts. I've copied over podcasts manually before but the phone keeps putting them under the music category. This is turning into a real bummer. I'm one step away from loading up itunes to manage podcasts on my WP8 phone, madness.

Gaspode_T

It is entirely possible that Windows 8 will pump some sort of nitro into Windows Phone 8 success

I am living in Japan and no WP8 in Japan in 2012 but I ordered a phone from AT and T for my mom in the states...should arrive to her sometime today or tomorrow, I am excited to hear how she likes it because she uses a an older pay as you go phone right now...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I was playing with a 610 the other day in Best Buy. I think it is a nice little device. 8S o r810 would be a nice upgrade though.

frontieruk

http://db.tt/QgN1a70L

Settings / about / storage /phone

TylerD

Still haven't received my confirmation email. Stop playing games with my heart at&t!

I received my shipping notification about an hour ago. Should have it by 4:30 CST tomorrow afternoon.

It did say that they shipped part of the order and the rest would be shipped later. Box that it is coming in is 11x12x7 though so I am going to assume that both the plate and the phone will be in there and the shipped later stuff is related to my plan and doesn't really mean anything since I didn't have any issue with adding a plate from accessories and checking out.

thirty

Banned
more new lumia 920 vids hitting youtube and probably the most impressive video showcasing rich recording and low light recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_CcV_s-FYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmw7kOcem30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAANv7pB3fI

these vids are so good i was thinking they're fake and shot with a dslr or maybe assisted with a lighting device but no. there is no external light assist and some parts of the video you will see the guys shadow clearly showing his hand and phone. wow, impressive.

Troll

Banned
I received my shipping notification about an hour ago. Should have it by 4:30 CST tomorrow afternoon.

It did say that they shipped part of the order and the rest would be shipped later. Box that it is coming in is 11x12x7 though so I am going to assume that both the plate and the phone will be in there and the shipped later stuff is related to my plan and doesn't really mean anything since I didn't have any issue with adding a plate from accessories and checking out.

Nice! Both of my orders are finally showing up, so I should be good for tomorrow (hopefully).

It's really nice to see this phone doing well on this forum at least. I hope that everyone likes it.

venne

Shit. I wanted to do a legit review of the 920, any ideas on how to spin that into a negative?

"If you can somehow manage to hold up the phone, you'll be treated to great video."

Just need to add the weight caveat to any praise and your golden.

Troll

Banned
"If you can somehow manage to hold up the phone, you'll be treated to great video."

Just need to add the weight caveat to any praise and your golden.

You're going to need an industrial strength tripod, that will set you back $900.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom