• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

Guys, something is missing. :(

88ZWy.jpg

Seeing your Zune HD breaks my heart...

NeOak

Still waiting for Dodonpachi Maximum, it's not available for WP8.

Edit: Jesus, the WP8 desktop app is god damn awful.

Raistlin

Got my Lumia but it's so frustrating trying to connect my Xbox account to my primary email. I'm using one email for my Xbox account and another for my email. How can I connect it into one, so I can use my phone for Xbox games? Fucking shit I'm about to break something.
With WP7/8, you can have as many email accounts with live tiles as you want ... or make some of them unified ... or any combination there of.

When you first set up your account (using your Xbox email), it will default a live tile on your homescreen for it. However you can add more email accounts and make live tiles for them ... or unify the inboxes. Whatever you want.

If you don't use your Xbox email address, simply unpin the live tile it defaulted. Remember - unpining tiles from the homescreen is not deleting them ... you don't have to worry about that. You deleted from the applications list (to the right of the homescreen). Think of your homescreen like a desktop that only supports shortcuts. Deleting the shortcuts does not delete the underlying app.

Got the 920, Bluetooth audio does not start automatically in my car, is this by design? My windows 7.5 phone would start playing when I started the car but this one I have to go into the settings > bluetooth and either click connect to the device or restart bluetooth.
Are you sure you set your car to autoplay when you paired the 920? Remember, this is a new device as far as your car is concerned. It likely defaults to not autoplay in the car settings for new devices.

Raistlin

Got my 920 today! Was on T-Mobile's $30 a month plan but was always going over the minutes by a lot so just decided to go with ATT contract through school riding so it is not bad...

loving it so far. Screen looks so cool. Like everything is floating. Getting great signal on this as well.

little disappointing that angry birds star wars doesn't run at native resolution... Wonder if that has to do with the 768 height on the 920... Someone with an 8x want to chime in?

but it is so smooth and snappy, even compared to my 710. Which actually seems to load mobile. faster (!) but can not complain about any aspect of this thing. Other than the camera roll feels wonky and confusing.
When you say not playing at native res, do you mean the game is stretched to fill the screen ... or do you simply mean it's running letterboxed?

He probably misunderstood because he is not aware of that limitation. I don't know if it's a known platform issue or something that's specific to you.

I've done FB chat with a bunch of people, I don't know whether they were on a phone or not, though.
IIRC, it's a setting on the friends Facebook accounts. MS it treated as a 3rd party app. I think it's possible these friends have the 3rd party app optioned turned off?

joshschw

When you say not playing at native res, do you mean the game is stretched to fill the screen ... or do you simply mean it's running letterboxed?

No, it's filling the screen and isn't skewed in any way, but it's running in lower resolution and isn't sharp, it's a bit blurry - see the screenshot posted at full size. Obviously more noticeable on PC but it's fairly obvious on phone as well.

NeOak

Car chargers: is a generic from Target ok or should I get something more specific?

Get one that delivers 2A, they're usually made for ipads.

Nokia's charger delivers 1.3A, so its good. And no, it won't damage ir because the device is the one that decides how much current it draws.

Raistlin

No, it's filling the screen and isn't skewed in any way, but it's running in lower resolution and isn't sharp, it's a bit blurry - see the screenshot posted at full size. Obviously more noticeable on PC but it's fairly obvious on phone as well.
Well that's pretty lame.

That said, I expect we'll get an update. Nokia footed the bill for time-exclusivity on the Rovio franchise ... so it would be pretty laughable if it didn't run optimally on their flagship phone :p

Troll

Banned
Has anyone ran any other games. Do they run full screen?

Yeah, everything is fullscreen. There aren't any funky scaling issues like in iOS. Speaking of games, whatever happened to free trials? I wanted to try Cut the Rope on my Focus and it was Buy or Share. Bullshit!

e: I guess that I should say the iPhone 5 not iOS specifically.

Totakeke

Yeah, everything is fullscreen. There aren't any funky scaling issues like in iOS. Speaking of games, whatever happened to free trials? I wanted to try Cut the Rope on my Focus and it was Buy or Share. Bullshit!

Microsoft probably scaled back their trial ambitions to satisfy developers coming from the other platforms. They're only on the persuasion model now.

I meant Nokia exclusive as in among the Windows Phones. You can close your gaping mouth already.

lMuYn.png

They just need to release a color for each of the WP8 accents then we can call it a day and release WP9.

Olive or a dark emerald please...
My dreams will never be realized in time for when I get one "*^*"

e: I guess that I should say the iPhone 5 not iOS specifically.

The hell, it was one of the best features of the marketplace. No one willingly will make a demo out of the goodness of their heart, It has to be forced.

That new Windows Phone app connector is shit. I mean it's just plain shit. I can't believe Microsoft release this as an actual Windows Phone sync app. I understand they want the phone to be stand alone device but goddam is this is not the worst sync app ever.

I missed my Wi-Fi sync too. So what the hell has Zune team been doing for the past two years? Didn't they send out tweet asking people what they want for Zune? I know the whole division got folded into Windows Phone but the best they can do is this piece of shits sync software? It's more like file drop box...

Another gripe, the new Note you can't pin the individual Notebook and can only pin individual page. WTF.

Oh and I wan my Dodonpachi and Crimson Dragon ... only two games I really play on my phone.

Phone is great but man software for it blow.

frontieruk

That new Windows Phone app connector is shit. I mean it's just plain shit. I can't believe Microsoft release this as an actual Windows Phone sync app. I understand they want the phone to be stand alone device but goddam is this is not the worst sync app ever.

I missed my Wi-Fi sync too. So what the hell has Zune team been doing for the past two years? Didn't they send out tweet asking people what they want for Zune? I know the whole division got folded into Windows Phone but the best they can do is this piece of shits sync software? It's more like file drop box...

Another gripe, the new Note you can't pin the individual Notebook and can only pin individual page. WTF.

Oh and I wan my Dodonpachi and Crimson Dragon ... only two games I really play on my phone.

Phone is great but man software for it blow.

You're forgetting every reviewer moaned they had to use Zune as it wasn't as good as iTunes and they just wanted to drag and drop their stuff like Android so MS thought fuck it

Totakeke

Still...

Is it still an option for developers to do though, as it would suck to have to force developers to submit twice for a "LITE" and "FULL" Version of the app. I'm also assuming its mandatory for XBL games though...right?

They only submit once and they decide whether to put limits on their app for a trial version. You don't submit twice like Android or iOS.

Speaking of which, I wonder how many apps in those two OS app counts are because of trial and full versions being counted twice.

Well, screw app counting.

Is there any way to get purchased movies from iTunes onto a WP8 device? Seems to be the final hang up for a friend of mine.

Don't you just drag/drop the video from MyVideos into the sync application... or does iTunes use a type of DRM that stops that? Because in that case he would have to find some way to strip the DRM

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yep, iTunes has DRM on their movies. Other than the free movies you get with blu ray, I would never own an iTunes movie. For the same or less, you can buy a DVD and rip it.

The app is still beta.

Not defending it but still.

If they just want the sync software to be just a dumb dropbox that's fine, the music / podcast/ photo on the phone must have better management. I don't even know how to put album art because while it's showing up fine on Zune, some are just gone on Windows Phone (but show up in Xbox Music App on my Windows 8 laptop app).

Let hope they get both Windows Phone and that horrible Music App up to speed soon.

Am I the only person that likes Zune?

It chases moved and renamed files. It can downconvert when I want to save space on my phone. It copies when it doesn't need to downcovert. It doesn't give me any fuss when it comes to pairing. It makes music management a cinch.

So is there a way to sort out WP8 only apps?

I'd like to think Feed Reader is still the best Google Reader client out there.

I don't know, but if you view the store with a WP7 device, anything WP8 only won't show up on the lists.

*looking forward to ports of Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars within weeks, wonder whether Nokia's clout and exclusive permissions has anything to do with it*

MarkusRJR

So what's happening with Draw Something for WP7? They released a buggy version of it, pulled it, and I don't remember hearing much after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom