• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

I've 'sold' a Lumia 920 to my mother who is upgrading from WP7 and today I've 'sold' an HTC 8X to someone else. At first I recommended the Nexus 4 to him (since he's buying off-contract), but he read a review that criticized its battery life (on golem.de) and he would prefer an HTC device. Then I saw this deal today: http://wmpoweruser.com/good-price-blue-htc-8x-for-437e-in-germany/. 437 Euros for the 8X was a good enough deal for him to bite.

If only T Mobile US released the 8X in another color besides Blue or the Ativ S. My fiancé would also upgrade.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Went into a Rogers store and held both the 8X and 920 in my hand, the dummy phones at least. 8X feels so slick in your hand while I felt the 920 was a tad too big and heavy.

It's down to the HTC 8X and Nexus 4 for me now. Still not counting out the 920 though. I want to see it in action first.

Cool, I haven't seen any dummy models yet. I keep flip flopping between the 8X and 920...

Milchjon

Easily found out via WPCentral, and I'm on the phone. They installed fine. Just have to play it sometime soon.

You might need to use the WPCentral app on your phone, or look for anything under Nokia Corporation under Marketplace.

Dang it, I get errors for both. Maybe they're not out over here.

Thanks anyway.

Troll

Banned
My phone has left from Oakland, so it's pretty close to me. Estimated delivery is still for Monday but I'm hoping it gets here today.

no calls from the phone stores i've spent the best part of last week harassing but i'm not really sure they'd call if they had the 920s in anyway. they don't seem the most reliable of souls. ah well, i couldn't get it until monday at the earliest anyway so i'll pester them then.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My phone has left from Oakland, so it's pretty close to me. Estimated delivery is still for Monday but I'm hoping it gets here today.

My phone is in Puerto Rico. That means it will be on my island by tomorrow, but USPS is closed Sunday. Then Monday is a federal holiday and they will be closed again. So it will be delivered to my job on Tuesday. Waiting sucks.

Commodore

My phone is in Puerto Rico. That means it will be on my island by tomorrow, but USPS is closed Sunday. Then Monday is a federal holiday and they will be closed again. So it will be delivered to my job on Tuesday. Waiting sucks.

Tuesday for me too. I feel the same feel.

cL5M2.gif

Commodore

So, what are some must-have apps?

Must haves:

Baconit if you're a redditer.
Weave for a news reader.
twabbit, mehdoh, rowi are all fantastic twitter clients. My favorite is twabbit out of the bunch.
blueprints if you use tumblr
WeatherLive or Weather Flow for good reliable Live tiled weather updates.
Metrotube for youtube
Photosynth for cool panoramas.
Wikipedia by Rudy Huyn - best wikipedia app I've ever come across.
WP Bench for benchmarking your device.
PaperKarma to get rid of junk mail
Fhotoroom is probably one of the better photo editing apps in the store.
Ask Ziggy if you're into Siri like experience.

edit: oh as as far as games
Majesty is a nifty quasi RTS that's worth playing
Carcassonne if you're into that
Crimson Dragon
ilomilo
Tentacles
Wordament
Age of Sorcery, city management multiplayer game
ARMED!
Pirate Cat
Rainbow Rapture, Tiny Bee, both are Tiny Wing type games.

Am I the only person that likes Zune?

It chases moved and renamed files. It can downconvert when I want to save space on my phone. It copies when it doesn't need to downcovert. It doesn't give me any fuss when it comes to pairing. It makes music management a cinch.

I like it... The best media manager there can be. Its so amazing that I dont mind having to hunt down an RSS Feed for a podcast I want to subscribe to when they dont have it on zune

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, but I couldn't find Ask Ziggy. Rowi is sick.

hwalker84

Am I the only person that likes Zune?

It chases moved and renamed files. It can downconvert when I want to save space on my phone. It copies when it doesn't need to downcovert. It doesn't give me any fuss when it comes to pairing. It makes music management a cinch.

No your not. It sucks having to use Windows Media Player. Its not as fast and streamlined.

Podcast management, playlist management, etc. Basically, I rather manage my collection and subscriptions on my PC and refresh every night with a sync. I'm on my pc in the evenings anyway, its just better for my work and life flow.

I'm walking around with my phone all the time, in and out of WiFi range, I really don't want to manage downloads for podcasts it new music through my phone. Also, my wife has a Lumia and I only have to download an album once and sync to both phones wirelessly. One of the reasons I left android was lack of a competent sync client like iTunes or Zune, and now MS is punishing me with a crappy sync client rather than just reskinning Zune.

You think someone would be able to make a "hack" that makes zune to recognize WP8 as WP7 and force a sync?

Btw, can I upload vids on Youtube via phone?
I'm not sure natively, although you can do it through the email YouTube provides you.

thirty

Banned
I personally like the way the WiFi works so I hope they just add an option to change the way the phone behaves in the settings. I'm actually out of the country now so I'm only using WiFi and having it turn on only when I turn my screen on has been a battery saver for me.

I personally like the way the WiFi works so I hope they just add an option to change the way the phone behaves in the settings. I'm actually out of the country now so I'm only using WiFi and having it turn on only when I turn my screen on has been a battery saver for me.

i think that the wifi constantly turning on & trying to reconnect to a network actually hinders the battery life.

Raistlin

i think that the wifi constantly turning on & trying to reconnect to a network actually hinders the battery life.
Actually the bigger issue is that you're using a cellular connection for push notifications, live tile updates, etc. It uses significantly more power versus WiFi (and is only worsened by LTE). Even though it is only be updated at an interval versus an always on WiFi connection, the average power draw ends up being worse in most situations.

I believe being indoors only compounds the situation since the cellular antennas are typically being run in a higher gain mode.

Magni

If I buy a 920 from the MS store without a contract ($499), would it be
a) unlocked?
b) work on European 3G?

The price is $50 more expensive than on AT&T's website, but at lease I can get to checkout without having to get a plan with it.

dLMN8R

Podcast management, playlist management, etc. Basically, I rather manage my collection and subscriptions on my PC and refresh every night with a sync. I'm on my pc in the evenings anyway, its just better for my work and life flow.

I'm walking around with my phone all the time, in and out of WiFi range, I really don't want to manage downloads for podcasts it new music through my phone. Also, my wife has a Lumia and I only have to download an album once and sync to both phones wirelessly. One of the reasons I left android was lack of a competent sync client like iTunes or Zune, and now MS is punishing me with a crappy sync client rather than just reskinning Zune.

I used to completely rely on my PC for podcast management too, but after discovering iCatcher on iOS it completely changed my mindset. Once you have an amazing app that elegantly handles everything directly within the app, the idea of connecting it to a PC to sync seemed so old and antiquated.

Hopefully Windows Phone 8 enables developers more control for apps like this now that they couldn't get with 7.5.

cube444

Cool, I haven't seen any dummy models yet. I keep flip flopping between the 8X and 920...

I hear you man. Rogers has it for $599 off contract and most likely unlocked. That is way too much money for any phone IMO. Working for Bell, I get 35% off my monthly plan and I can get the 8X this way. I'm not waiting six months for Bell to get the 920 because by then I'll want another phone. The main thing for me is I need a change from iOS as I've had the 3GS for almost three years now. I'm also considering the Nexus 4.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I hear you man. Rogers has it for $599 off contract and most likely unlocked. That is way too much money for any phone IMO. Working for Bell, I get 35% off my monthly plan and I can get the 8X this way. I'm not waiting six months for Bell to get the 920 because by then I'll want another phone. The main thing for me is I need a change from iOS as I've had the 3GS for almost three years now. I'm also considering the Nexus 4.

If I was with Bell and the 8X was my only option I would be satisfied.

zedge

Do you know how much the 8X will be outright on Bell?

I used to completely rely on my PC for podcast management too, but after discovering iCatcher on iOS it completely changed my mindset. Once you have an amazing app that elegantly handles everything directly within the app, the idea of connecting it to a PC to sync seemed so old and antiquated.

Hopefully Windows Phone 8 enables developers more control for apps like this now that they couldn't get with 7.5.
It's funny that you mention "connecting to your pc", because that was never really necessary with the Zune client, thanks to wireless sync. And now they took it out for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom