• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kn1ves24

Has anybody tried the wallet app with NFC to make a payment somewhere yet?

I saw on wpcentral that it should work but I haven't had a chance to try it. If somebody has tried it how does it work exactly?

I have not set up my Wallet yet, may be I will do it later today.

On another note, I think they are just way too aggressive with turning off Wi-Fi. I think that's the bug the guy was tweeting about. Wi-Fi seems to shut off quickly ... yeah, they really need to put it as an option to have Wi-Fi stay connect especially when your phone is plug in.

I've noticed that every time my phone runs out of battery, when I charge it again, the phone needs to get to at least 5% charge before it automatically turns on. Anyone else's phone act the same?

(Also, I'm weirded out at first when my phone can't stay off while charging.)

NeOak

I've noticed that every time my phone runs out of battery, when I charge it again, the phone needs to get to at least 5% charge before it automatically turns on. Anyone else's phone act the same?

(Also, I'm weirded out at first when my phone can't stay off while charging.)

Has been like this since WP7.

I've noticed that camera noise seem to be at the worst at the edges for my Lumia 900, and it's also a bit out of focus-y. Do you think I need to clean my lens?

Totakeke

It depends on the link type. If the link has a region ID in it, that's where it's going to send you. Marketplace links without the region ID will send you to the correct marketplace.

Hmm, not sure what they've done with the online marketplace. I searched the game on my phone and downloaded it fine.

Nope, definitely not. I've downloaded US-only apps fine before through the online marketplace. Probably regional changes/sync with the release of Windows 8.

It's always like that for me, but I'm only using it since this June, and in Singapore.

(This is confusing.)

Anyway, the marketplace links, when accessed on a phone, should redirect to the Marketplace app on your phone, and may or may not go to the correct store on a computer. OK?

Totakeke

It's always like that for me, but I'm only using it since this June, and in Singapore.

(This is confusing.)

Anyway, the marketplace links, when accessed on a phone, should redirect to the Marketplace app on your phone, and may or may not go to the correct store on a computer. OK?

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. I'm not calling you a liar or anything.

Roko

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Lumia 920 thread, but I'll start here. I have the music+videos app pinned to my home screen on my 920 but I do not get the artist images on the tile when listening to music, just the artist name. It seems like it's not connecting to the store to get the images, in fact, if i tap the "more in store" link while the song is playing I get an error code 80070057. It just says to try launching the store again, check back in a little while, or restart the phone. I've done all of the above to no avail.

I've thought about it but it's priced at the same level as the 8X which is a bit shit :

And yeah in the UK you can only get the 920 on EE or on Orange/T-Mob.

True, but Nokia pushing their own apps gives it extra kudos. How long is the EE exclusivity. I'm on Vodafone and willing to leave them but not for the rip off that is EE

cube444

So UK/European GAF. Is it true that a grey Lumia 920 exists there? If so, do you know of any reasonably priced/reputable online sites that would sell me an unlocked 920?

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Lumia 920 thread, but I'll start here. I have the music+videos app pinned to my home screen on my 920 but I do not get the artist images on the tile when listening to music, just the artist name. It seems like it's not connecting to the store to get the images, in fact, if i tap the "more in store" link while the song is playing I get an error code 80070057. It just says to try launching the store again, check back in a little while, or restart the phone. I've done all of the above to no avail.

I have several artists not showing up but others work fine. I don't know if it's the Windows Phone 8 Xbox App having issue or if it's the store. It never work right for me either in Windows 8 on some of the artists. (Though the one that work on Windows 8 didn't work on my Windows Phone like Norah Jones and Dianna Krall both did not work properly. May be Xbox Music hates Jazz).

Izuna

Banned
So UK/European GAF. Is it true that a grey Lumia 920 exists there? If so, do you know of any reasonably priced/reputable online sites that would sell me an unlocked 920?

Are you rubbing it in? Haha.

No it's not true, it's hard for us in the UK to get many colours, and even then unlocked is impossible atm.

MarkusRJR

Is it just me or has streaming music using Marketplace via Zune Pass been really slow lately? It used to be pretty fast but now it's nearly a minute of loading before a song loads. I'm using a really fast wi-if connection so I'm really confused. Are they doing maintenance to the servers or something?

PG2G

Anyone use the Room feature? My friend and I tried it but we could only get the chat to work. We didn't see calendar items, notes, or pics that the other added

PG2G

Is it just me or has streaming music using Marketplace via Zune Pass been really slow lately? It used to be pretty fast but now it's nearly a minute of loading before a song loads. I'm using a really fast wi-if connection so I'm really confused. Are they doing maintenance to the servers or something?

Maybe its getting owned by Windows 8 users who are now streaming for free.

kn1ves24

Anyone use the Room feature? My friend and I tried it but we could only get the chat to work. We didn't see calendar items, notes, or pics that the other added

I asked about the Room feature earlier, I haven't tried it. Does it only work with other people on WP8 phones? I'm assuming that's the case.

Milchjon

I asked about the Room feature earlier, I haven't tried it. Does it only work with other people on WP8 phones? I'm assuming that's the case.

Some stuff works with other phones too. There's info on it on the windowsphone.com site. I can't link you directly since it automatically redirects me to the German version.

frontieruk

Some stuff works with other phones too. There's info on it on the windowsphone.com site. I can't link you directly since it automatically redirects me to the German version.

People with a Windows Phone 7 or an iPhone can join your room, but their experience will be a bit different. They'll be able to set up and use the shared calendar on their phones, but group chat is only available on Windows Phone 8 (and the other features work best on Windows Phone 8). For more info,

Rooms on Windows Phone 7 and iPhone

Windows Phone Rooms are a feature of Windows Phone 8 that lets people privately share a calendar, notes, a photo album and group chat with the family or friends they invite to join. On a Windows Phone 8, you can see your rooms and their content in one place in the People Hub.

If you have a Windows Phone 7 or an iPhone, you can join a room that someone with a Windows Phone 8 creates and invites you to. You'll be able to set up the room's shared calendar on your phone and view, create and edit events on it. Your changes will appear on the other members' phones and their changes will sync to yours. Other Rooms features work best on Windows Phone 8.

To set up the room calendar on your Windows Phone 7
Set up the Microsoft account you used to join the room on your phone (you may see it as Windows Live or Hotmail). The calendar will show up alongside your other calendars.

To set up the room calendar on your iPhone
Go to your iPhone's settings and add the Microsoft account you used to join the room as an email account on your phone (you may see it as Windows Live or Hotmail).

Notes
Group chat in Rooms is only available on Windows Phone 8. Room members with a Windows Phone 7 or iPhone won't be able to participate.
Group chat in Rooms is powered by Messenger, so when you join a room, you'll become Messenger friends with the other members. (Chat won't work if you're using a Windows Phone 7 or iPhone, but if you switch to a Windows Phone 8 in the future, you'll be able to take part.) If someone new joins the room later on, you'll become Messenger friends with them too. If you leave or are removed from a room, you'll still be Messenger friends with the other members unless you unfriend them on Messenger. You can do this using the Messenger app on your computer.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'll probably be in Seattle at some point in December so if Rogers hasn't got their shit together by then I might see if the Microsoft Store down there has what I want. It's hard to justify paying $675 for something I'm not 100% happy with.

Also I thought it was supposed to be $550. Why the hell is it $600?

Edit: nvm. The XDA forum guy said it was $600+tax but Rogers says $550?

Joe says: October 30th, 2012 a 11:52am

hey just want to mention that I called the Microsoft Holiday store at Eaton Centre Toronto and they will be getting white, red and black

Edit 2:
http://redboard.rogers.com/2012/rog...okia-lumia-920/comment-page-1/#comment-110941

:O :O :O

:O

So good if true considering Rogers is only going to be carrying black and is the exclusive carrier of the phone in Canada.

Izuna

Banned
:lol No, I'm not. I've heard some US online stores are importing the grey ones from Europe. I guess this might be BS then?

http://www.gsmnation.com/nokia-lumia-920-grey.html

I dunno about this site, but they did ship the unlocked AT&T ones for a cheaper price. International version so it has all the bands. Use at your own risk ^_^

----

Went to see my brother's Lumia 920 and I have a little short review of the thigns that mattered to me the most (mostly the phone not the OS):

- It's not heavy but it is a large smartphone. It's more of a mini tablet, better for videos, games, photo/web browsing etc. but for phone stuff the size gets in the way. Not too large for pockets though.

- Blacks are no where near as good as my Omnia 7. Screen has more realistic colours, but looks a bit faded in comparison, so much that when comparing 4S and 920 pics we decided to email to Omnia 7 instead.

- We only did low-light pictures. It's awesome, OIS is awesome, and the flash makes things a LOT more realistic than what the 4S can chuck out. We actually compared the flash on a flashlight app and it looks a lot better, less washed out colours under the 920's light. Pictures at the bottom. Nokia's apps were also very good.

- Some low-resolution facebook pictures look pretty bad on the 768p screen, but that could be said about any HD phone to be honest. Cut The Rope for example looked very "SD" compared to the iPhone 4S, but I'm sure in the future the HD screen will be a great thing when we get WP8 apps.

--

So anyway I parted with my Onmia 7 for my brother's old Cyan Lumia 800 and it feels like a great upgrade. I didn't know WP7.5 phones has Japanese display language, very nice. I already got used to the buttons being on the right, and with 800, I'm certain waiting for Cyan is exactly what I want to do. It makes it easier to wait for a Cyan 920.

Flash Comparison

iPhone 4S
photo__1_.JPG

Lumia 920
WP_20121112_054.jpg

Liberty4all

Banned

Skype for Windows Phone 8 brings the dream to reality of mobile VOIP. By running seamlessly in the background (like on Window 8), users can sign in once and always remain online without having to worry about battery life. That trick is done through Microsoft hosting your presence in the cloud on their servers instead of you using your phone. In turn, you’re always on (though you can set yourself to “invisible” should you wish to look offline).

Sounds awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom