• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Seriously, is the WP8 OT happening? If not, I'll work on it.

Windows Phone 8 |OT| I wish it ran Android

Windows Phone 8 |OT| Colorful phones.

Windows Phone 8 |OT| Apollo has landed

Windows Phone 8 |OT| Square dancing

Windows Phone 8 |OT| The Hipster Phone, be the first to have one.

Totakeke

Mmm, something about colors, something about the new kernel, or something about not being sheep.

Nothing is clicking yet. So far "Apollo has landed" seems the most fitting so far.

Windows Phone 8 |OT| Beauty is now skin deep

kazinova

"Windows Phone 8 |OT| Apollo Has Landed" is the only non-snarky choice.

DO NOT PUT ANDROID IN THE TITLE, that comment is more for the hardware than the OS.

I wonder whether we can keep the number 8 out and make it the OT3 instead. Don't want to leave out us 7.x users, you know.

Minimal snark!

I had thought about this, but the other phone OS threads go by the latest version. I don't have a preference, though, and was going to have a little section dedicated to 7.5/7.8.

kazinova

Windows Phone |OT3| The youPhone
Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed
Windows Phone |OT3| Be the 5%
Windows Phone |OT3| The Brave Few
Windows Phone |OT3| Look great, apps less filling
Windows Phone |OT3| Avoid the App-ocolypse

zeeaykay

I'm on Verizon so I'm planning on getting the HTC 8X, my first smartphone. I'm pretty excited, so I called the Verizon Store and the person was completely clueless. I called another one in the are and I got the same story, that they don't know anything until the day of release.

Kind of frustrating, you'd think they would at least let you know how to go about pre-ordering one when verizon.com has that on their homepage.

went into one of the 3 (!) everything everywhere stores here in brighton & asked about the 920 and lo n' behold, they had one in on t-mobile! perfect! exactly what i wanted!
£50 down, £36 for unlimited data for 24 months, what i'm paying on my omnia 7.
anyway, guy goes out and returns with the only one left, a white unit. i um and ahh but ultimately decide to go for it, the gloss isn't too bad after all.
i go through all the data checks & then in the last moment, he realises that what he was trying to sell me was, in fact, a dummy unit.
a dummy unit.
phone calls are made to the other stores to see if they have any in stock, to no avail.
i left the store once again without my 920.

:(

It's both. AMOLED's larger color gamut makes it far harder to conform to the sRGB standard and thus oversaturation is still a problem. The Note II, as mentioned, is among the best for AMOLED displays, but it still oversaturates.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6386/samsung-galaxy-note-2-review-t-mobile-/8

I tend to review displays with my own eyes, and I have noticed that the Galaxy Note II's saturation issues can be quickly fixed by setting movie mode all the time, which seems to level off the saturation. It looks more in line with an average IPS tablet after that. Colour saturation issues can be fixed via software adjustments, after all, even if it's not that optimal.

I'd rather take a calibrated AMOLED than an IPS, but I'll take an IPS over uncalibrated AMOLED.

gcubed

The community forum is the ghetto, you can't defend that and the next OT shouldn't be posted in here. The Windows 8 OT isn't in here, several phone OTs aren't in here and neither is the iOS 6 thread here.

yeah, you'll be moved over in about 15 minutes if you don't put it there in the first place. The only thing that can break the mold is anything apple based

JimiNutz

Banned
I finally got my hands on a 920 yesterday.
Got the phone from Phones 4U in Borehamwood and the woman said it was the last one (they got 5 on Saturday, 3 went on Sat and 2 on Sunday).

Unfortunately I've not actually been able to use it...
My EE sim has been playing up so need to take the phone back into the shop tomorrow.

Surprisingly the phone doesn't feel that heavy, just sturdy and strong (I like the weight and feel).
Disappointingly though the screen doesn't seem that bright. The resolution is obviously very high and the screen is nice and clear, but I compared it side by side with my partners S3 and her screen seems to 'pop' a lot more. Her colours just look brighter and warmer where as my 920 seems a little dull in comparison (crisp, but dull).
Maybe I need to mess around with the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom