• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

I have not looked at the specs really, but the 800 feels faster than the Omnia 7. Especially in the Live, Facebook and some other 3rd party apps. It does not stutter at all.

Since it has been confirmed I might as well buy a white Lumia right?

You know you want it ;)
55d1ce0d.jpg

Hello,

I have a question. How do you use the integrated Live Messenger? My wife and I both now have WP7.5 phones (Nokia 710 and Samsung Focus). I set both phone statuses to "available" but all I see is text and Facebook as options for messaging. Am I suppose to do something else? And yes, we both have Live IDs (Wife's is @live.com, mine's at hotmail.com).

What am I doing wrong?

Hello,

I have a question. How do you use the integrated Live Messenger? My wife and I both now have WP7.5 phones (Nokia 710 and Samsung Focus). I set both phone statuses to "available" but all I see is text and Facebook as options for messaging. Am I suppose to do something else? And yes, we both have Live IDs (Wife's is @live.com, mine's at hotmail.com).

What am I doing wrong?

If you scroll over to "Online" in the messaging app.. is your wife listed there?

Thought I would share this -

I dropped my Lumia 900 about 4.5 ft onto a hard tile floor today.. it landed on the corner.. and the device is just fine.

The corner is a little bent out of shape from the impact, but everything else is perfect.

good solid (literally) phone here for sure.

Yup, had all in hand and the white is a bit slippy compared to the others.

here with white theme and like I said, I actually prefer the dark theme with this phone.

edit: the autocorrect made the white on the phone a bit too cream-like. It's much brighter to the eyes.

edit2: 8107 should fix the 800 issues, right?

Thanks! I think I'll stick with the black theme.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lumia900-0016_575px.jpg

Does anyone have these setting on their AT&T branded Lumia 900? I certainly don't.

Picture was taken from a AT&T branded 900 from andantech's lumia 900 review

I have those settings on my Rogers 900.

Also my speaker on the 900 seems much louder than the Focus.

frontieruk

I have not looked at the specs really, but the 800 feels faster than the Omnia 7. Especially in the Live, Facebook and some other 3rd party apps. It does not stutter at all.

The Omnia was a Qualcomm QSD8250 Snapdragon 1Ghz with an Adreno 200 gpu the Lumia is a 1.4ghz (probably a MSM8255) with a Adreno 205 gpu.

The GPU is probably what's making the difference as it's about twice if not a bit more powerful.

Razdek

Banned
I still don't sense an urgency on Microsoft's part and as mentioned before after the buzz of the lumia launch is done we're looking at possibly months of low key announcements or worse nothing at all. I would rather see Microsoft spend $100 million on more developers to get WP8 out the door quicker than spend it on any more marketing WP7. I hope I'm wrong and that they'll find a way to keep the momentum up these next few months.

I still don't sense an urgency on Microsoft's part and as mentioned before after the buzz of the lumia launch is done we're looking at possibly months of low key announcements or worse nothing at all. I would rather see Microsoft spend $100 million on more developers to get WP8 out the door quicker than spend it on any more marketing WP7. I hope I'm wrong and that they'll find a way to keep the momentum up these next few months.

I'm honestly surprised by comments like that. Coding and testing an operating system that is used by hundreds of people takes time and throwing more money and people at it will not help. Photon and Longhorn are the best examples for that. Do you honestly think Microsoft is happy enough with the current situation that they're working on it with with a laid back attitude? They're fully aware of it. "We’re at 0% market share for all practical purposes" is what the current head of Windows Phone business said, after he took over from Andy Lees back in December. They know, they're not happy and I assure you they're working very hard to turn it around.

It just like those comments back then, when people were outraged that Nokia wasn't able to deliver the Lumia 800 at the Mango launch, 6 months after the deal was inked. "How hard can it be to change some chips and buttons? Nokia sucks!". Shit takes time, yo.

Designing embedded hardware takes time. A lot of time.

Yep. Even while people were finishing up Mango, my group and many other groups were pressing on quickly for deadlines for Tango and the upcoming version...

The higher ups definitely were not happy with where we were, and knew there was lots of work to be done.

hwalker84

Yep. Even while people were finishing up Mango, my group and many other groups were pressing on quickly for deadlines for Tango and the upcoming version...

The higher ups definitely were not happy with where we were, and knew there was lots of work to be done.

You work for MS?

frontieruk

Yes. Shows online for Facebook. Is it suppose to show online for Live Messenger as well?

If I remember correctly wp7 defaults to Facebook even if both networks are available, open a chat with your wife and tap the two arrows icon to switch networks, if msn is showing online it'll appear in the list as being online.

@hwalker84 yeah the swine is going to be feeding us dog food over the coming months as the NDA he's signed means hell would be a better place than the things MS have planned for people talking about the things being tested...

It's funny how you kinda confirmed Tango as code name, which never happened officially, but not Apollo, which was confirmed to be the code name for v.Next.

Anyway, how do you like the OT? I was a bit disappointed that none of your coworkers wanted to help me out with the Apollo part. :p

E: and how do you feel about Metro getting raped by the Windows guys? :lol

Raistlin

The Omnia was a Qualcomm QSD8250 Snapdragon 1Ghz with an Adreno 200 gpu the Lumia is a 1.4ghz (probably a MSM8255) with a Adreno 205 gpu.

The GPU is probably what's making the difference as it's about twice if not a bit more powerful.
Yep. Much of the UI rendering is GPU accelerated. The Telerik RadDataBoundListBox and its variants are one of the more obvious areas for stutter in WP7 apps. A faster GPU makes a noticeable improvement.

Moving from a Focus to my new 900, that's one of the big performance upgrades. Much less stutter, and no matter how fast I scroll, I can't catch up to when it's binding/rendering virtualized data (this is what causes stuff to be invisible towards the bottom when scrolling fast on slower phones).

he even mentions the Omnia 7 by name. good times.

probably gonna get a new phone anyway but it's nice to know I can give it to someone or sell out without feeling guilty.
I think the broader question is will providers actually push out the updates for locked phones though.

No offense, but there's a lot of ig'nance all up in 'dis post.

ElNino

Crap he meant he has it. Seems like all Rogers Lumias have it.
Yep, the Rogers Lumia has the connection toggle. It also appears that (contrary to some people in the WP Central thread), the 4G in the toggle menu refers to LTE and not the "4G" that the Lumia displays (which is really HSPA+).

frontieruk

You work for MS?

Yep. Much of the UI rendering is GPU accelerated. The Telerik ListBox and its variants are one of the more obvious areas for stutter in WP7 apps. A faster GPU makes a noticeable improvement.

Moving from a Focus to my new 900, it's one of the more obvious performance upgrades. Much less stutter, and no matter how fast I scroll, I can't catch up to when it binding to virtualized data (this is what causes stuff to be invisible towards the bottom when scrolling fast on

God damn it you're tro... Oh wait your confirming what I said i should switch off avatars...

Raistlin

Yep, the Rogers Lumia has the connection toggle. It also appears that (contrary to some people in the WP Central thread), the 4G in the toggle menu refers to LTE and not the "4G" that the Lumia displays (which is really HSPA+).
So I assume that means if you set it to 3G, you'll still get HSPA+ data rates?

ElNino

So I assume that means if you set it to 3G, you'll still get HSPA+ data rates?
Yes, I have my connection set to limit to 3G and the Lumia will still go between 3G/4G (HSPA/HSPA+). Unfortunately I don't have an LTE plan so I can't verify that the 4G toggle would disable it, but it appears that is the case.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, I have my connection set to limit to 3G and the Lumia will still go between 3G/4G (HSPA/HSPA+). Unfortunately I don't have an LTE plan so I can't verify that the 4G toggle would disable it, but it appears that is the case.

I had my plan changed to LTE and I have my network speed set to 3G, however the symbol will sometimes change to 4G even though I'm outside LTE range. Must have to do with the data problem.

Edit: Performance is much better than my Focus.

Raistlin

I had my plan changed to LTE and I have my network speed set to 3G, however the symbol will sometimes change to 4G even though I'm outside LTE range. Must have to do with the data problem.
Your phone is acting 'correctly', it's just a confusion in nomenclature.

On the phone, the symbol indicators refer to:

G/E: GPRS/EDGE
3G: HSPA
4G: HSPA+
LTE: LTE

For the network connection speed settings:

2G: GPRS/EDGE
3G: HSPA/HSPA+
4G: LTE

Basically the providers are being 'cute' and calling HSPA+ 4G on the indicator.

God damn it you're tro... Oh wait your confirming what I said i should switch off avatars...
BWAHAHAHAHA

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Cool. Thanks!

ElNino

G/E: GPRS/EDGE

Yeah, it was confusing at first when I thought I was on LTE. On my Focus it used to switch between 3G/3G+ but now the 3G+ has been replace with 4G... the connection is still the same though. Also, the GPRS/EDGE connections show up as G/E.

NeOak

a Microsoft spokesperson affirming that "all" devices -- including those first-generation handsets from LG and Samsung -- will be included in the WP8 rollout.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/17/windows-phone-8-available-all-devices/

Q: In terms of devices, who today have one is it expectable that…

A: What Microsoft said/stated and what I’m allowed to tell you is that all actual devices will get upgrade to the next major version of Windows Phone (we´re talking about Apollo)

Q: When you say actual devices. Are all that came out to market?

A: Are all that came out. Since the first generation that were bought. The LGs and SAMSUNGs.. OMNIA 7 which were the first devices with Windows Phone reaching the market.
http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-ev...handsets-will-be-upgraded-to-windows-phone-8/

PG2G

I imagine we'll start hearing stuff about Apollo as early as next month and definitely no later than July. They need to give developers some indication of what the changes to the platform are going to be and start releasing tools or we'll end up waiting 6 months for Windows Phone 8 enabled apps.

There won't be a drought in the summer, for sure

Raistlin

Yeah, it was confusing at first when I thought I was on LTE. On my Focus it used to switch between 3G/3G+ but now the 3G+ has been replace with 4G... the connection is still the same though. Also, the GPRS/EDGE connections show up as G/E.
Ahh thanks for the G/E reference. It's been so long since I hit a non-3G area, I forgot it listed it that way. I'll update it like your quote.

Cool. Thanks!
No problem.

For clarity, note ElNino's fix regarding G/E above.

rozay

Banned
Since the lumia 800/900 use AMOLED screens you should be aware that the white theme will use a ridiculous amount of battery compared to the black theme. Current draw when an AMOLED is displaying a predominantly white screen uses 1.5-3x the power compared to a predominantly black screen, and since WP7's interface uses quite a bit of blacks it'll probably be a fairly big difference.

Troll

Banned
Fuck the Verge

Sources: current Windows Phone devices will not get 'Apollo' upgrade

Troll Site said:
Earlier today, a developer evangelist for Microsoft was quoted as saying that all Windows Phone devices would get an upgrade to the "next major version" of the operating system. Now, a trusted source close to Microsoft tells us that is absolutely not the case, that instead there will be no upgrade path from Mango to Apollo. This matches up with a previous report from Mary Jo Foley and explains the particular language Microsoft used when it responded to the story earlier today, saying "We have stated publicly that all apps in our Marketplace today will run on the next version of Windows Phone. Beyond that, we have nothing to share about future releases."

The news that Mango phones won't be getting an update to Windows Phone Apollo doesn't bode well for everybody who just purchased a Nokia Lumia 900, to say nothing of the other phones that Microsoft and its partners have managed to sell. If there is a silver lining to be found in the dark cloud besides future app compatibility, it's that this major break could mean that Apollo will contain some major feature improvements over Windows Phone 7.

PG2G

I really find that hard to believe, well... impossible to believe.

I'd probably go back to iOS if the Lumia 800/900 doesn't get WP8. As big of a WP fanboy as I am, I'd have no trust in them.

Talon

I suppose Microsoft could just set a baseline spec - chiefly a single supporrted resolution - and that would bar it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom