• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Well, this just fans the flames for the new Jesus phone.

Lumia 1000
Windows Phone 8
720p 4.7" screen.
Big camera sensor
[blah blah specs]
Same design

PG2G

I don't care what they come with in Apollo. If the Lumia 900 doesn't get the OS, I'm done (don't hold me to that, haha)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe it. Funny that the same day that we hear from a MS evangelist that Mango phones will get Apollo that we also hear that they won't.

dream

I agree with gigs - it almost has to be a carrier decision because it makes no sense for Microsoft or their OEMs to not offer an upgrade path.

PG2G

I agree with gigs - it almost has to be a carrier decision because it makes no sense for Microsoft or their OEMs to not offer an upgrade path.

Seems like it'd be too early to write it off if that was the case. And surely there are carriers that wouldn't have an issue with the update. From WPCentral's latest interview with AT&T, it sounded like they had no idea what Microsoft's plans were

Seems like it'd be too early to write it off if that was the case. And surely there are carriers that wouldn't have an issue with the update. From WPCentral's latest interview with AT&T, it sounded like they had no idea what Microsoft's plans were

Sometimes I'm not sure that Microsoft knows what Microsoft's plans are..

thirty

Banned
why allow first gen phones to be updated when you can sell them new WP8 phones? really, it has nothing to do with being technically impossible but everything to do with pleasing carriers and getting those who purchased first gen phones rolled into new handsets and contracts. 900 will be fine and will get promptly updated to WP8.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If the Apollo rumors are true I'm glad I didn't pay or have to get a new contract for my Lumia. If Mango phones don't get Apollo it better be something pretty special.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
OH COMMON.
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

ive been waiting since last December, i almost when android, twice. you have got to be fucking kidding me. this better not be true. man i don't wanna buy a phone if its not even gonna last half a year. someone please PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is a lie.

maeh2k

Hello,

I have a question. How do you use the integrated Live Messenger? My wife and I both now have WP7.5 phones (Nokia 710 and Samsung Focus). I set both phone statuses to "available" but all I see is text and Facebook as options for messaging. Am I suppose to do something else? And yes, we both have Live IDs (Wife's is @live.com, mine's at hotmail.com).

What am I doing wrong?

You have to add each other as windows live friends. Log into live.com and select messenger - add friends.

Having each other as a contact isn't enough. The friends thing has additional benefits. If you select a contact you can e.g. see their fotos from skydrive (that are shared with friends instead of 'just me').

Fjolle

How? The verge has good sources. As does Mary Jo foley.

I see this as a carrier decision. Pretty fucked.

Carriers don't give a fuck outside US.

Unless someone convinces me that Microsoft are insane i'm going with my gut that says that the verge are trolling for clicks.

I can't see what technical reasons there should be for the current handsets to be non-compatible with WP.next, and from a business and PR perspective it's suicide.

Talon

Carriers don't give a fuck outside US.

Unless someone convinces me that Microsoft are insane i'm going with my gut that says that the verge are trolling for clicks.

I can't see what technical reasons there should be for the current handsets to be non-compatible with WP.next, and from a business and PR perspective it's suicide.
I'm sorry, friend. This ain't the case.

Obviously what is going on is that someone at MS is trolling the verge and is telling them false info so everyone will laugh at them later.

Fjolle

I know WP fans hate The Verge, but I don't take them as the type of site to lie for clicks.

I don't see the whole WP team and the rest of the management in Microsoft as raving lunatics either.

Also the source The Verge has is not a named Microsoft employee on video.

derFeef

I guess they are fine with Android devices not getting ICS.
I need to see what final Apollo can do to be "fine" or "screwed" with not getting an update.

MCD

I sucked MS cock long enough to know that AT LEAST 2nd gen phones will get the update.

Maybe some features won't work or it won't be smooth like real Apollo devices but devices like the Lumia will get it.

My source? COMMON SENSE.

I sucked MS cock long enough to know that AT LEAST 2nd gen phones will get the update.

Maybe some features won't work or it won't be smooth like real Apollo devices but devices like the Lumia will get it.

My source? COMMON SENSE.

I hope you're right, friend. I just bought my 900 6 days ago, I'd be choked if it were updated less than my Focus.

Lesiroth

Not updating a 2nd generation just released phone like the Lumia 900 to a major OS change not even six months from now should do wonders for public perception.
I wonder if Microsoft will actually comment on this?

Let me put it this way. When Eldar spread the rumor that Apollo won't run WP7 apps, Microsoft quickly denied that and confirmed that WP7 apps will run just fine. This didn't happen with this Apollo rumor.

How? The verge has good sources. As does Mary Jo foley.

I see this as a carrier decision. Pretty fucked.

Depends on the blogger. I know I won't trust Topolsky's Apple rumors anymore.

All this drama has caused WP to become my new webOS.

You'll never be Copernicus.

I really find that hard to believe, well... impossible to believe.

I'd probably go back to iOS if the Lumia 800/900 doesn't get WP8. As big of a WP fanboy as I am, I'd have no trust in them.

If Microsoft does that, then I'm gonna throw my Optimus 7 out of the window.
And buy a new Apollo handset, like I would've done anyway *shrugs*

I know WP fans hate The Verge, but I don't take them as the type of site to lie for clicks.

There are sources and there are sources. And my sources are better than yours. I know why I didn't comment on it. MVPs talking about top secret plans of future OS versions is always a bit weird.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Not updating a 2nd generation just released phone like the Lumia 900 to a major OS change not even six months from now should do wonders for public perception.
I wonder if Microsoft will actually comment on this?
the windows phone division is most likely part of the windows division now which is run by steven sinofsky. If that is the case, don't expect anything in terms of news.

Sean

Banned
why allow first gen phones to be updated when you can sell them new WP8 phones? really, it has nothing to do with being technically impossible but everything to do with pleasing carriers and getting those who purchased first gen phones rolled into new handsets and contracts. 900 will be fine and will get promptly updated to WP8.

Seems like a terrible idea. Not only would this piss off the entire WP7 user base, but it will scare off new purchasers as well if they see the flagship phone (Lumia 900) having a lifespan of just six months.

I hope Microsoft is not this stupid.

the windows phone division is most likely part of the windows division now which is run by steven sinofsky. If that is the case, don't expect anything in terms of news.

Now that it came up again, posted on the Verge and will be all over the internet in the next hours, some sort of statement would be great. Not really expecting it, though.

I really doubt they moved Windows Phone over in the last three months. They wouldn't want to further erode the Windows division earnings any more than is already happening. Analysts gloss over the EDD, they don't gloss over the Windows division taking a hit.

I guess we'll find out on Thursday.

I really doubt they moved Windows Phone over in the last three months. They wouldn't want to further erode the Windows division earnings any more than is already happening. Analysts gloss over the EDD, they don't gloss over the Windows division taking a hit.

I guess we'll find out on Thursday.

What's on Thursday?

I chuckled.

yUIPo.png

MS (and Nokia) earnings calls.

Q4 quarterly earnings call?

Oh, that.

gcubed

I find it worrisome that no MS statement has been released as brot said. If its true I don't even know.

If its true the beta phone ad campaign will be the biggest troll in history

Korey

Yea, because people are just dying to jump on the Windows Phone bandwagon right? And driving away the people that ALREADY support your "ecosystem" sounds like a great idea.

The reason Microsoft is staying quiet is because the rumors are probably true that current phones won't get the update, and there's no benefit for them to come out and say so or else even less people will be buying current Windows Phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yea, because people are just dying to buy Windows Phones right? And driving away the people that ALREADY support your "ecosystem" sounds like a good idea.

Carriers could give a fuck about ecosystems though. They just want to sell phones. That's a MS problem if people get pissed and not an AT&T problem even if AT&T is the road block. People will just get pissed and move to iOS and Android, but they'll still be getting service through AT&T.

That's why OS holders like MS need to be in the drivers seat control wise because the carriers can fuck you six ways from Sunday!

gcubed

Carriers could give a fuck about ecosystems though. They just want to sell phones. That's a MS problem if people get pissed and not an AT&T problem even if AT&T is the road block. People will just get pissed and move to iOS and Android, but they'll still be getting service through AT&T.

That's why OS holders like MS need to be in the drivers seat control wise because the carriers can fuck you six ways from Sunday!

Well.. if true the OS holder isn't any better

hwalker84

My source? COMMON SENSE.

Pretty much this.

No way in hell is the Lumia 900 not getting Apollo.

Fjolle

Ms could be having the no comments stance because they actually had a brain fart and thought that a reboot of the WP system would be a great idea.

Or they could be waiting till they actually announce the system? I don't think that they have officially announced anything (other than apps will working on WP.next). Have apple announced what devices iOS6 supports?

Maybe the "no upgrade" comment is because existing phones need a complete reinstall because of the new kernel, but that might be grasping for straws..

Some say that there might be an upgrade that will have Apollo features but won't be Apollo. I really doubt that they will develop two systems at the same time, but otoh it might explain why they aren't faster ;)

The reason Microsoft is staying quiet is because the rumors are probably true that current phones won't get the update, and there's no benefit for them to come out and say so or else even less people will be buying current Windows Phones.

There probably won't be an official update path, that's true.

But then you have people like on Nokia India's Twitter account dicking and smiling around, getting people's hopes up.

JfBqO.png

xr1JD.png

gcubed

Ms could be having the no comments stance because they actually had a brain fart and thought that a reboot of the WP system would be a great idea.

Or they could be waiting till they actually announce the system? I don't think that they have officially announced anything (other than apps will working on WP.next). Have apple announced what devices iOS6 supports?

Maybe the "no upgrade" comment is because existing phones need a complete reinstall because of the new kernel, but that might be grasping for straws..

Some say that there might be an upgrade that will have Apollo features but won't be Apollo. I really doubt that they will develop two systems at the same time, but otoh it might explain why they aren't faster ;)

The complete reinstall was my only thought. Carriers want no part of that mess

PG2G

If Microsoft does that, then I'm gonna throw my Optimus 7 out of the window.
And buy a new Apollo handset, like I would've done anyway *shrugs*

So you wouldn't have a problem with an effective reboot of the OS two years in? I'd expect a lot of upset developers and users, killing off any momentum that Nokia/Microsoft has picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom