• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero3000

Honestly...I have slim hopes for a full Windows Phone 8 upgrade.

Perhaps, there will be a feature update for existing phones, using the same kernal as mango, and bring a couple of features.

So you wouldn't have a problem with an effective reboot of the OS two years in? I'd expect a lot of upset developers and users, killing off any momentum that Nokia/Microsoft has picked up.

Why would I care about that? The decision not to upgrade first and second generation devices doesn't affect me in any way, because I would get a new phone anyways. And why would developers be angry, after Microsoft confirmed that all 7.x apps work on Apollo and probably on Windows RT as well?

Lesiroth

The other problem this presents, is that with how much MS has been focusing on ensuring current apps are compatible with WP8, it's a safe bet that apps written for WP8 won't be backwards-compatible. So in this case, not only are 1st and 2nd generation phones not getting an update, they won't be getting any new apps?

derFeef

Hmmm I am having some network speed problems with the 800. It's really slow for some reason from time to time. Gonna call t-mo to check first but seems weird.

Business

My Lumia 800 says it's got version 1600.2483.8106.11500 firmware installed and Zune says the phone is up to date. Is that the latest version? What about 1600.2487.8107.12070??

Fjolle

My Lumia 800 says it's got version 1600.2483.8106.11500 firmware installed and Zune says the phone is up to date. Is that the latest version? What about 1600.2487.8107.12070??

12070 is the latest update, and should be out for every phone by today. I got the notification a day after it was released for my phone so you should wait a day or two and see if it wont ask you for an update soon.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What a horrible week this has been for the Windows Phone platform. Some of it deserved, some of it unfair. Still, with sales of the 900 seemingly outpacing any other phone ever released on the platform, its just a slap in the face to Nokia and current owners if MS confirms no upgrades or even if they stay mum on the issue.

This has the potential to snuff out what little momentum the 900 is managing.

MarkusRJR

Can someone help me find a place to unlock my Rogers-locked Lumia 900? I need a place that takes PayPal and costs less than $10. I'd take me 2ish weeks to transfer funds from my bank to my PayPal so I only have $10 to work with. I don't have a phone anymore (gave back my friend's BB Storm) so I need to unlock this phone ASAP. :(

jagowar

What a horrible week this has been for the Windows Phone platform. Some of it deserved, some of it unfair. Still, with sales of the 900 seemingly outpacing any other phone ever released on the platform, its just a slap in the face to Nokia and current owners if MS confirms no upgrades or even if they stay mum on the issue.

This has the potential to snuff out what little momentum the 900 is managing.

I still say its very telling nokia was not trumpeting the fact (if it was true) that the 900 would get apollo at launch....

PG2G

Why would I care about that? The decision not to upgrade first and second generation devices doesn't affect me in any way, because I would get a new phone anyways. And why would developers be angry, after Microsoft confirmed that all 7.x apps work on Apollo and probably on Windows RT as well?

I guess I'm just concerned on what effects it will have on the possible success of the platform. If this is the case, Microsoft hopefully has something clever up their sleeves for the application platform. This is how I see it playing out if Apollo is a break from WP 7.X:

1. Two essentially independent OSes, WP 7.X (for Tango+ devices, which will still be coming out) and WP 8.X devices

2. Two application platforms, WP 7.X supports one, WP 8.X supports both

If Windows 8 is the real catalyst for Windows Phone 8 apps, we'll see all WP 7.X devices pretty much left out in the cold. I don't see developers maintaining two independent code bases. This would be fragmentation of the worst kind.

The reason Microsoft is staying quiet is because the rumors are probably true that current phones won't get the update, and there's no benefit for them to come out and say so or else even less people will be buying current Windows Phones.

Didn't MS only recently acknowledge "Apollo" or v.Next? I wouldn't take silence from them as a sign for anything.

gcubed

Didn't MS only recently acknowledge "Apollo" or v.Next? I wouldn't take silence from them as a sign for anything.

they very quickly squashed the WP7->WP8 application rumors. Their response to this latest rumor? WP7 apps will work on WP8, other then that we have nothing else to comment on ... not the most inspiring response

thirty

Banned
Seems like a terrible idea. Not only would this piss off the entire WP7 user base, but it will scare off new purchasers as well if they see the flagship phone (Lumia 900) having a lifespan of just six months.

I hope Microsoft is not this stupid.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. basically im with the 1st gen gets NO update, 2nd gen does get the update crowd.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I actually don't know if I should be counseling my wife to trade in the 900 for another phone. The upgrade situation is bad enough, but if the app market is split and she won't be able to run the latest apps on her phone, I know she'll be furious. I hope we get some clarity soon, at least before her 30 day return period is up.

PG2G

they very quickly squashed the WP7->WP8 application rumors. Their response to this latest rumor? WP7 apps will work on WP8, other then that we have nothing else to comment on ... not the most inspiring response

Well, one thing they can guarantee, WP7 apps will work on WP8. They can't guarantee what devices get WP8 because that is ultimately up to the carriers and OEMs. They can't say all phones will get WP8 for the same ways that Google can't say all phones will get ICS.

gcubed

I actually don't know if I should be counseling my wife to trade in the 900 for another phone. The upgrade situation is bad enough, but if the app market is split and she won't be able to run the latest apps on her phone, I know she'll be furious. I hope we get some clarity soon, at least before her 30 day return period is up.

I really can't see NO phones getting it. I can't believe it would be that crazy

Well, one thing they can guarantee, WP7 apps will work on WP8. They can't guarantee what devices get WP8 because that is ultimately up to the carriers and OEMs. They can't say all phones will get WP8 for the same ways that Google can't say all phones will get ICS.

when you have rumors saying NO phones will get it, you dont have to change the subject. "Updates are on a phone by phone basis, timing is dependent on the carriers and phone manufacturers"... thats vague enough but still should make people happy

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

just give me the files and I'll do it myself. The thing is out of warranty by then away.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
just give me the files and I'll do it myself. The thing is out of warranty by then away.

This is what has always happened, you can get the 8107 update and put it on your phone in 15 minutes. Most of us in this thread had the mango beta as well. So I'm hoping there is no structural problem where we CAN'T just run a leaked build of Apollo. Then my wife would be SOL with a dead end device in six months. We would both be furious.

hwalker84

Microsoft and Nokia aren't stupid. Nokia's stock in being killed and they're in a rebuilding stage. Good will is key at this moment. Neither company is going to allow the flagship WP7 device to not get the latest update in 6 months. Its not going to happen.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for Nokia if MS fucks them over like this. I hope this gets resolved soon. I was going to recommend the Lumia 900 to a friend, but I don't think I could now.

hwalker84

Tango is already RTM and devices are already available in markets where it matters. Regular users don't really benefit from it, so there's no real pressure to release it asap.

There's MMS and performance improvements. Thats enough reason to try and get it out as soon as possible.

derFeef

Funny thing is 8107 came installed on my 800 even though my carrier does not have approved it yet. Guess the phones come out like that from Nokia?
Have you tried forcing the update, Jallopy?

Raistlin

Tango is already RTM and devices are already available in markets where it matters. Regular users don't really benefit from it, so there's no real pressure to release it asap.
If you're on AT&T, there's a benefit :D

Tango is not even on the NoDo level of importance, unless MMS is a make-or-break feature for you.
It's sad. I really dig the new MMS functionality, but AT&T messaging rates (only offering, $20 for unlimited) has made me move to google voice for normal texting. So no MMS for me except in special circumstances :(

I'm with AT&T, Samsung Focus Flash, and am still waiting on 8107. Hopefully, the Tango update pulls 8107 with it.
It does.

Any update includes all prior changes. AT&T supposedly committed to offering all 'major' revisions (ie. NoDo, Mango, Tango) ... they've just been skipping the minor updates, and instead leaving us hanging until we get them via the next major revision.

kazinova

I feel bad for Nokia if MS fucks them over like this. I hope this gets resolved soon. I was going to recommend the Lumia 900 to a friend, but I don't think I could now.

Don't feel bad for Nokia, they took almost a year to change the software on a phone and re-release it with a new name. They're losing my respect pretty quickly. I was all in on an Apollo Nokia handset but if they aren't bringing the heat in the camera department (their ONLY strength) then I'm tapped out.

Fjolle

Don't feel bad for Nokia, they took almost a year to change the software on a phone and re-release it with a new name. They're losing my respect pretty quickly. I was all in on an Apollo Nokia handset but if they aren't bringing the heat in the camera department (their ONLY strength) then I'm tapped out.

You obviously don't have any idea about what it takes to make a phone, and it was two months.

Also they have stated that they didn't have enough access to the camera in Mango, so we wouldn't see pureview phones with WP till fall.

You obviously don't have any idea about what it takes to make a phone, and it was two months.

Also they have stated that they didn't have enough access to the camera in Mango, so we wouldn't see pureview phones with WP till fall.

This is what I don't get (from WP Central):

Nokia made the Lumia 900 without a BSI (backside-illuminated) sensor and this sensor (which is included in most high end smartphones) increases the amount of photons captured in low light situations. Without this sensor, the Lumia 900 camera struggles for greatness. But in well-lit situations the camera is on par with other comparably priced phones.

...why would they do this?

Netbook News claims to have got its hands on a copy of the “high level agenda” for a Microsoft summit on Windows Phone 8, being held at the company’s UK headquarters in Reading, Berkshire. One of the topics that will be covered at the gathering – where manufacturers and other Windows Phone partners will be present to discuss the next version of the operating system – is that of “Customization & Differentiation opportunities”, leading to speculation that Microsoft will confer greater freedoms on its partners to make changes to the OS and user interface.

Other topics that will be covered at the summit include:

• Apollo Review
  • Windows Phone Schedules and releases plans/processes
  • New Windows Phone 8 application development capabilities
  • ‘What’s new’ feature review of Apollo
  • Connectivity and APN management
  • Better together with Windows 8

Just how far Microsoft might go in allowing its partners to tweak the Windows Phone UI remains anyone’s guess; for now, frustratingly, there remain more questions than answers when it comes to Windows Phone 8.

We know that OEMs are allowed to skin the camera in Apollo, but I hope that's all. I don't want tiles with gradient or images as background or other bullshit.

This is a message to Microsoft and the remaining Windows Phone OEMs:
Don't. Fuck. With. Metro.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
We know that OEMs are allowed to skin the camera in Apollo, but I hope that's all. I don't want tiles with gradient or images as background or other bullshit.

i am sure theyl let you go back to default metro skin.

Raistlin

oh man ... such fail

...why would they do this?
Cost. I don't know why people keep comparing this phone to iPhone and high-end Android units. It's not like BSI's are common in mid-range and lower phones.

gcubed

Differentiation!!

original.jpg

Cutting down on the price, I would think.

Nokia holding back those cards for the Lumia 1000. Hail the Jesusphone.

Cost. I don't know why people keep comparing this phone to iPhone and high-end Android units. It's not like BSI's are common in mid-range and lower phones.

I guess it's just disappointing. It's not anywhere near a deal-breaker for me, but I feel like they had lauded the camera in the months prior, especially when we saw sample N9 pics. Oh well--it's still my next phone.

My source said april-may last week.

It's got delay so carrier can "test" the new build.

In another bad news on top of string of bad news, Windows Phone just lost the new marketing manager they poach from Samsung. Loosing just hire guys can't boast well for moral or direction.

Speaking of that, while I do know that people change job, and move on, it seems Microsoft have a string of high profile personnel change lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom