• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
I don't wanna get the black. But that 100$ credit is so tempting. What do I do. I need a phone to last me at least 2 years. Man I be been al over the place for the last 3-4 months. It's so annoying not havin a cellphone of my own.

EDIT:
Canada only: lumia 710 now on WIND. Pre-register now available.

I cant even imagine life without a cell phone

no this is more like a 1 time deal. i am pretty sure i won't have time to buy a new phone once classes starts.
Better get an iPhone or BlackBerry (not sure if they still sell those in your county). You don't want to be the weird guy no one wants to talk to, because you have a Windows Phone and no cool apps.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Better get an iPhone or BlackBerry (not sure if they still sell those in your county). You don't want to be the weird guy no one wants to talk to, because you have a Windows Phone and no cool apps.

:lol

but seriously if someone doesn't want to meet me because of what phone i use, then i don't think i would want to meet them.

NeOak

:lol when people at college notice I have a Windows Phone they are like "ooooh ahhhh"

ElNino

Are you from the future? This sounds like a nice future compared to my Focus' nose dive at around 4pm everyday.
The Lumia 900 is definitely an upgrade in the battery life department coming from a Focus. I get ~18 hours with 35-40% battery left when I go to bed. With the Focus I would often hit the critical battery warning.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure about the Lumia battery yet. I use my phone a lot during the day though. What brightness settings do you guys use and how many background tasks do you have running? I use medium brightness with auto-off and have weatherflow, prime TV, and WP central running in the background. I just turned off BBC Mobile.

ElNino

I have my Lumia brightness set to Low with Auto Adjust on. I have three email accounts (two set to push, and one hourly) and I have WeatherMaster, PrimeTV and MyStocks Portfolio as background apps.

NeOak

low brightness, email/updates every hour, battery status and power planner background tasks enabled.

I however, use a Dell Venue Pro, but it lasts me all day with ~30% remaining when i go to sleep.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Remaining battery: 35%
Time since last charge: 3 days 2 hours

I could probably use my phone more than I do.

PG2G

@MS_nerd: Time to drop the biggest effin' #tip bomb: Nokia & Microsoft are testing a build of Apollo on the Lumia 610. Not 'performant' enough. Yet.

Ugh, we really won't know shit until its announced, haha.

derFeef

My 800 network speed issues are still present :-/
Anyone experienced this? I have 3G connection, but it's very slow and jumpy in speed tests.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My 800 network speed issues are still present :-/
Anyone experienced this? I have 3G connection, but it's very slow and jumpy in speed tests.

How many bars of service are you getting when you have a slow connection?

Also haters going to hate, but 3G even in the best of times is always slow. We were just so happy cause 2G/Edge or whatever was like living back in the 1200 baud modem BBS days so 3g was like moving up to a 56.6k modem! LOL

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Looks like my phone loses 1.5-2 percentage points per hour on standby, with USA today being the only background task and periodic email retrieval. That's not a very long standby time at all.

kazinova

Focus battery sucks. It is known. Love my Focus for being a solid 1st gen device, but can't wait for decent battery life.

My focus was maybe the worst when it came to batteries because my battery was broken. A new battery is 6 bucks on Amazon and will breath new life into your phone. I can go all day without a recharge running:

~4hours of podcasts
Duudle
Weatherflow
WonderReader
gleek
2 email updates every .5 hours
and random internet clicking for ~1hour

PG2G

They need to come up with a better way of scheduling background tasks. Updating a tile is useless if my phone is locked all night.

frontieruk

My comments on Windows Phone (English)
I recently participated in an interview with the Portuguese website Zwame, where I made some comments on the future of Windows Phone that created confusion. Rumors are swirling, so I feel the need to clarify my statements.
The point I was attempting to make was simply that existing Windows Phone applications will run on the next version of Windows Phone. This is the same guidance that Microsoft shared late last year.
I mistakenly confused app compatibility with phone updateability, which caused the rumors we saw yesterday.  I did not intend to give the impression I was offering new guidance on any products under development or their upgradeability.
While we have given Windows Phone developers this preliminary guidance on app compatibility to help them with long term project planning, Microsoft does not have any further news to share on future products at this time.
As always, you can tell I am very excited about Windows Phone and I hope you are too!
Nuno Silva

So I can see two situations here, MS is now feeding the you won't get the update trolls to make themselves look better when at what ever conference it's announced out some special guest sneaks out behind belfiore taps his should and says btw all handsets get the update.

Ms is trying to kill their market so they can kill the project.

derFeef

How many bars of service are you getting when you have a slow connection?

Also haters going to hate, but 3G even in the best of times is always slow. We were just so happy cause 2G/Edge or whatever was like living back in the 1200 baud modem BBS days so 3g was like moving up to a 56.6k modem! LOL

All bars mostly. I never had problems with my Omnia 7 in that regard. Speed test says 0.21mbps max. If it works it has up to 5 or 6.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MS is doing their best to alienate the few people who bought wp7. Its bad if they dont update existing phones, maybe worse if they plan to and are letting this shitstorm pass them by without comment.

MS is doing their best to alienate the few people who bought wp7. Its bad if they dont update existing phones, maybe worse if they plan to and are letting this shitstorm pass them by without comment.

I guess you can't lose that many customers, when you have "0% market share for all practical purposes".

Blackhead

Redarse
Settle down the pitchforks. Microsoft will probably do another "Smoked by Windows Phone campaign" when Apollo is launched enabling Lumia 900 owners, who won't be getting the update, to swap for the obviously superior WP8 devices. Win-win for everyone

Not a windows phones owner

PG2G

Him backing off of his statement means nothing. Even if what he said was true, its obvious Microsoft had a talk with him and told him to stay with the official party line. It doesn't point to his official statements being true or false.

jey_16

Banned
The amount of Nokia/windows phone stories on the home page of the verge is actually starting to get a bit rediculous now

snap0212

I refuse to believe that MS would be this stupid. If they can't update the phones it would be better for them to say it now than to wait till a month or two before they ship the OS.
Nope, because then people would know that their phones won't get the next update and people might say "I'll just wait because I know what's going to happen".

JaggedSac

Holy crap. They are only saying that WP8 phones can run WP7 apps, and not mentioning anything the other way around. I will not be purchasing a WP8 device in the future if that is the case, I will go Apple. Fuck them for screwing over their initial customers.

The amount of Nokia/windows phone stories on the home page of the verge is actually starting to get a bit rediculous now

DMV3F.jpg

Cipherr

Him backing off of his statement means nothing. Even if what he said was true, its obvious Microsoft had a talk with him and told him to stay with the official party line. It doesn't point to his official statements being true or false.

C'mon now....

gcubed

I refuse to believe that MS would be this stupid. If they can't update the phones it would be better for them to say it now than to wait till a month or two before they ship the OS.

who's going to sign on to sell WP8 phones if they can't sell other phones? All carriers would bail

hwalker84

I can't fathom Microsoft being dumb enough to not release WP8 in all it's entirety to at least the GEN 2 devices. If they are I feel all the good will and underdog attitude we have gained with MS will be thrown out the window and pooped on by a Bear who just had a huge meal.

jagowar

Holy crap. They are only saying that WP8 phones can run WP7 apps, and not mentioning anything the other way around. I will not be purchasing a WP8 device in the future if that is the case, I will go Apple. Fuck them for screwing over their initial customers.

They really should just transition everything to real windows 8 and be done with it. Many of the issues related to windows phone would go away if they pulled the trigger but it would create some new ones with the phone specific bits and real windows.

Blackhead

Redarse
If Apollo doesn't run on current devices then what are developers going to use to beta test their apps and the new OS?

Seriously calm down folks at wait until a bit for an official announcement. Windows Phone enthusiasts got Mango working on the HTC HD2. Palm enthusiasts got webOS 2.0 working on the lowest of hardware. If the worst happens I'm guessing that there will still be some upgrade path available.

They really should just transition everything to real windows 8 and be done with it. Many of the issues related to windows phone would go away if they pulled the trigger but it would create some new ones with the phone specific bits and real windows.

You know Apollo is based on Windows 8, right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wonder if my wife would consider exchanging her Lumia for a One X...

No upgrade to Apollo is devastating enough, but if the app store gets forked and she can't get any of the wp8 apps, essentially capping her app store to whatever is available pre-Apollo....that's just brutally unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom