• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

ElNino

I'm excited to see what Apollo offers, feel bad for you guys who just bought the Lumia 900 and are about to get screwed royally though.
Even if the 900 doesn't get an Apollo upgrade... how am I getting screwed when I am essentially getting paid $50 to upgrade to the 900 (from a Focus) for a year?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I'm in Canada (on Rogers), and I can upgrade my phone every 12 months.

i don't. i had to wait three years before i could get off my iphone (3g). and just becuase you can switch phones every year doesn't mean you can change providers every 2 years like you can in the US. also paying 40$ for 100 mb/ 200 mins a month isn't a deal, you make it the fastest network ever, but its no good if you can't use it.

ElNino

i don't. i had to wait three years before i could get off my iphone (3g). and just becuase you can switch phones every year doesn't mean you can change providers every 2 years like you can in the US. also paying 40$ for 100 mb/ 200 mins a month isn't a deal, you make it the fastest network ever, but its no good if you can't use it.
Sounds like you have a bad plan then, you should consider calling retentions and getting a better deal. Yes, you can't change carriers as easily as you can in the US, but you can't use other carriers to negotioate better plans with your current one (on Rogers at least).

My plan is gives me 250 daytime minutes (unlimited evenings/weekends) and 6GB LTE data (with WiFi hotspot/tethering included) for about $50+taxes and I can upgrade my hardware every 12 months.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Sounds like you have a bad plan then, you should consider calling retentions and getting a better deal. Yes, you can't change carriers as easily as you can in the US, but you can't use other carriers to negotioate better plans with your current one (on Rogers at least).

My plan is gives me 250 daytime minutes (unlimited evenings/weekends) and 6GB LTE data (with WiFi hotspot/tethering included) for about $50+taxes and I can upgrade my hardware every 12 months.

what the fuck is up with that plan. everytime i try to talk to them (i never argue. i try to be nice about it.) they shit on me, like ill be back.

also i am not currently with any provider. i am just waiting till the new iphones and droids and WPs come out, then ill make my choice.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

My Rogers plan is definitely not that good. I pay $79 for 1GB LTE data, 200 mins (unlimited evenings and weekends), unlimited texting and call display. I can upgrade after a year I think but it aint cheap. I got my Lumia 900 through a exchange at best buy so my term didn't change at least.

Your plan must be some legacy plan or something.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
From WMPoweruser:

Huawei’s Senior Vice President Yu Chengdong confirmed, after a meeting with Steve Ballmer at the Windows Partner Summit in Tokyo, that the company would be creating a Windows Phone 8 handset.

Calling Huawei the “world’s first the WP8 phone supplier !”, the company is expected to produce low-cost Windows Phone 8 hardware, which raises hope that the OS will support current generation hardware also as an upgrade.

The announcement confirms earlier rumours, which had the company having 70 engineers working on a Windows Phone 8 handset with a 4 inch screen which will cost only 2,000 CNY (317 USD),

ElNino

My Rogers plan is definitely not that good. I pay $79 for 1GB LTE data, 200 mins (unlimited evenings and weekends), unlimited texting and call display. I can upgrade after a year I think but it aint cheap. I got my Lumia 900 through a exchange at best buy so my term didn't change at least.

Your plan must be some legacy plan or something.
My voice plan is a legacy plan which is what gets me the 12 month hardware upgrade, but the current plans I was quoted were only about $5 more per month but gave more text messages and voice minutes in the package and bumped the hardware upgrade to 18 months. I decided to pay for a $5 text message bundle but keep my old voice plan (which is 5 years old).

For data, I was on a 6GB BlackBerry plan (for about $25/month) until I got the Lumia in which case I simply called Rogers and asked if I could convert my plan to LTE. They did it on the spot, with no hassles.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My voice plan is a legacy plan which is what gets me the 12 month hardware upgrade, but the current plans I was quoted were only about $5 more per month but gave more text messages and voice minutes in the package and bumped the hardware upgrade to 18 months. I decided to pay for a $5 text message bundle but keep my old voice plan (which is 5 years old).

For data, I was on a 6GB BlackBerry plan (for about $25/month) until I got the Lumia in which case I simply called Rogers and asked if I could convert my plan to LTE. They did it on the spot, with no hassles.

Thats pretty sweet. Thats the benefit for being with a provider for a some time I guess. The plans currently are not very good.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

thats why. theres no way i would get that today.

ElNino

Thats pretty sweet. Thats the benefit for being with a provider for a some time I guess. The plans currently are not very good.
I know Rogers gets plenty of complaints (many of them valid), but everytime I've gone to them with an issue they have been great at resolving my concerns. I've been on Rogers for about 15 years or so, but I'm not sure if that really makes a difference.

Back on topic for WP, I used my Lumia 900 to navigate this weekend and it worked great. Using Nokia Drive, I downloaded the Ontario maps (about 95MB) over WiFi before I used it and then was able to navigate even when I lost my data connection. It took me different directions going to/from which might have been due to traffic (I would have chosen the same way knowing the traffic patterns) or it might have been a fluke. Regardless, I used the app to navigate for about two hours and it only used 20% of my battery, which is much better than I thought it would. The only problem is I had to keep the Lumia in my cup holder which means I had to look away from the road to see it, but if I could get a mount for my air vents I think it would work very well.

JaggedSac

Its cute that people think how smooth an OS is matters in any realistic sense. if you run iOS on anything but the latest hardware its jittery all over the place.

It matters to me, especially coming from a janky ass Droid Eris. Never will I buy non-capable hardware+OS again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I know Rogers gets plenty of complaints (many of them valid), but everytime I've gone to them with an issue they have been great at resolving my concerns. I've been on Rogers for about 15 years or so, but I'm not sure if that really makes a difference.

Back on topic for WP, I used my Lumia 900 to navigate this weekend and it worked great. Using Nokia Drive, I downloaded the Ontario maps (about 95MB) over WiFi before I used it and then was able to navigate even when I lost my data connection. It took me different directions going to/from which might have been due to traffic (I would have chosen the same way knowing the traffic patterns) or it might have been a fluke. Regardless, I used the app to navigate for about two hours and it only used 20% of my battery, which is much better than I thought it would. The only problem is I had to keep the Lumia in my cup holder which means I had to look away from the road to see it, but if I could get a mount for my air vents I think it would work very well.

Yeah, I like Nokia Drive too. I got a vent holder for my Lumia and it works great for navigation and changing music, etc. I also invested in a good bluetooth, makes a world of difference when sending voice to text messages.

Commodore

Gimme a link, I need a new battery too.

I have a theory that Samsung batteries wear out much quicker than other OEM batteries. The Focus S got rave reviews for battery life, and I do remember my battery life being really good at first, but now I have to charge up twice a day. I leave work with a full charge and am almost dead in the morning with mostly sleep in between.

Van, I just searched Amazon/Ebay for a reputable seller that claimed to offer OEM Samsung Focus (in my case, i917) compatible batteries. I tried to steer away from third party stuff, heard they drop off on a charge pretty quick. Found one that sounded decent on eBay and so far, the new battery is holding up nicely.

Also, found this tip via r/windowsphone subreddit. Never knew this:

People probably already know this, but I accidentally came across this feature.
If you're in Internet Explorer and highlight a word or sentence and then press the search button on your phone, it will automatically search for that highlighted text using the Bing search

Commodore

shiiiit. thats pretty cool

Shiiiiiiiiiii--followed a link in the thread and found another I didn't know:

You can press and slide from the the function keys (shift, "&123", and smileys) to quickly add one of the other characters and it will instantly switch back to keyboard when you let go. Also you can press and hold on vowels and the period key for more options.

Well, I knew about holding down on the period and vowels, but the shift trick? Awesome keyboard is now awesomer.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

venne

Article taken from Windows 8 thread

Stevie Ballmer said:
The new Microsoft system will support a wider range of devices, including touch- and stylus-based smartphones and tablet PCs as well as desktop and laptop machines, Ballmer said.

So has Ballmer essentially said that Apollo and Windows 8 are one in the same?

He also says that he expects 500 million Windows 8 users by the end of next year. I don't see how they come close without including phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not sure how this would work (then again I'm not sure how it works on Android either), but going off that comment they mentioned stylus based.

So if we could get a Samsung Galaxy Note the Windows Phone variant would any of you people buy one? Provided it actually worked and all of course.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I love the screen, but the Note is simply too big. I'm on 4.3 right now and this is probably as big as I'll go. In fact, I may go to 4" flat depending on the models available when I'm ready to upgrade. I already own a tablet I barely use, and the way I use my phone it needs to be fit for one handed use.

I'm not sure how this would work (then again I'm not sure how it works on Android either), but going off that comment they mentioned stylus based.

So if we could get a Samsung Galaxy Note the Windows Phone variant would any of you people buy one? Provided it actually worked and all of course.
I don't really like phone with a screen bigger than 4". Even the Lumia 900 seems way too big for me. I'm still hoping for an Xperia S/P with Apollo.

venne

It depends. I am pretty certain that I want a tablet with a stylus for my next communication device. I want it as small as possible and I don't want to pay for minutes other than something like T-Mobile's $35 100 minute data buffet plan.

If the Apollo Note can do both, I'd definitely consider it.

Blackhead

Redarse

I would buy it day one if it had a proper OneNote app. The galaxy note with ICS is the first device good enough to replace my small notebooks. I'll always have a device like this from now on even if I get another smaller phone along the line.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not sure how what would work?

Note version for WP. They'd have to heavily modify the system OS to get stylus support working across the system and apps as a whole, and unlike Android it's not open source. So Samsung would have to get MS to do a lot of extra work.

I'm not sure what extent Samsung had to go to with Android to get everything working on top of what was already there OS wise.

Just received the 900, am I doing it right IT-GAF?

nWqFE.jpg

kehs

Banned
Note version for WP. They'd have to heavily modify the system OS to get stylus support working across the system and apps as a whole, and unlike Android it's not open source. So Samsung would have to get MS to do a lot of extra work.

I'm not sure what extent Samsung had to go to with Android to get everything working on top of what was already there OS wise.

Ah ok, well if what they alluded to with Windows 8 being for phones as well, then all that stylus stuff is already in play, so they wouldn't have to muck about too much.

Android has external HID support for a while now. Samsung had to do their own pressure sensitivity stuff before ICS, but it's part of ICS now. Stylus is just like a finger for the most part so there isn't much to change over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom