• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how this would work (then again I'm not sure how it works on Android either), but going off that comment they mentioned stylus based.

So if we could get a Samsung Galaxy Note the Windows Phone variant would any of you people buy one? Provided it actually worked and all of course.

No, I like by 4.7" on the Titan, but anything larger than that would be too big for me.

The drama goes on.

Today I was tipped off to “something big” by a trusted source:

Waggener Edstrom person says MSFT has Windows 8 (for x86), Windows RT (for next-gen ARM), & Windows Phone 8 (for current-gen phones).​

Most of the information in that quote is already known but the most interesting part of it is that Windows Phone 8 is for current generation phones. The reason why this is interesting is that a Waggener Edstrom rep (Microsoft’s PR company) has said this, it’s not something that they are likely to get wrong. The issue of whether Microsoft is going to offer Windows Phone 8 for current devices has been rumoured back and forth for the past few months with well respected members of the community apparently being tipped off with conflicting information.

I was also provided with some additional information that states that there will be more “leaks” corroborating this information next week with an official announcement in a few weeks time.
http://mymicrosoftlife.com/2012/05/23/rep-says-that-windows-phone-8-is-for-current-gen-phones/

The timing is funny, because MS Nerd was sellinggiving information out on Twitter some minutes ago.

I used to be one of the normal people T_T
I didn't ask for this.

You used to be normal but now you're better. Now have a seat and wait for Apollo™.

Milchjon

Wordament German beta, woo!

Just tried it, weirdest experience ever. After playing the English version for hours and hours, I just COULD NOT get my brain to switch over. I usually finish in the 90% range against more than 1000 players worldwide. In German? Somewhere around 60%!

derFeef

Just tried it, weirdest experience ever. After playing the English version for hours and hours, I just COULD NOT get my brain to switch over. I usually finish in the 90% range against more than 1000 players worldwide. In German? Somewhere around 60%!

Very weird indeed, and some weird words too... stuff you would never say, but those words exist in connection with different cases.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
All this positives rumors as of late are reassuring <3.

Don't let us down MS.
meh flash beign pre installed wasn't a great rumor. but at least itl give tablets a leg up ..... yea right >_>.

BRING ON APOLLO. MY PHONE IS READY.
sS9sp.gif

It looks like my phone is crapping out on me. Two weeks ago it did a semi-reset and put the clock and calendar back to 1/1/1980, broke the Windows Live integration and it rebooted itself at least once a day. Two days ago I finally did a hard-reset and now I can't sync anything with the Zune software anymore. No music, no photos, I can't change the sync relationship from guest to main device and when I want to drag and drop the music in the Zune software, it simply ignores it.

I should've listened to the LG haters.

Vesa Jutila, Head of Product Marketing for the incoming 808 PureView, said that there was plenty more high-spec digital imaging products in the pipeline. While he wasn't about to be drawn on specifics for any future Lumia-Pureview unions just yet, there were "multiple ways" that Nokia could run with its new imaging jewel. Slimmer models are a possibility, still containing high-end Zeiss optics and Nokia's oversampling techniques avoiding the need for optical zoom. He added that the next generation of Nokia camera sensors are already being worked on -- the 808 PureView was borne from an idea back in 2007. Jutila included one more soupçon of information: future PureView products "would not necessarily have the same 41-megapixel sensor"
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/the-future-for-nokia-pureview-possible-slimmer-models-and-not/

I'd like to see a Lumia Windows Phone that doesn't look like Quasimodo, even if it comes with only 20 or 30 MP.

It's used.

Call Nokia and give it a shot.

kharma45

It looks like my phone is crapping out on me. Two weeks ago it did a semi-reset and put the clock and calendar back to 1/1/1980, broke the Windows Live integration and it rebooted itself at least once a day. Two days ago I finally did a hard-reset and now I can't sync anything with the Zune software anymore. No music, no photos, I can't change the sync relationship from guest to main device and when I want to drag and drop the music in the Zune software, it simply ignores it.

I should've listened to the LG haters.

That's shit :\ My Optimus 7 has been pretty much flawless so far with regards to reliability.

It's used.

My brother was told by a local Nokia repair station here that doesn't matter and they'll still do warranty work on it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Get a new phone brot. Dont you international guys have "Le Ebay" or some other copy of our awesome American companies that will allow you to buy a cheap phone with your colorful, funny looking version of American dollars?

Get a new phone brot. Dont you international guys have "Le Ebay" or some other copy of our awesome American companies that will allow you to buy a cheap phone with your colorful, funny looking version of American dollars?

That really made me laugh, thanks.

I'm thinking about getting a used Omnia 7 or even a GS II, but maybe I should wait for Apollo. A phone that reboots 5-7 times during the day isn't that bad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'll mail you like $20 US American dollars. I haven't kept up with exchange rates, but that's probably like 15 million of your local dollars in Eurasia or wherever you live.

Edit: don't get an android phone, cause you won't be able to discuss the amazing changes in Tango with us next month when it rolls out. MS will probably release it the same day as their conference, so we will be too distracted by all the new features to realize that they just announced we won't get Apollo.

kharma45

That really made me laugh, thanks.

I'm thinking about getting a used Omnia 7 or even a GS II, but maybe I should wait for Apollo. A phone that reboots 5-7 times during the day isn't that bad.

Looking at the Omnia 7 here on eBay it goes for a lot more than I thought, for not too much more you can get an HTC Radar in the UK.

Looking at the Omnia 7 here on eBay it goes for a lot more than I thought, for not too much more you can get an HTC Radar in the UK.

That would probably be the better idea. I don't really want another first-gen phone, but I still like the design of the Omnia 7.

Hey, I wasn't kidding. I'm always open minded when it comes to phones and platforms. Checking out the current state of Android is never a bad idea and I can see how long I'll last before I puke all over the phone.

kharma45

That would probably be the better idea. I don't really want another first-gen phone, but I still like the design of the Omnia 7.

Aye I wouldn't go for another first gen phone, the difference in smoothness in third party apps between them and the second gen phones is night and day.

Hey, I wasn't kidding. I'm always open minded when it comes to phones and platforms. Checking out the current state of Android is never a bad idea and I can see how long I'll last before I puke all over the phone.

If you were looking at Android the GS2 isn't a bad shout, nor is the Nexus S which would be pretty cheap I'd reckon used.

Aye I wouldn't go for another first gen phone, the difference in smoothness in third party apps between them and the second gen phones is night and day.

If you were looking at Android the GS2 isn't a bad shout, nor is the Nexus S which would be pretty cheap I'd reckon used.

Just checked the prices for the Radar and for about 30 bucks more I could get a cyan Lumia 800 or a new Omnia W/Focus Flash for the same price. Meeeeh.

And isn't the Nexus S pretty much two year old hardware? I can't see how that would run Android 4.0 well enough. It would also cost as much as the Radar.

If you load ics on a gs2, you may actually end up liking android, in not sure that's a risk you should take.

Not only that, but imagine me dropping the WP OT and working on the Jelly Bean OT instead! The horror!

kharma45

Just checked the prices for the Radar and for about 30 bucks more I could get a cyan Lumia 800 or a new Omnia W/Focus Flash for the same price. Meeeeh.

And isn't the Nexus S pretty much two year old hardware? I can't see how that would run Android 4.0 well enough. It would also cost as much as the Radar.

Lumia 800 would be the no brainer then, surprised at the price difference being so small. You can get a Radar here for £99.95, a Lumia 710 for £130 but the 800 costs £235 for a refurb model.

As for the Nexus S yes it's running hardware similar to our second gen WP phones but with stock Android it's reasonably quick from what I've seen of it (probably due to HW acceleration).

http://youtu.be/mtOAtmSHqGE?hd=1

Performance looks good to be even with a LWP.

PG2G

Facebook update is out, you can force it with the normal trick (going to it in marketplace, hitting back, then going back to it to enable the update button).

3.3 Million Windows Phones shipped in Q1, +26% compared to the previous quarter, but Microsoft still loses marketshare.

The report reveals that Microsoft's mobile platforms, including both Windows Phone and Windows Mobile, dropped from a 2.6 percent global market share in the first quarter of 2011 to a 2.2 percent global market share for the first quarter of 2012. The decrease in market share comes despite an increase in over half a million additional Windows Phone shipments; 3.3 million Windows Phones were shipped in the first quarter of this year, compared to just 2.6 million in the first quarter last year (an increase of 26.9 percent).

In the report, IDC states that 2012 will be a year in which Microsoft and Nokia boost their global shipment volumes, although the firm expects a slow growth for the Windows Phone platform:

Windows Mobile/Windows Phone has yet to make significant inroads in the worldwide smartphone market, but 2012 should be considered a ramp-up year for Nokia and Microsoft to boost volumes. Until Nokia speeds the cadence of its smartphone releases or more vendors launch their own Windows Phone-powered smartphones, IDC anticipates slow growth for the operating system.​

Android and iOS saw the largest increase in global market share at the expense of Nokia's Symbian platform. Android went from a 36.1 percent market share to a 59 percent market share; iOS went from a market share of 18.3% to a market share of 23 percent.

I hate jelly beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom