• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Yes, there is. Nokia already talked about making slimmer phones with smaller sensors. I don't need the full 41 MP monster, but I like the tech.

yeah, i dont think pureview will really be successful in its full glory due to the massive hump. People dont need a 41mp equivalent anyway, so they need to use the tech and slim it down.

Why are the back/windows buttons on the back of the device?

Why are the back/windows buttons on the back of the device?

That's the front of the device and it's curved, like the GN was supposed to be.

Remember?

2xM2Q.png

gcubed

That's the front of the device and it's curved, like the GN was supposed to be.

Remember?

http://i.imgur.com/2xM2Q.png[/I1MG][/QUOTE]

oh, that pureview logo made me thing that was the sensor, looking at it again it's just the logo on the "screen"... anyway, its only a few weeks until we most likely see phones, i'm just impressed/upset we haven't gotten really anything

venne

Yes, there is. Nokia already talked about making slimmer phones with smaller sensors. I don't need the full 41 MP monster, but I like the tech.

Sure, compromises can be made and they can label these devices Pureview as well. Instead of a 41M pixel sensor they could use a 20M pixel and offer, let's say, a 2x zoom instead of 3x. Images won't be as clean due to less information to process and a smaller sensor size, but probably good enough for most.

I'd rather have the real deal, personally. I don't mind sacrificing some form for function.

oh, that pureview logo made me thing that was the sensor, looking at it again it's just the logo on the "screen"... anyway, its only a few weeks until we most likely see phones, i'm just impressed/upset we haven't gotten really anything

Nah, we won't see phones at the developer summit. Last year they showed some Mango phones at WPC, but this year WPC is only two weeks after the summit. So I doubt that we'll see anything there as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If that concept phone is the only pure view device available when it's time for my upgrade, I'll still consider it. I'd just hide it in my pocket all the time until I have to snap a photo.

PG2G

I thought the Mango phone announcements came in September last year. Which is coincidentally when Nokia World is..

I thought the Mango phone announcements came in September last year. Which is coincidentally when Nokia World is..

Mango was teased in February at MWC 2011, announced at MIX 11 in April 2011. Then Microsoft showed the Focus S, the Fujistu whatever and ZTE poorpeople at the World Partner Conference. Real announcements were made in late September, you're right.

I was planning on going to that developer summit in San Fran, but there's been no information released about signups. I had to cancel my plans to fly up :(

Francisco Jeronimo, research manager for European mobile devices at IDC, said that Windows Phone shipments for the first quarter of 2012 were up 156 percent, year-on-year. In total, Windows Phone market share grew to 4.1 percent, up from 2.2 percent, according to figures from IDC's first-quarter 2012 mobile phone shipment and market share report, released on Friday.

However, while Windows Phone is enjoying more support, it is not helping to turn Nokia's fortunes around, according to Jeronimo.

"The Nokia Lumia range has performed interestingly but it still below expectations," Jeronimo said. "Nokia's new Windows phones to be launched this year will continue to contribute to steady growth for the OS."

He added that Windows Phone would continue to make gains throughout 2012 and that "the new Windows Phone 8 handsets to be launched by manufacturers are drawing attention from operators in Europe".

Microsoft's gains came at the expense of Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS and the Symbian platform.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/tech-t...android-take-bite-out-of-blackberry-10026270/

Operators interested in Windows Phone 8 is actually kinda scary. I like the fact that you can uninstall any crapware on Windows Phone. :(

giga

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/tech-t...android-take-bite-out-of-blackberry-10026270/

Operators interested in Windows Phone 8 is actually kinda scary. I like the fact that you can uninstall any crapware on Windows Phone. :(
Interesting that IDC's numbers are different from IDC's numbers. Is this dude talking about Europe only?

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23503312

Windows Mobile/Windows Phone has yet to make significant inroads in the worldwide smartphone market, but 2012 should be considered a ramp-up year for Nokia and Microsoft to boost volumes. Until Nokia speeds the cadence of its smartphone releases or more vendors launch their own Windows Phone-powered smartphones, IDC anticipates slow growth for the operating system.

ibpTk.png

June 21 can't come soon enough.

Excited for that as much as WWDC; not really too excited about Google I/O. I expect the next version of Android to be iterative.

thirty

Banned
I'm calling it now, Skype will be included in WP8 and carriers will charge for it, when not using WiFi. no way carriers are this excited for a platform just because. gotta be new revenue streams for the carriers to be this excited.

I'm calling it now, Skype will be included in WP8 and carriers will charge for it, when not using WiFi. no way carriers are this excited for a platform just because. gotta be new revenue streams for the carriers to be this excited.

how could they do that? why would voip be charged for. i mean you can use skype now on any other system without extra charge, right=?

Wouldn't they go against the whole point of using Skype?

PG2G

I'm optimistic, so it just means that the platform has a lot of potential and might make for a good third pillar. The carriers could get whatever they want, but if they dont think the phones have potential to sell then there wouldn't be any excitement.

I hope

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
its not this. but i will agree that its strange that the devil upstairs would want windows phone 8 to succeed

thirty

Banned
I expect Skype to be overhauled for all platforms. again, free on WiFi but a fee when using on your carrier's network. I understand it is using data, but the whole carrier excitement for WP8 along with lack of Skype news makes me suspicious.

thirty

Banned
heck, WiFi hotspot feature should be free but carriers block that from every platform but WP7. so don't say charging for Skype isn't beyond what the carriers are capable of.

thirty

Banned
well why use Skype?

if MS bakes it into W8, creates a metro app, integrates with Facebook, it could be the default cross platform VoIP.

Blackhead

Redarse
June 21 can't come soon enough.

Excited for that as much as WWDC; not really too excited about Google I/O. I expect the next version of Android to be iterative.
Early rumors said that Jellybean would have game-changing features held back from ICS. Google and Microsoft have the most to gain by radicaly changing their OS. Judging by last year's show, Apple is content to go after low hanging fruit already cultivated by other platforms. Traditionally Apple's conference has been the most hyped but if one of the headlining features this year is going to be a turn-by-turn directions, who cares.

Early rumors said that Jellybean would have game-changing features held back from ICS. Google and Microsoft have the most to gain by radicaly changing their OS. Judging by last year's show, Apple is content to go after low hanging fruit already cultivated by other platforms. Traditionally Apple's conference has been the most hyped but if one of the headlining features this year is going to be a turn-by-turn directions, who cares.
We'll see; I just question how much Google can "radically change" their OS when they just did and are finally starting to get developers to adhere to guidelines.

Blackhead

Redarse
We'll see; I just question how much Google can "radically change" their OS when they just did and are finally starting to get developers to adhere to guidelines.

Perhaps 'change' was the wrong word. Radical 'improvements' could be on the agenda instead of mild iterations.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You know which platform has terrific scrolling? Windows Phone.

Except in some third party apps when you come back to them through the multitasker. /disclaimer

frontieruk

You know which platform has terrific scrolling? Windows Phone.

Except in some third party apps when you come back to them through the multitasker. /disclaimer

Or in IE man that takes forever to scroll down a long ass page and you can't speed it up no matter how fast you drag it :(

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's something I miss from Android when one big fast swipe would get you to the bottom of the page in no time.

the only way that's getting fixed is with a sizable memory upgrade and even then it probably won't work like it does on the desktop.

Wow, Tango phones are seriously crippled.

They do however also note that besides the much ballyhooed inability to install Skype, a number of other big-name apps such as the video calling app Tango, the rather famous Angry Birds and even the football game PES will not install on the handset.

While Microsoft has said only 5% of apps in Marketplace will not install on Tango handsets, they did not say the 5% consist largely of the best apps in Marketplace.

In short, while Microsoft has preserved the signature fluidity of the OS, they have seriously compromised the access to headline apps in Marketplace, something I think buyers should be made aware of before they buy the phone, not after they get home.

PG2G

Hopefully now that developers know that these devices exist, they will be a little less lazy when using memory in future apps. There really isn't any reason a game like Angry Birds has to use excessive memory, it ran on the iPhone 3G and 3GS just fine.

I wonder if Silverlight/XNA are just heavy on memory usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom