• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mango was teased in February at MWC 2011, announced at MIX 11 in April 2011. Then Microsoft showed the Focus S, the Fujistu whatever and ZTE poorpeople at the World Partner Conference. Real announcements were made in late September, you're right.

hahahahahahahah oh wow, that phone name slayed me!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
ZTE-Tania.jpg

The ZTE PoorPeople is actually a decent looking phone for, well, poor people.

I need an upgrade, my HD7 is getting old...and a little rusted on the buttons...i think i need a new phone but WP8 is just around the corner....this is killing me

thirty

Banned
hd7 here too. working fine but fake chrome surrounding phone is chipping, odd since I've always kept a case on it. that's HTC for you.

I remember back in the day making claims about how HTC was going to take the world by storm. Their touch, touch-diamond era phones were absolutely stunning. It's nice to see one of my mobile predictions were dead-on (in addition to my Android prediction way back when).

Feelsgood.gif

Ugh, Nokia is getting boring.
More interesting they have the first news of what one of Nokia’s new Windows Phone 8 handsets will look like, saying it will continue the current Nokia Lumia 800/900 styling, apparently looking “almost identical”.

The Verge will trash them for that and I can't blame them.

Milchjon

And maybe, just maybe, better solutions for the chrome strip on the back and the flap over the USB slot.

Otherwise, I'm ok with that.

tino

Banned
ZTE-Tania.jpg

The ZTE PoorPeople is actually a decent looking phone for, well, poor people.

It's really not a ZTE Poor People. It's more like ZTE HereYouGoDon'tSueMe.

ZTE doesn't want to pay as high a patent fee to MS for the Android phones they sell, so they agree to flash WP7 on one of their Android phone.

ZTE doesn't care about this phone, neither do the rest of the world.

After everyone and their mother shat on HTC for using the same design over and over again, you guys are suddenly okay with Nokia for using the same design for over a year?

After everyone and their mother shat on HTC for using the same design over and over again, you guys are suddenly okay with Nokia for using the same design for over a year?
I doubt Nokia will ever be able to top that design.

I feel the Lumia design is wasted on the current phones anyways.

PG2G

The tech world was already a little upset that they just copied the N9 for their wp7 debut. Hate to see what happens if they stick to the same. I guess everyone got over that though.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Nokia is running out of money, so it will most likely be the same with their design. Can't wait for the Lumia 800-ish tablet.
see i can't blame them for copying their own design for a couple years, cuz apple does it to. but to go three years strait and a tablet would become a reason for me to grab my torch and pitchforks.
The tech world was already a little upset that they just copied the N9 for their wp7 debut. Hate to see what happens if they stick to the same. I guess everyone got over that though.
fuck what tech blogs think. they wouldn't know design if it slapped them across the face leaving behind a stylish five finger imprint their kids would inherit.

So you really would be fine to get basically the same phone/design a fourth time? Your life must be boring.

i kinda wish one of their apollo devices uses this design, because i like it a lot but an not willing to upgrade now! but i would be fine if they made new ones which also look as fresh as the current design still is

So you really would be fine to get basically the same phone/design a fourth time? Your life must be boring.
He probably doesn't own an N9/Lumia.

I'm excited about them reusing the same design with improvements because I find that design amazing yet the current devices aren't up to my standards enough for me to buy them.

I'm excited about them reusing the same design with improvements because I find that design amazing yet the current devices aren't up to my standards enough for me to buy them.

"Introducing the new Lumia. Now with good hardware."

I can totally see that.

Raistlin

lol

• The 800/900 has received basically unprecedented design awards and praise. It's the most critically acclaimed design other than iPhone 4/4S. Moreover, it hasn't been parroted in terms of form-factor and materials. It's still unique withing the phone marketplace.

• The N9 and Meego is dead and had essentially zero penetration and distribution. Almost no one is even aware of it. For all intents and purposes the 800/900 was the start - making this a 6 month old design or less.

• Apple has had no issues repeating designs for more than a year, and that's with a nearly saturated market (relatively). In the case of the 800/900 it's in a ecosystem that is seeing very high growth, and even within that ecosystem it still has relatively modest distribution. You can't get them in all regions, and even in the regions they are available ... they're still only running on a subset of carriers. It isn't even remotely saturated ... at all.

• The 800/900 aren't the only designs by Nokia. The 7xx and 6xx lines are already out and are different. More importantly they have made it clear that their current WP7 offerings are only the beginning. Nokia historically makes TONS of different models ... and they plan to do the same for WP8 as the market continues to expand. Hell, we know for a fact that the WP8 PureView phone can't have the same form-factor as the 800/900. There will be tons of other ones as well, both lower and higher end.

Seriously ... what you're saying is crazy talk and completely ignorant of the market.

No ... I have a Lumia 900. Got it once I heard about the $100 rebate. My Focus is being relegated to a dev phone.

dLMN8R

I don't see why it would be a problem for Nokia to use a similar design for WP8 handsets. Still practically no one has them or has ever seen them, and it would be a stupid, unnecessary cost to change the manufacturing line once again. Extra costs are the last thing Nokia needs right now.

Specifically, why would The Verge have a problem with it? Their issues were never with the physical design, it was with the software and ecosystem.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure someone over at The Verge said something about how they'd like to see Nokia keep the Lumia design and just continue to make minor refinements as and when they're needed.

I'm sure it was on that podcast where they had people call in so Josh could troll them "you don't know what I know" etc

I think this was also mentioned -> http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/5/2925401/status-symbols-rega-rp1-turntable

I personally like the Lumia design and I'll probably get the WP8 version when I upgrade.

gcubed

The Nokia is still the best of a niche phone at this point. The majority of the public hasn't "seen" it... maybe if apollo sells millions on it it could get stale, but no need to do much more than refine it at this point. Its a dead sexy phone.

Commodore

"Introducing the new Lumia. Now with good hardware."

I can totally see that.

Come now, we're the 5%. The phone design is still far away into the fringe still. Hipsters can still claim no one knows about it. There is still some allure to it. I'll give them a pass if they opt for the same design this year with competitive specs. But next year if they rehash it then, then we can push over tables and get mad. Plus they've said they plan on a ton of different phones anyhow. Awesome design is still awesome.

dLMN8R

It's just a false premise to imply that using the same chassis "4 times" actually means anything. Nokia has sold at best what, a few million total of those devices? Practically no one on earth has actually seen it. It's essentially still unique, still brand new, regardless of how long it's been on the market before. It would be absolutely stupid to abandon the design at this point.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

They're beautiful phones. Why throw away that design when you could reuse it with up-to-date hardware?

Sure eventually you'd want something new but I see no reason to throw out designs every few months just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom