• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

The BBC’s Ian Walker told Neowin that “BBC iPlayer is already on over 500 platforms and devices, including Virgin Media, BT Vision, FreeSat, Freeview, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and hundreds of mobile phones, tablets and Internet-connected TVs. We are always looking at new and existing platforms to bring BBC iPlayer to, but we have no plans to launch a BBC iPlayer native app in Windows Phone Marketplace in the immediate future.”
http://www.neowin.net/news/bbc-denies-plans-for-iplayer-app-for-windows-phone

Commodore

Annnd Nokia just posted this to their Facebook page:

mseQH.jpg

Milchjon

Is there a bearable eBook reader app? Kindle isn't localized (need an amazon.com account), and the Nokia app isn't even available :-/

O2 Germany is getting the Lumia 900 with 32 GB of storage and are in negotiations with Microsoft for a carrier billing service.

O2 Germany has confirmed that its version of the Nokia Lumia 900 will come with 32GB of internal storage. The bump over the 16GB unit was first revealed via the carrier's product page for the device, making us wonder if it was a typo, but an O2 representative has said via Twitter that the information is indeed correct. Like the UK model, the German Lumia 900 will be offered in white from the start. There's no word on whether or not the expanded storage will be making its way to the US or elsewhere, but between this and the UK's limited Batman edition it looks like Europe is getting all the Lumia fun right now.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/29/3049462/32gb-nokia-lumia-900-confirmed-o2-germany

Once again, universal search is supposed to come to Windows Phone. This time it's Apollo instead of Tango.

According to our anonymous tipster, unlike in WP7, where you have to swipe to the left in order to see your apps and search icon, Windows Phone 8 features the very same icon in front of the start screen, just below the arrow icon and before the third icon.

Once user clicks the search icon and starts typing the words, Windows Phone 8 will search for relevant keywords across the system, this includes: contacts, apps, games and more.

So what does that mean? It means that in order for you to quickly call someone, you no longer have to go to the address book. Simply start typing his/her name from the home page and perform desired action.
http://www.insideris.com/windows-phone-8-features-global-search/

new nokia phones maybecome water proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CaAL3PTbBJw
i am cool with that.
Not the Lumias, though.

Somewhere along the way, the two topics have grown conflated, which Nokia has clarified was not Conor's intent: "he did not say that Superhydrophobic coatings would be coming to future Pureview and Lumia devices." So yes, the ultimate goal of any research lab endeavor is indeed for those efforts to materialize in shipping devices, but no, Nokia isn't planning to unleash a whole new range of waterproof Lumias on us — however tempting that might sound.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/29/3049476/nokia-lumia-no-waterproof-coating

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Having a search icon and a search button is just bad design. Expand the functionality of the search button, a Bing search rather than a bing/universal/contextual search is a waste of a button.

Troll

Banned
Having a search icon and a search button is just bad design. Expand the functionality of the search button, a Bing search rather than a bing/universal/contextual search is a waste of a button.

Long press the search button for universal search. Easy since the other buttons have long press functions.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Long press the search button for universal search. Easy since the other buttons have long press functions.

There you go, a nice power user suggestion. Having a search icon on the home screen with the same logo as the Bing button at the bottom of the phone makes no damn sense.

Edit: my suggestion would be a page with two panes when you hit the phone's search button in an app: universal search and in app contextual results, then swipe over once for Bing results.

gcubed

There you go, a nice power user suggestion. Having a search icon on the home screen with the same logo as the Bing button at the bottom of the phone makes no damn sense.

Edit: my suggestion would be a page with two panes when you hit the phone's search button in an app: universal search and in app contextual results, then swipe over once for Bing results.

why make it that difficult? Do it the same way android uses it, have an icon next to the search result (contact card, music, app, browser, etc)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
why make it that difficult? Do it the same way android uses it, have an icon next to the search result (contact card, music, app, browser, etc)

Thing is, they really want the search button to do Bing searches, so you have to separate it somehow in the results screen, like the pic above.

gcubed

yeah, nothing wrong with that.

Thing is, they really want the search button to do Bing searches, so you have to separate it somehow in the results screen, like the pic above.

that picture above is how android does it (although it doesnt allow you to narrow down and only show certain types.

Man the OS is going to be so much nicer with a good resolution screen.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
The invitation.

http://i.imgur.com/uARoQ.png[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BrEbR.png[IMG]

Funny how much better it looks, when you remove shitty design trends from 5 years ago.[/QUOTE]

you mean the color blue?
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/E5vST.png
5w1DF.png

oh yeaa. much better. JUST LOOK AT HOW MUCH BETTER IT LOOKS.

ಠ_ಠ

gcubed

seriously, if the last post didn't happen, i never would have known what the difference was. At least the removal of the black on the bottom takes it out of the ugly category and has firmly planted it in the "meh" category... an improvement!

Troll

Banned
The invitation.

uARoQ.png
BrEbR.png

Funny how much better it looks, when you remove shitty design trends from 5 years ago.

The iPhone itself leaks, the new OS leaks, damn Apple sure is different without Steve.

Honestly I am not a huge fan of that, waaay too busy for me at least.

giga

Hey, it'd be cool if I could make the physical search button universal search instead of bing. And maybe contextual search for apps that use them like before, yeah?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Hey, it'd be cool if I could make the physical search button universal search instead of bing. And maybe contextual search for apps that use them like before, yeah?

don't talk shit about total bing.

seriously though i hope W8 phones bring uni search and maybe bing search with a long press.
Windows Phone 7.5 should've been Windows Phone 7.

I'm not saying I'll abandon Windows Phone for iOS (or Android lol), but with that UI, I won't fall asleep when I use the iPad 4 next year.

hoesntly if iOS doesn't change drastically, not just UI wise, i would rather go droid ( as broken as it may be), at least they're changing shit up every now and then.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
iOS is the worst part of my iPad. I'm hoping for a real refresh and those changes, while minor, are a step in the right direction.

And I've been saying for a while that having a "Bing" button is a terrible waste of prime real estate and the rumors of a second search button in addition to the physical button prove it.

So what are the chances of MS and Nokia adopting a screen resolution/aspect ratio other than 16:9, 1280x720p for WP8?

Pretty much 0%, eh? Guess I just have to deal with 16:9 on my smartphones from here on out.. What a load of shit.

JaggedSac

So what are the chances of MS and Nokia adopting a screen resolution/aspect ratio other than 16:9, 1280x720p for WP8?

Pretty much 0%, eh? Guess I just have to deal with 16:9 on my smartphones from here on out.. What a load of shit.

Think there was a slide from a presentation that showed quite a few different form factors.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I hope wp8 doesn't set an artificial resolution limit of 720p, android phones are going to be at 1080p in the fall. Resolution is becoming a big deal thanks to Apple, and it doesn't make sense to be continually behind the resolution and horsepower race when you're already behind in market share.

maeh2k

I think they made the right call when they removed the contextual functionality of the search button. Consistency is a good thing and I believe a lot of users (at least my mother) didn't know how the button would work in different contexts.

I'd like to see them bring the search contract over from Windows 8. It makes sense to be able to search stuff within different apps.

gcubed

I hope wp8 doesn't set an artificial resolution limit of 720p, android phones are going to be at 1080p in the fall. Resolution is becoming a big deal thanks to Apple, and it doesn't make sense to be continually behind the resolution and horsepower race when you're already behind in market share.

i wouldnt think they would. i believe with the new kernel its all scaleable, beyond some certification testing i would hope its good to go

Milchjon

I also use the search button a lot.

I try to use it all the time and it almost always sucks when the result isn't way obvious. Is this different from region to region or does Bing suck overall? I usually try Bing first and then switch to Google when I really need to find something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom