• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
13-Nokia-Windows-Phone.jpg

That's actually a slide from Asus's presentation, and it's just a single device on the right.

I try to use it all the time and it almost always sucks when the result isn't way obvious. Is this different from region to region or does Bing suck overall? I usually try Bing first and then switch to Google when I really need to find something.

I use Bing in the U.S. and have no complaints about it.

Milly79

Think my Radar is broken. :(

After I unplug it after charging, the WiFi works for all of about 2 minutes, while staying connected, and won't load anything after that. Everything else on the network works fine. I really wish we could change settings in the WiFi options.

c5qAp.png

wGt5M.png

Notice the difference?

That's why I was always so lukewarm about the 800. It sure lookes nice, but even among the Windows Phones it was always just a mid-range device. Pentile display, no gyro, no FFC. Flagship phone my ass.

Milchjon

Hrm... That's weird. I was able to download it even though it said it used features my phone didn't have (gyroscope).

My bad, you're right. Will test it out now.

The one thing that's still missing that should've been out weeks ago is Nokia Reading. It was announced officially for Germany, if I use a weblink it shows up with a German description, but I can't download it.

Milchjon

What's a realistic limit for smartphone screen resolution? I'd guess that 720p isn't really future proof when some handsets out now are already at that level, but is a higher resolution even worth it?

What's a realistic limit for smartphone screen resolution? I'd guess that 720p isn't really future proof when some handsets out now are already at that level, but is a higher resolution even worth it?

LG showed off their 5" 1080p display earlier this week. I'd like a 4" version of that.

LG has announced a new 5-inch smartphone display with a 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution and a whopping 440ppi pixel density.

The display is based on AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching) technology, which — claims LG — offers high color fidelity, wide viewing angles, stable image and rapid response speed when touched.

kehs

Banned
The main hindrance for upping more resolution right now is battery life. 720p screens are total battery drainers.

PG2G

I really don't see a need for 1080p at your typical phones screen size.

At 5", LG's 1080p screen is 440ppi. At 5" it is already unnecessary, go lower and there is even less of a point. All we'd be doing is forcing the need for a much better GPU and killing battery in the process.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Apollo needs to offer 1080p support. It just doesn't make sense to continually be needing updates to support new hardware. Just bake all that in and have the oem go through device certification. Since windows 8 supports 1080p I'm going to assume that Apollo does as well.

PG2G

Apollo needs to offer 1080p support. It just doesn't make sense to continually be needing updates to support new hardware. Just bake all that in and have the oem go through device certification. Since windows 8 supports 1080p I'm going to assume that Apollo does as well.

If you're at a screen size that actually benefits from 1080p, you might as well be on a Windows RT tablet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Those types of short sighted posts are always wrong. Two years ago, Apple hadn't introduced retina and very few people cared about resolution. I think the benefits of high ppi screens are more apparent now and to artificially limit it through software is stupid.

I had a friend who laughed when I got my Nexus One and asked why in the world I would need a gigahertz processor on a phone. The point is, dont let the software limit what the hardware makers can do in terms of pushing technology, let the consumers decide and MS just needs to focus on certifying and making sure the software runs well as it has so far.

PG2G

Those types of short sighted posts are always wrong. Two years ago, Apple hadn't introduced retina and very few people cared about resolution. I think the benefits of high ppi screens are more apparent now and to artificially limit it through software is stupid.

I had a friend who laughed when I got my Nexus One and asked why in the world I would need a gigahertz processor on a phone. The point is, dont let the software limit what the hardware makers can do in terms of pushing technology, let the consumers decide and MS just needs to focus on certifying and making sure the software runs well as it has so far.

Sorry, but the comparison is silly. Software complexity continues to increase, thus the need for more ram and faster processors. On the other hand, the benefits of a ppi depend entirely on a person's visual acuity. I don't get the impression that there will be any breakthroughs in that area any time soon.

Commodore

As long as 1080p doesn't overtly affect battery life, sure. I'm always of the opinion that a good phone hardware design is best served by optimizing/balancing battery life with high end hardware. If a quad core processor goes in, but battery life goes down by half, to me, not worth it despite performance gains.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
As long as 1080p doesn't overtly affect battery life, sure. I'm always of the opinion that a good phone hardware design is best served by optimizing/balancing battery life with high end hardware. If a quad core processor goes in, but battery life goes down by half, to me, not worth it despite performance gains.

I agree, but what's important to us individually is not really relevant to what the market wants and expects, and high end Android phones sell a ton, and Apple has been good about the hardware they put into phones. I'm saying that, irregardless of what you and I want, MS should give their hardware partners as much flexibility as possible without compromising the fluidity and consistency we all love. If 1080p turns out to be the "hot" feature in phones next spring, oem's shouldn't have to wait on a software update to allow it.

I don't get the impression that there will be any breakthroughs in that area any time soon

What the hell do you know about what breakthroughs are next in screen tech? Just let the software support it and let the market decide.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I agree, but what's important to us individually is not really relevant to what the market wants and expects, and high end Android phones sell a ton, and Apple has been good about the hardware they put into phones. I'm saying that, irregardless of what you and I want, MS should give their hardware partners as much flexibility as possible without compromising the fluidity and consistency we all love. If 1080p turns out to be the "hot" feature in phones next spring, oem's shouldn't have to wait on a software update to allow it.

What the hell do you know about what breakthroughs are next in screen tech? Just let the software support it and let the market decide.

If it's using the Win RT kernel the support will already be available anyways.

Still I think his point does stand. Nothings going to change in terms of a 4.x" phone sp many inches away from your face no matter the tech seems diminishing returns beyond a certain point. That's not going to change unless our human vision really changes.

It's a moot point though as 1080 will already easily be in the Win RT kernel.

The question is do I want a 4" 720p version of my Focus in probably a nokia phone or would I like a 1080p version of something similar to a 5" Windows Phone version of the Galaxy Note.

venne

If it's using the Win RT kernel the support will already be available anyways.

Still I think his point does stand. Nothings going to change in terms of a 4.x" phone sp many inches away from your face no matter the tech seems diminishing returns beyond a certain point. That's not going to change unless our human vision really changes.

It's a moot point though as 1080 will already easily be in the Win RT kernel.

The question is do I want a 4" 720p version of my Focus in probably a nokia phone or would I like a 1080p version of something similar to a 5" Windows Phone version of the Galaxy Note.

Note.

Definitely.

Phones aren't phones for most people. They're pocket computers. Small screens suck on pocket computers. Even Apple is realizing that.

thirty

Banned
I sure hope the difference between 720 and 768 res isn't on screen buttons like on the nexus. I hate that useless screen space.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tried wiggling your phone in a figure 8?

Held it out and did the figure 8, spun it around while doing the figure 8, did a slow figure 8, a fast one, can't get it to calibrate. I downloaded another app and the gyro is fine. So frustrating cause I like the app.

edit: nevermind, I gave it to my wife and within seconds she calibrated it. I've been trying figure 8's all friggin afternoon. I have no idea what she did differently.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I had a weird thing happen with my 900. I was on a call and after the call ended my touch screen didn't work and it showed a ? in the battery symbol. I had hold the power button till it completely shut off. It is ok now, but still a strange issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom