• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
oh hey guys look.
dPR5O.png

almost 7 whole percent. PROGRESS!

zedge

oh hey guys look.
dPR5O.png

almost 7 whole percent. PROGRESS!

Still more than WP7's market share. :p

Don't get the big deal really, do all the phones in gingerbread not work? Who cares if they have ICS yet. I have to wonder how Nokia would be doing now if they went with Android rather than windows. Look no further than Samsung for what Android has done for them.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

Don't get the big deal really, do all the phones in gingerbread not work? Who cares if they have ICS yet. I have to wonder how Nokia would be doing now if they went with Android rather than windows. Look no further than Samsung for what Android has done for them.
ಠ_ಠ

ib1YrLgFrdagK1.gif

kehs

Banned
ಠ_ಠ

ib1YrLgFrdagK1.gif

Most people dont man, honest truth. I updated a nexus s and .....outside of a little performance there isn't much of a difference. At least for the person using it. For me, there's a big difference, but most people don't care about things like HID support.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Most people dont man, honest truth. I updated a nexus s and .....outside of a little performance there isn't much of a difference. At least for the person using it. For me, there's a big difference, but most people don't care about things like HID support.

in a platform where performance is on of the main issue. every little bit helps. imo anyways.

kehs

Banned
xbhiip.jpg

in a platform where performance is a main issue. every little bit helps.

meh, the nexus S (dat exynos) did very well on GB, and again, regular users aren't anywhere near maxing out the hardware.

It helps, but it's not as end-of-the-world are people make it out to be unless you're on really low end hardware. Most people worried about those types of performance things probably wont hang on to hardware for more than a year anyways.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
meh, the nexus S (dat exynos) did very well on GB, and again, regular users aren't anywhere near maxing out the hardware.

It helps, but it's not as end-of-the-world are people make it out to be unless you're on really low end hardware. Most people worried about those types of performance things probably wont hang on to hardware for more than a year anyways.
its kind of staggering going from iphone 4s to G nexsus with a few widgets.

the common person maybe dumb but they're not stupid.

kehs

Banned
its kind of staggering going from iphone 4s to G nexsus with a few widgets.

the common person maybe dumb but they're not stupid.

I won't disagree that iOS runs great on their hardware, but were not talking about someone going from an iphone to an android, we're talking about someone already on GB moving to ICS. Ignorance is bliss and all that jazz.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I won't disagree that iOS runs great on their hardware, but were not talking about someone going from an iphone to an android, we're talking about someone already on GB moving to ICS. Ignorance is bliss and all that jazz.
no we are not. we are talking about how important performance is to a platform. and going from GB to ICS. also performance isn't the only factor. what happens when jelly bean comes out. ignorance will only get you so far. if this was about someone going from iOS to droid. then it would be because of boredom nothing else.

kehs

Banned
no we are not. we are talking about how important performance is to a platform. and going from GB to ICS. also performance isn't the only factor. what happens when jelly bean comes out. ignorance will only get you so far. if this was about someone going from iOS to droid. then it would be because of boredom nothing else.

Right, but it's not like GB is missing things like sharing between apps, or a notification center, or built in VOIP, or ability to change default apps, or apps not restarting when you start them from the launcher, or well...you get the point.

GB was/is pretty feature complete for phones. Most of the HC/ICS additions have been for alternate form factors and additional features, not features that existed on symbian.

Walshicus

I think it's more a case of what Samsung has done for Android.

PG2G

Funny how Windows 8 isn't out yet and most of the apps already do live tiles much better than Windows Phone. Haven't had any WP style frozen tiles either, hopefully whatever improvements have been made to the live tile/notification system will make their way into Windows Phone.

Out of curiosity, what would you guys like to see make the transition from Windows 8 to Windows Phone?

kharma45

Out of curiosity, what would you guys like to see make the transition from Windows 8 to Windows Phone?

More colour options, resizable tiles, search within apps with the search button (as it was pre-Mango).

Can't think of much else as I haven't used W8 that much.

Funny how Windows 8 isn't out yet and most of the apps already do live tiles much better than Windows Phone. Haven't had any WP style frozen tiles either, hopefully whatever improvements have been made to the live tile/notification system will make their way into Windows Phone.

Contracts and charm bar.

Working notifications.

PG2G

You know what's funny...

1. Launch an app from home screen in Windows Phone - fresh instance of app
2. Launch an app from home screen in Windows 8 - existing instance of app

That shit HAAAAAS to change in Windows Phone.

You know what's funny...

1. Launch an app from home screen in Windows Phone - fresh instance of app
2. Launch an app from home screen in Windows 8 - existing instance of app

That shit HAAAAAS to change in Windows Phone.

Funny, because when I played with the RP yesterday, I had that exact WP behavior with the music app (which is already total and utter shit). It was obviously a bug, but still made me chuckle.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Funny, because when I played with the RP yesterday, I had that exact WP behavior with the music app (which is already total and utter shit). It was obviously a bug, but still made me chuckle.
fuck i wish they would just use zune. why doesn't someone do something about this.
Even if devices aren't upgradeable, beating 7% should be cake with the small amount of devices out there
thats if WP8 isn't a whole new set of devices

thirty

Banned
all these new lumia exclusive apps are killing me. Apollo Lumia phones cant come soon enough. really, add pureview, industry leading designs, and nokia is looking like the only choice next gen.

frontieruk

all these new lumia exclusive apps are killing me. Apollo Lumia phones cant come soon enough. really, add pureview, industry leading designs, and nokia is looking like the only choice next gen.

We won't see pureview in the first gen of Apollo, they may show up in the spring refresh but I'm thinking Nokia want a more solid launch than what we saw with the 800 with battery issues and random deaths and the 900 and it's LTE problems.

Troll

Banned
If WP8 isn't good I'll have to jump ship. I mean, I'll always have my focus so I can just use that if I need to, but the new iPhone is probably going to be siiick and who knows what Jelly Bean will be like. Two years of waiting has kind of jaded me.

;(

Milchjon

Well, at least you're not teased with "launched" but unavailable apps like German Lumia users. Both Nokia's eBook-reader and the Dark Knight Rises app can't be downloaded even though the description is in German...

frontieruk

If WP8 isn't good I'll have to jump ship. I mean, I'll always have my focus so I can just use that if I need to, but the new iPhone is probably going to be siiick and who knows what Jelly Bean will be like. Two years of waiting has kind of jaded me.

;(

Why wouldn't it be good? 7.5 is still slicker than the competition, hardware specs are being raised, the only thing from a hardware standpoint I can't see is Nokia pureview everything else will pretty much match android devices, iOS will be iOS some layout tweaks some colour tweaks but no real change in how it works, you don't alienate your bread and butter which may be a bitter pill for ms at windows 8 launch as metro isn't really an enterprise interface.

Troll

Banned
Why wouldn't it be good? 7.5 is still slicker than the competition, hardware specs are being raised, the only thing from a hardware standpoint I can't see is Nokia pureview everything else will pretty much match android devices, iOS will be iOS some layout tweaks some colour tweaks but no real change in how it works, you don't alienate your bread and butter which may be a bitter pill for ms at windows 8 launch as metro isn't really an enterprise interface.

My dream phone is a Windows Phone 8 Pure View quad core Nokia phone with a 1080p display. I just have a feeling that Pureview is a ways off, and multiple cores are too. IDK, I am obviously waiting to see what WP8 has to offer, but I can't wait too much longer for cutting edge tech. My biggest gripe was the screen size to the iPhone, but I hate the rumored aspect ratio (why the fuck would you just make it taller?!?)

Man, I'm trying to find a cheap Windows Phone for my mom but they really aren't as cheap as I thought. I'm looking at a 100-150 euro range. I guess I'll have to buy one used. I'm digging the look of the Omnia 7 and my mom liked the lumia 710 (black and pink).

The 610 really has to hurry up :p

Man, I'm trying to find a cheap Windows Phone for my mom but they really aren't as cheap as I thought. I'm looking at a 100-150 euro range. I guess I'll have to buy one used. I'm digging the look of the Omnia 7 and my mom liked the lumia 710 (black and pink).

The 610 really has to hurry up :p

610 is not worth it. 710 or a first gen phone is still the best cheap option.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My dream phone is a Windows Phone 8 Pure View quad core Nokia phone with a 1080p display. I just have a feeling that Pureview is a ways off, and multiple cores are too.

You know we will have multiple cores this fall. 1080p I'm not sure about, but no platform may have that in mass production by this fall, we will have to see about that. Look, I'm in the same boat as you, and I've already owned the other platforms, but I'm having a hard time picturing a scenario where Apollo won't be competitive, in hardware or software. Lucky for us, we will find out for sure this month.

PG2G

My dream phone is a Windows Phone 8 Pure View quad core Nokia phone with a 1080p display.

Just to get the expectations in check, it'll be dual core (the S4 dual core performs as well as the quad core tegra and exynos) and most likely 720p. Might get the Pro version of the S4 with a beefier GPU, we'll see.

I just hope the device i want makes it way to my carrier :p

frontieruk

Huh? Isn't multi core a given for the Windows Phone 8 launch? Or do you mean multi as > 2?

Nokia want to move away from Qualcomm's chipset to STericssons' which only recently got approved vendor status, Nokia will develop pureview and multicore around that chipset so I really don't expect to see a Nokia multicore this fall, it'll be a stop gap device like the 800 (it's still a good handset before anyone gets upset)

PG2G

I could see a lack of pureview (it has been rumored already), but i would be very surprised if we didn't see multiple Nokia multi core phones at Windows Phone 8 launch. Nokia doesn't have time or the money to wait until spring to launch a compelling product. Especially to give up the holiday season? I really dont see a chance of that happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom