• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm liking what I've seen about this ecosystem. Asus and Acer are giving me the laptop/tablet I want. It finally will feel like a family of products. I'm excited for Apollo, Xbox is still strong, let's just hope that ms actually delivers, they've been making promises for a while.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like this thread is safe from the insanity on the Gaming side (until we got official confirmation that current devices won't get Apollo :p).

giga

samdsc03109.jpg

What have they done to metro :(

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Windows 8 needs a option to pick how many tiles you want in a row. 1920x1080 allows for six and i think that is a little much.

PG2G

Windows 8 needs a option to pick how many tiles you want in a row. 1920x1080 allows for six and i think that is a little much.

Yeah... But what would be on the rest of the screen? It'd look even worse if you just kept making the tiles bigger

Talon

To be honest though, it looks way cleaner (and more organized) than many of my co-workers' XP desktops.
This is sadly true.

At least it's by their own choice to clutter up their desktops. I get a kick out of the fact that Windows 8 takes the glancability of WP and sets it on fire.

JaggedSac

This is sadly true.

At least it's by their own choice to clutter up their desktops. I get a kick out of the fact that Windows 8 takes the glancability of WP and sets it on fire.

You can pin whatever you want to your start screen. Could have 1 thing on there if you wanted.

PG2G

This is sadly true.

How does it differ from Windows Phone outside of being multi colored and horizontal instead of vertical?

Q: You recently announced a new music service, Xbox Music. What’s happening to Zune?

A: The Zune music and video service has been a key component of Microsoft’s entertainment offering. We’re using our expertise from Zune to launch a brand-new music service under the Xbox Music brand. When we launch, Xbox Music will bring you a world-class music library, and great new ways to enjoy, share and discover new music. We will release Xbox music on Xbox 360, Windows Phones and Windows 8 PCs and Tablets. Click HERE to watch the video from our E3 announcement.

Q: I’m a Zune subscriber. What happens to my music collection?

A: Zune Music Pass subscribers will continue to enjoy their subscription music collection via the Xbox Music service. We’re confident Zune users will enjoy Xbox Music and we will share more details closer to launch.

Q: How will Xbox Music work? Will I need a subscription? How much will Xbox Music cost?

A: Xbox Music will bring you a world class music library and great new ways to enjoy, share and discover new music on the Xbox console, Windows Phones, and Windows 8 PCs and tablets. We will have more to tell you soon about our specific plans.

Q: When will Xbox Music be available?

A: We’ll have more to share on timing and specific product details soon.
www.zune.net/en-us/promotions/xboxmusic.htm

They announced nothing.

A bit off topic, but Brandon Watson, former Windows Phone Program Manager, speaks a bit on working at Amazon:

On Working At Amazon

Three months still puts me in the honeymoon phase, but there is a statement I made to my wife after the first week which still holds true (and she cringes every time I say it): “I haven’t left work once wanting to punch anyone in the face.”
http://www.manyniches.com/professional/on-working-at-amazon/

:lol

But seriously, it's an interesting piece and shows the many things that are wrong with the company culture at Microsoft.

gcubed

That is a serious bump in the number of songs. I hope they fix the meta data for places outside the states. I'm torn about having the client on other devices. It is good to have some exclusive features imo.

i find it strange too. I mean, sure, the apps should have wide presence, as long as the best experience (or some kind of unique experience) is on WP

kharma45

they need to make the basic zune pass free. you cant have zune pass be a billion dollar per month and basic spotify be free.

I'd say basic free music streaming (with or without ads) would help the platform too if were baked into the OS, but something a bit better than Nokia Music as it only allows so many skips etc.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
they need to make the basic zune pass free. you cant have zune pass be a billion dollar per month and basic spotify be free.

I'd agree with this. Problem is Spotify charges for mobile and leaves the desktop app as being free for streaming. With the way companies are handling W8 though what platform would the "desktop" app fall under. iPad is considered mobile, but a ton of the W8 stuff is all hybrid laptops.

Fjolle

The only reason basic spotify can be free is that it doesn't work on mobiles and that you will go crazy from the commercials if you actually use it.

A bit off topic, but Brandon Watson, former Windows Phone Program Manager, speaks a bit on working at Amazon:

http://www.manyniches.com/professional/on-working-at-amazon/

:lol

But seriously, it's an interesting piece and shows the many things that are wrong with the company culture at Microsoft.

What’s important to take away here is that there is no presumption of stupidity on the part of the speaker. I know I have been in many meetings where a decision needed to be made, and there was almost a palpable sense of contempt emanating from people in the room, each just waiting to pounce, willing to derail an entire meeting on some point of minutia, just to show how smart they are and how stupid the speaker is. It’s a toxic and corrosive ethos, and is (as of yet) unseen at Amazon.

This quote tell you plenty about the inner working at Microsoft. It's little wonder their products always end up an incoherent mess.

Troll

Banned
Hmm, don't you have a Titan also? I am also having problem doing wireless sync with my Titan recently.

OG focus here.

So who's excited a out the June 20th conference? It will go a long way to convince me to keep buying WP, or it could tip the boat the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom