• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Why would anyone expect new WP news tomorrow, when the WP developer summit is in few weeks?
Because the developer summit will likely only concentrate on gaming news. E3 should bring lots of Apollo information that will be especially useful for end users and developers.

Now that Nintendo is going to have a mobile app for the Wii U, what do you think how long it will take for Nintendo to publish a Windows Phone app? 2 years? 3 years?

e: Awww, it's a browser app, not native one. WP gets it day one. :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hope if Windows Phone jumps the shark in the same way Nintendo has, that I can actually pick up on it and bail out. Damn that presentation was shit.

People actually think that social stuff looks good? It looks shit and it shows once again Nintendo hasn't a fucking clue what to do with the Internet.

gcubed

I'm anxiously awaiting some kind of integration with live/Xbox and WPx. The 360 slowly took over as my everyday console, but the leaked information about that app isn't doing anything for me. I'm sure there is quite a bit more (or at least clarification) that is missing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Now that Nintendo is going to have a mobile app for the Wii U, what do you think how long it will take for Nintendo to publish a Windows Phone app? 2 years? 3 years?

e: Awww, it's a browser app, not native one. WP gets it day one. :(

Do we know this is 110% the case?

People actually think that social stuff looks good? It looks shit and it shows once again Nintendo hasn't a fucking clue what to do with the Internet.

Presentation was horrible for that video, but I like the functionality. It's basically Dark/Demon Souls built into your console. You can also just toggle it off, but I know I'd use that with my friends if my core Wii friends all get Wii-Us. The video was horrible though, but most of these PR like videos are really bad. You had to look through the shitty presentation to the functionality at hand.

So who's watching MS's presser today? If you own a 360, they released a streaming app for it on the dash. I expect a lot in the form of Windows 8 to Xbox to Windows Phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So who's watching MS's presser today? If you own a 360, they released a streaming app for it on the dash. I expect a lot in the form of Windows 8 to Xbox to Windows Phone.

I'll be at work, but I have it set to record on my DVR since it'll be in spike tv. Will there be a stream that works on mobile?

Milchjon

I never dl the third party apps, I guess I am one of "those" people. Have you ever used the first party app on iOS?

Nope.

I was snobby like that before, but on WP7 3rd party apps are often better than the original (4th & Mayor, all those Twitter apps...) or official apps are not even available, so they'll have to suffice.

Also, from my experience it's harder to make REALLY ugly apps on WP7. The Wolfram Alpha app seems to have all the necessary functionality and a few goodies on top.

I got to try Nokia Music's mix radio and I'm not that impressed. You can only skip six songs on hour, even when you downloaded them. It's not bad considering it's free, but no replacement for Zune by any means.

Troll

Banned
I got to try Nokia Music's mix radio and I'm not that impressed. You can only skip six songs on hour, even when you downloaded them. It's not bad considering it's free, but no replacement for Zune by any means.

When you download the song does it go to your phone's library or is it stuck in the app?

When you download the song does it go to your phone's library or is it stuck in the app?

You don't download individual songs, but the mixes they offer. So those mixes are stuck inside the app and like I said, you can't skip more of 6 in an hour, even when they're offline. You can't look into the playlist either.

Troll

Banned
You don't download individual songs, but the mixes they offer. So those mixes are stuck inside the app and like I said, you can't skip more of 6 in an hour, even when they're offline.

That's... interesting. I get what they are doing, but I think I would pass.

Milchjon

With no Zune in Germany, it's all I have and I like it. Free, no ads, offline mode, some variety and at least I can skip the very worst stuff. It's radio, but better.

Of course I could pay for Spotify, but for the time being, I'm ok with this app.

Troll

Banned
With no Zune in Germany, it's all I have and I like it. Free, no ads, offline mode, some variety and at least I can skip the very worst stuff. It's radio, but better.

Of course I could pay for Spotify, but for the time being, I'm ok with this app.

Spotify ist sehr gut meinen freund.

That's strange, my Zune is having syncing issues too.

I got this problem after the semi hard reset my phone did. When I plug my phone into my PC, I always get the first setup screen and after that I can't change the sync relationship or sync any files. Pretty annoying.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jakob Nielsen thumbs up

Windows Phone User Testing
We recently conducted some usability research with Windows Phone in Amsterdam. (Doing this research in Europe because Nokia is much more popular there than in the U.S.) I was pleasantly surprised. The live tiles worked well, and user reactions to the phone were positive.

On the other hand, task performance using actual websites was less positive.

Our sample size was too small to conclusively state whether current mobile sites work better or worse on Windows Phone than on other popular phones. All I can say at this time is that you should consider testing your mobile site with Windows Phone users if you expect this platform to be important for you.

We will probably have more to say later, after the new version of Windows Phone ships and we've tested it with more users in more countries.

See also: Nice (but looong) article on the interaction design concepts in Windows 8.

Woot:

summit.png

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, that seems bigger than the Zune catalog. The figure I remember was 19 million.

Can't say in excited about this, the app looks like the terrible apps on windows 8. Its good for random consumption, but if you have a large library already, its terrible for managing that. At some point they'll have to talk about syncing content to devices as well.

This all seems like a step backwards from Zune, but we will see.

Yeah, that seems bigger than the Zune catalog. The figure I remember was 19 million.

Can't say in excited about this, the app looks like the terrible apps on windows 8. Its good for random consumption, but if you have a large library already, its terrible for managing that. At some point they'll have to talk about syncing content to devices as well.

This all seems like a step backwards from Zune, but we will see.

? That was the terrible Windows 8 app. A newer version with Smart DJ, but still the same app.

Commodore

Xbox Music was announced for Windows 8, Xbox 360 and Windows Phone. No other info yet.

Verge has a video and a bit more info.

They didn't show much on the mobile end of things in the video, more using a tablet to control access to a TV. More interesting is XBOX music will apparently be accessible from "every screen" finally opening up and giving everyone a chance to use their music service which has been fantastic for a long long time. Seems like we'll hear more about it later this month with Apollo stuff.

JCX

That Windows 8 tablet used during Microsoft's E3 presentation looked nice. Such a great UI for tablets.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the Galaxy S3 is going up for North American preorders on Verizon in the US Wed. I wonder what kind of Windows Phone variant of that phone we'll get, and if it would be worth it over any offering from Nokia.

Hell at this point I wonder why anyone else should even make a WP device if Nokia is going to get all of these exclusive apps and a big carrier push.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom